Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I demand nothing but C l a s s i n e s s from my players. I don't care if I lose games because my best player is in the reserves. You weren't classy enough for me.

No one is bigger than the club! Fight on mighty Marine AFCs !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One of the best moments in any FM game is when you become a big enough deal as manager that every time a player comes to you wanting something you tell them "gently caress you you little poo poo we've won the league ten times in a row and I'm in charge here so you do what I want" and they meekly return to being happy with their tiny wage or lack of transfer or whatever.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I spent like 3 seasons just telling world class players to harden up and it worked and then all of a sudden this season they're all getting mad and not listening when I tell them to shut up. Admittedly my squad is massive, there's 5 or 6 players complaining about not getting enough game time, but if I sell any of them the rest of the team get up in arms about us selling a 'crucial first team player' ffs

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I spent like 3 seasons just telling world class players to harden up and it worked and then all of a sudden this season they're all getting mad and not listening when I tell them to shut up. Admittedly my squad is massive, there's 5 or 6 players complaining about not getting enough game time, but if I sell any of them the rest of the team get up in arms about us selling a 'crucial first team player' ffs

Nuke the team - Use up all your wage budgets and give HORRIBLE contracts and then just loving bounce.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

I had a game of FM15 where I had one guy complain about squad depth every single time we sold a single player and when I told him not to worry about it the whole team revolted. Every single time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I’m still a new player and I’ve already learned to almost never promise anyone anything, because promise tracking is buggy as hell and you’ll usually auto fail.

Seems like unless you’re playing easy mode and gave yourself a huge starting rep and/or man management stat, it’s best to have an rear end man with high man management and/or captain with high leadership and basically never condescend to talk directly to your players about anything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Michael Owen is a pretty good cup manager in my long-running FM11 game:

After leaving Man United as a player, he helped Birmingham get promoted before retiring.
Spent a couple seasons learning the ropes as a coach at Everton (lol)
Then got hired as the Stoke manager right at the end of a season when they were relegated. He led them to fourth place in the Championship in his first full season and got promoted via the playoffs. Finished 17th in the Premier League his second season in charge. Third season, he left in November to manage West Ham.
He led West Ham to 17th in the Premier League that season. Then an 11th-place finish but also an FA Cup final, which he lost to my Liverpool side. Next season he took them to 13th in the league but made it to the second round of the Europa League knockout stage. That summer he was recruited to be the England manager.
Took England to the 2022 World Cup, where they finished third. Then he took them to the 2024 Euros, where they were the beaten finalist, this time losing to my France team. After that he decided to leave on a high note and manage Wolves. They're currently 15th in the Premier League.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Michael Owen is a pretty good cup manager in my long-running FM11 game:

After leaving Man United as a player, he helped Birmingham get promoted before retiring.
Spent a couple seasons learning the ropes as a coach at Everton (lol)
Then got hired as the Stoke manager right at the end of a season when they were relegated. He led them to fourth place in the Championship in his first full season and got promoted via the playoffs. Finished 17th in the Premier League his second season in charge. Third season, he left in November to manage West Ham.
He led West Ham to 17th in the Premier League that season. Then an 11th-place finish but also an FA Cup final, which he lost to my Liverpool side. Next season he took them to 13th in the league but made it to the second round of the Europa League knockout stage. That summer he was recruited to be the England manager.
Took England to the 2022 World Cup, where they finished third. Then he took them to the 2024 Euros, where they were the beaten finalist, this time losing to my France team. After that he decided to leave on a high note and manage Wolves. They're currently 15th in the Premier League.

Sounds like a legit English manager. Good job, SI.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My favorite thing about this game is misclicking during a press conference and everyone flipping their poo poo

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite thing about this game is misclicking during a press conference and everyone flipping their poo poo

Or accidentally clicking "that wasn't good enough" after winning 5-0 and demoralizing the entire team

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wonder if a "constantly tell your team they suck and excoriate them in the press at every opportunity no matter how well they're playing" run is sustainable for any length of time without getting fired

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wonder if a "constantly tell your team they suck and excoriate them in the press at every opportunity no matter how well they're playing" run is sustainable for any length of time without getting fired

it'd be interesting to see if it works out to about the same amount of time it takes Mourinho to burn out at any given team, so I'm guessing about 3 seasons? That sounds like a fun experiment, at least.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
for a while I stormed out of every press conference and gave the team the hair dryer treatment every team talk. nothing happened, although the team was so strong they just sort of walked over everyone even with less than green morale

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Now I want to download a gamey exploit-the-engine tactic to make my players overperform and spend a career bouncing from job to job being a complete rear end in a top hat to absolutely everyone.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I usually get bored and start a new game before this point, so I just have to say it's really satisfying when you get to the part of a game where you can sell all of your veteran players or really just anyone who ever pisses you off for any reason, plug in some 20 year old, and still beat everyone

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I usually get bored and start a new game before this point, so I just have to say it's really satisfying when you get to the part of a game where you can sell all of your veteran players or really just anyone who ever pisses you off for any reason, plug in some 20 year old, and still beat everyone

yeah back when I had my yearly team revolt for daring to sell off a single unused player, I used to spend the first six or seven games of the season sitting all the complainers and still kept winning. That was the fun part imo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Hate

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Are you the guy who got so pissed off about PSG's spending you bankrupted them with the editor?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Are you the guy who got so pissed off about PSG's spending you bankrupted them with the editor?

No, I did once work out that they had a net transfer spend of over £1bn over the course of about 15 seasons in one of my saves, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kingturnip posted:

No, I did once work out that they had a net transfer spend of over £1bn over the course of about 15 seasons in one of my saves, though.

