Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Capture One is a very capable raw processor. For image processing I consider it superior to Lightroom but it's digital asset management is not as good. If you have a modern Sony camera the full featured version is nearly free and the light version is free. Don't remember what the difference was between them since $40 for the full version (at the time, don't know if that changed) was effectively free in photography dollars and I never touched the light version.

Keep in mind if you go that route the license you get for either version is for a Capture One that can only read Sony Raw files (ARW).

Sauer fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Capture One Pro is the obvious choice for Sony users since you can get a cheaper one, but even if you're not straight up Sony a lot of people like Capture One. You could use Photo Mechanic for organization end of things and it's actually a lot faster than Lightroom for reviewing.

I've never really given Capture One Pro a fair shot for image processing since I have 10+ years of photos organized in Lightroom and I have to have a creative cloud subscription for other programs.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I ended up getting the Thinktank Streetwalker HD 2. Should work well enough for my needs, and the local shop had it on sale for less than what Amazon wanted for it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here's the issue.. Yes adobe is a subscription and it sucks like really terribly sucks. But here's the issue, it's the standard, there's not much out there that's the same. I played with after shot pro.. I've played with lightzone.. and nothign came close to ease and ability. Now.. that being said maybe it's because I did a lot of photoshop work in my college days and I Found the interface somewhat familiar (which has changed a poo poo-ton since I used it ~18 years ago). I just found it worked and worked easily. NOt saying others don't but Its also super easy to watch hours of tutorials etc on lightroom vs others.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

$100 off a whole bunch of sigma lenses for the next few weeks. Sooooo tempted by the 18-35 art...

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=24815

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 3, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hope and vaseline posted:

$100 a whole bunch of sigma lenses for the next few weeks. Sooooo tempted by the 18-35 art...

You missed the 'off' part.

I've wet my underwear for no good reason.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i'm sorry i'm a bad bad person :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
A friend of mine just rented a 5D mk IV and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Art to shoot graduation photos of his daughter. The picture quality was amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really like my 18-35 Art, it’s just a lovely lens and the limited range doesn’t bother me with the pixel density we have these days. Literally like a bag of primes, has anyone else gotten involved in the f/1.8 fixed aperture zoom business yet?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alright, in the market for a new backpack. Not sure how many of the "wants" I can hit in a single item, but all suggestions are welcome!

* Can hold a Pentax 645Z with "normal" lens, plus a handful of other stuff like an E-M1 + lenses
* Tripod pouch/pocket on the side preferably (for a decent size tripod+head)
* Airport carry on sized (sans tripod)

Would love for a slightly offset design so the tripod isn't just hanging far off one side, but not sure if that's feasible.

edit: Think Tank airport commuter ticks the boxes, but would like something that's more forest friendly too.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 3, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bunch of bags were just discussed in the last couple pages, not saying don't post, just curious if you've looked at any of the ones mentioned.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

would like something that's more forest friendly too.
as in?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

hope and vaseline posted:

$100 off a whole bunch of sigma lenses for the next few weeks. Sooooo tempted by the 18-35 art...

This is awesome, definitely using this to pick up a 24-70 2.8 art

The MC-11(Normally $250) also has a $100 rebate bringing it down to $150. You can't stack the coupons though, not sure how they would know if you bought at separate places/times but they do specify it here

"In addition to its Art prime and zoom lenses, Sigma will be offering its Mount Converter MC-11 for Sony E-mount systems ($249 Retail Price) with a $100 rebate. The existing MC-11 promotion cannot be combined with the Mother’s Day promotion. Customers purchasing the MC-11 with either 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary or Sports lenses will only receive $100 off total (not $200)."

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

powderific posted:

Yeah, Capture One Pro is the obvious choice for Sony users since you can get a cheaper one, but even if you're not straight up Sony a lot of people like Capture One. You could use Photo Mechanic for organization end of things and it's actually a lot faster than Lightroom for reviewing.

