Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

xzzy posted:

Because I'm a passive aggressive dick I come to a complete stop just to annoy the person behind me. It's kind of funny to watch them feather their braking under the assumption I'm going to do a rolling stop, and a fraction of a second before they hit me they realize holy poo poo a complete stop and their bumper dips when they have to drop anchor.

Someday I'll get rear ended for it but it hasn't happened yet.

Guess I'm also a passive aggressive dick.

I'm that one guy out of a thousand cyclists that makes a point of actually stopping at stop signs. I stop, locked breaks & completely stopped, behind the plane of the stop sign just like the law says. No stopping in the crosswalk, no rolling through the stop sign.

Almost nobody comes to an actual, complete, locked brake stop at stop signs. Try it out sometime; Go ahead, just give it a try later today.

Totally lock your brakes until your car rocks forward and it makes your front shocks dip down: it's not something you're used to doing at stop signs. Count "one-missisippi" before you let off the brake pedal after your car has rocked forward. That's a complete stop. Do you remember the last time you performed one of those? You were probably 15 and taking your driver's test.

Y'all have no idea how mad it makes people to be behind a guy on a bike obeying the law and actually stopping at stop signs instead of rolling through them. The only thing worse than being behind a guy on a bike is being behind a guy on a bike following the law the letter of the law to a T. Seriously, people would be less angry at me if I blew through stop signs like they do.

Pisses people off even harder when they've clearly got the right of way and I refuse to let them wave me through a dangerous maneuver. People will literally stop in the middle of a 4 lane road and try to wave me across. Hello! Dipshit! The other lane I need to cross isn't stopping, just loving go already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I stop at nearly all stop signs. Yeah, complete, with shocks settling. It's...what they're for :shrug:.

You seem to be the outlier here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MisterOblivious posted:

Pisses people off even harder when they've clearly got the right of way and I refuse to let them wave me through a dangerous maneuver. People will literally stop in the middle of a 4 lane road and try to wave me across. Hello! Dipshit! The other lane I need to cross isn't stopping, just loving go already!
I bloody hate this. Just drive normally, and other people will fit around you.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I bet you keep your hands at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock at all times. :smuggo:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Two and four way stops are loving dumb. Just do a yield for the two-ways and roundabouts for the four-ways.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Two and four way stops are loving dumb. Just do a yield for the two-ways and roundabouts for the four-ways.

I can imagine someone trying to apply this to a state full of poorly-educated, lovely drivers like Georgia and the vast population culling that would come shortly afterward. :magical:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This morning I had to share the road with a horse in the fast lane. I’m thankful that most people slowed and I think the horse made it out alright based on what I’ve seen on social media. A car coming up on the scene almost didn’t see the horse and almost didn’t slow down for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ripoff posted:

I can imagine someone trying to apply this to a state full of poorly-educated, lovely drivers like Georgia and the vast population culling that would come shortly afterward. :magical:

The great thing about roundabouts is, even if more collisions happen, they almost always happen at low speed and therefore don't cause as much damage or injury!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Roundabouts are loving great. For sure one of the more fun traffic regulation structures. Love the smaller ones where I can treat them like a chicane on a race track if I'm going straight.
The other day though during my commute in heavy traffic just as I was about to exit a roundabout the car two cars ahead of me "was being nice" and came to a stop to let a cyclist cross (there is a dedicated bicycle road cutting across the car lanes but the cars have the right of way) causing the rest of us to stomp on the brakes since no car should ever have to stop at this spot. And now the flow is ruined and the roundabout is backed up you gently caress. Stick the to rules and be predictable people!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Rotaries are great right up until some fuckwad stops to let people in, or doesn't yield when entering. There's one near me that is tiny and has a major road entering and leaving in a straight path along one edge of it. People on that route only yield to traffic in the rotary about 1/2 the time, and about 1/4 of the time traffic in the rotary stops for them. It's loving retarded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Another problem with roundabouts, at least in the area I'm in, is that they weren't really in the drivers ed courses until my generation of drivers (I'm a millennial, by definition). Most everyone I mention that too agrees that yeah, that's part of the problem.

Though the people who complain about them should learn how to use them because they're not going away any time soon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Roundabouts will be terrible in the US until drivers here understand how to react to a yield sign.

In my experience most ignore them completely, with predictable results.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everywhere I've seen a roundabout in the US they work pretty well.

