Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm just like how do you not have a mic....

You know how much easier the game is when I can TALK to you.

I got the headset that CAME with this console!

Oh you lend it out. Jesus. Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you don't have a mic and play online games in TYOOL 2018 you should have your gaming systems seized.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i don't want anyone knowing that i'm 9

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

i don't want anyone knowing that i'm 9

What was it like getting a forums account years before you were even born hmmmmmmmmm?

MODS

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm just like how do you not have a mic....

You know how much easier the game is when I can TALK to you.

I got the headset that CAME with this console!

Oh you lend it out. Jesus. Ok.

Thanks for your interesting feedback on this issue.

In my experience 90% of french have a open mic and a conversation with their girlfriend, wife and mother at the same time.
10% of germans are 11 years old with fun but hysterical attacks.
20% of british are high on weed and have the time of their life.

I don't know how is open mics in USA, but in europe you often get people from 4 different countries. And if you don't speak 4 different languages, good luck.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Lol at anyone squading up with and wanting to talk to pubbies.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Open mics on the South American server is great, I get exclusive insider info about what my teammates' moms are cooking for dinner and when they have to go to bed.

Also, I had a game where the matchmaker put me in the US server (I had it set to auto) instead of the Brazilian server due to Steam updating at the wrong time and sending my ping through the roof. It took me like 5 minutes to notice because my teammates were stoned to poo poo and were barely intelligible.

Game good.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Pops Mgee posted:

The goon Discord has very little activity and the Reddit/Epic one is awful :shrug:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Neon Belly posted:

The goon Discord has very little activity and the Reddit/Epic one is awful :shrug:

play in solo mode or with your friends
I play solo because I have no friends

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My friends play pubg :(

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Same...

And they won't even consider Fortnite....

I'm like YOU CAN PLAY BOTH!!!

But apparently once you pick one that's it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've found it hard to jump between both since fortnite is 3rd person and has goofy loose mechanics whereas with PUBG I play 1st person and it's supposed to be realistic. If I had time to play games for more than a few hours each week it probably wouldn't be an issue, but alas I do not.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just play duos. Only 1 person to mute if they are annoying and you can still win the matches.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Same...

And they won't even consider Fortnite....

I'm like YOU CAN PLAY BOTH!!!

But apparently once you pick one that's it.

Yup, I had a couple friends I balled on Destiny with who're like "LOL FORTNITE THAT'S PUBG FOR SCRUBS THAT GAME SUCKS" and it's like :psyduck: but it really doesn't and... is actually better than PUBG??

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
A lot of regular folk that don't put too much thought into the media they consume see cartoony graphics and immediately jump to "THIS GAME MUST BE FOR KIDS".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FauxLeather posted:

A lot of regular folk that don't put too much thought into the media they consume see cartoony graphics and immediately jump to "THIS GAME MUST BE FOR KIDS".

the lovely VO work in singleplayer also screams kid's game. Not to mention the fact kids are obsessed with it. The kids where my SO works at are constantly doing dances and emotes from the game to taunt eachother. Like that 'loser' dance that's pretty much just Lindsay's chicken dance from Arrested Development, the kids love that one.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been going to some local major junior hockey games lately and every time they cut to a kid on the jumbotron they're doing something from fortnite, it's definitely huge with kids. Although I think it's big with kids because it's fun and free and PUBG is $30. Overwatch has cartoony graphics and I don't think people ever really considered that a kids game. Plus if I'm gonna get owned I'd rather get owned in a nice lush environment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It’s definitely because it’s free. As an adult with income I can buy any game I want.

Timmy has to wait for his birthday, Christmas, or until Mom will drive them to trade in 7 games to get a new one.

It being free is huge for kids.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Coolness Averted posted:

the lovely VO work in singleplayer also screams kid's game. Not to mention the fact kids are obsessed with it. The kids where my SO works at are constantly doing dances and emotes from the game to taunt eachother. Like that 'loser' dance that's pretty much just Lindsay's chicken dance from Arrested Development, the kids love that one.

Have you ever even seen a chicken?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Beastie posted:

It’s definitely because it’s free. As an adult with income I can buy any game I want.

Timmy has to wait for his birthday, Christmas, or until Mom will drive them to trade in 7 games to get a new one.

It being free is huge for kids.

Ding ding.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
As an adult, my choice still came down to “Fortnite is free”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

All videos games are for kids.

