Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thane looks really, really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

It's literally a GW edition change. You need a new core rulebook (starter/dmg cards) and faction book (upgrade packs). Some ships will be buffed, some will suck. How is it any different? :psyduck:

I get wanting to say "it could've been worse" but let's not defend entities run by private equity firms here.

It's not so much as 'defending entities run by private equity firms" (whatever, dude), and more 'not being a whiny bitch."

Seriously, Video game consoles have done this poo poo for years, and no one bats an eye at dropping over $600 for electronics that will be outdated in like 4 years. This is under $200 to keep using the poo poo you have if you care about 2.0.

If FFG announcd a bunch of new ships, some of which might 'fix' previous ships, and some of which would buff previous ships, and buying those costs $150-$200, no one would screaming foul.

By the way, was able to pre-order the new core, all 3 kits, the Saw and Reaper expansion, and it was just under $200. Considering that will probably be the only x-wing stuff to come out this year, that ain't bad.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 3, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

Thane looks really, really annoying.

Yeah, seems really swell, especially on ships with a lot of hull and damage cards or situationally on a ship that you already know is hiding a nasty crit. Like the new direct hit, a free damage!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh man he could flip that one direct on every attack. That's gross.

Thane is gonna be a murder machine!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man he could flip that one direct on every attack. That's gross.

Thane is gonna be a murder machine!

If someone is sitting on a direct hit, Thane becomes essentially a better first edition Wampa. Cancel a crit, hit or focus result to deal another facedown damage, and you still have a chance to hit with the rest of your roll :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does anyone have a rough idea when Saw's Rebels might be out? I wasn't even paying attention to how long ago the last wave was.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

It's literally a GW edition change. You need a new core rulebook (starter/dmg cards) and faction book (upgrade packs). Some ships will be buffed, some will suck. How is it any different? :psyduck:

I get wanting to say "it could've been worse" but let's not defend entities run by private equity firms here.

We aren't talking healthcare, or utilities. It is a hobby, a game with plastic toys. They owe you nothing. If you don't like the changes, don't pay to upgrade.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

Did you miss the part where small ships are now $20? It's the same stealth cost increase GW does

bruh this is because of Asmodee raising MSRP on everything (over and over), not because of 2.0.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chill la Chill posted:

Did you miss the part where small ships are now $20? It's the same stealth cost increase GW does

lmao who cares, did you miss the part where they'll be selling cardboard only packs for re-released 1.0 ships?

I have so many plastic spaceships I won't need to buy a full expansion pack for a long time.

Do you also get caremad when you go ice cream shopping and realize that a half-gallon of ice cream isn't a half gallon anymore and they still charge twice as much?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I expect things to never go up in price, ever.

It's why everything is so cheap nowadays.

<chokes on FFG's dick glug glug>

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Admiral Joeslop posted:

GW would outright get rid of existing models, change boxes to be more expensive while containing less product as they increased the amount you needed for a unit, and they sure as hell didn't offer a $50 kit that brings the majority of a faction up to speed. At least two Fantasy armies were never updated to 8th edition, and several others had to wait years before their update. Then of course they threw the whole thing out entirely.

Sure, if you want to reduce everything to (core book) and (faction book) updates, then yes they're exactly the same.
Did GW come to your house and steal your old toys? I'm asking because I've got poo poo lying around since the late 90's that's never even been assembled and if someone would get rid of it for me that'd be nice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Show us on the Stormcast Eternal where GW hurt you.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

:rip: Jansen :(

E: Unless he's in the conversion pack.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 3, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ro5s posted:

As far as I know, everything should be in the packs. I could see them skipping the Epic ship pilots but it would be surprising.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I really doubt that all like 11 X-Wing pilots make it into 2.0.

The conversion kits include everything you need to use your old ships in 2.0. They don't say jack poo poo about porting all (or even most) pilots.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So that card that just shows pilots with some basic loadouts -- is that some kind of reference card or is it relevant?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TremorX posted:

So that card that just shows pilots with some basic loadouts -- is that some kind of reference card or is it relevant?

