Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

2 days is pretty common recovery time for a heavy workout. I'd say it'll get better for you since you've just recently got back into goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Foam roll the poo poo out of your quads before and after playing. Move along until you get to a tender spot, hold it for a few seconds, flex/curl your leg a couple of times slowly, rotate to the right and left a few times slowly, and try to relax it as much as possible.

If you're anything like me, rolling your quads for the first time ever is a lesson in agony for a few weeks.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

z0331 posted:

Foam roll the poo poo out of your quads before and after playing. Move along until you get to a tender spot, hold it for a few seconds, flex/curl your leg a couple of times slowly, rotate to the right and left a few times slowly, and try to relax it as much as possible.

If you're anything like me, rolling your quads for the first time ever is a lesson in agony for a few weeks.

I used to do it regularly back then. I tried again recently and it was very unpleasant, but I know I have to be patient for it to be less uncomfortable. I have both a foam roller and a marathon bar, the latter for when I want to be stupid and forget to be gentle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like plain old DOMS to me, it gets better as your muscles acclimate to the work.

Do some lunges.

(do all the lunges)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Felt good to be back on the ice after being out 2 weeks with a groin injury. I got tired way faster than usual, though.

They had a big figure skating show at the rink last week, so every square inch of space in the entire sports complex is now covered in glitter.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I haven't skated since March 8th because of my broken hand and our summer league starts up towards the middle/end of this month. Its going to be a rude awakening when I hit the ice again mostly because I haven't been doing any cardio at all. We built a new team and we're going up a division so it will be faster and we'll likely have some kinks to work out.

I'm probably going to die but I'm also going to try to take it easy as to not re-injure my hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do some runs and a ton of lunges. It comes back pretty quick, just gotta remind your muscles who's boss.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

I haven't skated since March 8th because of my broken hand and our summer league starts up towards the middle/end of this month. Its going to be a rude awakening when I hit the ice again mostly because I haven't been doing any cardio at all. We built a new team and we're going up a division so it will be faster and we'll likely have some kinks to work out.

I'm probably going to die but I'm also going to try to take it easy as to not re-injure my hand.

Oh? What division?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Oh? What division?

We're aiming to be a div 4 winter team, A-C kind of depends on how summer goes.

Ran into my old captain last weekend at the bar and that didn't go so well. He was pretty pissed. At the end of this winter season the top 7 players from the team all decided to leave including the goalie (not including the three who ghosted us halfway through). I planned on quitting this season and playing for my other teams instead. I knew a few people were planning to leave as well. Then everyone started approaching me individually and unsolicited (knowing that I play on several teams) seeing if I knew if anyone needed skaters. After 6 players came to me, all of who I would love to play with again, I decided to form a new team instead and be in control of the issues that plagued the last team. We added people we've played with in the past and have built a really solid team full of people I will gladly hang out with. We focused on 2 things. 1 - players who aren't assholes and don't cause drama. 2 - players who belong in div 4. We want a team that doesn't fluctuate depending on who shows up and who doesn't.

Anyway, my captain accused me of breaking up his team and stealing all the best players. I didn't beat around the bush and told him exactly what happened, why I was leaving and that everyone left on their own. It hit him like a mack truck.

Poor leadership, no accountability for peoples actions/behaviors, teammate fights on the bench and in the locker room, the huge skill gap, the constant need to bring on ringers who don't belong in our league just to win, zero team chemistry, his focus on winning versus building a cohesive team, poor sportsmanship (he's told people to hurt opponents in past games), lack of temper control on the ice, overall goonery, and the biggest was advice going in one ear and out the other. We spent years trying to help and things have never really improved. Rather than trying to make a team fit what I wanted, I would rather leave and find a team (now build one) thats a better fit.

Holy gently caress, hockey drama novel.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Finally got tired enough of my skates rubbing against my toes to get them punched and whyyyy didn't I do that sooner? It's so much better now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
You got the toe caps punched? You can do that?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Duke Chin posted:

You got the toe caps punched? You can do that?

It's the inside of both big toes, right where the toe cap meets the rest of the skate. However they managed it, it worked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's the inside of both big toes, right where the toe cap meets the rest of the skate. However they managed it, it worked.

Based on what I saw when I was trying on skates a few months ago, this is a super common problem. That seam has a little bump that digs into my big toe, and all the big names have the problem.

On the skates I ended up with I don't feel it if I lace properly, which I've started using as to decide if the laces are tight enough or not. I've debated getting that spot punched but haven't been annoyed enough to do it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Played my first game in the top division (of noob league) tonight and scored a pretty decent goal through traffic. Heck yeah. It's not crazy fast or anything but it's a little more competitive and I like it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Based on what I saw when I was trying on skates a few months ago, this is a super common problem. That seam has a little bump that digs into my big toe, and all the big names have the problem.

