Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I still want to know what Lucas had planned for Eps 7-9
The Episode 8 art book lays out a rough idea of what Lucas' Episode 7 would have been. It's roughly a compacted version of the existing 7/8 (a young girl searches for and finds Luke Skywalker in exile, and convinces him to help her fight the Jedi Killer that destroyed his academy years earlier).

Based in the timeline presented, some of the "guided imagery" from the TFA art book might be from Lucas' version, such as the Millennium Falcon being rediscovered on Felucia, a more alien Kylo Ren stand-in, and a journey to the Death Star II throne room, which sank to the bottom of a lake on Endor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

So you're just talking out your rear end here.

I am stating what actually happened in the film. Poe was going all Loose Cannon before Holdo's field promotion and so got cut out of the loop. Was it an optimal decision? Probably not. People don't always make optimal decisions. That's not plot holes, that's just human nature.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ingmar terdman posted:

Although I hope "Han Solo: liar?" enters the canon of perennial thread topics alongside "are droids people" and "is rey a mary sue" I hope the new movie shows Lando hitting the button on a space stopwatch and saying "Hann, you just did the Kessel run in [#] parsecs"

Well again, it’s a literacy test. Nobody actually cares about the fictional obstacle course. And a movie based on that line of dialogue, 40 years later, can only be its own interpretation - or misinterpretation - of the 1978 film.

What’s at stake is your ability to read.

When the vast majority of Star Wars fans have no clue about what happens in the movie Star Wars, you begin to think that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars. As Bill points out, the fan version of Han Solo - the pure original superhero, raped by George Lucas in their meme - is actually derived from the Special Editions.

SE Han is a rockstar pilot who’s not only Jabba’s peer but his friend. SE Han is carefree, spending money like water and routinely killing low-level ‘twerps’ for fun because he’s just that good. Of course fans presume that this Han can’t be wrong; language must be wrong - reality itself must be wrong.

(By this same logic, Luke can’t own slaves - therefore, when he chains and whips C3PO, he’s just chaining and whipping his toaster. If Luke were to torture R2D2 to death, this would be a necessary sacrifice to confirm Luke’s axiomatic righteousness.)

But the real Han, from the good version of the film, is at the bottom of the totem pole - lower in rank than even Greedo is. He’s bad at his job and hopelessly in debt. He lies and kills out of desperation - and not even to stay alive. Han kills to prevent the confiscation of his last remaining asset: a broken-down cargo boat.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 20, 2020

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Even though I think Lucas has become a terrible filmmaker (particularly post-SE), I do like how he intentionally modeled the Empire after America, even though most people still think it was initially modeled after Nazi Germany.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

can only be its own interpretation - or misinterpretation - of the 1978 film.

:crossarms:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I’m referring, of course, to the Holiday Special.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe the truth is in the middle.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's actually pretty interesting to follow the evolution of Han through the various drafts of the script.

In the earliest handwritten outline, Han Solo doesn't appear, but "Han Dardell Thorpe" is mentioned as the captain of a galactic cruiser, and the father of the protagonist - Chuiee "C.J." Thorpe

Han doesn't appear in the early synopsis based on The Hidden Fortress, but does reappear in the rough draft as
"a huge, green skinned monster with no nose and large gills."
Here he's an old friend of General Luke Skywalker, and helps Luke and Annikin Starkiller(the young protaginist) smuggle two unconscious young boys offworld in a stolen ship.

The first draft is pretty much identical to the rough draft, except some of the characters' names are changed - Annikin Starkiller is now called Justin Valor.

The second draft introduces the first human version of Han:

Star Wars Second Draft posted:

Luke is standing next to HAN SOLO, a young Corellian pirate only a few years older than himself. He is a burly-bearded but ruggedly handsome boy dressed in a gaudy array of flamboyant apparel.
This Han was allegedly inspired by Francis Ford Coppola, and is the first occurance of the character being hired by the protagonists as a mercenary.
In fact, after bullshitting his way into a contract with Luke (who is trying to rescue his older brother from the Empire), it's revealed that Han is just a cabin boy, and works with Chewbacca and a cyborg named Montross to steal the ship before Luke arrives for the trip.

By the third draft, Luke is joined by Obi-Wan, and Han is:

Star Wars Third Draft posted:

a tough James Dean style starpilot about twenty-five years old. A cowboy in a starship — simple, sentimental and cocksure of himself.
Again, Han is an underling of the ship's captain (now Jabba the Hutt), and has to steal it after bluffing his way into the job with Ben and Luke. The difference here is that Han actually built the ship (but still doesn't own it).

Han in the fourth draft is described identically to the third, but is aged up by 5 years. By this draft, Harrison Ford had already been cast in the role.
The major difference in this version is that the Falcon finally belongs to Han, and he's menaced by an Imperial Officer before he escapes the planet with Luke and Ben.

