Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's very easy on the refugees scenario.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If a single dwelling is not comfortable then I have a serious problem in my city.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They never said anything about not having a shitload of care houses!

(better get that factory pumping out prosthetics immediately)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I suppose my steampunk cyborgs wouldn't mind the cold so much....

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, I was dimming on this game hard, because as I mentioned upthread I felt like I had it beat pretty quickly, and kept giving up on saves early as I "had it down.". I'd get to around day 25-30ish with zero deaths, a fully built city, most of the research tree down, etc.

Friend convinced me to jump up to Hard. Here's my mode, christ. I'm getting my rear end beat every single day, every choice is a fuckup, and I actually have to use the negative modifiers from the Book of Laws just to get through it all. Child Labor actually makes sense now, because oh boy do I not have enough resource gathers, and I can't build a Beacon ( 35 STEEL? IN THIS ECONOMY. MY WORKERS ARE NEEDED EVERYWHERE ELSE. ). I had to build two Hunters Huts ASAP just to keep food up, but now I lack the workers to get me Coal.

First cold front felt twice as bad. It basically ended me by day 6.

This is a whole new game that doesn't gently caress around at all, I love it.

Any other Hard players in the thread? Seems all houses have to be built around the Gen, no exceptions because the first cold snap is so much worse. I think next game I'm going to just rush wood ASAP to get those two Hunters Huts/Workshop/etc, then once I have the wood I need, send everyone over to Coal to gear up for the later days. Then try and rush Sawmill before better Hunters so I can gather wood quicker and get into the t2 for Coal Mine/Hot House once I actually get a Beacon up.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Ya, I beat the main story on normal and switched over to hard right away. I'd watched a bunch of streams before hand up to day 10 or so, so hadn't gone in completely unprepared. Beat all 3 scenarios on hard, and got all the achievements accept Golden Path (bugged for some people it seems) and "Bread and Games" (bugged for everyone).

I personally found the Refugees scenario the hardest on Hard. A New Home becomes fairly easy after the first 10 days if you manage to get ahead of the curve, and after figuring out some tricks on hard The Arks was pretty easy. Keeping up with the massive waves of people in the Refugees though really pushed me more than the other scenarios did. And ya, I've found the dogpiling wood hard early on is critical. You need so much of it for buildings, and research constantly wants it and you do NOT want to be wasting time not researching stuff do to lack of wood.

My only complaint right now about FrostPunk is I want to play it more but I've run out of stuff to do. Give me more scenarios! Discontent rises!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Part of me thought that the huge storm in A New Home wouldn't actually end, that not all struggles could be won.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
More for myself than anyone else, but a basic Law research order: Emergency Shift - Soup - Cemetery - Fighting Pit - Extended Shift, mixing in children laws as needs warrant. Personally, I'd rather send the ankle biters into the snow. We need wood, and little hands can pick up the crates as well as big ones. For research, I might say Steam Hub -> Coal Thumper -> Tier 1 -> Hothouse -> Wall Drill -> Beacon.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Faldoncow posted:

Ya, I beat the main story on normal and switched over to hard right away. I'd watched a bunch of streams before hand up to day 10 or so, so hadn't gone in completely unprepared. Beat all 3 scenarios on hard, and got all the achievements accept Golden Path (bugged for some people it seems) and "Bread and Games" (bugged for everyone).

I personally found the Refugees scenario the hardest on Hard. A New Home becomes fairly easy after the first 10 days if you manage to get ahead of the curve, and after figuring out some tricks on hard The Arks was pretty easy. Keeping up with the massive waves of people in the Refugees though really pushed me more than the other scenarios did. And ya, I've found the dogpiling wood hard early on is critical. You need so much of it for buildings, and research constantly wants it and you do NOT want to be wasting time not researching stuff do to lack of wood.

My only complaint right now about FrostPunk is I want to play it more but I've run out of stuff to do. Give me more scenarios! Discontent rises!

