Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Plasbad posted:

It's actually version specific if I remember correctly. GreatDrak only shows up in Cobi's version.
Son of a bitch are you loving kidding me, yes, I'm playing Tara and I had no idea that was a thing or I would specifically have purchased Cobi off eBay rofl

(...Does Tara have like, exclusive Andreals or something? Are these BossTrolls version exclusive? I had no idea there were version differences, but the BossTrolls are kinda nice and I'm sure I can get GreatDrak via synthesis or a Key eventually.)

edit: yes, actually, Tara does have Andreals, outside Hitano Castle in Sky World - as in through the portal just before the final boss of Sky. KingSlime, too, which Cobi also doesn't have in the main story worlds. This is awkward because I don't know of a Tara-specific list.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Son of a bitch are you loving kidding me, yes, I'm playing Tara and I had no idea that was a thing or I would specifically have purchased Cobi off eBay rofl

(...Does Tara have like, exclusive Andreals or something? Are these BossTrolls version exclusive? I had no idea there were version differences, but the BossTrolls are kinda nice and I'm sure I can get GreatDrak via synthesis or a Key eventually.)

Yeah the two find different monsters and later on there are some weird post game but still story keys that are version unique and you were supposed to find someone else and trade for them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the two find different monsters and later on there are some weird post game but still story keys that are version unique and you were supposed to find someone else and trade for them
I actually did know about those (because I had to emulate a way to get them last time I played :filez:)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Emulator is the only way I ever did that because I never could find another kid who actually wanted to play this enough to buy their own

Play mine and ruin my monsters with reckless breeding, sure, but not get their own copy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shugojin posted:

Play mine and ruin my monsters with reckless breeding, sure, but not get their own copy

Reminds me of the time mom made me let my cousin play Pokemon and I ended up with 20 Nidoran females named A.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I forgot how incredibly satisfying it was to get a new Magic Key with something that cuts out a step or two from the inevitable giant breeding spreadsheet.

(wild GoldSlime :getin:)

edit: wild MetalKing and SpotKing too :yeah:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 26, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I knew a guy in middle school that had DWM1 and we did the metal slime to goldslime breeding chain, it was awesome. Sadly I moved before we could get into DWM2 stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I forgot how incredibly satisfying it was to get a new Magic Key with something that cuts out a step or two from the inevitable giant breeding spreadsheet.

(wild GoldSlime :getin:)

edit: wild MetalKing and SpotKing too :yeah:

That's fun, it's also great to get a boss family key because even though you can't capture anything, the xp is so loving dense in those

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shugojin posted:

That's fun, it's also great to get a boss family key because even though you can't capture anything, the xp is so loving dense in those

I remember finding a boss key that had stuff like dragonlords to fight and getting hundreds of thousands of xp per fight. Ended up with a team of max-stat mons at breakneck speed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Peanut Butler posted:

I don't think I've ever met someone IRL whose favorite NES game is DW4 despite it being so so so good-

DW4 is my favorite NES game, hands down. Used to borrow a friend's copy which let me avoid worrying about sale file deletion.

I felt like a goddamn genius when I realized the Iron Safe was overrated in chapter 3 and that the extra inventory space was better used for carrying an extra Sword of Malice to chapter 5 so you could sell 8 of them for a bunch of gold.

...then the remake added the bag and welp say hello to Taloon and his 99 swords of malice, broad swords, abacus of virtue... :retrogames:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shugojin posted:

I am aiming for LastLord, of course! I'm excited about wild GoldSlimes because they simplify the gently caress out of breeding (and because I don't have a wild source for GoldGolem yet somehow so it's even more speedup)

and by "aiming" for LastLord I mean I gotta keep keys with other common suffixes now that I have a level 93 mon to hit the level 90 key generatoin table to reroll into Lord more often

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was just adding games to my hacked 2DS, one of which is was the Terry's Wonderland 3DS remake. And then I saw Caravan Heart.

...is this a Dragon Quest VII spinoff about Keifer after he leaves the story? That's amazing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, not nearly as cool as that, it’s like the Terry one in that it happens when he’s a little kid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh dang. Well, is the game at least good?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Supposedly it's not at all a Monsters game, and plays more like a regular DQ. I'm not totally sure of that though, lost all interest once I heard it wasn't a Monsters game.

Which, speaking of, I'll be fine never getting a US Joker 3 if we someday get a Switch dqm game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Supposedly it's not at all a Monsters game, and plays more like a regular DQ. I'm not totally sure of that though, lost all interest once I heard it wasn't a Monsters game.

Well, now I'm interested.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

caravan hearts is definitely a monsters game, but it has some weird mechanics, like walking costs food or something?

e: it doesn't have the typical breeding tho

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's a monsters game for sure and it's pretty good, if a bit different than it's predecessors. It uses a food system that drains as you travel (it's annoying but it's fine) and wagon system where other party members jump in to help? I only played maybe 10 hours and have no idea how the late game pans out but definitely enjoyed myself.

If you're a fan, it's a no brainer. Go check it out!

E: oh yeah instead of breeding it's some heart merging business where you combine three monsters to get one, didn't really scratch more than the surface on that

Hmm maybe I'll go back to playing that one some day

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 30, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It sounds like they should have made The Dragon Quest Trail.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It sounds like they should have made The Dragon Quest Trail.

You have died of Dhoulsentery. Play again? >N/N

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So my goal of playing all of the main DQ games sequentially has sputtered out with DQ6. I just kind of lost interest. It didn't grab me narrative-wise like 5 did. I might go ahead and jump to 8 after some of the warnings in this thread about 7. Unless someone has a good reason otherwise.