I've never really given Capture One Pro a fair shot for image processing since I have 10+ years of photos organized in Lightroom and I have to have a creative cloud subscription for other programs.

Sauer posted:

Capture One is a very capable raw processor. For image processing I consider it superior to Lightroom but it's digital asset management is not as good. If you have a modern Sony camera the full featured version is nearly free and the light version is free. Don't remember what the difference was between them since $40 for the full version (at the time, don't know if that changed) was effectively free in photography dollars and I never touched the light version.

Keep in mind if you go that route the license you get for either version is for a Capture One that can only read Sony Raw files (ARW).

I did some reading while traveling, and I arrived at the same conclusion. They have a fully functional trial version for 30 days, so I have nothing to lose.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Is there a decent budget (sub-$50) option for an E-TTL speedlight? Still rockin' the T3i and don't need anything overly fancy, but something decent and reliable are plusses.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm moving to Capture One from Lightroom.

The RAW engine is to my eyes lovely. It's also faster, which is nice when I'm shooting tethered.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

spider wisdom posted:

Is there a decent budget (sub-$50) option for an E-TTL speedlight? Still rockin' the T3i and don't need anything overly fancy, but something decent and reliable are plusses.

The Yongnuo 510 has TTL and is around that mark. They are a pretty solid brand for lower-end gear. I have a couple of YN680s and they are fine.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Any book recommendations for landscape photography? I understand the 'golden hour' and focus (aperture and depth of field). However, in terms of composition, I only know the rule of thirds. I recently read a blurb about Van Gogh's Starry Night and how it has many elements that are supposed to prevent the eye from leaving the image plane. Unfortunately, I was not able to follow it, and I cannot tell if the content was above my head or if the person explaining it was overanalyzing it and massively full of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Other search terms are leading lines and layers in landscapes. I don't have any books to recommend, but maybe that can find you some reading material online.

Sunrise/sunset are definitely the prime times but you can do good stuff at midday too. Overcast days will help colors pop, harsh contrast at midday means you can consider black and white, and 10 stop filters can do fun stuff at any time of day.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Other search terms are leading lines and layers in landscapes. I don't have any books to recommend, but maybe that can find you some reading material online.

Sunrise/sunset are definitely the prime times but you can do good stuff at midday too. Overcast days will help colors pop, harsh contrast at midday means you can consider black and white, and 10 stop filters can do fun stuff at any time of day.

Thanks.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

Clicking the info button on the page showed that the Leica used a LEICA APO-Summicron M90 ASPH lens, so $5k for the lens and another $7k for the M10 body. :popeye:

Yeah, a Sony a6500 (or A7R III) will suit me just fine.

Late to this party, but you'd also be well served by a fuji X-Pro2, unless you prefer the larger sensor rangefinders.

Yeast posted:

I'm moving to Capture One from Lightroom.

The RAW engine is to my eyes lovely. It's also faster, which is nice when I'm shooting tethered.

I'm a C1 evangelist, but for anyone interested, Hasselblad's Phocus software is similar but not quite as powerful, but is also 100% free. It also works with a lot of cameras that aren't compatible with C1, I think the Pentax 645Z is supported, and the Fuji GFX 50s.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Fstoppers did a video series on landscape photography that’s worth a watch. You can buy the series and files and go along with the thing.

The dude basically travels the world taking photos and he goes through the process of framing, composing, and gives you the file to edit along side him.

There are a lot of things you can talk about with photography and composition, but practice is really key. I’d suggest looking at photos you like and reverse engineering the photo to see how and what they did to get their work the way they did.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

red19fire posted:

Late to this party, but you'd also be well served by a fuji X-Pro2, unless you prefer the larger sensor rangefinders.

I do want full-frame, but not necessarily a rangefinder. I've pretty much decided on a Sony A7RIII and a 35 mm prime. I'll probably pull the trigger in early summer. I used to have a DSRL and then a temperature controlled CCD for astrophotography. While I can no longer commit the time for astro work, I do miss having a decent camera for shooting all the landscapes I see during my trips.