Sedona has a ton of them and they just work, Billings put in a zillion of them several years back when they were expanding into farmland and it's the same story. There's also a large one in Anacortes right where the main road comes into town, sure there's sometimes a fuckup but that happens regardless of the intersection type.

Bunch of other one-offs I've encountered and there as never any mass hysteria.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Guess I'm also a passive aggressive dick.

I'm that one guy out of a thousand cyclists that makes a point of actually stopping at stop signs. I stop, locked breaks & completely stopped, behind the plane of the stop sign just like the law says. No stopping in the crosswalk, no rolling through the stop sign.

Almost nobody comes to an actual, complete, locked brake stop at stop signs. Try it out sometime; Go ahead, just give it a try later today.

Totally lock your brakes until your car rocks forward and it makes your front shocks dip down: it's not something you're used to doing at stop signs. Count "one-missisippi" before you let off the brake pedal after your car has rocked forward. That's a complete stop. Do you remember the last time you performed one of those? You were probably 15 and taking your driver's test.

Y'all have no idea how mad it makes people to be behind a guy on a bike obeying the law and actually stopping at stop signs instead of rolling through them. The only thing worse than being behind a guy on a bike is being behind a guy on a bike following the law the letter of the law to a T. Seriously, people would be less angry at me if I blew through stop signs like they do.

My wife and I do this at the entrance to our apartment development area. We've come close to being rear ended a few times, and the lanes are generous enough that people have gone around me once or twice. Now I park my rear end in the middle of the (single, oversized) lane. There are people walking everywhere, stop and look for gently caress's sake.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Geoj posted:

Roundabouts will be terrible in the US until drivers here understand how to react to a yield sign.

In my experience most ignore them completely, with predictable results.

Came here to post this. People treat stops like yields and yields like there's no sign at all. 2 weeks ago I watched a loving mail truck with someone who drives for a living in it road rage at people who wouldn't let him in when he had a yield sign. He was coming off a freeway on to a 45 mph arterial with traffic lights. The closest light had just turned green so everyone was all packed up tight, and he honked and waved and forced his way in, then rode the bumper of the car in front of him as if they had wronged him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You very rarely see a stop sign here, they pretty much use a give way (yield) for everything.

So if they do put up a stop sign, they probably really mean it.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Where I live, we have stop signs AND roundabouts

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can see the use of that because you get all the dipshits that cross the white line while turning left.

Which is one of my biggest pet peeves (ask me why).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Solar Coaster posted:

Where I live, we have stop signs AND roundabouts

To be fair that's just a four way intersection with a flower bed in the middle.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Geoj posted:

To be fair that's just a four way intersection with a flower bed in the middle.

Yeah it's pretty unclear about what path someone turning left is supposed to take. I'll bet a lot of people just cut left in front of the island.

Edit: Also, the rotary i was talking about in my last post has stop signs on two of the four entrances. More loving confusion.

Here's it is from the approach that most people just blow through and expect the rotary to yield to them:

I've had people coming from this direction honk at me when I'm in the rotary. Never mind the giant YIELD their car is sitting on top of.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 3, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

iospace posted:

I can see the use of that because you get all the dipshits that cross the white line while turning left.

Which is one of my biggest pet peeves (ask me why).

but you have to cross the white line to turn left :D

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah it's pretty unclear about what path someone turning left is supposed to take. I'll bet a lot of people just cut left in front of the island.

Edit: Also, the rotary i was talking about in my last post has stop signs on two of the four entrances. More loving confusion.

Here's it is from the approach that most people just blow through and expect the rotary to yield to them:

I've had people coming from this direction honk at me when I'm in the rotary. Never mind the giant YIELD their car is sitting on top of.

Well to be honest someone from a country used to round-abouts would recognize it as one, but from what I read they're rare in the US so it does need signs and markings. Would it be hard to even add some road paint, like dashed lines?

InitialDave posted:

You very rarely see a stop sign here, they pretty much use a give way (yield) for everything.

So if they do put up a stop sign, they probably really mean it.

Don't you have any old grid design neigbourhoods? I've mainly lived in 1940s era suburbs where there's a stop sign every 50m inside those old suburbs due to the grid. But yeah, anything newer than 1970s and each suburb has a ring road so no stop signs inside the suburb, just stop signs where you exit onto the main arterial roads.

