Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

I'm trying to bear with it

does ben poo poo in the woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

intardnation posted:

does ben poo poo in the woods?

No, that would require going anywhere approaching the great outdoors. Also that risk of false alarm earthquake warnings when he inevitably sets off a seismograph.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sample_text posted:

Couldn't post this since I was at work , but...

Behold!
(excuse the guerrilla style filmography, I'm not used to the game's cinematic camera)

https://webmshare.com/play/z4jbK

That's the new warframe screenshot/videoclip mode, right?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

I yearn for the times where they had someone competent make little commercials for their wares. Nowadays we get about a dozen of still images and a bunch of people who should not be in front of a camera in front of a camera half-assedly speaking about how cool a lame cargo transport is.
Little really evidences the reality distortion bubble around CIG more clearly than episodes like this one. The insularity of it all was an incremental process. I know it didn't start with Ship Shape, but even the Ship Shape history itself has an interesting little arc.

Just look at where it started, back in April of 2015. Adorkable Lisa Ohanian with a short, simple summary that felt rough around the edges but hardly like a full-court press on a non-stop sales pitch. A few pictures, some pipeline talk, and it's over in a little more than one minute. They added a title graphic a month or two later. Run time around 5 minutes.

This is it today.

A half hour long. Extended discussions from various artists about gameplay futures that seem entirely outside of engine feasibility. Weirdo inside jokes aimed solely at the long timers and whales and likely to disorient and be off-putting to anyone casually checking out the episode.

TYPE ON SCREEN: "Is this too much. Probably. But I don't care."

Baby talk to grownups who know better: "A couple of months of what we call 'R&D'."

The irony is that the winsome, authentic person of Ohanian inclined the viewer to trust the information given because it wasn't really a sales pitch. Yet today, the sales pitch lasts a half hour and stars a half dozen guys who serve the huge ship schlepping apparatus CIG has built up and normalized under Chris's leadership. A show that began and originally felt like a little update from an actual game studio now puts the macro transactional heart of their enterprise front and center, and blissfully unaware of how completely bizarre and offputting it is to those not completely given over to the collector theorycrafter compulsions that drive them further and further up their own arse and away from anything resembling what they once sort of were and always should've been.

quote:

Why would you bring 200 people to a battlefield when a) those 200 people own at least 200 ships and b) 200 ships are more effective than 200 people in pretty much any circumstance.

The element of surprise?

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Bofast posted:

That's the new warframe screenshot/videoclip mode, right?

Yeah, the captura thing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sample_text posted:

You forgot one thing.

RAMPS!
Their second greatest enemy.

So deadly that they avoided all mention of them when talking about docking.

trucutru posted:

Why would you bring 200 people to a battlefield when a) those 200 people own at least 200 ships and b) 200 ships are more effective than 200 people in pretty much any circumstance.

That's ten bonded EC2 'supercomputers' at least.

'Angels Fall First' is available and out there and playable and pretty much like Planetside II, but without the scale. I keep meaning to see if there are any live servers, but things get in the way.

G0RF posted:

The element of surprise?

As the first Delmarian suicide squad expires on leaving the ramp.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao they talked about having a fitness center on their spaceplane in their space shooting game, bought almost solely by fat nerds who don't excercise. We're through several looking glasses here.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sample_text posted:

Did you know Chris Roberts won the Nobble Piss prize?
Twice!

I heard he would have won it in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, as well, but he never answered the call during these years.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Can somebody do the Sandy & Chris bear-face thingy with this, I would but I can't be arsed and would much rather play Elite:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

also loling at the fact that they made a tank and everyone was like "Hey this is loving dumb, your tank is too big to be worth a poo poo and nothing can carry it" and their answer to this was "make a ship to carry the tank"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

We're through several looking glasses here.

"Well, in our company," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you code very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of development!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the coding you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must code at least twice as fast as that!"

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

G0RF posted:

Speaking of turbo-schlepping, here's Lando pitching the Hercules Starlifter.