Soulex posted:

Fstoppers did a video series on landscape photography that’s worth a watch. You can buy the series and files and go along with the thing.

The dude basically travels the world taking photos and he goes through the process of framing, composing, and gives you the file to edit along side him.

There are a lot of things you can talk about with photography and composition, but practice is really key. I’d suggest looking at photos you like and reverse engineering the photo to see how and what they did to get their work the way they did.

I'll look into this thanks.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The Fstoppers landscape tutorials are interesting, i have watched most of their behind the scenes vids about the series on youtube. All 3 of them are charismatic and clearly expresses the learning material.
The tutorials are really expensive though, like several thousand dollars to get all 3 series.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Raincover, exterior you can get a bit dirty and wipe down, basically something you can toss around in the woods a bit and not cry over it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's a magazine rather than a book and they don't really do technical how-to articles but I like http://onlandscape.co.uk for the inspiration side of it. Their YouTube also has some recorded talks from a conference they held that are worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/user/onlandscape1

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

FYI, camera gear wears really well and you'll get a lot more for your money buying used. You can buy midrange gear that's in like-new condition for the same price you'll pay for new-in-box basic gear, and the midrange gear has a lot better image quality/build quality/features. Up to you, but most serious photographers buy used, much like a car the first person to drive it off the lot pays a big premium. Stuff that's like one generation behind current goes for like half the price of current-gen stuff.

Again, I don't really know M4/3 all that well but that would be the system I'd aim for given the use-case/price range here. M4/3 gear tends to be cheaper and more compact than most other systems (it's only useful if they carry it), without too much loss of quality. Since it's a single standard that's shared by like five companies there's a really good selection of lenses and bodies.

I seem to remember Olympus bodies being pretty highly regarded, so I'd look at something like the OM-D E-M5. Since that body has in-body image stabilization you don't need to worry about that on the lenses, and Olympus weather-sealing is supposed to be really good which is nice for travel (although you will need weather-sealed lenses to fully complete that). There are also more compact options like the PEN series, which may be nice with a pancake lens as they will be getting into the "pocketable" range, but you are giving up that viewfinder (using only the screen on back).

I'm not a M4/3 guy so maybe DJExile or someone may be able to chime in with better recommendations, but in generalities here's what I'd recommend. Here's what prices look like. Generally, you'll want a basic zoom "kit lens" (14-45 or something similar) particularly for travel. A fixed aperture is nice but is going to be out of your price range here, unless you only buy that lens. The other basic lens you want is a normal or wide-normal fixed (prime) lens, which will be something in the 17 to 25mm range for Olympus. For convenience, a pancake lens is nice - like that Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or 17mm f/2.8 Zuiko. Less compact choices would be the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 or Sigma 19mm f2.8. For food photography you also probably want a macro lens, but a dedicated macro lens is probably going to be out of your budget (again, unless you buy only that lens), so I would try and make sure whatever "kit lens" you buy has a good close-focus capability. However, that's usually going to directly work against compactness.

On the "it's only useful if they carry it" note, you may also want to get them a small satchel to carry the camera and maybe one spare lens.

(KEH EX quality is basically "was once touched by an ungloved hand", the equivalent of eBay LIKE NEW MINT+++ condition)

Your advice was incredibly helpful, sorry for the late reply, I wanted to fully read it and not give a half-arsed response. I never would have thought of buying used in the same way as driving off the lot in a brand new car. I'm definitely going to buy used from a reputable seller now.

What's the main difference between something like the OM-D E-M5 (which is mirrorless, whatever that means) and a regular old Canon DSLR? I Googled the difference to save everyone time. Based on your advice, I'll look into the Olympus OM-D E-M5, but my god is this feeling like I've jumped into the deep-end in terms of knowledge. I want to make as much of an informed decision as possible, so if said friend decides to really get into this, they'll be able to carry some / most of their stuff forward with them, without having a bunch of redundant stuff they need to sell. I think I might visit a brick and mortar camera store and listen to what they say, but take their opinions with a very big pinch of salt. Only issue is, if I wanna remove redundancy and future-proof this stuff, I'm gonna have to pay a higher premium, whereas buying stuff that can't be taken forward seems to be much cheaper.

