Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

daslog posted:

Probably get a little down but not much as you young kids.

lol you look 10 years younger than I

Seriously though sorry to hear about physical issues--those certainly don't help one optimise a swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger has a new set of prototype Taylormade irons in the bag this week, they're pretty ridiculous looking.

http://www.golfwrx.com/512866/tiger-woods-witb-2018-wells-fargo-championship-new-taylormade-irons/

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger has a new set of prototype Taylormade irons in the bag this week, they're pretty ridiculous looking.

http://www.golfwrx.com/512866/tiger-woods-witb-2018-wells-fargo-championship-new-taylormade-irons/

That 3 iron looks like a butter knife.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

These are just Miura's in disguise just like all his other clubs right? Because that's what they look like.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

mattfl posted:

These are just Miura's in disguise just like all his other clubs right? Because that's what they look like.

They pretty much look like every iron he has used for years just TM stamped. TM will put them into production and WRX will go crazy and buy a heap of sets that will end up on the buy/sell forum within a week.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Week two of my golf league and I am down a stroke to my opponent on the last hole. 300 yards par four. First shot out of bounds to the right. I have to drop 150 yards out.

Third shot is to the right of the green through a big tree, but I'm confident I made it through. Turns out my confidence is actually stupidity, I am wrong and I lose another ball. So I have to drop about 40 yards away from the pin.

Third shot.... is in the hole. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm in three leagues again this year, Mon/Wed/Thurs. Last night was my first night and I ended up six shots lower than anyone else. This is gonna be a good skins year.

Everything from ~125 yards and in, I'm playing the best I ever have, even with the wet conditions we're still dealing with. I'm pretty optimistic about where my game will be as soon as I get my driver back where it should be.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sataere posted:

Week two of my golf league and I am down a stroke to my opponent on the last hole. 300 yards par four. First shot out of bounds to the right. I have to drop 150 yards out.

Third shot is to the right of the green through a big tree, but I'm confident I made it through. Turns out my confidence is actually stupidity, I am wrong and I lose another ball. So I have to drop about 40 yards away from the pin.

Third shot.... is in the hole. I have very mixed feelings about this.

How? Your tee shot out of bounds means you have to hit your next shot from the tee, shooting 3. Lost shot, if not in hazard, is a rehit from the last location, loss of stroke and distance. Sooooo, how did we get where you are?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

How? Your tee shot out of bounds means you have to hit your next shot from the tee, shooting 3. Lost shot, if not in hazard, is a rehit from the last location, loss of stroke and distance. Sooooo, how did we get where you are?

I don't think any league I've ever participated in has played by the actual rules of golf.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I don't think any league I've ever participated in has played by the actual rules of golf.

I got that, it's pretty normal, but a one stroke and no loss of distance and a "drop where it should be but with one stroke penalty" are both pretty extreme.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I've been in leagues that agree to play OB as a hazard, and plenty of people agree to just drop a ball if it was lost and everyone agrees on where it "should" be but it's wet or under leaves or whatever. Most leagues here play winter rules year round and are super generous with gimme putts. The last few club championships had plenty of guys with like a 4 league handicap struggle to break 100 playing the ball down and having to putt everything out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wow. I guess the leagues ive seen were much harsher than i knew. Lost balls near a hazard were assumed in a hazard, but just lost were rehit (very liberal use of provisionals), putts conceded liberally, but opponents call, rolling the ball around for good lies allowed in the fairway only. But, if you hit ob, you hit again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This morning from my practice. It's going to be a long process, but I'm starting to get comfortable loading up the weight on my back foot.

I am also working on keeping my chest from going up and down as I can see me head Bob at the top of my backswing. Also trying to get more athletic with my stance.

https://youtu.be/tYeUo05JbBA

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

torgeaux posted:

The rules for the league are to drop where it goes out of bounds. Hell, I actually thought that was the rules, but it makes sense that it wouldn't be. I imagine the reason for the rule being the way it is is because the course is very narrow and not very well maintained. It'd take forever to finish a round if we did it that way

And to be clear, there was a drop penalty. It's not like we just pretended I hit a three.

So what are the actual rules regarding OOB, hazards and just losing a ball? I really only learned golf rules from playing in a league, which probably means I know a lot of things that are wrong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Fifth shot.... is in the hole. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Fixed this for you to help with all the confusion.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It's weird how little I give a poo poo about golf these days. Even the once a month league tournament is a pita and tedious, wipes out an entire day, and I don't look forward to it at all.

I even have a free loving round at Pebble Beach next month and I'm all "waah, I gotta drive 4 hrs."

meh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sataere posted:

The rules for the league are to drop where it goes out of bounds. Hell, I actually thought that was the rules, but it makes sense that it wouldn't be. I imagine the reason for the rule being the way it is is because the course is very narrow and not very well maintained. It'd take forever to finish a round if we did it that way

And to be clear, there was a drop penalty. It's not like we just pretended I hit a three.

