Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know any about English politics, what's going on here? Why do they do that?

Run up and try to knock them over, bet you cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know any about English politics, what's going on here? Why do they do that?

You can stomp on more throats if you have a wider base

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guy Goodbody posted:

:iiam:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is actually a fantastic answer.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/991431845450539008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/991569675556474880

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

all is well in the house of lords

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/991714069978722305

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

they are failing to negotiate a deal while at the same time they're not making any of the preparations they need to make to keep the country functioning in a no deal situation

what the gently caress is going to happen?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gum posted:

they are failing to negotiate a deal while at the same time they're not making any of the preparations they need to make to keep the country functioning in a no deal situation

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gum posted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/LLW90210/status/991668184527732736

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Spectator posted:

The power of Momentum: the right have underestimated the power behind Corbyn
The Spectator

Momentum members supporting Jeremy Corbyn (image: Getty)
The Spectator

5 May 2018

9:00 AM

The local elections have thrown up a paradox. In theory, Britain has never had more devolution: we have assemblies in Edinburgh and Cardiff, city mayors in England, elected police chiefs and the supposed Northern Powerhouse. So, the run-up to the vote ought to have been dominated by local issues, with a new breed of local political heroes or villains in the media spotlight. Instead, apart from a few door-knocks and the odd leaflet, one could be forgiven for not even realising local elections were being held.

This may be in part because of the sad decline of the local press and the dearth of reporters to cover the elections. But it is also because of the equally sad decline in the number of political volunteers willing to campaign, especially for the Tories. Local elections, even more so than general elections, rely on small armies of volunteers to knock on doors, canvass opinions and encourage voters that local issues really do matter. The Conservative party, according to the House of Commons Library,is down to 124,000 members. When Lynton Crosby was running Tory campaigns, he pointed out that most Tory members could not be relied upon to hit the streets because they were having their afternoon nap.

On the Labour side, it is an altogether different story. Membership has rapidly expanded in recent years — inspired by Jeremy Corbyn — and now sits at 552,000. Moreover, the party has the advantage of an internal movement: Momentum. Originally set up with the express purpose of motivating grassroots supporters during Corbyn’s first leadership election campaign, Momentum has become a driving force behind the entire Labour movement. It has 40,000 members of its own and has been called many things — including a ‘neo-fascist’ organisation by the new Home Secretary, Sajid Javid. It stands accused of bullying moderate candidates in order to force them to step aside in favour of left-wing candidates, and of heckling Labour MP Ruth Smeeth when she arrived at the party’s inquiry into anti-Semitism within the party.

Yet the right makes a great mistake in believing that Momentum can be defined by the worst behaviour of unruly members. The left has found new and effective ways of engaging people in politics. Above all, it has succeeded in mobilising a generation of young voters which the main parties had previously (and almost contemptuously) dismissed as apathetic.

So it is wrong to dismiss Momentum’s masses as a bunch of tired, unreconstructed Trots. It would be convenient for the Conservatives if they were, but that is not how they come across to a large proportion of ordinary voters. Some of the ideas they espouse — such as renationalising the railways — are shared by a majority of Conservative supporters. On the issue of housing they offer hope where the government has been able to offer none. And what’s more, they are there, on the ground, speaking to voters. Momentum maintains a website, My Nearest Marginal, which rapidly directs volunteers, and organises lift-shares, to where they are most needed. Its videos, spread via social media, brim with energy and optimism.

The Scottish National Party has demonstrated the devastating power of putting ordinary people on the streets to talk to ordinary voters — in direct contrast with the increasingly artificial staged rallies still favoured by the Conservatives at the last election. In France, Emmanuel Macron had similar success with En Marche, the movement he founded 14 months before his election campaign, which propelled him to victory in the presidential elections last May.

Over the past generation, politics has become too centralised, too ‘professional’. The debacle of last year’s Conservative general election campaign saw Conservatism reduced to a paean to its leader: the ‘strong-and-stable’ slogan backfired as the course of the campaign undermined the message. It might be possible to win using exhaustively tested but nauseatingly bland slogans, but it is never going to make for a healthy political party. The Conservatives have much to learn from Labour and the SNP. Momentum’s message is so much more powerful because it arrives via people who seem trustworthy and normal, rather than corporate and bland.