Yeah mine did/do have that as well. It was getting pretty painful so I slapped some box tape over a chunk of high density foam i had laying around over that spot on both feet and it's worked for me for over 2 years now.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
lol, just got an email and I guess the rink just noticed that they're missing their "Stanley Keg" trophy and they think someone took it home after the playoffs last year and could they please bring it back?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Speaking of rosters from a few days ago, hows this for poo poo, on top of a 16 player roster. One of the main reasons I quit this team.

46 players on the Stat list for the team this season.

D C fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Those read like sport video game rosters before the era of official licensing.

Rob Venables :lol:

Oh, I hope that's not you. :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

D C posted:

Speaking of rosters from a few days ago, hows this for poo poo, on top of a 16 player roster. One of the main reasons I quit this team.

Some of my other teams were like this. Technically we only ever had 15 full time skaters on the roster but once someone was put onto the roster as a sub they never were taken off due to how our system was so they would just carry over year after year.

Still though, captains need to keep poo poo current and clean that stuff out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

What app is that?

We use Hockey Clubhouse, which works, but setting up a season's schedule takes multiple hours due to their poo poo web UI.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What app is that?

We use Hockey Clubhouse, which works, but setting up a season's schedule takes multiple hours due to their poo poo web UI.

BenchApp, it's annoying but the guy who runs the team has a relationship with one of the devs, now all 3 of the teams I play on use it.

The team manager leaves all those names on the list, and every game if theres an open roster spot it mass emails everyone and it's first come first serve to fill the spare spots.

It takes away too much ice time from the better players, I love 9-10 skater games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We're stuck with the ASHL website and it's the worst loving thing.

I mean, we all bitch about league commissioners and their management of teams and game schedules. Now imagine one of them actually had some skill with php and javascript and actually generated a website with some actual payment handling and roster organization.

Yeah, it ain't pretty.

They have like 4 different domains you go through before you can do anything and at least once a year someone forgets to renew a cert and suddenly no one can do anything. It takes at least four weeks for the site to update to the new season, before that it keeps showing you the schedule for the last season on log in.

:fuckoff:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

We're stuck with the ASHL website and it's the worst loving thing.

I mean, we all bitch about league commissioners and their management of teams and game schedules. Now imagine one of them actually had some skill with php and javascript and actually generated a website with some actual payment handling and roster organization.

I think Rosterbot was my favorite of the 3 or so my teams have used over the last few years. Super simple, easily imported to the apple calendar and stuff.

BenchApp tries to do way too much, and blows if you have more then one team at once since it takes forever to switch from team to team to check in and out of games. It really should be a home page showing a chronological list of all teams games and a one press check in or out from that page. Anything else should be deeper, like team chat or lineups and that sort of thing.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
This game makes no drat sense sometimes. Like my stats for two goaltending games last night:

Game 1, Officially 36/42 (16/13/13 shots by period) in a 6-2 loss

Game 2, Officially 20/24 (5/11/8) in a 4-2 loss

Of course the first game is better by save percentage, but that's just indicative of me getting the unholy gently caress shelled out of me. I played like absolute trash. I had no lateral movement and the whole thing just blew.

Second game, I don't think those shot totals are right because I saw probably ten more coming my way in that game. Statistically worse aside from goals allowed, but I was moving laterally like it was nothing and stopping high quality scoring chances. The opposing goalie was even asking me how the hell I was moving laterally so well after the game.

So the bad game looks pretty good on paper, and the good game looks kinda crappy on paper. This game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least you get stats. Either I'm not actually playing hockey or am invisible to the scorekeeper because I should at least have a big fat minus in the goals against column, but nah it's all zeroes.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I don’t think our score keepers even try to track that.

Did you enjoy your late night game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was a really good game, though after last week's shitshow anything would be an improvement. Ended with a 4-4 tie which is good hockey. A win would be better but a tie ain't something I'll cry about.

Got a nasty bruise from a block and five hours of sleep, gently caress yeah 11pm puck drops.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Got two more goals today in Rat Hockey. What would've been my hat trick bounced off the inside of the post. Fortunately, the rebound went right to my teammate who buried the easy goal. Also I'm going to blatantly ignore the fact that my atrocious defense probably cost our team more than the 2 goals I scored.

Bad news is even after taking 3 weeks off, my groin still feels tight when I play. :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we lost to the team loaded with ex pros and kids that just got done with college by one in our championship game. we usually lose to them by like 5

i swear the last half of the game was like full speed no poo poo actual full contact competitive hockey and it was both exhilarating and unbelievably exhausting

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Got two more goals today in Rat Hockey. What would've been my hat trick bounced off the inside of the post. Fortunately, the rebound went right to my teammate who buried the easy goal. Also I'm going to blatantly ignore the fact that my atrocious defense probably cost our team more than the 2 goals I scored.