I agree, on hard difficulty Arks is pretty straightforward, A New Home is hard until you figure out a way to get through the first week in good shape, Refugees is hard pretty much right to the end unless you turn away the Lords in which case it gets a bit easier. I am stoked to get back in to the game when there are some new scenarios but for now I feel like I've done all there is to do.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

New Home on Hard is a blast. On normal I finished without any real concerns but hard was difficult the entire time. I mean, every resource was difficult to maintain. I still managed to take in all the survivors available but a shitload of them died but the city survived.

Apparently "the line" is public denunciation of the wicked. So as long as you're below faith keepers and public denunciation you should be good to go on the morality front. Otherwise I still managed to survive without toooooo much trouble on the hope/discontent front. The 40+ deaths kind of hosed up the hope modifier but the church handed out some pancakes so that was fine.

Rookersh posted:

Man, I was dimming on this game hard, because as I mentioned upthread I felt like I had it beat pretty quickly, and kept giving up on saves early as I "had it down.". I'd get to around day 25-30ish with zero deaths, a fully built city, most of the research tree down, etc.

Friend convinced me to jump up to Hard. Here's my mode, christ. I'm getting my rear end beat every single day, every choice is a fuckup, and I actually have to use the negative modifiers from the Book of Laws just to get through it all. Child Labor actually makes sense now, because oh boy do I not have enough resource gathers, and I can't build a Beacon ( 35 STEEL? IN THIS ECONOMY. MY WORKERS ARE NEEDED EVERYWHERE ELSE. ). I had to build two Hunters Huts ASAP just to keep food up, but now I lack the workers to get me Coal.

First cold front felt twice as bad. It basically ended me by day 6.

This is a whole new game that doesn't gently caress around at all, I love it.

Any other Hard players in the thread? Seems all houses have to be built around the Gen, no exceptions because the first cold snap is so much worse. I think next game I'm going to just rush wood ASAP to get those two Hunters Huts/Workshop/etc, then once I have the wood I need, send everyone over to Coal to gear up for the later days. Then try and rush Sawmill before better Hunters so I can gather wood quicker and get into the t2 for Coal Mine/Hot House once I actually get a Beacon up.

Hard is really, really fun. My tactic was to build 8 houses around the generator, a med post, and a workshop. Then research steam hubs as soon as possible, and put a steam hub away from the generator. Put a fighting pit right next to it, and destroy/rebuild all your houses around the steam hub. Emergency shift as much as needed from there and put whatever around the generator as needed.

It would have been impossible if I didn't do the thing where I pull workers off whatever at 18:00 and stuff them all into hunters' huts. Just not enough food and coal to do it otherwise.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jokes posted:

New Home on Hard is a blast. On normal I finished without any real concerns but hard was difficult the entire time. I mean, every resource was difficult to maintain. I still managed to take in all the survivors available but a shitload of them died but the city survived.

Apparently "the line" is public denunciation of the wicked. So as long as you're below faith keepers and public denunciation you should be good to go on the morality front. Otherwise I still managed to survive without toooooo much trouble on the hope/discontent front. The 40+ deaths kind of hosed up the hope modifier but the church handed out some pancakes so that was fine.

You can definitely still have Faith Keepers and stay on the good side of the line, at least on normal. I had them, but didn't go for denunciations or ice pope, and it still worked out for me. Perhaps it helped that I only did the flogging thing like twice total, and one of those was to fulfill a promise? :shrug:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They trick is to only flog those who want it. :bigtran:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The concept of drilling through a glacial wall to flush out a tree with hot water from a half mile away is pretty cool.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I figured out the Endings.

Between 1-3 "bad" choices get you the good ending. "Bad" choices are things like Child Labor, Mass Graves, Dueling, Prostitution, etc. It seems each choice has a weight to it, apparently you can do 4 "bad" choices if they are all minor ones. Child Labor is not a minor one. SOUP is still considered a bad choice by the way, just a minor one. The gently caress do these guys have against Soup?

If you do more then 3 "bad" choices you get the neutral ending. ie "Was it worth it.".

