Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The washes are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Thread Crosspostin' Time!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:frogsiren: Oath Complete! :frogsiren:

For the freehand challenge, I did these two lovely clay pots. (I also attempted to put a fantasy-SHIELD logo onto Hobbit Nick Fury's shield, but A} it kinda sucked and B} I couldn't get a good angle on it, so gently caress it.)

And for All Together Now!, I present the following models that I've painted over the past year:
Front Row: Fat Yuan Yuan, Griffin, Halfling w/ Banner, Orc Drummer, 2 Frost Giants, 3 Halflings (Scribe, Sorcerer, Bugler)
Row 2: Ghost, Fire Mage, Flaming Sphere, Lich Lord, Priestess, Dracula, 3 Vampire Brides, 2 Ghasts, Fire Giant
Row 3: Owlbear Rampant, 3 Spanish Inquisitors, 5 Dead Dudes, 11 Martian athletes
Back Row: Drunken Dwarf Bard, 6 Halflings (1 Knight, 3 Bowmen, 1 Crossbowman, 1 Grizzled Veteran), 7 Cursed Treasures
(Full album is here. Apologies for some blurry pics, I'm super tired.)

Thanks to all the judges for hosting, and to all the artists for another great season!

...The curse on the treasures is that they're mostly copper pieces :ohdear:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've got a question about the AP washes.

I bought the box because I'm bad with money. I've tested them out, and they seem really weak. Should I be using these in several coats?

The homebrewed stuff I make with ink and flow improver is basically a one-and-done for me, so the AP washes are sorta throwing me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They're definitely not as strong as inks so depending on how much you dilute your inks they'll probably be weaker. I generally only use one coat but I've only tried dark/strong/soft tones so maybe the colored ones are weaker?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The AP color washes have actually discolored models before. Like instead of pooling they pull away from those areas and take the paint with them.

The strong/soft/dark tones have never betrayed me though but I don't use them for terrain since, as mentioned above, they are kinda weak.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anyone know why my dry pigment is cracking after I put the matte varnish on? I don't know if it has to do with me only having the Tamiya TS-80 can and spraying outside because I don't have anywhere else suitable to spray lacquer varnishes without dying.

e: Finished Killa Kan #2. Had to re-do the rust because of the aforementioned cracking but still happier with this one than the first. Turns out skulls look alright when you don't accidentally cover up all the detail trying to get an even coat of a light colour!

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 1, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

EDIT: see below

Tiny General Veers, you are too close to me.

Tried to get more detail attention here (like the goggles) and do a bit of washing for texture. Not perfect, but an improvement over the stormtroopers. Dunno how to fix his face though with my Michael J Fox hands.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 1, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Tiny General Veers, you are too close to me.

Tried to get more detail attention here (like the goggles) and do a bit of washing for texture. Not perfect, but an improvement over the stormtroopers. Dunno how to fix his face though with my Michael J Fox hands.

One thing I like to do while painting is make sure the balls of my thumbs are resting on each other. When you do that (assuming you're holding the miniature in your off-hand), and your hands shake, the brush and mini shake in tandem with each other. It really helps cut down on the shakiness.

For the face details: GW makes Reikland Fleshshade in a Gloss formula. The regular, non-gloss stuff tends to cling to flat areas, but the gloss formula runs straight for the crevices. It can be a nice shortcut to putting some deeper detail on the face with little effort, and you can kill the shine later with a matte varnish.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

One thing I like to do while painting is make sure the balls of my thumbs are resting on each other. When you do that (assuming you're holding the miniature in your off-hand), and your hands shake, the brush and mini shake in tandem with each other. It really helps cut down on the shakiness.

For the face details: GW makes Reikland Fleshshade in a Gloss formula. The regular, non-gloss stuff tends to cling to flat areas, but the gloss formula runs straight for the crevices. It can be a nice shortcut to putting some deeper detail on the face with little effort, and you can kill the shine later with a matte varnish.

I'm not quite following you on the thumb thing, not sure i'm visualizing it right.

I also took a shot at the face, and while it's not great, it's not the Event Horizon horror show pictured above:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hey there painting folks - Season 8 of the Oath Thread just finished, and Season 9 just started!

It's a good way to keep motivated and get all sorts of random figures painted up, or make steady progress on an army.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Trying out different orders of the layers I'm applying and I want to work in some gloss varnish.

Most of the paint I'm applying is through an airbrush, and the first three layers are acrylic black primer>silver>clear tamiya blue/green mix. I want to try applying gloss before and after the clear to see how it affects the shine.

