Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corrosion posted:

Was there a draw [of those games] to you otherwise?

Yeah, I've always been a fan of the MK games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think anything beats Dune for battle that's like one page long becoming a massive setpiece in adaptations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I've always been a fan of the MK games.

And they have always been stiff and poorly animated especially the digitized MK games. NRS continues to form. (I am a big fan of NRS titles) I think its to keep the model animations within a certain speed for frame data to keep the game fast.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Doesn't it cut back to the hobbits during?

Not in the book, no.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrJacobs posted:

And they have always been stiff and poorly animated especially the digitized MK games. NRS continues to form. (I am a big fan of NRS titles) I think its to keep the model animations within a certain speed for frame data to keep the game fast.

Sure but that's not how animation works. When you have less frames to convey motion, the motion has to be big to register and read. I mean, the digitized games figured out keyframing and applied it in a different way, there's no sensible reason to abandon that principle. If you look at the sprite captures of the actual actors, they look "posed" but not unnatural, because they have some understanding of the way human bodies work.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

If you look at the sprite captures of the actual actors, they look "posed" but not unnatural, because they have some understanding of the way human bodies work.

Mortal Kombat 1-3 were fortunate in regard to this, as it was largely a product of digitized graphics. But fighting games that were designed around super fluid animation, like Street Fighter III, and the fallacy of thinking all fighting games should animate this way, became something to copy and that's when MK abandoned this principle of how bodies would work. And really, that's just a product of SF4 being derivative of SF3 and MK9 being somewhat doomed to having reactionary lineage, going for cheaper SF4-esque design ideas. That's probably the one thing that Boon abandoned when fighting games transitioned to other graphical styles, which was a fidelity to the design of how his game worked relative to how it moved/looked. Mortal Kombat 4 and onward are detrimentally reactionary fighting games. The strength of MK9 in gameplay is that it was merely reacting to Street Fighter IV-sploitation and retro/nostalgia. Still, I don't really get how one says MK1-3 look/animate poorly. Those games were no worse than their contemporaries, often coming out ahead in a lot of respects. Like, look at all the games that ape Mortal Kombat's digitized look and say classic MK actually looks or animates poorly with a straight face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If this film's going to be made for 10 million (like they've been saying), could they even afford Foxx?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Netherrealms knows how to animate, when it's outside of the actual gameplay, maybe it's a contingency due to their no hitbox model or someone inside the company is really adamant about having darkseid kick like he couldn't get up a knee high wall

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corrosion posted:

Mortal Kombat 1-3 were fortunate in regard to this, as it was largely a product of digitized graphics. But fighting games that were designed around super fluid animation, like Street Fighter III, and the fallacy of thinking all fighting games should animate this way, became something to copy and that's when MK abandoned this principle of how bodies would work. And really, that's just a product of SF4 being derivative of SF3 and MK9 being somewhat doomed to having reactionary lineage, going for cheaper SF4-esque design ideas. That's probably the one thing that Boon abandoned when fighting games transitioned to other graphical styles, which was a fidelity to the design of how his game worked relative to how it moved/looked. Mortal Kombat 4 and onward are detrimentally reactionary fighting games. The strength of MK9 in gameplay is that it was merely reacting to Street Fighter IV-sploitation and retro/nostalgia. Still, I don't really get how one says MK1-3 look/animate poorly. Those games were no worse than their contemporaries, often coming out ahead in a lot of respects. Like, look at all the games that ape Mortal Kombat's digitized look and say classic MK actually looks or animates poorly with a straight face.

Yeah, MK 1-3 animate very well, it's just conflated with the way the animation and sprites used and reused (which I also think is smart). And obviously "understanding of the way human bodies work" was a joke about them being real people.

Honest Thief posted:

Netherrealms knows how to animate, when it's outside of the actual gameplay, maybe it's a contingency due to their no hitbox model or someone inside the company is really adamant about having darkseid kick like he couldn't get up a knee high wall

The "swat" he does looks hilariously bad, it doesn't look like he's contemptous or arrogant, it looks like he has a piece of tape stuck to his finger and is trying to get it off.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

And obviously "understanding of the way human bodies work" was a joke about them being real people.

Nah man, gently caress Ed Boon lol I will freely oscillate between praising Boon's inventiveness and not giving him one inch of credit for his goofy poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I admire how committed Ed Boon is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Between tj miller and their twilight zone esque sacrifice of the poor driver lady, it's nice to be able to hate deadpool n Ryan Reynolds (I never stopped).
They've both been pretty much nothing but continually annoying for the last decade or two. The casting really was a match made in heaven considering the various obnoxious tryhard quip talk roles Reynolds has had like blade 3.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Noob Saibot name is the coolest mirror name since Alucard or redrum.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

. The casting really was a match made in heaven considering the various obnoxious tryhard quip talk roles Reynolds has had like blade 3.