If you choose the red research in Faith/Order you get the bad ending. ie "We crossed a line and lost our humanity.".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I think a lot of this game's weirdness could be solved with a find->replace of soup->gruel

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay starting my first serious playthrough. I wish we could zoom in further, I want to examine my tiny citizens more closely.

Also, I'm not an engineer or anything but I feel like there must be a more effective way to keep the city warm than to build a tower spewing heat into the sky far above all the actual people and buildings that need it...?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Zoe posted:

Okay starting my first serious playthrough. I wish we could zoom in further, I want to examine my tiny citizens more closely.

Also, I'm not an engineer or anything but I feel like there must be a more effective way to keep the city warm than to build a tower spewing heat into the sky far above all the actual people and buildings that need it...?

I'm under the impression that it doesn't actually radiate heat, but that it provides steam to heat the buildings within range.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zoe posted:

I think it's suppose to be radiating heat instead of convection through the air, but you would be correct.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So, uh, turns out Triage doesn't just affect the patients in the medical facility where you trigger it. It affects EVERY sick person at once. I healed 300 people and tanked half the Hope meter with one click :commissar:

Ceremonial Burials is suddenly very tempting in the Refugees scenario.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

edit: mispost

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Zoe posted:

next you'll tell me that covered walkways would be a worthwhile investment, or that it would be possible to build a child shelter that also housed the children

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I don't usually link to :reddit: but here's a good guide on how to get the most tents on the first generator ring.

It basically boils down to gaming the grid system to get the tents snapped halfway out of the heating zone, so it still counts but you're on a larger diameter grid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Frostpunk/comments/8ghzp0/how_to_fit_12_houses_in_the_first_heat_zone_ring/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
e: Actually screw that.

What's the plan for dealing with sickness on Hard? I got to day 9 with a Steelworks/Sawmill up, but still no Beacon ( couldn't afford it ) and like 50 sick. Even with heating as best I could. It got to the point I couldn't ignore it, as people were gearing up to depose me.

Seems like it might be worth it to just hit Overcrowding ASAP to stop people from working while sick initially so they can be healed in 2-3 hours rather then 2-3 days?

Alternatively, might be better to gather steel quicker so I can get a Beacon up faster. That way it doesn't matter if half my population is sick, the other half can work.

e: Also trick I found. During the first 4 days, before the cold snap it's warm enough you don't need the Gen on at all. You'll get Discontent if you don't turn it on at night, but it's a real easy way to gather up 500-600 Coal upfront.

Also some other quick tips.

- You don't need a Cookhouse until day 3. You should get 1/2 Hunter Huts up by end of day 1 however just to get food in ASAP.

- Gatherers Huts are must build. They have a 25% increased gather rate from gathering naturally, give heat so less sickness initially, and can cover 3 piles at once with only 10 workers. Once salvaged they give back almost all their resources, so in reality they only cost 3 wood/1 steel from loss. The higher gather rate more then makes up for the cost of them ( especially being able to gather Steel/Wood at the same time/same rate. ).

- You want a Beacon up ASAP so you can get your free Steam Core/Automaton/Food/Steel.. Even if you get hit with short term pain, it's worth it for those first real returns. I'd argue you want to use your first Steam Core on a Hothouse, with your second probably being used for a Coal Mine. Or just get a Thumper and put them near your two Coal Gatherers Huts until you get other resources handled. 2 Hothouses/2 HH would probably be an easy way to keep Discontent down with a larger population from finding folks.

- Overcrowding seems extremely worth it. People getting sicker because they aren't getting treated is number one thing that'll end your games. I lost two Hard games in a row because I ignored Health until forced to, and when I finally built 2 more Medical Posts everyone was extremely sick and needed 2-3 days to recover. By that point I was too deep in the hole and couldn't come back from it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Getting the Good End in the refugees scenario had me run head-first into a problem that I genuinely wasn't ready for: running out of space. Sorry, Lord Craven, gonna have to let the mob lynch you because we need to free up a bed for someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Did get a kick out of people getting all upset about a Lord refusing to work in my steampunk communist utopia where the like 80% of my population just watches the fighting pits 24/7. You don't work either, my dude. I cannot build enough jobs for everyone to work. He's fine. It's fine.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 3, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rookersh posted:

So I figured out the Endings.