In terms of lenses, thank you so much for breaking down the types you'd recommend, and also saying whether or not they'll break the bank. I'll pick up a normal / wide-normal fixed lens. In terms of pancake lenses, I have a feeling my friend would much prefer a bulkier camera just because it looks nicer, as silly as that sounds. I'll also nab a macro lens. That should be perfectly adequate for them to take photos of their travels / food, right?

Here's the list of what I think I'll get:

- £229 - Olympus OM-D EM-5, but then there's also the £499 - Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II and I've no idea whether it's worth it getting the more expensive, later version. With the Mark II, it has recently dropped to £300, so I could set up a price alert and sit on it, that's for a brand new one. It also comes with a 14-42 EZ Lens, which I believe is one of those kit lenses you were talking about?
- £148 - Panasonic H-H025E-K 25 mm/F1.7 (this is one of the normal / wide normal fixed lens you recommended)
- £159 - Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 (Macro lens), I've got no idea what the 1:4 0-5.6 means

Total: £850.50, but if I buy the camera at a lower price of £300 New Total: £651.50
How's that list look for a well-rounded camera that lets my friend take lovely pictures of cities when they're travelling, but is also capable of taking stunning photos of food for their food blog? I've then got to think about accessories that would be helpful to have, so a satchel is a must have, maybe an extra battery too, anything else?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 5, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Raincover, exterior you can get a bit dirty and wipe down, basically something you can toss around in the woods a bit and not cry over it.

Well, I just found a deal on a lightly used F-stop Tilopa with three inserts so going to give that a go.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Qubee posted:

Total: £850.50, but if I buy the camera at a lower price of £300 New Total: £651.50
How's that list look for a well-rounded camera that lets my friend take lovely pictures of cities when they're travelling, but is also capable of taking stunning photos of food for their food blog? I've then got to think about accessories that would be helpful to have, so a satchel is a must have, maybe an extra battery too, anything else?

The E5 vs E10 ii is a "newer beginner camera vs older prosumer camera" situation and that's not necessarily straightforward - that's the situation I was talking about. The older midrange camera may actually be nicer than the newer beginner camera in meaningful ways. In particular it looks like the E10ii isn't weathersealed (again, nice for travel) and has a slower shutter rate, but is better in some other ways. comparison

(in particular, things like having a magnesium frame or weather sealing can help save the camera after the first time they make a dumb mistake and drop it on some rocks or take it in a humid climate or something, and you typically don't get those on the entry-level bodies... prosumer cameras are built a lot better than cheapo cameras.)

I am not telling you to buy one or the other here, nor which lens to pick, you've exceeded my camera knowledge here on this system (in particular, picking one of the many kit lenses can be esoteric - many are lovely, some are decent). I PM'd DJExile who will hopefully have some relevant feedback. He's the M4/3 guy around here.

Personally I would give up on the macro lens (that's a telephoto lens that can do macro, not a dedicated macro lens) and if you really want to splurge, plow the money into a constant-aperture lens which can also do macro... which I don't know what that would be for the M4/3 system, please help here DJ. I know on APS-C it would be the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, surely there has to be some M4/3 equivalent that can do macro decently for a couple hundred pounds. Not saying it's a must - personally I think it's a choice between "cheap kit lens + prime" and "nice kit lens", or "nice kit lens + prime" if you want to splurge. If you don't think they'll compare about compactness then by all means plow that money back into the kit lens too, the difference between a $100 lens and a $300 lens is enormous, potentially more than having two $150 lenses.

