Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Here's the million dollar question I've been wrestling with as I examine my chargers: qualcomm quick charge, usb-c-PD, or both?

Pixel is USB-PD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

While I understand the appeal of swappable batteries, when the phone is a couple years old and the battery is aging, it's only $80 to have ubreakifix (the Google Approved Repair Partner) to swap a new battery into a Pixel.

EDIT the pixel does infact support quick charging.

Good to know - thanks for the info.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's technically a violation of the USB-C PD spec for it to support Qualcomm's charging protocols as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I though there were backdoors for intelagencies everywhere though?

If you believe that then it's probably internally consistent to not worry about the marginal risk of yet another intelligence agency having access.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So my Axon 7 is having some weird battery issues, and I'm thinking the time to get a new a phone is coming closer and closer. I skimmed the past few pages but didn't see it, is there an official release date on the new Nokia phones?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

So my Axon 7 is having some weird battery issues, and I'm thinking the time to get a new a phone is coming closer and closer. I skimmed the past few pages but didn't see it, is there an official release date on the new Nokia phones?

May 6 for the US 6.1

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My essential phone finally updated to the newest style of Google now (or whatever that's branded now). No more swiping away stories and legit ads in the feed too? Ugh. Thoufht I had ditched that when my pixel died.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's how the app is and being unable to swipe away the stories sucks. Shouldn't be ads tho

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is there a way to completely reset the voice assistant stuff? A couple of updates ago it stopped unlocking my phone which makes it basically useless. I've gone through the app and tried deleting and retraining but so far it's made no difference.

I have an OG pixel XL if that makes a difference.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Horn posted:

Is there a way to completely reset the voice assistant stuff? A couple of updates ago it stopped unlocking my phone which makes it basically useless. I've gone through the app and tried deleting and retraining but so far it's made no difference.

Happened to me as well within the last couple of weeks and it is very bad and annoying, on moto g4 so it's not phone dependent. Have uninstalled/reinstalled app retrained voice model etc and nothing works

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr. Despair posted:

My essential phone finally updated to the newest style of Google now (or whatever that's branded now). No more swiping away stories and legit ads in the feed too? Ugh. Thoufht I had ditched that when my pixel died.

Shouldnt be any ads in there. Or, at least, I've never seen or heard of it before now.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Will I be able to use the Nokia 6.1 on project fi?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Will I be able to use the Nokia 6.1 on project fi?

Nope, it doesn't have the radios for Sprint so it won't work on the current implementation.

Also missing the radios for Verizon, and it looks like it might not have ideal band selection for AT&T or T-Mobile but at least it has enough to work in all the major markets on those carriers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Nope, it doesn't have the radios for Sprint so it won't work on the current implementation.

Also missing the radios for Verizon, and it looks like it might not have ideal band selection for AT&T or T-Mobile but at least it has enough to work in all the major markets on those carriers.

Nokia 6.1 4G LTE Bands: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38

AT&T 4G LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 30
Band 30 (2300 MHz WCS) is a fairly high frequency, phones probably don't use it much indoors. So missing this probably just hurts speed tests in outdoor areas, assuming they are even areas it is rolled out.

T-Mobile 4G LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71
Band 66 is an extension of the Band 4 frequencies, I assume it is fine to not have it as long as Band 4 is supported.
Band 71 (600 MHz) is T-Mobile's newest rollout, those low frequencies go farther and penetrate buildings better. More about T-Mobile's 600 MHz plans here: http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Shouldnt be any ads in there. Or, at least, I've never seen or heard of it before now.

Yeah, that was new but it was a "sign up for the Washington Post" thing, and there was a little green ad icon next to where it was WaPo, and it gave me the option to see why I was getting an ad. Don't remember seeing those on my pixel, should have grabbed a screenshot shot of it because it's gone now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To be fair, there are very few phones right now that support T-Mobile's 600mhz band, so not a lot of good choices on that front. It is a valid concern moving forward though if you are intending to keep a phone for awhile.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah band 71 is a "nice to have" if you're a T-Mobile subscriber, but any bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17 phone should be just fine for use in the USA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The lack of band 41 could actually come back and bite you on T-Mobile if this merger goes through though.

A lot is the inherent limitation in the SD630 though, it simply cannot handle as many total bands at once as the SD835 and SD845. So, this is likely going to be a continual sore spot for cheaper phones that aren't specifically tailored for the US market.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 3, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Horn posted:

It's a problem with Smart Lock. If you look in the settings for it, I bet you'll find it blank.

Some combo of these steps fixes it for me.

Go to the Trust Agents and untrust Smart Lock. Reboot. Smart Lock now should have settings, if it does, go back to Trust Agents and re-trust Smart Lock. Then go into Smart Lock and set it up again.

Try rebooting after various steps if it's not working.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Proof of concept code has been released that takes advantage of the rowhammer vulnerability on your phones GPU to execute arbitrary code with the permissions of your mobile browser...simply by visiting a web page and keeping it open for at least 2 minutes.

This means that visiting a web page that has this javascript on it will allow the page to access passwords, browser history, etc.

Of course, this is just proof-of-concept that works on just one phone (Nexus 5) from security researchers and it required lots of know-how to implement, and both Chrome and Firefox have, or will shortly have, released updates to mitigate the issue.

On the other hand, the security researchers say that Firefox hasn't really fixed the issue and I remain skeptical that a user-space fix is capable of fully addressing the problem in general.

