Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want a new Ratchet and Clank. I'll probably capitulate and pony up for Playstation Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm in a 40 inch 4K tv sitting maybe five or six feet away and the text is still ridiculous on some screens.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

I want a new Ratchet and Clank. I'll probably capitulate and pony up for Playstation Now.

I played through the entirety of the R&C remake the other week, and dang, that game is pretty as hell and fun to boot. I want to see more of the games rebooted - at this point I've forgotten them entirely anyway so they barely even have to write a new plot!

(I mean for the remake they just took it from the movie anyway)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm in a 40 inch 4K tv sitting maybe five or six feet away and the text is still ridiculous on some screens.

I'm sitting about the same distance away and having the same problem. But my TV's only like 27 inches and that was an upgrade since I still had one of those massive CRTs the size of a suitcase. It's Dead Rising subtitles all over again.

Morpheus posted:

I played through the entirety of the R&C remake the other week, and dang, that game is pretty as hell and fun to boot. I want to see more of the games rebooted - at this point I've forgotten them entirely anyway so they barely even have to write a new plot!

(I mean for the remake they just took it from the movie anyway)

The only real issues it has are not giving you a combat arena so you can power up your combo easily and for fighting fun times. No great place to find enemies once you've beaten the story on that planet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Montalvo posted:

I'll see how I do and lower the difficulty to easy if it gets in the way of having fun. I did HZD and Witcher 3 on the easiest difficulties and had a blast.

One day I realized I was old and didn't have time to bash my head against games (that aren't fun to bash your head against) I have no problem playing on easy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

The only real issues it has are not giving you a combat arena so you can power up your combo easily and for fighting fun times. No great place to find enemies once you've beaten the story on that planet.

True. I ended up just fighting (near-end-game-boss spoiler for a old-rear end game I guess)Quark over and over again and dying when he was close to death. Weapons rocketed up in levels.

Edit: I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on the planet who didn't like Red Dead Redemption. I played it when it first came out, lost interest. Played it again later with a pack that included the undead story thing, got a little into Mexico and was bored the entire way. The characters suck, the activities suck, the story is garbage due to the aforementioned characters, the gunplay is okay. The setting is the only good thing going for it and even then it just means that there are huge tracks of desert between any points of interest.

Marston: I need this information/help and I'm going to kill you if you don't do it or give it to me.
Literally Every Story NPC: Wait before I do that, please do this list of menial tasks for me.
Marston: Well okay but this is the last time.

Repeat for every mission.

The ranch woman was the best character in the game and she vanishes for no reason whatsoever after her little plot is finished.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 3, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Friends, i have just bought a ps4 along with god of war and a set of 3 weird playlink games that all came free that im probably never gonna play but anywho, i put the god of war disc in and it started to install the game auto, fair enough i guess, which said it was only 9gigs but when i checked the storage settings it says god of war is now 38gigs.

It also started downloading a patch, fair enough i guess, but i checked the download and first it said 300mb or something and it would be done in minutes but i check again and now its a 4gig patch v1.17 and i guess i gotta wait an hour but didnt the game come out last week?

I think my question is, is this poo poo normal? Because lol suddenly regretting cheaping out for the 500gb model.

You can play while getting patches on ps4 at least unlike some consoles

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

I think my question is, is this poo poo normal? Because lol suddenly regretting cheaping out for the 500gb model.

500 GB is less than you'd think. But you can always get an external or replace the internal drive, it's very easy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bombadilillo posted:

One day I realized I was old and didn't have time to bash my head against games (that aren't fun to bash your head against) I have no problem playing on easy.

This is me now. I feel bad about it but it is what it is. Back in the day I could beat MGS3 on hard (with the poo poo camera) and survive at six stars on GTA III for like 20 minutes...how much you want to bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

There's a limit to it though - I used the built-in cheats in FF7 on PS4 quite a bit and finally beat the game but boy it felt hollow. But without them a lot of the game is bullshit.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yes, it's fairly common for a lot of the bigger-budget games to come in at 20, 30, 40 or even 50GB. However it's very easy to replace the hard disk with a larger one, I bought a 2TB drive and haven't looked back.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
500gb is fine for me cuz i just delete games when I'm finished playing them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cheating myself to 9999999 credits in Mass Effect 1 or 9999999 of each resource in ME2 is so automatic I don't even think twice about it and would say they're necessary for getting the most out of the game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Look at this guy, finishing games and bragging about it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

There's a limit to it though - I used the built-in cheats in FF7 on PS4 quite a bit and finally beat the game but boy it felt hollow. But without them a lot of the game is bullshit.

This might be the first time I've heard someone call FF7 bullshit. Not even just hard, but bullshit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This might be the first time I've heard someone call FF7 bullshit. Not even just hard, but bullshit.