Yes, spare battery is also nice. Maybe a car charger or international charger kit?

quote:

I've got no idea what the 1:4 0-5.6 means

This is in fact the "variable aperture" part I'm talking about. A constant aperture would say "f/4" or "1:4"... the fact that it's f/4-5.6 means that the farther you zoom out, the darker the lens gets. This is very undesirable in a lens, it means you'll need more light (slower shutter speed) and have less ability to isolate subject from the background (i.e. wider depth-of-field). Not only that but constant-aperture lenses are generally better optically, because they're better designed/engineered lenses (more expensive as well, of course).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 5, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

E5 vs E10 ii is a "newer beginner camera vs older prosumer camera" situation and that's not necessarily straightforward - that's the situation I was talking about. The older midrange camera may actually be nicer than the newer beginner camera in meaningful ways. In particular it looks like the E10ii isn't weathersealed (again, nice for travel) and has a slower shutter rate (but is better in some other ways). comparison

I am not telling you to buy one or the other here, nor which lens to pick, you've exceeded my camera knowledge here on this system (in particular, picking one of the many kit lenses can be esoteric - many are lovely, some are decent). I PM'd DJExile who will hopefully have some relevant feedback. He's the M4/3 guy around here.

Personally I would give up on the macro lens (that's a telephoto lens that can do macro, not a dedicated macro lens) and if you really want to splurge, plow the money into a constant-aperture lens which can also do macro... which I don't know what that would be for the M4/3 system, please help here DJ. I know on APS-C it would be the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, surely there has to be some M4/3 equivalent that can do macro decently for a couple hundred pounds. Not saying it's a must - personally I think it's a choice between "cheap kit lens + prime" and "nice kit lens", or "nice kit lens + prime" if you want to splurge. If you don't think they'll compare about compactness then by all means plow that money back into the kit lens too, the difference between a $100 lens and a $300 lens is enormous.

Yes, spare battery is also nice. Maybe a car charger or international charger kit?

That comparison website is fantastic.Thank you for PMing the resident expert. And I know for sure they wouldn't care about how compact it is, the bulkier the better (in terms of lenses) as it'll make them feel all official and stuff, so I'll definitely keep that in mind and throw the money back into a better lens (so I take it pancake lenses are more expensive due to their compact nature?).

International charger kit is a good shout! You've been a phenomenal help, thank you so much. Fingers crossed when this all works out, you'll forever be known as that very friendly and selfless internet person who made this gift be as special as it is. I just wish I hadn't thought of this as a spur of the moment type deal, I'd have been able to save up more to give myself more breathing room, instead of stressing about staying within a budget and making sacrifices in certain aspects.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I HATH BEEN SUMMONED

If you want to do macro, your main two options with Olympus are the 60mm f/2.8 Macro and the 30mm f/3.5 Macro. Both are very sharp and great at the closer up shots you're looking for. Being that they want them for food shots, I'd recommend the 30mm as it'll be a little wider and allow them to get a fuller picture of the food itself while still being able to focus very closely. It has a minimum focus distance of 14mm so you can get right up on top of your subject pretty easily.

The EM-5ii CAN let you do more complex and manual work, but will still have a very good (and easy to control) Auto/P mode where you can just let the camera do all the work if you prefer. It is also weather sealed, although the 35mm f/3.5 macro lens is not. The newer EM-10 bodies are well regarded though, and while they do cut costs in a couple areas, you're not getting a vastly inferior body by any means.

If you want other pictures of city life and such, I'd recommend something on the wider/brighter end. The 35mm f/3.5 is a good start but will have a little tougher time focusing in lower light since it's a relatively dimmer aperture (the f/_ number). A good compliment to this would be the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8. City streets are relatively tightly packed and both of these are going to give you better flexibility to shoot the scene. Both can be found used very easily in good condition to help defray costs. That 25mm f.1/7 you posted would also work well.