I will say that Fortnite is the 1st MP shooter I have enjoyed since BLOOPs

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

santanotreal posted:

As an adult, my choice still came down to “Fortnite is free”

Lmao this was totally it for me and it's not cause I don't have income or anything.

My buddy was like try this game out and it's def been the most fun I've had gaming in a long time.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its a great game and is pretty much the game my buddies and I play on the regular. Went from Tf2 to Overwatch to this, until the next Big Game.

Pops Mgee posted:

We have decided we are actually better off doing squads no fill because A. we don't have to depend on a random pubbie and b. We don't have to deal with children. Always feels good winning a game with only 2-3 in the squad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PUBG is fine but in no way is it worth the price tag. If it launched either free or for like £10 it'd probably be doing a lot better.

Not quite as well as Fortnite though because it's pretty shoddy in comparison.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

PUBG is fine but in no way is it worth the price tag. If it launched either free or for like £10 it'd probably be doing a lot better.

Despite all it's funding PUBG still feels like a low quality mod of a different game. Like it's fun and all but the art direction and the seemingly difficulty they have with changes make it seem like they just aren't professional.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I’ve put about $15 into fortnite cuz I’ve played it enough and hey deserve it, so I’d give PUBG a fair chance for that price. But it just looks too big, too ugly and too janky for me to enjoy as much as fortnite.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Same. I’ve played enough Battle Royale in Arma 2, Arma 3, and H1Z1 to suffer through another slog in PUBG, despite generally being predisposed to that style of game more than to that of Fortnite.

Not going to even pretend though, I love overall pace increase and the artistic freedom the visual style provides. Other than the part where I spend much more money on skins that I did on the genre previously combined.

Still though, I’m waiting for competent people to do semi-realistic BR. It could probably be a fun mode in the next Battlefield game.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Also consider that Fortnite has BR on console practically all to itself. PUBG isn't on PS4, and it runs at N64 framerates even on an Xbox One X. Fortnite meanwhile runs at a stable 60 FPS, even on base PS4 and base XB1.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Still though, I’m waiting for competent people to do semi-realistic BR. It could probably be a fun mode in the next Battlefield game.

Somebody should just Mod / Update the graphics on the old Operation Flashpoint series. The original games in the series had some giant maps and would work well converted to a BR style.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does Fortnite attempt to do any skill-based matchmaking? If it does, it's loving terrible. Every match I get pitted against nothing but master builder assassins. Where are all the people like me who have never played the game before?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gunder posted:

Does Fortnite attempt to do any skill-based matchmaking? If it does, it's loving terrible. Every match I get pitted against nothing but master builder assassins. Where are all the people like me who have never played the game before?

Nope. You juat gwt toased in with 99 build lords.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gunder posted:

They're there they just die at the beginning of the game

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

bef posted:

Yea.... :(

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The key is to let whoever in the squad be the build guy and you just run HAM trying to kill people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr Hootington posted:

If you don't have a mic and play online games in TYOOL 2018 you should have your gaming systems seized.

i play with a 360 pad because my computer is hooked up to the TV and, given the game has aim assist, it's easier to sit on the couch and shoot mans than hunch forward to my kb/m

there is no voice chat push-to-talk button if you're using a controller, and pressing the keyboard key while using a gamepad to move makes the game start spazzing out and making GBS threads itself (i'm fairly sure using AHK to bind a d-pad direction to it or something would do the same)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bef posted:

Some of us make it to the top 30 because we landed nowhere near the action and spent the first few minutes gathering cool poo poo we hand deliver to the 1st or 2nd person we see when we're murdered, thank you very much.

edit: I actually will sometimes leave stuff behind that's more useful on a trap or two if getting towards end game because I don't wanna hand it over to the person who'll murder me. Like I'm generally not escaping a battle at 25% health and 0 shields, so those spare shields and medkits just refill the dude who beat me.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 4, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i play with a 360 pad because my computer is hooked up to the TV and, given the game has aim assist, it's easier to sit on the couch and shoot mans than hunch forward to my kb/m

there is no voice chat push-to-talk button if you're using a controller, and pressing the keyboard key while using a gamepad to move makes the game start spazzing out and making GBS threads itself (i'm fairly sure using AHK to bind a d-pad direction to it or something would do the same)

How do yoh not have a wireless headset you freak.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mr Hootington posted:

How do yoh not have a wireless headset you freak.

But the headset wouldn't change the game being hot mic with a gamepad, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Coolness Averted posted:

But the headset wouldn't change the game being hot mic with a gamepad, would it?

Adjust the sensitivity??