Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

hampig posted:

Best advice I got in this thread is that Uncharted is way more fun if you blind fire, run and gun, punch people in the face, and don't play it as a cover shooter.

yeah, I play it this way now. Movement is key once stealth goes to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a tech question.

I have a PS4 Pro. I have a newer model 4k TV that can support HDR10. I have a newer AV receiver that supports HDCP 2.2. I have a 4k blu ray player, as well.

Everything is connected into the proper ports. All the devices are updated.

Blu ray > AV > TV = HDR works.
PS4 (using the cable that came with the system) > AV > TV = HDR only works if I turn off HDCP and then force the resolution to 2160 YUV420.

From what I read, 2160 RGB is the best because for normal 4k stuff it gets full bandwidth and the color is better. And it drops down to YUV420 if HDR is available.

I would prefer not to gimp (if only slightly) my system or have to constantly change the settings depending on the game or the content I view. Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the cable from AV > TV is good enough for HDCP 1.4 which allows for the HDR content from my blu ray but not the full 18 gigs of 2.2 which knocks out the PS4. It's funny how there isn't really a consensus on HDMI cables. Many people say they are all the same and they either work or they don't. But I have actually seen problems from one where I would have sound dropouts. Once the cable was replaced it went away. This was after hours of troubleshooting and finally a cable tech coming out and saying it's the cable and this is actually a common issue and people are wrong about HDMI equality.

Or is it just that Sony is trumpy as gently caress and released a faulty product and still don't have it working properly after 2 years? I do see a LOT of people complaining of similar issues.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It's the cables 99% of the time. Just get some Amazon Basics cables, they're cheap, support everything and work.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I only got it from Gamefly but with how easy it is to get Andromeda for $10 or less it's a perfectly fine game at that price. Mediocre? Yeah basically. But it never actively pissed me off like Far Cry 5 did, a lot, and not just the writing.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It took me like 5 goddamn tries to kill the first boss in Dad of War (the big troll dude with the rock). Am I just an imbecile or is that fight actually difficult and boring?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Montalvo posted:

It took me like 5 goddamn tries to kill the first boss in Dad of War (the big troll dude with the rock). Am I just an imbecile or is that fight actually difficult and boring?

You get a lot of rematches to practice on

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ElwoodCuse posted:

I only got it from Gamefly but with how easy it is to get Andromeda for $10 or less it's a perfectly fine game at that price. Mediocre? Yeah basically. But it never actively pissed me off like Far Cry 5 did, a lot, and not just the writing.

If you think you're making an argument in favor of Andromeda you're failing terribly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Montalvo posted:

He's really easy, wail on him for a little bit then just run away when he does his big windup attacks and throw your axe at his face. Press square to BOY.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah maybe I wasn't quite getting the square mechanic down. Boy's arrows seemed to just plink off of the big dude without doing much to him (I guess they draw his attention? but by the time I got to him to attack he'd either finished wailing, or he'd hit me with the backswing of the rock thing).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Von Linus posted:

yeah, I play it this way now. Movement is key once stealth goes to hell.

Of all the flaws in the original Uncharted, the biggest is that the game doesn't inform you that it auto aims when you run forward while shooting until like 15 minutes before the game ends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You don't use the boy so much for damage as for interrupting bad guys out of their attack animations, although later on in the game he can solo most regular mooks. God of War isn't a game you can just swing through either, it's pretty hard for a mainstream AAA title.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

lordfrikk posted:

If you think you're making an argument in favor of Andromeda you're failing terribly.

People here act like it's one of the worst games of this console generation, it isn't

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
In terms of AAA releases it certainly was.

Terrible writing and story, quest design, directing, overly repetitive mechanics. Characters didn't even look at each other in cutscenes.

You can load up Mass Effect 1 and it immediately has more dynamism, animation, better characters etc. in the opening scene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As a $60 follow-up to a beloved AAA franchise by a major publisher after five years of development, it most certainly was one of the worst games of this generation. Like you can technically find worse RPGmaker games on Steam but that would be missing the point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Montalvo posted:

What difficulty mode are you playing in? Square whenever available and run away and throw axe. Repeat. You shouldn't even get hit.

