Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Philonius posted:

I don't take pity on fat cat 1% crafters :colbert:

I'll see people listing poo poo like boar leather and whatnot for 3K+ per unit so I undercut them and make it HQ to boot :devil:

Also I just cleared the final dungeon and duty of launch stormblood, I assume. Some very poor logic there, Zenos. Hey, you're the warrior of light, eikon slayer supreme. Just let me hop into the body of this primal to fight you, can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kitfox88 posted:

Also I just cleared the final dungeon and duty of launch stormblood, I assume. Some very poor logic there, Zenos. Hey, you're the warrior of light, eikon slayer supreme. Just let me hop into the body of this primal to fight you, can't go wrong.

Well, his logic at that point is pretty clearly ”I want a great fight where I might actually die” so it was probably the best course of action with that goal in mind.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yoshi P's nefarious plan to expose more ears to Cid's ARR English voice. This man must be stopped.

Joke's on him, as proper weeb I switched to Japanese audio after the jailbreak quests. Cid is bit silent but Gaius is pure :perfect:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

Joke's on him, as proper weeb I switched to Japanese audio after the jailbreak quests. Cid is bit silent but Gaius is pure :perfect:

This is the True Weeb way.
The side effect is that you are immediately forced to skip any cutscene where Tataru has voiced lines.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Well, his logic at that point is pretty clearly ”I want a great fight where I might actually die” so it was probably the best course of action with that goal in mind.

I'll concede that point. The real question now is, as a level 70 Samurai, why did i just leave behind that super sweet DOMAN STEEL he was using

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kitfox88 posted:

I'll concede that point. The real question now is, as a level 70 Samurai, why did i just leave behind that super sweet DOMAN STEEL he was using

Someone else won the roll.

GuyUpNorth posted:

If nothing else, Gaius was also Richard Epcar who is basically the only reason I was sad Gaius blew up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Someone else won the roll.

i bet alphinaud's behind this

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Brainamp posted:

If nothing else, Gaius was also Richard Epcar who is basically the only reason I was sad Gaius blew up.

Yes, and Hydaelyn was voiced by Mary McGlynn so it was bringing me back to watching Ghost in the Shell having Batou and Major around.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

i bet alphinaud's behind this
Won't be the last time, either.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ffs Alphinaud don't pay vendor price for NQ poo poo

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shere posted:

Yes, and Hydaelyn was voiced by Mary McGlynn so it was bringing me back to watching Ghost in the Shell having Batou and Major around.

I though Epcar was Illberd? Or did he also voice Gaius too?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I though Epcar was Illberd? Or did he also voice Gaius too?

He voiced both, which led briefly to crazy fan theories that Ilberd was Gaius out of his armor until his actual deal was revealed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ffs Alphinaud don't pay vendor price for NQ poo poo

How do you know Gosetsu's blade isn't HQ? :colbert:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was just in a dungeon with a summoner who didn't seem to do anything but stand around. Until i figured out his deal.
He only used instant cast spells.

Throw Bio2 on a mob, then just Ruin2 on repeat. Whenever swiftcast was up, he'd occasionally thro out a Miasma, too. Not if it wasn't instant tho.
Pet died? Well, too bad. guess the summoner will not actually resummon his pet unless his swiftcast is up and he doesn't have to use it on miasma.

He didn't even move around a lot. Just moved into position during pulls, then stood there.
Not a single non-instant cast for the entirety of the dungeon.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
... which dungeon was this, exactly?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Either Aurum Vale or Dzemael, they kinda blur together for me.

Sure, Ruin 1 and 2 don't really differ aside from mana cost at that level, but that doesn't excuse rarely using miasma or missing out on your pet for 3 fights in a row when you stand still 90% of the time anyways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Foxhound posted:

I bought the ARR skip potion once I had killed Ultima Weapon and checked how many quests were actually left before I could move on to HW. I used the book in the inn to read up on the last events that happened before you're whisked off to Ishgard and had no problems at all with following the story when it was revisited in late HW/SB.

That's fair. I'm actually a little curious after saying that how hard it would be for people to jump in to the story past Heavensward, since it has a lot more character development moments than 2.X does. I don't think it'd be impossible to read a synopsis of 2.X/3.X, jump straight into Stormblood, and still enjoy the story, but I can imagine someone who just read the synopsis not completely getting certain subtleties (like why Alphinaud's an overprotective doofus when it comes to Alisaie). Still, I got dropped into the Discworld series by reading the sixth or seventh book in the Watch series and managed to enjoy the book immensely, so it might not be impossible.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

HenryEx posted:

I was just in a dungeon with a summoner who didn't seem to do anything but stand around. Until i figured out his deal.
He only used instant cast spells.

don’t doxx me, this is how you’re supposed to play Summoner at level 70.

(this is only a moderate exaggeration, the 70 SMN rotation is extremely heavy on instant casts to the point of ignoring Ruin III outside of Dreadwyrm a lot of the time)

(note that I’m bad at SMN)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I just did 2.X and 90% of the MSQ was poo poo.

I hit 60 before unlocking HW.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
That's pretty much where I'm at. Level 56 and just getting into 2.X stuff. I'll probably be waaaaay overleveled for HW, but whatever.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Beefeater posted:

That's pretty much where I'm at. Level 56 and just getting into 2.X stuff. I'll probably be waaaaay overleveled for HW, but whatever.

I just switched to rdm when I started HW so I'd be at 50 again.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
That's a really good idea.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

don’t doxx me, this is how you’re supposed to play Summoner at level 70.

