Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comic book movies already gave us blue dong on the big screen.

Thanks, Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Age of Ultron was the culmination of every single complaint about Joss Whedon only being able to write in one voice, where Tony Stark, Tony Stark, Tony Stark, and the rest of the Tony Starks teamed up against an evil army of artificial Tony Starks.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Don't forget black widow feeling like a monster because she got her tubes tied or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dietrich posted:

Don't forget black widow feeling like a monster because she got her tubes tied or whatever.
Wait, i thought the subtext of that was some down and dirty Hulkfucking because he couldnt impregnate her.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Wait, i thought the subtext of that was some down and dirty Hulkfucking because he couldnt impregnate her.

No she understands hulk's angst because she too is a monster.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dietrich posted:

No she understands hulk's angst because she too is a monster.
Angst for... loving?

I think we understand why she can calm the savage beast is what I'm saying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was also the programming and the assassining not just the sterilization (for the purpose of sex assassining)

If whedon wasn't involved or a woman wrote it no one would even remember those lines.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It was also the programming and the assassining not just the sterilization (for the purpose of sex assassining)

If whedon wasn't involved or a woman wrote it no one would even remember those lines.

The dialogue is really poorly written. It stands out, no matter who wrote it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

The dialogue is really poorly written. It stands out, no matter who wrote it.

Maybe but people obsess about it specifically because they have a bone to pick with whedon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was in the theater with my wife and when widow said that line my wife blurted out "What the gently caress?"

She certainly doesn't follow these films closely or know the director.

I think since then I've only gotten her to see Guardians, before Avengers 2 she went to every one.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Mr. Strange knows some spells but I wish he'd do more techniques and stuff instead of going Hup, Hip, HA and fist fighting. Minor quibble from me in this otherwise great film, that's the most popular film in the history of the medium.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not defending the dumb line but I just think most people probably forgot about it.

I any case, I'm going to view it again now since it may well be worse than I remember.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So before he got all the stones and he just went around executing half a planet, do you reckon those were halved again into a quarter once he snapped his sausages?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

henpod posted:

So before he got all the stones and he just went around executing half a planet, do you reckon those were halved again into a quarter once he snapped his sausages?

I did consider this question

I did not use the word sausages when I did so

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Hard to say. I'm going to say no since he was all powerful and all knowing at that point and could execute his will perfectly. But maybe he did. Probably isn't important within the context of the story.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Lindland posted:

Hard to say. I'm going to say no since he was all powerful and all knowing at that point and could execute his will perfectly. But maybe he did. Probably isn't important within the context of the story.

There is no evidence that he was either of those things

But I also imagine he held his desired outcome clearly in his mind since that is what he'd been obsessively focusing on for at least Gamora's lifetime

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The stones (particularly Soul) probably do the thinking when it comes to executing a command like that. Did he mention to the stones "hey I already did some of the planets so skip those"? Maybe, but the films will probably not bother with questions like this at all.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did Thanos Kill You?

I was spared. :smugndar:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So did %50 of the universe get killed, or did every living being in the universe get killed with a 50/50 chance? Cause technically that would be different!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
if getting population down to a half is good, then getting it down to a quarter would be even better

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

So did %50 of the universe get killed, or did every living being in the universe get killed with a 50/50 chance? Cause technically that would be different!

Second option, and in a freak statistical anomaly, 100% of all life is eradicated.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mymla posted:

Second option, and in a freak statistical anomaly, 100% of all life is eradicated.

And the resources were plentiful. :unsmith:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Bloop posted:

Yeah like killing is bad in these movies.

Death is so casual and pointless in Avengers that they had to give Spiderman the Auschwitz treatment to provoke a reaction, like that My Little Pony photoshop.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I read the lines.

It could certainly have been written better. The monster comment is pretty clearly about the whole package, being transformed from a person into a programmed assassin. The sterilization was just part of it. The actors agree. The writers agree. The director agrees.

Yes, it could have been written far better and this conversation years later is proof of that. But that's the lesson, not "Whedon and The Avengers hate sterile-people"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Matt Lindland posted:

Mr. Strange knows some spells but I wish he'd do more techniques and stuff instead of going Hup, Hip, HA and fist fighting. Minor quibble from me in this otherwise great film, that's the most popular film in the history of the medium.

I like the representation of magic in the film as being not some harry potter-esque 'it's in your genes and you get to throw bolts of light at each other through sticks' but rather essentially a martial art that requires a great deal of skill, precision timing, intense concentration, and occasionally the utilization of some powerful objects.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My ending for Avengers 4: Thor gets the gauntlet and because he doesn't know math, wishes the population be increased by 50%

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah like killing is bad in these movies.

Death is so casual and pointless in Avengers that they had to give Spiderman the Auschwitz treatment to provoke a reaction, like that My Little Pony photoshop.

loving what?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

I like the representation of magic in the film as being not some harry potter-esque 'it's in your genes and you get to throw bolts of light at each other through sticks' but rather essentially a martial art that requires a great deal of skill, precision timing, intense concentration, and occasionally the utilization of some powerful objects.

And those powerful objects, infinity stone aside, were also created through the disciplined application of those principles, rather than just being MAGIC

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Strange used a helluva lot normal magic in this film that wasn't just martial arts. Energy swords, energy chains, self duplication, reality warping and attack reflecting/turning into butterflies. What more did they need to do?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When Chris Pratt says that the plan was his idea after they get the drop on Thanos, does he mean the incredibly basic and stupid idea of pulling the glove off of him?

Also it seemed like a subtle joke that after Thanos calls Spiderman an insect he tries to say something but get choked out immediately, because him saying “spiders are arachnids!” is so obvious everyone could instantly imagine it for themselves once the setup arrives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rip me

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope you'll be remembered.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I won’t be

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AndyElusive posted:

I hope you'll be remembered.

AVENGE ME!!! AVENGE ME!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Davros1 posted:

Rip greatest Avenger character. :(.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

I still can't believe they put Harry Dean Stanton in that movie, gave him dialogue, but didn't recreate that scene.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nice i survived thanos

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

if you survived delete the thanosnumber cookie and refresh the page until you die.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There should be a special toxx thread where somehow someone can gather the SAfinity stones and get to bbe a moderator, but everyone else who participated in the thread is banned 50% random chance. And you get a gang tag for participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

There should be a special toxx thread where somehow someone can gather the SAfinity stones and get to bbe a moderator, but everyone else who participated in the thread is banned 50% random chance. And you get a gang tag for participating.

Ready Poster One lookin bad