For that movie, he was given Deadpool comics and told that was who he was, so you're kind of right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TJ Miller filmed all his stuff well before allegations came out and I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect a fun to either reshoot or delete the character in post. The stunt lady who died was a really sad accident. Painting it as some kind of sacrifice is gross. There's one other stunt person who says she wasn't comfortable with the stunt and shouldn't have done it, but her accounts are conflicted by others.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do you think they'll let T.J. watch the premiere from federal prison?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The Virgin Darkseid vs. the Chad Thanos

Isn't Thanos's whole motivation the fact that he's an incel?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's not like Jamie Foxx has signed on or even expressed an interest in the movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't Thanos's whole motivation the fact that he's an incel?
IIRC he sired a bunch of children and then killed them all for Death. I don't know if they ever answered the question of whether or not he's really Nebula's grandfather.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I thought all his children were were orphans he picked up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress was Peter Jackson thinking with those Hobbit movies.

Turns out that Weinstein said that if Jackson didn't do it then Quentin Tarantino was ready to make the Hobbit movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

Turns out that Weinstein said that if Jackson didn't do it then Quentin Tarantino was ready to make the Hobbit movie.

Oh god, the Hobbit feet shots we were spared...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god, the Hobbit feet shots we were spared...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Costume looks great.

Background looks confusing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a fan poster, folks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, the guy who posted that in BSS just clarified that it was fan-made. Sorry.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Honest Thief posted:

Noob Saibot name is the coolest mirror name since Alucard or redrum.

Rellik is killer spelled backwards!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's a drat good fan poster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Corrosion posted:

Looking at it from a distance after we've all played these games for decades it's easy to see the trends and disparities (or lack of) in overall presentation and how these games have reacted to each other. But no normal person is going to believe that Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mortal Kombat 3, King of Fighters '95, and Guilty Gear X have about the same number of frames drawn (well digitized in MK3's case) for the characters' move - the same "level" of animation - even though that's true.

I think that Boon wasn't totally wrong to change up the look in that respect because that particular nuance of matching the animation to how a one on one fighter controls is obviously EXTREMELY important, but I don't think people really notice it on that level unless it's done extremely well or extremely bad. He was right in that it looks and sounds and plays enough like Mortal Kombat while still taking Street Fighter IV into account that it works.

This conversation makes me even more nostalgic for 90s SNK than I already am. Like we talk about the different fighting games around today and animation styles and stuff. SNK dropped Art of Fighting 3, Real Bout Special, and King of Fighters '96 in the same year. It's crazy how different are coming from one company in one year.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh I thought all his children were were orphans he picked up

Yeah I forget how it is in the comics but in the MCU in Guardians 1 we learn that whenever he genocides a planet he singles out whoever he thinks is the one most absolute badass person from it and that person becomes one of his children to train to be a powerful assassin/right hand.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I forget how it is in the comics but in the MCU in Guardians 1 we learn that whenever he genocides a planet he singles out whoever he thinks is the one most absolute badass person from it and that person becomes one of his children to train to be a powerful assassin/right hand.

Does the first Guardians actually establish that Gamora was an absolute badass on her planet before she's adopted? Don't recall there being that kind of detail.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does the first Guardians actually establish that Gamora was an absolute badass on her planet before she's adopted? Don't recall there being that kind of detail.

IIRC Thanos' system in Guardians is that as everyone's systematically killed, whatever kid from the population survives the longest is the one. I mean they'd have to be a pretty badass kid by default.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 3, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neo Rasa posted:

Look at this fuckin' anti-Thanos bias right here.

Is it genocide to lift fishing limits on carp to keep the ecosystem prosperous and healthy for generations to enjoy?

Is it genocide when we cull the deer population to avoid millions of deer carcasses from being left on our roads after being ravaged by famine?

Is it genocide to reduce the hookworm population, so that the rest of the planet's species may live a life of dignity and value?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

One could argue that none of those creatures are sentient, self-aware, or have consciousness.

However, one could also argue that a fish is relatively as sentient to us as we are to a more advanced alien species.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC Thanos' system in Guardians is that as everyone's systematically killed, whatever kid from the population survives the longest is the one. I mean they'd have to be a pretty badass kid by default.

Doesn't he only kill half the population? So is it the last surviving kid from the half that dies only?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Doesn't he only kill half the population? So is it the last surviving kid from the half that dies only?

That's a new thing in Infinity War, in Guardians his entire gimmick is "is powerful enough to roll around destroying whole planets or/and just their population" and dangling that over Ronan's head to get him to find the gem for him is what sets the entire movie in motion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TJ Miller filmed all his stuff well before allegations came out and I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect a fun to either reshoot or delete the character in post. The stunt lady who died was a really sad accident. Painting it as some kind of sacrifice is gross. There's one other stunt person who says she wasn't comfortable with the stunt and shouldn't have done it, but her accounts are conflicted by others.

Yeah, I’m sure that the other people involved are very ready to ruin their careers by speaking up against the studio, you’re right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's sleazy to take someone who was doing their job according to regulations as far as anyone knows and accidentally died tragically and turn that into an unfounded accusation to try and score points against an actor you dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
First Hobbit movie was good. 2 and 3 sucked.

I'm currently reading the book to my 7 year old son and he loves it. I hadn't read it in 35 years and and just don't get all the filler they jammed into those films to make it a trilogy. Whispers in the Dark, Unexpected Guests and the troll scene came off fine in the first movie but WTF was all that other poo poo?

Should have been one 3 hour film. Freeman was good and, like someone else mentioned, the stuff they cribbed directly from the book worked perfectly fine but the White Orc and the Bird poo poo Wizard was simply not needed.