The revised fourth draft, which is what ended up onscreen, swapped the Imperial with Greedo and Jabba, bringing back more of Han's criminal edge.
The actor they hired to play the Imperial in the third draft was given a new character, and ended up getting force-choked by Vader.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

'they died' was genuinely a good response that sums up the problems with being unable to let characters you're attached to have the stories they already have and stop; the happy ending that was achieved in RotJ is undone only a few decades later because disney wanted to give people more han luke and leia

It also gave us the loving Hobbit movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

It also gave us the loving Hobbit movies.

not

one

PIEEEEEEEEEECE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

not

one

PIEEEEEEEEEECE

Also this: https://youtu.be/g0WDfNKX0Os?t=420

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gonz posted:

Solo is going to feature Han kicking some dude in the balls so hard, the guy shits his pants.

because the Ace Ventura version was accidentally sent to theaters instead

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Turtlicious posted:

maybe the truth is in the middle.

If you displace the truth to mitigate its effects, you aren’t dealing with truth anymore. That’s the thinking that leads to ‘grey jedi’. Like, “yeah bitch I’m a gray jedi; I believe in ethical consumption under capitalism.”

If we cut to the chase, fans reject the real Han Solo because he’s poor. He’s poor in an unglamorous way, where bootstraps and technology cannot help him.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

lmfao

This is even better than the Goblin Town/Droid Factory versions.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

thrawn527 posted:

(height changes based on the people wearing the VR suits. My wife is 4'11" and made for the shortest Stormtrooper I've ever seen).

That was one thing that made me laugh in Rogue One. Fortunately their shuttle was to be inspected by the shortest trooper in history so Jyn can fit in the suit.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i swear to god i don't remember these fight scenes at all

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

That was one thing that made me laugh in Rogue One. Fortunately their shuttle was to be inspected by the shortest trooper in history so Jyn can fit in the suit.

That dude wasn't even a trooper. He was just ground crew. I'm not even joking. He literally waved ships into land, that's their role when they're not fixing poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

i swear to god i don't remember these fight scenes at all

That part where he effortlessly decapitates like 100 orc was only in the extended version.

I think if the hobbit had leaned more into stupid poo poo like that, it would have been better.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That rules

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

On the next Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XERmXsP-U

Ron Howard summarizes "A New Hope" as if it was "Arrested Development"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Davros1 posted:

On the next Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XERmXsP-U

Ron Howard summarizes "A New Hope" as if it was "Arrested Development"

See, if Solo was like that, I'd be hype.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/991769791236014081

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

George convinced Ron to add a character to the movie: Darth Buttlips

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like that while Ron Howard is wearing an ID badge, but George is like "gently caress it, I'm George Lucas."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I said it before, but I would love it if George Lucas is secretly the director of Solo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Never trust what a director/writer says about their work, especially a known troll like George Lucas.

"They died" etc.

Han and Luke died already so he’s partially right.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

You know I'm honestly surprised they never made a set of rules for space-chess. It would sell like hotcakes. Sure it would have to use physical pieces instead of holograms but with the advent of video games you could just put it on IPhone instead.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

galagazombie posted:

You know I'm honestly surprised they never made a set of rules for space-chess. It would sell like hotcakes. Sure it would have to use physical pieces instead of holograms but with the advent of video games you could just put it on IPhone instead.

i'm fairly sure the (extremely bad) star wars mobile game is supposed to be this

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ungulateman posted:

i'm fairly sure the (extremely bad) star wars mobile game is supposed to be this

Galaxy of Heroes? Nah, beyond your characters being holograms, it's nothing like Dejarik (space chess). You play actual characters, not random monsters, and it's not even remotely like chess like Dejarik is modeled.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chewbacca is friend to all children.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcgRoJBGVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PeL33x24oI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacJt0v60Vk

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wake me when they do the charity porg roast

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That looks loving annoying if you're actually looking to board a real plane

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Tickets for Solo are up, FYI

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

galagazombie posted:

They did make a sabacc game and space chess side game in the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. By the way if you didn't/don't own SWCCG cards then I am so sorry for your loss. Game owned despite it being convoluted and not well balanced. Flavor text and lore was also good and, unlike legends, is still canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dialhforhero posted:

They did make a sabacc game and space chess side game in the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. By the way if you didn't/don't own SWCCG cards then I am so sorry for your loss. Game owned despite it being convoluted and not well balanced. Flavor text and lore was also good and, unlike legends, is still canon.

I liked it, but it got way too complicated as time went on. At launch (and for the first couple expansions), it was convoluted, but fine (you could only attack characters at the same location, there would be multiple locations per planet, you'd have to travel to new planets and locations to attack other characters, etc.). But expansion packs started adding epic events, like the ability to blow a planet up, or some other crazy poo poo, and by the time they got to Cloud City they just lost me.

You are right that the flavor text and lore were tons of fun.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pazaak is way better than sabacc anyways, when is someone gonna make a new pazaak game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Isn't Pazaak just Black Jack with slightly more interesting cards?