So what are the actual rules regarding OOB, hazards and just losing a ball? I really only learned golf rules from playing in a league, which probably means I know a lot of things that are wrong.

Out of bounds: loss of distance, plus a one stroke penalty (so, rehit again from original location, but now hitting 3 if original shot was 1); lost ball is loss of distance and a stroke, same as OB; lost in hazard, essentially, drop at point where ball crossed hazard line, plus one stroke.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Fixed this for you to help with all the confusion.

Oh, this was probably confusing. I should have said third shot was in for a five. Hence the mixed feelings.

torgeaux posted:

Out of bounds: loss of distance, plus a one stroke penalty (so, rehit again from original location, but now hitting 3 if original shot was 1); lost ball is loss of distance and a stroke, same as OB; lost in hazard, essentially, drop at point where ball crossed hazard line, plus one stroke.

Thanks. We just treat everything as a hazard, I guess.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
If they ever split official rules into an amateur set and professional set (they should), OB/Lost Ball is the first thing that should change for amateurs. Nothing slows rounds down more than hitting provisionals, searching for balls, and returning to the tee because you thought you saw where the ball landed but can't find it for whatever reason.

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

runoverbobby posted:

If they ever split official rules into an amateur set and professional set (they should), OB/Lost Ball is the first thing that should change for amateurs. Nothing slows rounds down more than hitting provisionals, searching for balls, and returning to the tee because you thought you saw where the ball landed but can't find it for whatever reason.

I read a proposal somewhere that would make it a 2 stroke penalty to play a lost ball/ob from the approximate spot where it was lost. This would make it the golfers choice to go back to the tee or take a penalty.

Here it is

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-and-randa-officials-reveal-final-draft-of-modernized-rules-of-golf-to-debut-in-2019

daslog fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 2, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

First league day in like 30 years tomorrow, a scramble. Should be fun! Will hit a bucket in the am and see how terrible my game became over the winter, just to inspire confidence going in :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sataere posted:

Oh, this was probably confusing. I should have said third shot was in for a five. Hence the mixed feelings.

Thanks. We just treat everything as a hazard, I guess.

Sounds like it. And the rules are the same for everyone, so it's not like it's an unfair advantage. But like was noted before, people play that way all the time, record handicaps that way, then play in a tournament or with people who actually play closer to the rules and they find they're 10 shots + off where they thought they were.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

This is cool and good and I hope people follow it.

I have always found it odd that a lost ball is punished more severely than hitting unplayable into a water hazard. A ball in the middle of a pond is as good as lost. Nobody is scuba diving to retrieve it or pinpoint its exact location. One's estimation of where the ball "crossed the hazard line" is just as accurate/inaccurate as estimating where the ball entered the brush/thicket/fescue/pile of leaves where it disappeared.

Hitting into the water is also 100% a gently caress-up, whereas a lost ball is often just bad luck.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

runoverbobby posted:

This is cool and good and I hope people follow it.

I have always found it odd that a lost ball is punished more severely than hitting unplayable into a water hazard. A ball in the middle of a pond is as good as lost. Nobody is scuba diving to retrieve it or pinpoint its exact location. One's estimation of where the ball "crossed the hazard line" is just as accurate/inaccurate as estimating where the ball entered the brush/thicket/fescue/pile of leaves where it disappeared.

Hitting into the water is also 100% a gently caress-up, whereas a lost ball is often just bad luck.

Yes, but it punishes the more wayward shot. A ball lost in a hazard is an expected outcome on a whole with water. Hitting it so far right you cannot find it? How else would you penalize it? You have no way to accurately place the ball except back at the location of the last shot.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

torgeaux posted:

Sounds like it. And the rules are the same for everyone, so it's not like it's an unfair advantage. But like was noted before, people play that way all the time, record handicaps that way, then play in a tournament or with people who actually play closer to the rules and they find they're 10 shots + off where they thought they were.

Our course is a very short course, so I don't think anyone bases their handicap off of that. If they do, they're idiots. It's half par threes, half par fours. And most of the par fours don't break 300 yards. Even without the weird rules, it's a terrible barometer for your game.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Yes, but it punishes the more wayward shot. A ball lost in a hazard is an expected outcome on a whole with water. Hitting it so far right you cannot find it? How else would you penalize it? You have no way to accurately place the ball except back at the location of the last shot.

This is spot on, wayward shots should be punished. Regardless of if it's OB, in a water hazard or a bunker you shouldn't of hit it there and you are being punished for the wayward shot.

It's going to be very interesting when the new rules come in for OB shots especially do you take the drop where you can agree with your group it possibly went out or do you take it where the ball was last seen? For example my home courses OB is heavily wooded this means you are more likely to catch some tree and drop in bounds but means that once it's flown the woods you cannot accurately determine the location where it crossed the fence OB. I'm sure there will be rulings pretty quickly but I can foresee some teething issues.