As you mentioned, a spare battery or two is a very good idea, and there are a million different camera bags out there that will hold the collection easily, and you can get those to suit your or your friend's style.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Qubee posted:

That comparison website is fantastic.Thank you for PMing the resident expert. And I know for sure they wouldn't care about how compact it is, the bulkier the better (in terms of lenses) as it'll make them feel all official and stuff, so I'll definitely keep that in mind and throw the money back into a better lens (so I take it pancake lenses are more expensive due to their compact nature?).

International charger kit is a good shout! You've been a phenomenal help, thank you so much. Fingers crossed when this all works out, you'll forever be known as that very friendly and selfless internet person who made this gift be as special as it is. I just wish I hadn't thought of this as a spur of the moment type deal, I'd have been able to save up more to give myself more breathing room, instead of stressing about staying within a budget and making sacrifices in certain aspects.

Please read my previous edits for some background here. I am terrible about that, I never manage to say everything on the first go, I always think of more to say.

Pancake lenses are like cheap kit lenses, they make optical compromises to fit their target market. Except instead of being cheap, it's being physically compact. Take a $200 pancake, it's not as sharp as a $200 lens that's deeper. The bigger lens will also usually have a faster aperture (eg f/1.7 vs f/2.8, the f/1.7 is better and will focus quicker and in lower light).

Not to totally poo poo on pancake lenses. Sometimes there are good pancakes, the Pentax 43/1.9 is really good, there is another good Pentax 70mm pancake, I'm sure there's a handful of others but they are the exception. It's nice when it works but you can expect to pay for it (those are $500 lenses).

You do get what you pay for in cameras. Even better, sometimes you can pay half of what someone else paid for :v: Sometimes there is a cheaper equivalent that's 99% as good, sometimes there isn't.

Ask them, talk to them and see what they want! Getting something you want is way better than a special surprise of a camera you don't want. Maybe they are OK with a rad-looking pro camera with a sweet-rear end electronic viewfinder, maybe they want something they can shove in their pocket, everyone is different (and they probably won't know for sure until a year after you buy this).

Recommendation for a high-grade kit lens (presumably no prime)?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 5, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm about to hop in the shower, I'm really invested in this gift and have been obsessively checking this thread, so don't worry Paul, I saw your ninja edits. DJExile, thanks for taking the time to write that. You nailed the info and have given me a bunch of options that I feel confident in purchasing. I'll properly reply to both of you once I'm back later today.

To give you an idea of the type of photography they like taking:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ah right.

The Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 is a phenomenal lens but it is not cheap and I don't want to break your budget.

The Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 came bundled with bodies for quite a while, and honestly I've heard some good things about it as kit lenses go. It's weather sealed, and lets you switch between a smooth and pretty silent electronic zoom (think point and shoot camera zooming, helpful for video and you won't hear it), and the more standard manual zoom (twist the ring to zoom). That would cover a good range of area, and there are a boatload of them out there on the used market.

E: You're welcome, keep asking here or I'm available via PM if you need anything else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you want to be the super cool godparent again, then next year buy them a lightweight carbon-fiber tripod, a decent ballhead with Arca compatibility, and a L-bracket that fits their specific camera. (note that "v2" cameras often but not always fit the same physical shape as the original... google for compatibility)

You don't need it, but you want it.

Once you've used it, it's like "why was this not built into the camera already"... and sometimes it is (some cameras have portrait-mount plate threads on the side) but it's not nice at all. If you are doing macro work, if you are travelling, or if you just shoot a lot of tripod, that poo poo is a godsend. Woah, I just slide my camera into the head, tighten it, then aim the head! No plate twisting around or anything! If you watch eBay it may be even cheaper.

And carbon-fiber is like 1/3 the weight of aluminum for travel, but just as stiff. Seriously nice.