I can't imagine the US would have problems with round-abouts because they seem like a better thing than a 4 way stop. There's no 4 way stops in Australia that I've ever come across because we have round-abouts instead.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 3, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

Don't you have any old grid design neigbourhoods? I've mainly lived in 1940s era suburbs where there's a stop sign every 50m inside those old suburbs due to the grid. But yeah, anything newer than 1970s and each suburb has a ring road so no stop signs inside the suburb, just stop signs where you exit onto the main arterial roads.
Any "grid" neighbourhood would be (1) new and (2) probably in Milton Keynes. And even there, we tend to have give way signs.

You know what, there's a UK highways engineer doing an AMA on Pistonheads, I'll ask him why we do things this way compared to the US.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Oh we talking about ignoring yield signs? Sorry for the loudness and a very bad word.

https://youtu.be/OaBuL0eOV6Q

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The vast majority of our towns/cities were created when carthorses were use to move stuff from the home of John Smith the blacksmith to John Cooper the barrelmaker or John Baker the baker and have organically grown since then with little proper planning.

There are less than 30 new towns that were actually designed.

As Dave says, only Milton Keynes was designed to be efficient and car friendly and is famous for having over 1,200 roundabouts. A factoid is that local car servicing there includes swapping nearside and offside tyres to account for the additional wear on one side due to the constant turning.

It's also where the Magic Roundabout lives:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I bet you keep your hands at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock at all times. :smuggo:

They don't teach people 10 and 2 anymore. :smugdog:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spog posted:

As Dave says, only Milton Keynes was designed to be efficient and car friendly and is famous for having over 1,200 roundabouts. A factoid is that local car servicing there includes swapping nearside and offside tyres to account for the additional wear on one side due to the constant turning.

Tire rotation is entirely standard with car servicing everywhere, roundabouts or not. One side's tires wear faster than the other anyway, because turns in one direction are tighter than turns in the other direction.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
My dad refuses to hold the wheel with both hands. Kind of scary in parking lots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They don't teach people 10 and 2 anymore. :smugdog:

Don't think they teach anything at all. The criteria is "have you gone one day without being charged with vehicular manslaughter? Cool you ready to drive."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
9 and 3 is better as you can turn the wheel farther without moving your hands. And possibly keeps your arms more out of the way of an airbag. And your hand is closer to the shifter in a manual.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
9 or 3 are the positions I rest my hands at flying a plane, and I"ll be damned if I'm going to change that for a vehicle travelling in one controllable dimension fewer :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

12 or 7, and never both.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
4 and 8 with shuffle is what's taught now, to better account for airbags. Once you get used to it it's freaking awesome, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Your knee at 6 and your hands with a bowl of cereal.

Honestly though after watching that Mythbusters episode back in...2004? about the airbags ripping people's thumbs off, I've always driven at 9 and 3, with my thumbs up on the wheel. Before that it was my left hand at 10 and my right hand on the crossbar, but that's a recipe for punching yourself in the face when an airbag deploys.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Your knee at 6 and your hands with a bowl of cereal.

Don't doxx me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

epic bird guy posted:

but you have to cross the white line to turn left :D

Like that would stop the average North American driver from doing it anyways.

Re: Hands on wheel, when driving a car I 10 and 2 on freeways or when another vehicle starts moving in a way that I don't like. Outside of that I really can't say if I one hand or two hand more often, two hands for turns and curves.

When driving a forklift my right hand is frequently occupied by other controls or various tools. Steering wheels tend to be very small and have suicide knobs to assist rapidly spinning it. I basically only hold the wheel with two hands when driving down busy aisleways or places I can reasonably expect pedestrians to appear in the middle of my path despite the numerous aids installed on our trucks for pedestrian awareness.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

If your steering wheel isn't a pair of vise grips clamped to the steering column then you're doing it wrong.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

spog posted:

The vast majority of our towns/cities were created when carthorses were use to move stuff from the home of John Smith the blacksmith to John Cooper the barrelmaker or John Baker the baker and have organically grown since then with little proper planning.

There are less than 30 new towns that were actually designed.

It's also where the Magic Roundabout lives:

The Magic Roundabout is in Swindon, not Milton Keynes, a totally different soulless abortion of a town.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dave Inc. posted:

4 and 8 with shuffle is what's taught now, to better account for airbags. Once you get used to it it's freaking awesome, too.

It's way easier on my shoulders than ten and two, but I still find it awkward compared up three and nice. I have no idea why anyone with power steering would stick with 10/2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Magic Roundabout is in Swindon, not Milton Keynes, a totally different soulless abortion of a town.

Brain fart. I'll hand in my englishman card.