My examples are slightly different to those above as I play comp golf twice a week and you play by the R&A rules as the score you post determines your Australian GA handicap. I can see in leagues where it's a little looser with local rules and less formal handicaps to just adapt to the new rules in the interest of speeding up pace of play which these rules are predominantly designed to do.

One personal rules I have for myself and most at my club tend to go by also is if in doubt the ball went OB hit a provisional. Doesn't cost you a stroke unless you use it and saves a heap of time back tracking. I'm pretty sure that why UK and AU courses I've played play one stroke round a month because if you lose a ball in Stableford just take the hit and move onto the next hole.

I guess what I am saying is Stableford is a good type of game and speeds up a round by at least 30 minutes total. Medal stroke rounds you are lucky to get around in 4h 30m, Stableford 4h or less is really common. Of course this goes out the window if you play with guys who read the green like they are on the 18th at Augusta putting for the win on every hole.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I'm in the same boat as Dimebag, been a member of my club for over a decade and we play by the rules of golf in each weekly competition. Everyone submits their scores and has an official handicap. I'm really hoping the new rules which include reducing the ball search time and the new out of bounds rule speeds up play because it gets a bit silly waiting on people every tee box.

We take it fairly seriously. People make honest mistakes but word spreads really fast if you intentionally cheat or bend the rules. We've had numerous people over the years leave our club out of shame or for the fact that others will not play with them if they're found out. Kinda depressing when you discover someone you respect has been cheating - I can't stand it.

The cheating that's hard to prove is when they blow out their scores on purpose over a long period of time to get a larger handicap. Those people usually always win the big events by a stupid margin. Stuff like a 20 handicap player shooting 80 from the back tees on a stroke round.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 3, 2018

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

The cheating that's hard to prove is when they blow out their scores on purpose over a long period of time to get a larger handicap. Those people usually always win the big events by a stupid margin. Stuff like a 20 handicap player shooting 80 from the back tees on a stroke round.

Yeah sandbaggers or burglars get called out real quick at our club, word gets around really quickly and guys are not backwards in coming forwards telling you about so and so the biggest burglar at the club. It's pretty easy to spot them though if you went back through their golflink page, it's a pretty clear distinction between improvement and sandbagging.

Same goes for unpleasant guys to play with; club chuckers, rule breakers, people who don't follow etiquette etc. Golf reveals a lot about someone's character and the older guys love a bit of gossip and it doesn't take long for dickheads to be weeded out.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Dimebag, been a member of my club for over a decade and we play by the rules of golf in each weekly competition. Everyone submits their scores and has an official handicap. I'm really hoping the new rules which include reducing the ball search time and the new out of bounds rule speeds up play because it gets a bit silly waiting on people every tee box.

We take it fairly seriously. People make honest mistakes but word spreads really fast if you intentionally cheat or bend the rules. We've had numerous people over the years leave our club out of shame or for the fact that others will not play with them if they're found out. Kinda depressing when you discover someone you respect has been cheating - I can't stand it.

This year, our golf league doubled in size, so we decided to reset all the handicaps and start from scratch. First week in, half the league scored in the 50's lol. We have a max handicap of 18.

This week, one of the new guys jokingly accused me and my partner of sandbagging. My partner was just dumped by his partner while his former partner stole my partner from last year to try being more competitive. And I've consistently been one of the worst golfers in the league. LOL.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I can't imaging trying to police social clubs.

It's both hilarious and frustrating that every year at our presentation night the know cheats never turn up. They end up putting all the unclaimed trophies/medals etc on a table near the stage and often run out of space. People jeer wen their names are read out over and over again. Feel bad for the genuine competitors who come second.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Our league is super casual. Everyone is pretty honest, but we used to have one guy that we eventually didn't invite back. Dude literally had holes in his pant legs to drop balls down his leg. He was the saltiest motherfucker ever. I had to partner with him my first year in the league because nobody could stand him.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

torgeaux posted:

Makes sense for OB, but lost ball isn’t always a “more wayward” shot. There are lots of courses where fescue, bushes, and thick grass are right next to the fairway, in the same strategic positions that true hazards would be located. I’ve lost balls that barely missed the fairway in autumn; it can be a real mess if there are leaves and freshly mowed grass clippings in the rough.

You penalize it using the technique in the link that daslog posted: drop it where the ball entered OB or where it entered the pile of crap it’s lost in, no nearer the hole. That isn’t any less accurate than guesstimating where it entered a hazard.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

runoverbobby posted:

Makes sense for OB, but lost ball isn’t always a “more wayward” shot. There are lots of courses where fescue, bushes, and thick grass are right next to the fairway, in the same strategic positions that true hazards would be located. I’ve lost balls that barely missed the fairway in autumn; it can be a real mess if there are leaves and freshly mowed grass clippings in the rough.