What are the goto airbrush matte and gloss varnishes?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
For gloss I always say go for a bottle of future. They just re branded it for the 50th time recently but the recipe should be the same. Just neat through the airbrush till it looks wet but not dripping is how I do it and it comes out perfect every time.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Ugh my perfectionism is killing me, especially considering how new and unskilled I am at this hobby. Do you ever get to a point where you just say gently caress it and call it done to stop yourself from repainting the same thing 15 times? I just gotta keep reminding myself that most people aren't going to notice the little details and I can always strip the model and repaint it later on if I really want to.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Ugh my perfectionism is killing me, especially considering how new and unskilled I am at this hobby. Do you ever get to a point where you just say gently caress it and call it done to stop yourself from repainting the same thing 15 times? I just gotta keep reminding myself that most people aren't going to notice the little details and I can always strip the model and repaint it later on if I really want to.

It's the only way to progress man. If you continually strip and redo the same miniature you'll never get anywhere.

Get a small squad of say five guys done. Stand back and look at them. Ok, maybe you're not happy. Press on.

By the time you've done your third or fourth you'll be happier and then maybe go back and touch up or strip some older stuff if you _really_ need to - but you're right in that other people on the tabletop won't notice and taking closeups for the internet magnifies all issues.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

I do, but I'm also a lot less good at painting than a lot of the people in here and am primarily interested in painting for the sake of having an aesthetically pleasing gaming experience. I have been improving a lot recently, at least!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Mikey Purp posted:

Yep! Many many times, I have said, gently caress it, good enough. It's like writing music or anything art related; your first X amount aren't going to be great, but the way to get better is to keep moving, make something good enough, then do the next thing, applying the lessons you learned to that.

That is of course, assuming your end goal is to get better. If you want to have a small, finite amount of models and be done forever, then perhaps repainting over and over is the way to go. But I get the sense that's not the case ;)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I've just gone back through the thread and looked at your first miniatures and onwards and you're knocking it out of the park. Look up some other peoples firsts.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TTerrible posted:

taking closeups for the internet magnifies all issues.

Especially this. I fell into that trap starting out, thought something looked pretty good and then took a pic to post here or to a chat and suddenly noticed everything I hated about it. Mans look better in person and mans look extra awesome in groups of mans.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mikey Purp posted:

I have a box of reaper bones with primer on, and a box unprimed. As such my policy is never to rework anything - there are always more minis to paint!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Playing a horde army I'm basically given no choice. I have to move on and start working on the next batch and try to learn lessons along the way or I'll never get anything close to a complete army.

(I'm never going to get close to a complete army anyway, but don't tell my wife I said that.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

bird food bathtub posted:

Playing a horde army I'm basically given no choice. I have to move on and start working on the next batch and try to learn lessons along the way or I'll never get anything close to a complete army.

(I'm never going to get close to a complete army anyway, but don't tell my wife I said that.)

Get on the Dip Train, broseph! Batch painting and Dip!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
For my tyranid army it’s dipping all the way. The important guys get some drybrushed highlights and extra details but rank and file are prime->basecoat->wash->red up the goopy bits->done. Even their bases are just basecoats and washes. It’s the only sane way to paint these drat endless things.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm a glutton for punishment. I started painting this Hive Fleet Leviathan army years ago and I'll finish painting it by hand or die trying.

Or take a break for another three game versions, whatevs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bird food bathtub posted:

Or take a break for another three game versions, whatevs.

It's this, isn't it?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Badablack posted:

It’s the only sane way to paint these drat endless things.

I painted 100 models in April, and I want to get 100 more in May. I am batch painting 97 guys at the moment, and I put Agrellan Earth on 98 guys in the last two days.

Gotta keep making that progress!

Edit:

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 3, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

I painted 100 models in April, and I want to get 100 more in May. I am batch painting 97 guys at the moment, and I put Agrellan Earth on 98 guys in the last two days.

Gotta keep making that progress!

Name/post combo.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just picked up some Stormcast Eternals and my stupid brain is instant on trying to really push the whole storm angle. Anyway, there are two issues that I'm trying to figure out.

The first is color. I want to try and recreate the stormcloud color seen here. That really dark purplish blueish black. Does anyone have any idea of what would be a good base color to try and capture this particular shade?