Honestly that seems conservative, no way they aren't spending at least £1bn over the next 15 years.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
PSG spent ~830m pounds net between 2018/2019 and 2027/2028 in my current save (though this includes Mbappe). Man City spent just over a billion in that time. West Ham (?!?) spent around 1.2b...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Honestly that seems conservative, no way they aren't spending at least £1bn over the next 15 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least double that, but it depends on how badly they run afoul of FFP

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This game crashes a lot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

This game crashes a lot.
Do you have a custom skin, because some of them do that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I haven't had it crash but it must have some sick memory leaks or something cos if it stays open for too long eventually it just stops rendering more and more match engine graphics

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, just the bog standard stock skin. I do play windowed though which apparently it doesn’t really like.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I haven't had it crash but it must have some sick memory leaks or something cos if it stays open for too long eventually it just stops rendering more and more match engine graphics

Yeah this might be it too. Seems like after a few hours it gets crashy. Though I’ve had it CTD just clicking through menus too.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I play windowed too, but I always have and this version seems to be one of the worst for degrading performance eventually. The worst was the one where after like 2 hours it'd just CTD with actual memory leak errors and freeze my whole machine for like 5 min.

CTD in menus normally seems to be an .xml error which would be caused by skins, I'd even try a custom skin to see if it's better optimised than the default cos SI are terrible

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I lost interest in custom skins when I noticed that nearly all of them include warnings that they’re for full screen only.

I can’t understand wanting to play FM in full screen, it’s very much a game you tab in and out of while doing other stuff for me :shrug: I usually have it on my second monitor.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2018

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Full-screen windowed mode. Easy to switch back forth to the other monitor, but you can still see all 50 columns of attributes and stats on the scouting screen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A skin that just makes it so you can actually read the league table

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An interesting situation has come up in my Accrington Stanley game:

In our second year in the Premiership, we finished 5th and went into the Europa League.

Our third year was our beast mode year. Accrington and Man City ran away from the rest of the Premiership and dueled down to the wire for the title, neither team losing a match until February. Fourth to last match of the season, Man City comes to Accrington leading by 2 points and with a soft remaining schedule. So a draw probably wins the Premiership for City, a City loss and we’re in the driver’s seat with one away game at Tottenham and two cream puff home games to go.

As expected, Man City parked the bus from the opening whistle. But we broke through in the 88th minute and won 1-0.

Meanwhile, we’ve been dominating the Europa League all year and are now in the semi-final. Where we were drawn against the Spurs. Who are also our next opponent in the Premiership. This sets up the unusual situation that we are playing the Spurs three times (away, away, home) in 8 days.

Moreover, Tottenham is now on the other end of what Chelsea did to them a few years back: they were near relegation, fired their manager in January, have now come back up to 12th place. But still alive in the EL and thus still alive for a Champions League berth next year.

Accrington has long since clinched their CL spot, and so beyond extra hardware always being nice, doesn’t have much reason to give a poo poo about the EL, but desperately wants to win the Premiership fixture. Whereas Tottenham doesn’t give a poo poo about the Premiership fixture but desperately wants to win the EL.

Seems pretty obvious that in this situation the managers would have an implicit understanding without even needing to speak to each other: you don’t try too hard to win today, I won’t try too hard to win Tuesday. (Plus by lying down for us in the Premiership fixture the Spurs can stick it to City and that’s always fun.)

As an American accustomed to how American sports work, I find this fascinating.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 2, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As an American accustomed to how American sports work, I find this fascinating.

If you think about it, it's not that unusual even here in the States, we just don't have the secondary titles to make it as overt. It mostly happens over playoff seeding and/or dicking over division rivals, usually under the guise of "resting your starters for <key game>" or "needing to get the rookies some experience" so you have plausible deniability as to why you have the popcorn salesman from Section G playing Cornerback. Though the runback immediately returning the favor is a nice touch.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Given that you are new to the Premiership, a UEFA cup win would do wonders for your reputation. You really should be going all out in both competitions.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

That whole situation makes me think: are there any competitions in real life that could somehow incentivize losing in the way that this notorious Barbados-Granada match did?

How would you manage that in FM? There's no option to induce an own goal, is there?

Or like Eric the Mauve posted up there, some sort of mutual agreement for the result of a match like West Germany and Austria in the '82 WC

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'm certain there was a football management game in the early naughts that let you bribe opponents to throw the game (which could be leaked to the media) but I can't remember which it was

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
NFL blitz allowed you to pump your players full of steroids to increase stats or come back from injury. I think this would be a great mechanic to add to FM19. Pump the lads full of testosterone

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Obliterati posted:

I'm certain there was a football management game in the early naughts that let you bribe opponents to throw the game (which could be leaked to the media) but I can't remember which it was

Ultimate Soccer Manager (2)

It also had a cool set piece creator where you could tell your players to punt it at goal direct from the kickoff and a weird in depth training planner and all sorts of cool poo poo. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways when CM was still text only.

e: this was back in the mid-late 90s so might not be the one you're thinking of.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Haha that stuff rules--kinda like early FIFA versions having the ability to dive. I think 06 or 07 were the last ones to have that?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Bring back the deliberate foul button and the referee strictness slider

E: also yes that was it - I remember the mad indepth training. Guess I just bought it late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

NFL blitz allowed you to pump your players full of steroids to increase stats or come back from injury. I think this would be a great mechanic to add to FM19. Pump the lads full of testosterone

All the clubs are already doing it. It would just be pointless busywork to make it a button. Do you want to dope yes/yes?

Doping aptitude is part of your manager's Motivation attribute.