You penalize it using the technique in the link that daslog posted: drop it where the ball entered OB or where it entered the pile of crap it’s lost in, no nearer the hole. That isn’t any less accurate than guesstimating where it entered a hazard.

Except that a hazard is known, marked and considered in hole design. A shot you just lose? Sorry, its not the same. A tight course with fescue close? You dont hit amdriver where you cant see where its going to end up. Otherwise, why wouldnt you just swing away? Youre rewarding players ignoring course design.

Even in the new proposed rule, they acknowledge the difference, with making it a 2 stroke penalty versu one for a hazard.

Its ok, as rule changes go. But, the OB/lost ball penalty being draconian correctly pushes decisions toward more conservative play, and makes the risk reward of "cutting the corner" appropriately balanced. But, as before, if fescue is right up to the fairway, its supposed to push you to shots more likely to be in the fairway, not be ignored and swing away with your driver knowing the penalty is slight.

Hit provisionals, dont spend forever looking for wayward balls, pace of play wont suffer.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 3, 2018

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
A non-OB lost ball doesn't occur because of machismo 'swing away with mah driver' mentalities, or from cutting a dogleg. From a pure shot-making perspective, hitting an aggressive shot in the presence of water vs in the presence of bushes or fescue (in-play) is the same risk-reward calculation. I just think it's weird quirk in the rules that liquid obstructions are treated more gently than thick foliage obstructions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Re: the title of the thread:

Tiger tees off around noon PST or so.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

runoverbobby posted:

A non-OB lost ball doesn't occur because of machismo 'swing away with mah driver' mentalities, or from cutting a dogleg. From a pure shot-making perspective, hitting an aggressive shot in the presence of water vs in the presence of bushes or fescue (in-play) is the same risk-reward calculation. I just think it's weird quirk in the rules that liquid obstructions are treated more gently than thick foliage obstructions.

Doesn't ONLY result from that. It isnt the same risk reward, because they are not the same in the rules. Knowing the rules are different in advance should make a player treat the two differently. Your appeal to treat them the same ignores the very real scenario of the always hit driver set and reduces significant parts of the game that require strategic shot choices.

It's academic. At least the rules are only proposed for amateurs, but it assumes the rules are problematic. Pace of play problems arent caused by these rules, and what problem are they solving otherwise?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

torgeaux posted:

Doesn't ONLY result from that. It isnt the same risk reward, because they are not the same in the rules. Knowing the rules are different in advance should make a player treat the two differently.

I understand this - by "pure shot-making perspective" I meant ignoring the scorecard ramifications and focusing on the probability of making the shot vs ending up in trouble. When I care about my score, I do play shots differently depending on how the rules will penalize my missed shots, but frankly, I dislike courses that have ball-swallowing crap on them instead of true hazards, because on those courses missing a few greens or fairways = five minutes searching for a ball every time.

quote:

Pace of play problems arent caused by these rules, and what problem are they solving otherwise?

I do think these rules have a severe effect on pace of play, even for the very skilled golfer, because (a) there is a big incentive to take the full five minutes searching for the ball, because the penalty for not finding it is the harshest in the game, and (b) after the search, players are moving backwards on the course. Provisionals ameliorate this, but it isn't always obvious that a provisional is needed, and there is still time used hitting the provisional and traveling from the lost ball site to the provisional ball site.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Re: the title of the thread:

Tiger tees off around noon PST or so.

12:50 EST, that's very much "or so" for PST.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

runoverbobby posted:

I understand this - by "pure shot-making perspective" I meant ignoring the scorecard ramifications and focusing on the probability of making the shot vs ending up in trouble. When I care about my score, I do play shots differently depending on how the rules will penalize my missed shots, but frankly, I dislike courses that have ball-swallowing crap on them instead of true hazards, because on those courses missing a few greens or fairways = five minutes searching for a ball every time.

I do think these rules have a severe effect on pace of play, even for the very skilled golfer, because (a) there is a big incentive to take the full five minutes searching for the ball, because the penalty for not finding it is the harshest in the game, and (b) after the search, players are moving backwards on the course. Provisionals ameliorate this, but it isn't always obvious that a provisional is needed, and there is still time used hitting the provisional and traveling from the lost ball site to the provisional ball site.

They no doubt impact pace of play. But those rules have been in place unchanged in any meaningful way for decades. Pace of play has been a growing problem without regard to those rules. It's course management that is the largest problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

They no doubt impact pace of play. But those rules have been in place unchanged in any meaningful way for decades. Pace of play has been a growing problem without regard to those rules. It's course management that is the largest problem.

Because dudes twenty years ago never hit risky shots?