I'm mostly referring to the optional stuff. The regular boss fights aren't hard. The only bullshit part of the main game is that it takes forever, also the required minigames really suck but the cheats don't help with that. I basically never beat it before because I just got bored with it, so I guess that's mostly what I'm referring to - fast forwarding through the game was the only way I could tolerate it.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 3, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nail Rat posted:

This is me now. I feel bad about it but it is what it is. Back in the day I could beat MGS3 on hard (with the poo poo camera) and survive at six stars on GTA III for like 20 minutes...how much you want to bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

Huh. I just played FF7 through on PS4 without using any of the cheats and thought it was pretty fair. I didn't do any of the optional Weapon fights but I did do the Shinra Mansion safe monster as soon as possible, but overall didn't think it was too bad. I don't think I ever had a party wipe until like 3/4 of the way through when I fought a dragon that could one shot Cloud. Bizarro Sephiroth is a really weird and poorly explained battle, especially if you have leveled enough to require multiple parties (I got the 2 party battle), and Safer Sephiroth definitely made me feel like I got by on the skin of my teeth, but I never really found anything unfair or bullshit.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MZ posted:

Yes, it's fairly common for a lot of the bigger-budget games to come in at 20, 30, 40 or even 50GB. However it's very easy to replace the hard disk with a larger one, I bought a 2TB drive and haven't looked back.

is it like the ps3, laptop hdds? will probably go this route but i'm only getting exclusives on it or poo poo that doesn't run well enough on my pc.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vikar Jerome posted:

is it like the ps3, laptop hdds? will probably go this route but i'm only getting exclusives on it or poo poo that doesn't run well enough on my pc.
Yeah same size as PS3.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah, same as ps3. there is a guide on how to do it on playstation.com i believe. you can also use external drives for storing things on.
I also have the 500gb hd and was considering upgrading when my ps4 was new, but never got around to it. it's not really a problem though, i don't buy a lot of games and whenever i run out of space there's always some game i haven't touched in 6 months that i get rid of.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

that big 45 min RDR2 preview all the major outlets are reporting on today sounds insanely good. new screenshots show a ton of John Marston doing John Marston poo poo too, which is unexpected. kind of figured he’d be around in the prologue then out of the narrative pretty quickly but looks like he’s a major figure, even rocking his original outfit and hat. looks like there’s going to be some time progression too, since we see him with his scars fresh and stitched and also with them looking healed and how they do in the original

so hyped about this game aaa

Edit: gambling and poker confirmed back

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 3, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
GoW is really good, however it's not a 10. After playing BotW, any game that boxes you into paths can get somewhat annoying at times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m super wary of games that just let you wander around freely. I prefer carefully crafted stories so I think GOW has a very good balance of open world sections and story corridors. Great game. I just got the boat back to my house to get the blades

Hell yeah :kratos:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Call me a filthy casual but I prefer a directed experience like GoW over the open worldness of BotW. The latter absolutely deserved the praise it got and it's amazing but if I had to pick between the two I'd take GoW.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is there no way to customize the new media folder or do I have to look at Adam Sandler as I scroll past the WWE Network to get to what I want every time?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I liked GoW much more than BotW but yeah its not quite a 10, very good though

I'm sure RDR2 will be fun to play but they are kinda anti-hyping me by making a prequel about boring john marston and playing up story, rockstar arent very good at stories

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I very much prefer the GoW style wide linear approach rather than BOTW but I have pretty bad open world fatigue

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How long is HZD? Trying to figure out what to play next.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RDR had a pretty good over arching story, but it didn't gel well with the way missions played out. Lots of feet dragging to fill in content on a story that would be better told in a shorter span of time.
But whatever, the best parts of RDR was just riding around following treasure maps and doing cowboy stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LionArcher posted:

30ish

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

LionArcher posted:

I think I 100% everything in the main game right around the 40 hour mark. The dlc adds another good 10-12 hours. Main story alone is probably 30-ish hours?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Focused, linear narratives own.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Are most of HZD sidequests trash? I got extremely bored with them. I still haven't finished the game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Over There posted:

Are most of HZD sidequests trash? I got extremely bored with them. I still haven't finished the game

The big side missions are good. The little dumb ones tried to copy Witcher style quests but did it bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Over There posted:

They're all fun to me but it depends on how much you're into the game since they typically follow the same structure. The most fun questlines are those with funny or interesting NPCs. Nil at the bandit camps, Talanah in the hunter's lodge, Petra in Free Heap, and Vanasha in Sunfall are all cool peeps. There's also that random Banuk dude out in the middle of nowhere who has a really good questline. Acquired Taste is the name of his quest if you wanna look up where to find it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Over There posted:

Do we care about the PS+ games?

I'm finding King Odball fun. It's a physics puzzle type game similar to Angry Birds. My brain seems to crave one of these games every once in a while.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Over There posted:

I guess they can be hit or miss but some of them are decent. There's one where a guy keeps asking you to bring the "blood" of different machines and he proceeds to drink each one as you bring it to him and Aloy just kind of watches in disbelief as he gradually gets sicker and sicker from stupidly consuming battery acid or whatever. It's pretty hilarious.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

qbert posted:

I guess they can be hit or miss but some of them are decent. There's one where a guy keeps asking you to bring the "blood" of different machines and he proceeds to drink each one as you bring it to him and Aloy just kind of watches in disbelief as he gradually gets sicker and sicker from stupidly consuming battery acid or whatever. It's pretty hilarious.

Holy poo poo. I missed that one. Do you remember where it started at?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I thought hzd had pretty good sidequests.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

jabro posted:

It's off the road in a hut about halfway between Free Heap and the Corrupted Rockbreaker camp. Just look up "Acquired Taste" for exactly where to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

jabro posted:

https://www.supercheats.com/horizon-zero-dawn/walkthrough/acquired-taste

This link I googled has the map location at the top.