I love the shot in that schlepp-a-thon where they rip off this image:

Keep up the Archering, you magnificent so-and-sos. Let not a single bit of original thought taint your neural processes.

:discourse:

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

It's almost as if CIG needed money so they decided to tell people there'd also be a ground vehicular combat and territory control game so they could open up entirely new lines of idiot income to steal.

Now that's just crazy talk right there. You nip that in the bud, hater.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Some Citizens have some questions...

quote:

How the hell will bombing with MOABs work?? That is concerning feature creep to me. Will structures be impervious? Will you just die inside a structure that isn't destroyed? If they're planning destruction of structures that means an enemy bomber could level your whole settlement in one go from the upper atmosphere--and what is your defense other than a permanent combat air patrol?

quote:

I felt the same thing, like has this really been planned out?

One of the devs was [talking about](https://youtu.be/iqVnBrYu2Ns?t=1231) loading 200 players in the back of a Hercules.

Really? There's going to be 200 attackers and maybe 100 defenders in the same instance flying around in ships etc? That sounds a bit ridiculous, surely there's no way that can be handled in real time.

I'd love to be proven wrong and see all this come to life. Right now I'm pretty suspicious.

Don’t think. Spend. Believe. Repeat.

Frank_Leroux posted:

Archering in service of stoking the e-peen spending urges of the goners is never a wasted non-effort...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

"I felt the same thing, like has this really been planned out?" -- a question backers should have asked half a decade ago

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Frank_Leroux posted:

Keep up the Archering, you magnificent so-and-sos. Let not a single bit of original thought taint your neural processes.

There is going to be a bomber variant isnt there? And an AC-130 knockoff? Looking forward to the Hecules Starfortress.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Frank_Leroux posted:

Now that's just crazy talk right there. You nip that in the bud, hater.

You raise a good point. Many, myself included, have implied that CIG is constantly changing the focus of their game in order to chase more money. After investigating all available evidence, I have concluded that I was mistaken in this assertion.

CIG isn't pursuing money - they're evading their own ineptitude.

The said they'd make a space combat game. They failed in every way. They said they'd make ship boarding and derelicts and FPS on ship levels all seamlessly blended. They failed in every way. Then they said they'd make a single-player game with all of those things. They failed in every way. Then they said they'd make planets that were both procedural and hand-crafted with more playable content than all of Skyrim in just one crater amongst what must surely be millions spread amongst moons, solar systems, etc.

To say they failed would be quite the understatement.

CIG is basically in a constant cat and mouse game with their own ineptitude. They say they'll work on something, they fail spectacularly, then quickly memory hole the event and pivot to the next thing. Rinse and repeat. The fact that each new thing just happens to be marketable with a new JPEG is just a happy accident.

Remember when Star Citizen was a space game about space? I barely do.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Frank_Leroux posted:

Bear crobbits this

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Just a minor derail, but Twitter just mentioned that they had a bug which stored passwords unencrypted in some internal log, so you should all change your passwords.

Now back to your regularly scheduled mocking of Clown Imperium Games.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/9mnC3p0.gifv

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Foo Diddley posted:

"Well, in our company," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you code very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of development!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the coding you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must code at least twice as fast as that!"

Love the classical reference. Here's one from more recently. It also points the way for CIG/RSI/whoever to extract even more cash out of their pool of whales.

Once they have all of the mechanics of ground combat with tanks and infantry and such in place...

:gary:

Yes, yes, I know....after that then they need to come up with ANOTHER class of spaceships which dispenses with all of that ground-pounding bullshit and bombards everything from orbit with tungsten rods accelerated to escape velocity. Throw in a few nuclear warheads to keep things interesting.

You could call this ship class the 'Kutuzov'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

also loling at the fact that they made a tank and everyone was like "Hey this is loving dumb, your tank is too big to be worth a poo poo and nothing can carry it" and their answer to this was "make a ship to carry the tank"

Wait until you get a load of the ship used to carry the ship used to carry the tank used to carry the bike.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Wait until you get a load of the ship used to carry the ship used to carry the tank used to carry the bike.