Bad news is even after taking 3 weeks off, my groin still feels tight when I play. :(

I would suggest a PT/doctor/sports doctor if you haven't already. 3 weeks isn't a whole lot of time for recovery and even if it does start to feel better, its likely still several weeks away from being fully healed and you're running an increased risk of injuring it all over again.

I'm on 3+ months off hockey due to my broken hand (which wasn't really that bad) and I'm nervous about the start of our summer season in the next few weeks. My hand feels fine in most day to day circumstances but I know its not fully healed yet as certain things still hurt like handshakes, anything requiring significant rotational torque, and making a really tight fist. I think we might still be a week or two out from the season start but I don't want to push it and cause another 2-3 months of recovery.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The worst part about playing like garbage for a game in my league is I have to wait a week to play again. Legs were absolutely dead and I never felt steady. First goal against was basically entirely my fault for letting the forward walk right around me.

I'm getting a shooting pad/net and am really excited to be able to just shoot pucks outside in the lawn - the benefits of moving to the suburbs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Playing once a week is the worst, you have a whole week to replay your gently caress ups in your head rather than moving on to new gently caress ups and possibly even doing something good to replay in your head instead.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll second the go see a doctor sentiment. I thought my groin poo poo the bed a few years ago. I was super stiff, my flexibility went to hell and seemed like no matter how much time I took off I couldn't heal. I got some xrays done and it turned out I had "severe, advanced" hip arthritis in both hip joints. I was 30 at the time of that diagnosis. PT kept me going for a few years and cortisone injections combined with PT have kept me going the last couple years. I'm about to turn 35 and cortisone plus PT are my only hopes to making it to 50 before total hip replacement and I only wish I had known sooner so I could start preventative measures to keep some flexibility. I've actually gained some range of motion back, which my physical therapist says is highly unusual, but I just imagine how much better my quality of life (and more importantly my quality of skating ability) would be if I had known sooner.

I'm not saying that is what is happening to you, just saying what you don't know could be hurting you more than you know. Better to go to a doc and have him say, oh just a groin strain, stay off the ice for 6 to 8 weeks than do nothing and find out you're hosed one day when you could have been proactive about it the whole time you were ignoring it and hoping you'd just get better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

we lost to the team loaded with ex pros and kids that just got done with college by one in our championship game. we usually lose to them by like 5

i swear the last half of the game was like full speed no poo poo actual full contact competitive hockey and it was both exhilarating and unbelievably exhausting

Glad to hear your rehab is going well

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Finally got my shoulder MRI done and evaluated and no surgery. Just bad bursitis. Get a cortisone shot today which is gonna hurt like a mother fucker.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

z0331 posted:

I'm getting a shooting pad/net and am really excited to be able to just shoot pucks outside in the lawn - the benefits of moving to the suburbs.

Scheduled to arrive today and I am unreasonably excited to get home from work.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Glad to hear your rehab is going well

IT STARTS TODAY, THANKS

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bigbillystyle posted:

I'll second the go see a doctor sentiment. I thought my groin poo poo the bed a few years ago. I was super stiff, my flexibility went to hell and seemed like no matter how much time I took off I couldn't heal. I got some xrays done and it turned out I had "severe, advanced" hip arthritis in both hip joints. I was 30 at the time of that diagnosis. PT kept me going for a few years and cortisone injections combined with PT have kept me going the last couple years. I'm about to turn 35 and cortisone plus PT are my only hopes to making it to 50 before total hip replacement and I only wish I had known sooner so I could start preventative measures to keep some flexibility. I've actually gained some range of motion back, which my physical therapist says is highly unusual, but I just imagine how much better my quality of life (and more importantly my quality of skating ability) would be if I had known sooner.

I'm not saying that is what is happening to you, just saying what you don't know could be hurting you more than you know. Better to go to a doc and have him say, oh just a groin strain, stay off the ice for 6 to 8 weeks than do nothing and find out you're hosed one day when you could have been proactive about it the whole time you were ignoring it and hoping you'd just get better.

I do feel much better today. The last time I tweaked my groin, it hurt like hell the next day. Today I'm not getting any of that. It doesn't feel sore, it just felt tight yesterday. If it's still tight after another week, I'll make an appointment with a sports doctor. There's one who works in the same office as my primary care physician, so it'll be easy to go see him if necessary.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

lol, just got an email and I guess the rink just noticed that they're missing their "Stanley Keg" trophy and they think someone took it home after the playoffs last year and could they please bring it back?
lol
https://twitter.com/CooterWrites/status/993848093723512832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It amuses me how a hand sized chunk of my abdomen is a giant ugly bruise and right in the middle of it is a clear spot exactly the shape and size of a puck.

This makes no sense to me, one would think the bruise would be where I got hit.