Anyway, security updates are important!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Thermopyle posted:

Proof of concept code has been released that takes advantage of the rowhammer vulnerability on your phones GPU to execute arbitrary code with the permissions of your mobile browser...simply by visiting a web page and keeping it open for at least 2 minutes.

This means that visiting a web page that has this javascript on it will allow the page to access passwords, browser history, etc.

Of course, this is just proof-of-concept that works on just one phone (Nexus 5) from security researchers and it required lots of know-how to implement, and both Chrome and Firefox have, or will shortly have, released updates to mitigate the issue.

On the other hand, the security researchers say that Firefox hasn't really fixed the issue and I remain skeptical that a user-space fix is capable of fully addressing the problem in general.

Anyway, security updates are important!

JavaScript was a mistake. Also it works on more than just one phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rastor posted:

Nokia 6.1 4G LTE Bands: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38

AT&T 4G LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 30
Band 30 (2300 MHz WCS) is a fairly high frequency, phones probably don't use it much indoors. So missing this probably just hurts speed tests in outdoor areas, assuming they are even areas it is rolled out.

T-Mobile 4G LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71
Band 66 is an extension of the Band 4 frequencies, I assume it is fine to not have it as long as Band 4 is supported.
Band 71 (600 MHz) is T-Mobile's newest rollout, those low frequencies go farther and penetrate buildings better. More about T-Mobile's 600 MHz plans here: http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

Any idea what bands the Euro version has?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

JavaScript was a mistake.

Possibly, but this exploit isn't exposed because of JS.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Charles posted:

Any idea what bands the Euro version has?

LATAM & USA: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38
EMEA & APAC: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41
Hong Kong & Taiwan: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rastor posted:

Alright, so a Euro version wouldn't be useful with AT&T LTE.

I don't think they're going to release a 4GB version of the Nokia 6, are they? Should I go ahead and order the 3GB?

edit: Ordered from Bhphotovideo with 1 day shipping cause I'm impatient and really need a new phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2018

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

effika posted:

It's a problem with Smart Lock. If you look in the settings for it, I bet you'll find it blank.

Some combo of these steps fixes it for me.

Go to the Trust Agents and untrust Smart Lock. Reboot. Smart Lock now should have settings, if it does, go back to Trust Agents and re-trust Smart Lock. Then go into Smart Lock and set it up again.

Try rebooting after various steps if it's not working.

Holy poo poo thank you for this, untrusted rebooted and trusted again now it's working. Symptoms were exactly what you outlined as well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Remembered to take a screenshot this time:

Some real bullshit google

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ah, so that's why they hid the useful cards, need to make room for ads

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just realized maybe I haven't seen them before because I use an ad blocking VPN. That would block them if they were served from an ad domain rather than whatever domain serves the news cards...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I don't remember seeing them on my pixel when it got the newer non-swipeable design, but it's possible that it just died in whatever brief window there was between the new layout and the new ads getting pushed.

Or it's only being sent out to non-pixel phones, I should boot up the pixel and see if it's getting the same cards.

e.

Left is my essential phone, right is an og pixel. :thunk:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 3, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rastor posted:

It's like the loving Matrix in here. I feel so sorry for you North American goons. Come to the UK where everything is good and noble and you don't need think about your purchase :britain:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Man I'm about to just start reading the news stories in chrome and not bother with the Google feed. They're the same stories anyway and I can swipe them away in chrome

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't remember seeing them on my pixel when it got the newer non-swipeable design, but it's possible that it just died in whatever brief window there was between the new layout and the new ads getting pushed.

Or it's only being sent out to non-pixel phones, I should boot up the pixel and see if it's getting the same cards.

e.

Left is my essential phone, right is an og pixel. :thunk:

Yeah, I've got a Pixel and regularly browse that feed, never seen an ad and no ad blocking app or anything on my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

sourdough posted:

Yeah, I've got a Pixel and regularly browse that feed, never seen an ad and no ad blocking app or anything on my phone.

Same

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm truly very surprised that an ad company is serving ads. Just astonished, really.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

All I ask is that they're consistent about it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I was just walking to the store when my BT headphones started cutting out.

I think I was half a mile from here when Andre 5000 got all static

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My phone was on my chair

Pretty good range though

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tapping 'DELETE' on a notification that I took a screenshot just dismisses the notification but doesn't actually delete the screenshot. Googling comes up with nothing. I know if I contact support I'll just be told to factory restore the entire phone and be shipped a refurb (with the same problems or worse). Anyone run into similar issues or now how to help?

Smart unlock stopped working entirely ages ago and I just gave up on it, so I'm prepared to do that with this feature, too.

e: Pixel 2 XL

I gave in and did support chat via the phone itself. The support rep had me share my screen (was pretty cool actually) and helped me understand the issue kinda. Turns out tapping 'Delete' from the notification removes it from my device but it's already backed up to Google Photos which is why it shows up.

I also asked him about my Smart Unlock not working and he walked me through troubleshooting steps. After all was said and done, turns out having DND on was loving with location settings making it so my phone wouldn't "know" it was in the right spot. Sucks because I leave my phone on DND pretty much 100% of the time but having it off makes the thing work so screw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

All I ask is that they're consistent about it.

They are. If you didn't pay them for a phone, they subsidize that loss of revenue through advertising. If you did, they don't.