Also, does anyone have any tips for somehow recreating the wierd very bold, but also dimmed coloring that everything gets when a storm is blowing in? (I already plan on putting some blowing green leaves on the basing to indicate strong wind)

The second issue I am having is far more complex. Basing wise, I intend to go for a kind of cobblestone road base. As I am going for a storm theme, I want to model the units right at that threshold where the storm finally breaks and the rain arrives. As such, I want to have the model and ground showing those first, fat rain drops that you always see start to cover the ground right before everything gets soaking wet. Does anyone have any idea on how I would recreate these raindrops on the ground and model without it looking strange?

I cant find a picture, but to further clarify, I want everything to appear dry, but the first drops of the storm are just hitting, making spots of wetness where the individual drops have hit.

Thanks guys. I know my request is a bit wonky.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
For base color, if you're going for something really dark, I might suggest a broad blending between a lavender and a dark blue.  This will work especially well if you do a wet blend between the two main colors.  Think something like Xereus Purple and Incubi Darkness, washed with Nuln Oil to the desired depth.
Or just go with a medium violet-grey like Warpfiend Grey and add purple and blue to the desired color.  (I'm getting these from the Citadel app, so results may vary.)

As far as the base is concerned, I'd suggest a couple of things to match the picture:
1}  Go with the more desaturated color scheme for the armor, and contrast it with a more vibrant-pigment-rich color scheme on the base.
2}  The "raindrops" effect can be achieved by darkening some spots on the base, and that'll be most obvious on the gravel itself.  It's going to be very difficult to make this effect obvious at anything other than very close range, but it can be done by painting the gravel to your desired shade, then picking out some spots to make a couple of shades darker.

The main issue with this effect is having a base that draws the eye with vibrant, rich colors, while your model is drab and dull.  That's usually the opposite effect to what most painters want; the model is meant to be the focus.  You might want to limit the stormy color to the flat plates on the armor, and do the trim in bright metallics to compensate.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Nearly finished with my first model in like a billion years:

I think I like how my Big Pastel Boy turned out, except maybe the highlights aren't bright enough? I also need to Git Gud but that's a whole other problem :v:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Gitting gud will come with time. I like your Easter marine!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

jadebullet posted:

The second issue I am having is far more complex. Basing wise, I intend to go for a kind of cobblestone road base. As I am going for a storm theme, I want to model the units right at that threshold where the storm finally breaks and the rain arrives. As such, I want to have the model and ground showing those first, fat rain drops that you always see start to cover the ground right before everything gets soaking wet. Does anyone have any idea on how I would recreate these raindrops on the ground and model without it looking strange?
I wouldn't do it on the model itself, just on the base. I think it would look really strange on the model.

But for the base, mix a little bit of black wash (GW Nuln Oil or AP Dark Tone or equivalent) with some Liquitex gloss medium. You'll want the consistency to be thick enough that it stays where you put it, but translucent enough that the wash color just tints what's underneath it. Once you have it the desired color, consistency, just paint your little rain-drop circles on. Once dry, it the wash will darken the surface and the gloss medium will make it look shiny, both of which together will convey "wet cobbles."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I bought some kromlech resin and while I like the sculpt as a hole there's a real off texture to everything then makes it very difficult to get a smooth coat on paint.

I'll post some photos when they're finished but all in all I am a little bit disappointed in them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What kind of prep work did you do? (i.e. washing/sanding)

What kind of primer did you use?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

This is the first model that I tried using layering and mixing colors rather than relying upon washes. I also tried eyes for the first time.

How do

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't sand at all because I'm reluctant to lose detail. I trim mold lines and try to minimize flash but sanding a 30$ hunk of plastic/resin was never something I felt good about.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't sand at all because I'm reluctant to lose detail. I trim mold lines and try to minimize flash but sanding a 30$ hunk of plastic/resin was never something I felt good about.

How about washing? And what kind of primer?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got to take some photos after dealing with a move for a month. Here's my first 5 Goliaths, from left to right:
Reuben, T Bone, Slamburger, Half Pound, Ribeye

My second batch, from left to right: “Pulled” Porkins, Chuck, Angus “The Black”, Slider, and Brisket County Jr.

Family photo:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nice beefy boys. Brisket County Jr is a great pun.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

Finally got to take some photos after dealing with a move for a month. Here's my first 5 Goliaths, from left to right:
Reuben, T Bone, Slamburger, Half Pound, Ribeye

My second batch, from left to right: “Pulled” Porkins, Chuck, Angus “The Black”, Slider, and Brisket County Jr.

Family photo:

Except a Reuben has corned beef and these are supposed to be unprocessed meats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
crosspostin'

Two Beans posted:

Finally completed these fellas for my 40k CSM Tzeentch force.