It is an irony that, under David Cameron, who adopted ‘localism’ as one of his big ideas, local Conservative branches became hollow. Membership halved, though it was a wonder it did not fall even further, given the contempt which was heaped on the ‘swivel-eyed loons’ of local parties by the party elite. With a few honourable exceptions, such as Andy Street, elected Mayor of the West Midlands last year, Conservatives have come to treat local politics as a breeding ground for Westminster careers, not as a worthwhile occupation in itself.

The consequence is that the Conservatives no longer have the members to challenge Momentum’s eager volunteers. What the party badly needs is a Momentum of its own: putting together people who can speak up for centre-right ideas in every neighbourhood and on every street. Local government and local services ought to be the place to start. If the Conservatives can show no enthusiasm for running a town, it is hard to see why anyone should want to trust them to run the country.

Oh look, a Tory who isn't claiming that Momentum are a bunch of neofascist Marxists. Actually really liked this article, good to see some sober acknowledgements of the success of Momentum.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh look, a Tory who isn't claiming that Momentum are a bunch of neofascist Marxists. Actually really liked this article, good to see some sober acknowledgements of the success of Momentum.

I do like how he thinks there are people who give a poo poo about centre right policies. To go out and canvass you actually have to care and the people who actually care are either left or right not the centre.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Byolante posted:

I do like how he thinks there are people who give a poo poo about centre right policies. To go out and canvass you actually have to care and the people who actually care are either left or right not the centre.

Jeb!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gum posted:

spoiler: they don't actually care because it won't affect the rich

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

The hope would appear to be that May weeps so hard she puts The Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Dr. Liam Fox in charge, which I would assume she is doing her best to never do because he is an extremely bad person.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jBrereton posted:

The hope would appear to be that May weeps so hard she puts The Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Dr. Liam Fox in charge, which I would assume she is doing her best to never do because he is an extremely bad person.

thank you for using his correct title here

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

thank you for using his correct title here
I am absolutely fastidious on this issue and my hope is that one day, the press will be too.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

jBrereton posted:

I am absolutely fastidious on this issue and my hope is that one day, the press will be too.

Sounds like you haven’t been clear enough on the issue.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/992091598853890048

:stare:

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

holy loving poo poo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wow, it’s like the 19th century literally returned.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Where's that guillotine emote when you need it

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

BurningCourage posted:

Sold off to Capita

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BurningCourage posted:

A gulag emote would work better.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Actually we have an emote for people being disappeared:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this is conservative comedy, genuine happiness at people suffering

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

who is the cabinet minister? why be coy?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

:decorum:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

more like :libel:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Gum posted:

more like :libel:

Needs to be a picture of Ben Bradley saying "please retweet" imo.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Firos posted:

Needs to be a picture of Ben Bradley saying "please retweet" imo.

:pedo: but with Lord McAlpine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

nopantsjack posted:

it's a council cabinet member, not a minister

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so ... how'd those elections go?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
:mediocre:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

so ... how'd those elections go?

apparently UKIP's only got two members left

94 got slaughtered

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Labour did ok but not brilliantly. My area didn't have an election so I couldn't vote, soz :(

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it seems like labour made minor gains but lost the expectations game?

good news is ukip were obliterated, bad news is that's probably because the tories are overtly racist now

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Peel posted:

it seems like labour made minor gains but lost the expectations game?

good news is ukip were obliterated, bad news is that's probably because the tories are overtly racist now

Factual reporting would be talking about the end of UKIP but instead we're going to hear about this is another public vote of no confidence in Corbyn and the more aggressive left-wing campaigners like Owen Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

namesake posted:

Factual reporting would be talking about the end of UKIP but instead we're going to hear about this is another public vote of no confidence in Corbyn and the more aggressive left-wing campaigners like Owen Jones.

What's the difference between UKIP and the government?