Also, any opinions of the mobile version of 8 would be appreciated.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

So my goal of playing all of the main DQ games sequentially has sputtered out with DQ6. I just kind of lost interest. It didn't grab me narrative-wise like 5 did. I might go ahead and jump to 8 after some of the warnings in this thread about 7. Unless someone has a good reason otherwise.

If you're burning out on 6, then skipping 7 is a good call. 7 is like 6 but there's a lot more of it.

Mobile version of 8 is by far the worst. I would say it's the only remake of a Dragon Quest game that's worse than the original. It runs at an inexplicably low framerate even on high-end devices, it's locked to portrait orientation that basically ruins the landscapes of the overworld, it's got no voice acting, no orchestral music like the PS2 version and none of the 3DS version's added content.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

I haven’t played 6 but I liked 7 more than 8 tbh

7 is certainly too long, but narrative-wise it’s like a bunch of small stories combined together

The combat system really opens up after you get the job system unlocked (which takes too long). I didn’t feel like grinding was necessary, and the combat was snappier than in 8 I felt like. I got tired of watching all the animations play out in 8. And I don’t think the mobile port even has the 2x fast forward the 3ds does

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

You have died of Disentery. Play again?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DQ7 is a very long game. It has in my opinion the worst opening 10 hours of any Dragon Quest game, after that it gets more interesting by increments. I'm 31 hours into my game and still haven't filled out to four party members, to give you some idea. It's an easier game to navigate than 6's puzzle world map and has a ton of content if you can get past the initial hump.

DQ8 gets you to the good stuff a lot quicker, and I think the transition to 3D is pulled off really well. The game still looks great a decade later. It's a more straightforward game than DQ6 or 7 but also adds some fun new systems. As others have said don't bother with mobile, I think the PS2 and 3DS versions are pretty similar quality wise.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I seem to recall that the 3ds version has some things censored that weren't censored in the PS2 version, if that's something you care about.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Mobile version of 8 ran fine for me on an s7. Was nice to be able to pick it up for a few minutes at a time and put it down again easily, I put like 80 hours on it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm playing through DQ7 too and that game just loves wasting my time. Like there's this tower full of monsters you're supposed to scale. You do it and then sometime later you're in the same area and you need something from a researcher guy. The guy says no prob, but you have to fight a boss on top of that same monster infested tower. So you scale it once again, beat the boss, come back to the guy and he just stands up and leaves! You go back to the tower for the third goddamn time, only to watch a stupid animation after which the guy leaves once again and you have to follow him to the top. Then he says he doesn't have the thing. It's back in the town, you have to take the raft to the sewers to find it.

That's DQ7 in a nutshell.

There's no need to grind only because the game will make you fight time and time again.
And the encounter rate is insane, at least in the remake. Tighter corridors mean you'll fight monsters every five seconds.

The story's quite special, completely different to the other games in the series in terms of tone but everything else is just bloat. It's my least favorite DQ game so far, after playing 3, 4,5 and 6.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I have a huge soft spot for 7 because when it landed it was the first new DQ to hit the US in a decade. A lot of us were starting to wonder if we would ever see that again. I'd played the translations of 5 and 6, of course, but the patch for 6 was never truly completed and I don't think anyone would have taken on 7's massive script, much less finish it.

So for me first time through 7 was pretty magical and the obtuse stuff didn't even bother me. I spent over 120 hours getting drat near everything. It was on replays (some of which didn't get very far before sputtering out) that it kinda got to me.

I still think it was the best of the series concept-wise, and building back the world was amazing, but dear god the tedium is taxing, especially in a game that's already very long even without the bloat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terminally Bored posted:

And the encounter rate is insane, at least in the remake. Tighter corridors mean you'll fight monsters every five seconds.
You get to pick your poison, PS1 version didn't have overworld-visible monsters so technically it's lower if you're crafty enough.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Never played the original but I recall reading that making the encounters visible actually made the fights happen more often because the monsters spawn constantly and in completely random places.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Got a SecrtLord key. Experience per fight still insane even if it's not LastLord. Time to actually breed stuff and then steamroll the tiny postgame :black101:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Here's a new preview video of the english version of DQ11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIU25OINS7w

Idk how much of this is new new but it was the first time I've gotten a look at the skill trees and heard the english VA which sounds good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playstation underground still exists?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Playstation underground still exists?

Type a secret code into the video's comments to unlock a bonus demo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They're just reusing the name. Nintendo does the same thing, they have a Nintendo Power podcast.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So at a website that I won’t name that starts with the letter N, I held a contest. I would buy an extra copy of DQVII and send it to the winner for free. I even sent my own old 3dsXL as a bonus. Why? I loving love DQ and it pains me the series isn’t more popular in the west. Over here at SA, I’ve also gave my DQVII psx to a user. I love DQ.

I am bringing the contest to SA. If you know anyone who has never played a DQ and is interested in XI and they’re not sure if it’s for them or not, or even someone who doesn’t like DQ and is on the fence about giving the series another chance tell them to PM me. I will gladly buy you a copy of XI for free if you win the contest. I am not interested in people who already love DQ entering, just people who have never played or don’t “get” DQ who are potential future fans. DQ needs more fans in the west. If you’re down, PM so I can do my part.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thank you for your service :911:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's so good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Himuro posted:

Over here at SA, I’ve also gave my DQVII psx to a user. I love DQ.

I can corroborate this as I am that user. It was a box and book "like new" copy of the game, and I still cherish it; thank you again Himuro. I was so touched by her generosity that I saw a disc only copy of the game at a nearby resale shop a few weeks after I got my copy and I bought it. I insisted that I give Himuro something in return and bought her a $15 digital game, so in that spirit I traded my disc only copy for a copy of Shovel Knight.