Between 1-3 "bad" choices get you the good ending. "Bad" choices are things like Child Labor, Mass Graves, Dueling, Prostitution, etc. It seems each choice has a weight to it, apparently you can do 4 "bad" choices if they are all minor ones. Child Labor is not a minor one. SOUP is still considered a bad choice by the way, just a minor one. The gently caress do these guys have against Soup?

If you do more then 3 "bad" choices you get the neutral ending. ie "Was it worth it.".

If you choose the red research in Faith/Order you get the bad ending. ie "We crossed a line and lost our humanity.".

I never picked Child Labor, Mass Graves, Dueling, Prostitution, I never even researched SOUP. I never selected the red research (new faith popelord?) nor the public confiscation/flagellants (the one that supposedly gives you some minor resources right? never picked that one). I guided every civ found and allowed them in even tho they were all sick and ended game with 685 alive, 2 dead, never punished anyone for the events, I scouted every position. and I still got ~FAITH WAS ABuSeD, Somethingsomething,... WaS it WoRtH It??~~ ending

The only thing I can think of is I scouted out 3 civ camps in that time where you're preparing for the megastorm ,which ended up being all about civillian camps, and since they were like all sick, i had to pump out 6x house of healing to house like 100 sick people and I think one of the things that popped up at the end was "U HAD MASS SICKNESS, WAS IT WORTH IT" well no loving poo poo. they were all healed with no problems after a day or two

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Acute Grill posted:

Getting the Good End in the refugees scenario had me run head-first into a problem that I genuinely wasn't ready for: running out of space.

I just finished the refugees game and what I had was a max range upgraded generator with 4 rows of tents around it. That did the trick for beds, then all the infrastructure poo poo that works with heaters was on the outside.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
How many people does one hunter hut support? I hate spending cores on hothouses and my food supply seems to careen wildly between maxing out food production and max hunger. Also, how many workshops do most people build and when? My last game I made it to the ice storm but was only at tech level 3 or 4 and got my poo poo snowed in.

I was halfway tempted on my next run to spend all cores on automatons and then just pare the population down to a small group of relatively pampered people who basically just hunt and live. Basically the Frostpunk version of Rogue Servitors. Is this a viable strategy?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

GamingHyena posted:

How many people does one hunter hut support? I hate spending cores on hothouses and my food supply seems to careen wildly between maxing out food production and max hunger. Also, how many workshops do most people build and when? My last game I made it to the ice storm but was only at tech level 3 or 4 and got my poo poo snowed in.

I was halfway tempted on my next run to spend all cores on automatons and then just pare the population down to a small group of relatively pampered people who basically just hunt and live. Basically the Frostpunk version of Rogue Servitors. Is this a viable strategy?

Edit: Math was wrong initially

People I think eat one meal a day unless starving and they eat two

So using the base Hunter Hut on Normal gets you 15 raw food

In the Cookhouse you can convert 2 raw food into 4 meals base, 5 "soup" (actually probably needs to be renamed gruel), 6 Sawdust

So 30(R)/37.5(S)/45(SW)

If you get the improved hunting it goes up to 20 raw food

So it becomes 40(R)/50(S)/60(SW)

Once you get fliers it jumps up to 30 raw food
or 28 on Hard

So it becomes 60(R)/75(S)/90(SW)

So to keep say by the endgame 750 people alive you need

12.5(R)/10.00(S)/8.33(SW) Flying Hunter Lodges to not run a deficit of food more if you want or need to stockpile.

By looking at the numbers, yeah Food is the big bottleneck probably moreso than Coal, I think researching the improved hunters ASAP is probably the most important of the early upgrades.

So to keep everyone on regular rations it takes 2.5 more than running with the "Soup" law, but Soup only requires 1.67 more Hunter huts than using Sawdust meals. On a Space Premium map like refugees Hunters gather food for soup probably makes the most sense.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Truga posted:

I just finished the refugees game and what I had was a max range upgraded generator with 4 rows of tents around it. That did the trick for beds, then all the infrastructure poo poo that works with heaters was on the outside.