You control the spaceman who controls the bike that parks in the tank that sits in the ship that lands in the ship that crashes the server.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Archering in service of stoking the e-peen spending urges of the goners is never a wasted non-effort...

quote:

Since a size 9 torpedo costs as much as an Aurora, I suspect a MOAB will cost about as much as a settlement.

I mean come on...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Just a minor derail, but Twitter just mentioned that they had a bug which stored passwords unencrypted in some internal log, so you should all change your passwords.

Now back to your regularly scheduled mocking of Clown Imperium Games.

My password is trucutru. That's how much of a poo poo I give about twitter.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean come on...

I can't wait to be able to spend more on consumables.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Remember when Star Citizen was a space game about space? I barely do.

You know, I'm probably an Old Fart TM on this thread. I was in college when WC1 was a 'thing'. I played the poo poo out of Privateer back in the day.

That's all I wanted. A nice little 'pew pew' space game to recapture my goddamn youth.

But noooooo, they had to go and blow this up into some sort of TEACHABLE MOMENT about the dangers of hubris and all that poo poo.

gently caress.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mu77ley posted:

Can somebody do the Sandy & Chris bear-face thingy with this, I would but I can't be arsed and would much rather play Elite:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They've made literally HUNDREDS of photoshops of CIG management as BEARS!!!!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

big nipples big life posted:

A dire threat to the continued development of Star Citizen

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

I wonder...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I wonder...

Almost, friend. Almost.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

GOLD!

Thank you whoever got me the Avatar! Hope lowtaxe's cyber back it studded in diamonds,

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Missed the most important thing! (great work)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

trucutru posted:

Missed the most important thing! (great work)

Perfect

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Stick100 posted:

Personally, after my short time with CryEngine, I'd suggest everyone run far far away from CryEngine.

:laugh:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to get into my Hercules to bomb some dodongors!*

*(Dodongors are still in their conceptual phase).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheAgent posted:

wtfo trying to fly a nox right now is all you need to know about star citizen

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyMildTildePogChamp

hits a bump, spams exit game faster than a forumdad running into a pvp situation

nothing to see here guys

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I miss Ryan Archer. He truly embodied the spirit of the project is a way that anybody could understand.

Sadly, for some mysterious reason, his web presence vanished, like the dew. Here are his last words (of wisdom)

quote:

Many of you may not know that recently there has been some controversy centered around my artwork in general and especially that used on the presentation of the KickStarter for the Star Traders game which has recently funded. I know there are some people who have been very upset by this.

First let me say that I made mistakes in how I dealt with some of my reference materials. We did our best to remove the offending art. I also took the time to reach out to the artists whose work was involved. They have all been very generous and understanding and they seemed appreciative that I went to them directly and that I did not mean to disrespect any of their work in this manner. A couple of them even complimented my work which is incredibly humbling coming from such talented artists.

I’m doing my best to learn from this experience and grow into a better artist taking care with how I create my work because of it.

Some of the work people have been offended by was meant for practice and for my own personal growth and others even though we did have permission to use we decided to take down because of how upset people were getting over it. One piece in particular that was used for a box cover we had been told was public domain by our original source however many other sources expressed claims to the copyright and to be safe we removed and replaced that art also as best that we were able.

I spent some time discussing this issue among other artists with respect to artwork in general. Some felt that a piece shouldn’t ever closely resemble any other piece or reference images while others I talked to felt that in many cases it’s inevitable for there to be similarities especially when the nature of the work is to be evocative of something else.

I’m still not sure I know where the line should be drawn, but I’m endeavoring to be less reliant on reference materials and to take much more care in creating future works.

If you would like to respond to me or ask me a question I’d ask that you please do so on my website here.

Thank you very much.

:911:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Make ben the spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Blue On Blue posted:

Make ben the spider

Would break tree

Would leave crater

Would kill crobear