That's just a mini-boss/harder normal type enemy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ElwoodCuse posted:

People here act like it's one of the worst games of this console generation, it isn't

It's arguably the most disappointing game of all time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Andromeda doesn't even have the decency to be really really terrible. It's just boring as gently caress which is the absolute worst thing a piece of entertainment can be.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
I bought Andromeda for $8, but I haven't had time to play it when there are good and interesting video games still available.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Demon Rush is superior to Mass Effect: Andromeda and I'm glad Dragoon Productions got a game onto the PSN.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You're out of your mind if you willingly play Andromeda when there's a literal glut of infinitely better games to play at the moment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When is the 10th Anniversary Demon Rush remaster coming to PS4. Looking forward to replaying this on the Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWmboM0zFc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

When is the 10th Anniversary Demon Rush remaster coming to PS4. Looking forward to replaying this on the Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWmboM0zFc

Got a press copy on the Pro, it's hardlocked to 15fps

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

What difficulty mode are you playing in? Square whenever available and run away and throw axe. Repeat. You shouldn't even get hit.

That's just a mini-boss/harder normal type enemy.

Normal. I think I'm just bad at videogames! Game's still fun though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You're out of your mind if you willingly play Andromeda when there's a literal glut of infinitely better games to play at the moment.

All those better games will still be there when I'm finished with Andromeda and they will most likely be cheaper as well

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Montalvo posted:

That's why easy mode exists!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Montalvo posted:

You're going to get absolutely wrecked by the first boss. You could lower the difficulty to story mode.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

You're going to get absolutely wrecked by the first boss. You could lower the difficulty to story mode.

Nah, if he's anything like me he'll be fine. I died 3 times on normal to that tutorial boss trying to figure out the game and made it through the game and most of the challenges feeling competent.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Friends, i have just bought a ps4 along with god of war and a set of 3 weird playlink games that all came free that im probably never gonna play but anywho, i put the god of war disc in and it started to install the game auto, fair enough i guess, which said it was only 9gigs but when i checked the storage settings it says god of war is now 38gigs.

It also started downloading a patch, fair enough i guess, but i checked the download and first it said 300mb or something and it would be done in minutes but i check again and now its a 4gig patch v1.17 and i guess i gotta wait an hour but didnt the game come out last week?

I think my question is, is this poo poo normal? Because lol suddenly regretting cheaping out for the 500gb model.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pretty sure the boss is supposed to teach you that you should be using ranged a lot. Back off and axe him.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

Friends, i have just bought a ps4 along with god of war and a set of 3 weird playlink games that all came free that im probably never gonna play but anywho, i put the god of war disc in and it started to install the game auto, fair enough i guess, which said it was only 9gigs but when i checked the storage settings it says god of war is now 38gigs.

It also started downloading a patch, fair enough i guess, but i checked the download and first it said 300mb or something and it would be done in minutes but i check again and now its a 4gig patch v1.17 and i guess i gotta wait an hour but didnt the game come out last week?

I think my question is, is this poo poo normal? Because lol suddenly regretting cheaping out for the 500gb model.

Yes. However God of War in particular has had a shitload of patches in its first week compared to most games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

All those better games will still be there when I'm finished with Andromeda and they will most likely be cheaper as well

I barely have time to play games as it is nowadays much less mediocre ones

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'll see how I do and lower the difficulty to easy if it gets in the way of having fun. I did HZD and Witcher 3 on the easiest difficulties and had a blast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yes. However God of War in particular has had a shitload of patches in its first week compared to most games

It had two patches in one day. Absolutely crazy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Waltzing Along posted:

It's arguably the most disappointing game of all time.
No, that's probably a tie between Dragon Age 2 and DNF.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

More franchises need to take the Half-Life 3 route. Can't disappoint if it never gets made!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*taps head* Can't be disappointing if you never had any expectations in the first place

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

More franchises need to take the Half-Life 3 route. Can't disappoint if it never gets made!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SettingSun posted:

Nah, if he's anything like me he'll be fine. I died 3 times on normal to that tutorial boss trying to figure out the game and made it through the game and most of the challenges feeling competent.

GoW is doing a great job with me keeping it challenging but not frustrating. I've had to replay several encounters and just when I start getting frustrated enough to walk away for a bit, I manage to develop a strategy that gets me through by the skin of my teeth.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

No, that's probably a tie between Dragon Age 2 and DNF.

I dunno, I feel like Mighty Number Nine, Assassin's Creed 3, Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star are some stiff competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean apparently their playtesters just played on monitors sitting at desks because the text size problem should have been super obvious but nope.