Yeah, building houses in circles all around the generator seems like the best way of doing things in all three scenarios. I keep trying to do things like putting the Cookhouse or a Medical District in there and it just screws up the whole thing.

Also someone needs to have a word with the Cookhouse staff, how the hell is the building where we keep all the fire get cold so easily? Get your poo poo together, cooks.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
One thing I find that I'm missing is to be able to set the game speed independent of the difficulty like in They Are Billions. Would be nice to be able to stretch the time before the storm hits out a bit, or shorten it to make the game even more frantic.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Jack2142 posted:

People I think eat one meal a day unless starving and they eat two

So using the base Hunter Hut on Normal gets you 15 raw food

In the Cookhouse you can convert each raw food into 4 meals base, 5 "soup" (actually probably needs to be renamed gruel), 6 Sawdust

So 60(R)/75(S)/90(SW)

If you get the improved hunting it goes up to 20 raw food

So it becomes 80(R)/100(S)/120(SW)

Once you get fliers it jumps up to 30 raw food

So it becomes 120(R)/150(S)/180(SW)

So to keep say by the endgame 750 people alive you need

6.25(R)/5.00(S)/4.16 Flying Hunter Lodges to not run a deficit of food more if you want or need to stockpile.

Hate to mess up your math, but the ratio is 2 raw : 4 meals, or 2 raw : 5 meals with soup. So on hard with no upgrades, 1 Hunter's Hut (13 raw /day) provides food for 26 people while taking up 15 people for the job.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm on the verge of completing Scenario 1 on hard. It really is a different game on that setting.

Early game is a struggle - especially when it comes to housing and keeping everyone warm. The Workshops were alternating 24 hour shifts while I had all kids gathering - not because I really felt they needed to - but because I didn't have the wood for the child shelters. You're constantly trying to keep up with research and heat, toggling the overdrive like the storm is there.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Just got the quest to "prepare for the storm" and I'm already fully prepared.

Kinda thinking I didn't need to be as big a jerk as I was now. Especially the pope law....and the flagellation stuff.....and the executions......and those kids in the cave.....

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Faldoncow posted:

Hate to mess up your math, but the ratio is 2 raw : 4 meals, or 2 raw : 5 meals with soup. So on hard with no upgrades, 1 Hunter's Hut (13 raw /day) provides food for 26 people while taking up 15 people for the job.

Thats fine, it felt a little low, but I was doing this at night going back and redoing this.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"So Mrs. Harrison... you're telling me I can cram 5 working engineers and 10 patients in a tent which is half the size of this massive 2 heat insulation building, but you can't fit more than 15 kids in here?

No, I understand completely, school supplies and all..... say, have you met Father Penitence of my Faith Keepers? He really has a way with words that I do not. I'll leave you two to it."

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"So Mrs. Harrison... you're telling me I can cram 5 working engineers and 10 patients in a tent which is half the size of this massive 2 heat insulation building, but you can't fit more than 15 kids in here?

No, I understand completely, school supplies and all..... say, have you met Father Penitence of my Faith Keepers? He really has a way with words that I do not. I'll leave you two to it."

Someone make a mod that lets you order Overcrowding for child shelters.

(I remember hearing this game was supposed to be very moddable. Did anything come of that?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn this was in early access just a few weeks ago. I'm really excited to pick it up. How does it compare to TWoM? As far as the actual gameplay, I mean. I liked that TWoM was just complex enough to be satisfying, and the term RTS makes me worried. Is it pretty easy to play? (Not "win", just play).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty easy to play and it's very much not a RTS in that you can always just pause and give orders if you feel overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Cheston posted:

Someone make a mod that lets you order Overcrowding for child shelters.

(I remember hearing this game was supposed to be very moddable. Did anything come of that?)

They've said they have some interest in allowing/supporting mods, but it wasn't on the table for release. My biggest issue with child shelters is the drat things don't benefit from any insulation upgrades, so by late game are constantly freezing and I feel terrible.