Ghetto option... use this (and you should also look for one of these for your kid). You definitely do want at least a rudimentary tripod plate - again, start now with the arca-compatibility thing ("boy I have $50 of plates/heads that are incompatible with what everyone else is using" is the worst thing). Besides, if they spend a year struggling with their plates they'll learn to appreciate what they have :v:

There's literally zero chance you can squeeze a tripod setup into your budget this year, but maybe buy them a gorillapod? Cheap and helpful, good $20 upgrade along with batteries/charger/satchel/etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 5, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Regarding 'future-proofing' your camera purchase, you should realise that the primary upgrade is not the camera but the lenses. Many people here (myself included) are using cameras from 2-3 revisions past and still getting perfectly acceptable results. The kind of photography that you've shown is really very forgiving on gear, you can get great results with practically any camera and the bottleneck will be the skill of the user, not the limitations of the equipment. Birds, sports and video are pretty much the only common use-cases where the camera body really makes a big difference and you'd generally want a more recent model to take advantage of new developments.

As Paul Muad'dib said, there's a big difference between entry level and 'prosumer' cameras that's not really obvious if you just look at the raw stats. As well as the weatherproofing and generally better build quality, they tend to be nicer to use with ergonomic features that aren't so common on lower end bodies. Things like tilting LCD screens, multiple control wheels, programmable buttons and so on make a huge quality of life difference when using the camera. You really do get a lot more camera for your money if you look at last-gen higher-end refurbs compared to new entry level bodies even if they look fairly similar on paper.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Further, the sensor on the EM10ii is super marginally better than the E5 at best. Boy, a 0.3 stop gain in color depth and a 0.2 stop in dynamic range, such wow [practically margin-of-error]. And an increase in max shutter speed from 1/4000th to 1/16000th that you will probably never use!

(the EM5ii that DJ Exile recommended is a separate body, the current-gen midrange equivalent of the EM10ii... and much more expensive than a first-gen EM5)

Again, as long as you don't go super old, a recent-ish higher-tier body beats out a new-in-box beginner camera erry day... in lots of ways.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2018

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

theHUNGERian posted:

Any book recommendations for landscape photography? I understand the 'golden hour' and focus (aperture and depth of field). However, in terms of composition, I only know the rule of thirds. I recently read a blurb about Van Gogh's Starry Night and how it has many elements that are supposed to prevent the eye from leaving the image plane. Unfortunately, I was not able to follow it, and I cannot tell if the content was above my head or if the person explaining it was overanalyzing it and massively full of poo poo.

My two favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Digitally-Remastered-10th-Anniversary/dp/0815375662

https://www.amazon.com/Examples-Making-Photographs-Ansel-Adams/dp/082121750X

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I have an e-m10ii and the Panasonic 25mm f1.7, but the olympus 25mm f1.8 refurbished is about the same price now (here in the US anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You've all been amazingly helpful, and it still blows my mind that people are willing to selflessly post really detailed advice for an internet stranger. I can't reply to everything point by point, you've all bombarded me with advice (which I genuinely appreciate). I have read, reread, and read a third time everything you guys posted. I've decide my friend will be more than happy with:

- Olympus OM-D EM-5 - £229 Used, Very Good (is this the M5 ii or?)
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30 mm 1:3.5 - £229 for the macro lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Lens - £159 for the lens that will be used for general shots / building shots / etc.Panasonic H-H025E-K 25 mm/F1.7 ASPH - £148 for the lens that will be used for general shots / building shots / etc.
- A gorillapod, a satchel, an extra battery
- Total: £606 not including accessories, which will be an extra £100 or so

I can't get anything more than that as I'm hitting the budget, though MaudDib, your accessory recommendations have given me something to work towards for their next birthday for sure (I'm gunning for that tripod!)

As far as I can tell, this should be more than adequate to fulfill all their needs, correct? We've got a drat good camera, a macro lens for their artsy food shots, and then an EZ lensPanasonic 25mm 1.7 for general photos. That being said, I looked at the EZ lens on this website and it seems to be used for zoomed in photos, and it has me worrying that it won't be good for those building shots / street shots that my friend likes to take.chose the Panasonic over this one, I feel the photos would be better for city / street shots.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 5, 2018