(this is only a moderate exaggeration, the 70 SMN rotation is extremely heavy on instant casts to the point of ignoring Ruin III outside of Dreadwyrm a lot of the time)

(note that I’m bad at SMN)

You only ever default to Ruin II in the Bahamut phase. Otherwise you want as many Ruin IIIs as possible with the bare minimum of Ruin IIs necessary to burn your Aetherflow stacks. If you're lucky you proc Ruin IV often enough that you can use your other oGCDs without a DPS loss.

A charitable guess is that the SMN we're talking about was used to the pre-SB days where Ruin II was objectively better than Ruin III and hadn't bothered to check their tooltips since 4.05 or 4.1 or wherever they changed that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, that dude was a sprout and still sub-60 if i remember right.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

P-Mack posted:

I just switched to rdm when I started HW so I'd be at 50 again.

That's my plan, only with samurai.

I ended up deciding to play black mage through ARR, because I figure it pays to have a ranged option on tap and it feels pretty similar to my arcane mage in WoW. The low level dungeon queue is not as bad as I feared.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's fair. I'm actually a little curious after saying that how hard it would be for people to jump in to the story past Heavensward, since it has a lot more character development moments than 2.X does. I don't think it'd be impossible to read a synopsis of 2.X/3.X, jump straight into Stormblood, and still enjoy the story, but I can imagine someone who just read the synopsis not completely getting certain subtleties (like why Alphinaud's an overprotective doofus when it comes to Alisaie). Still, I got dropped into the Discworld series by reading the sixth or seventh book in the Watch series and managed to enjoy the book immensely, so it might not be impossible.

The only thing I kinda wish I had actually known about was Alphinaud's B-team in Mor Dhona, it caught me off-guard when it was referenced. Aside from that the only Scions I actually find interesting at all is Urianger and Krile. For the rest you can kinda figure out what personality type they are after the first three times you see them and can subsequently predict for the rest of their appearances. Krile I like because of her outfit.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I just started the Astrologian quests and holy poo poo they make you work for your soulstone. I've never been that pressured as a WHM/CNJ in my whole 1-60.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I just started the Astrologian quests and holy poo poo they make you work for your soulstone. I've never been that pressured as a WHM/CNJ in my whole 1-60.

Also, the old man really looks out of place in the AST AF2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I cleared O4S and got the mount. :toot:

Just need O3S, O7S, and O8S now.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Almost thought that post was referring to me as I forgot for a while that my pet died in Stone Vigil on the first boss (it was late and I was tired) until I noticed I couldn't Rouse. Also I use Miasma, and I refresh my DoTs a little too much, so then I figured it wasn't.

I just hit 50 in the (really stupid and unnecessary) lead up to Garuda and switched to RDM anyways.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Just got back into the game about a week ago and decided to get my MNK up to snuff. Already got from 30-45 in just over a week with all the roulette/challenge log bonuses. That poo poo adds up!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vermain posted:

certain subtleties (like why Alphinaud's an overprotective doofus when it comes to Alisaie).

Why is that, again?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

Why is that, again?

Aside from being her brother (and her being near-grievously wounded by Fordola), Stormblood shows the more negative aspect of Alphinaud's character development from Heavensward: he's way more self-sacrificial and on the front lines, but he's also more unwilling to try and get help from others. He's trying to shoulder too much of the burden, which is why he effectively tells Alisaie (who's more than capable of handling herself) to stand back and let him take care of things, why he swan dives into the ocean ahead of everyone else, and why he bumbles into purchasing Gosetsu's katana for an outrageous sum instead of getting Tataru, Eorzea's best haggler, to help him. It's a different kind of arrogance from 2.X, but it's arrogance nonetheless.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Ah, from reading your previous post I thought you were referring to something that had happened to Alisaie pre-SB, which is why I was all confused. Makes sense to me, thanks.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Random thought. Are there any NPCs in Othard that reference the Calamity?

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

Random thought. Are there any NPCs in Othard that reference the Calamity?

I can't remember anyone specifically. Remember, the Calamity heavily damaged Aldenard (the continent that Eorzea is on), probably had some influence in Ilsabard (the continent that the Garlean Empire mostly controls) and from all accounts didn't really change much in Othard due to geographic distance. Aetherically it was a big deal since the entire planet shares the same Lifestream and aether, but the distance means most Othardian people probably weren't affected.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't remember any NPCs in Othard talking about the Calamity. There are also no giant masses of corrupted crystals over there so it likely never touched them directly (there aren't any in Ala Mhigo either so the destruction didn't get much past the Black Shroud). Bahamut was only active for a couple of minutes before he got Louisoix'd.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 5, 2018

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Gutting the post-ARR MSQs gets a massive thumbs up from me. The person with a level 56 bard and 54 Samurai who still hasn’t made it to HW quests.

I’ve actually not logged in for the last couple of days because they feel like filler and have very little reward other than “you’re getting closer to proper content again”. It’s very soul destroying.

*edit* if there was the ability for me to level other jobs on the 2.x content without having to go back and do levequests to level to 50, I would maybe be more interested.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pinball Jizzard posted:

*edit* if there was the ability for me to level other jobs on the 2.x content without having to go back and do levequests to level to 50, I would maybe be more interested.

If you want to do it completely solo maybe. But you've got roulettes, Dungeons, Palace of the Dead, and even PVP as options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

itskage posted:

If you want to do it completely solo maybe. But you've got roulettes, Dungeons, Palace of the Dead, and even PVP as options.
Also RDM.