Those are for the quick build thing, basically to give you ideas about how to build a pilot and also something to look at for casual play. FFG hinted at quick build tournament formats as well.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ro5s posted:

He'll probably be in the new core along with Luke.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Ah, okay, that's cool! One of the challenges I had when I started was figuring out what upgrades to use with which pilots/ships, so this will definitely be a good thing for new players.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

hoiyes posted:

He'll probably be in the new core along with Luke.

I think that's going to be Porkins, since he's not in that expansion, but definitely exists.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Strobe posted:

The conversion kits include everything you need to use your old ships in 2.0. They don't say jack poo poo about porting all (or even most) pilots.

Then where the heck is Jek Porkins? He's in the TC demo game.

Wes is probably included with him in 2.0 core I'm guessing. Edit: same wiith everyone else it seems.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Is that 11 including Saw's Renegades? They will be in that box.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Listen, when are we getting the Ewok pilot, or Erisi Dlarrit?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ringo Star Get posted:

Listen, when are we getting the Ewok pilot, or Erisi Dlarrit?

I think you mean Lt. Kettch, yub yub!

Also, if we're doing Erisi, we need Bror Jace, Gavin Darklighter and the rest of Rogue Squadron.

And then Wraith Squadron.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a spring kit tournament on Sunday here and I am genuinely considering mashing together a lovely Starviper, Kihraxz and M3-A list just to fly ships that I bought for cards or to own the figure. I don't even own Most Wanted or Guns for Hire :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is that 11 including Saw's Renegades? They will be in that box.

Rookie Pilot
Tarn Mison
Red Squadron Pilot
Biggs Darklighter
"Hobbie" Klivian
Garvin Dreis
Jek Porkins
Wes Jansen
Luke Skywalker
Wedge Antilles

Okay, so I was off by one. Ten pilots.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a spring kit tournament on Sunday here and I am genuinely considering mashing together a lovely Starviper, Kihraxz and M3-A list just to fly ships that I bought for cards or to own the figure. I don't even own Most Wanted or Guns for Hire :v:

Guns for Hire lets you make a an actual Tier 2 list from that group. Something like Thweek, Talonbane, Serissu wouldn't be awful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

GW would outright get rid of existing models, change boxes to be more expensive while containing less product as they increased the amount you needed for a unit, and they sure as hell didn't offer a $50 kit that brings the majority of a faction up to speed. At least two Fantasy armies were never updated to 8th edition, and several others had to wait years before their update. Then of course they threw the whole thing out entirely.

Sure, if you want to reduce everything to (core book) and (faction book) updates, then yes they're exactly the same.

Counterpoint: 8th edition required a new codex for my Guard and that was it. I'm going to have to spend way more money to keep using my X-Wing models comparatively, as a direct result of FFG's business model (printing rules on upgrade cards that can't easily be changed over GW's codex model)

Like seriously guys, I know you're all excited for the new edition and all but I think you're letting some of the changes blind you to the significant costs that it's going to incur, and outright making GBS threads on people who aren't as excited to or as able to spend money as you are is a bad look.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like seriously guys, I know you're all excited for the new edition and all but I think you're letting some of the changes blind you to the significant costs that it's going to incur, and outright making GBS threads on people who aren't as excited to or as able to spend money as you are is a bad look.

That isn't what's happening so we're fine.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I'm really interested in how they're going to do the "faction differences" they tout in the announcement.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: 8th edition required a new codex for my Guard and that was it. I'm going to have to spend way more money to keep using my X-Wing models comparatively, as a direct result of FFG's business model (printing rules on upgrade cards that can't easily be changed over GW's codex model)

It's cool that worked out for you, but I'd have needed to buy tons of poo poo to make my DA force legal and effective in 8th, so. Not everyone had your experience there.

The cost of entry for 2.0 is about as low as it could possibly be, and unless you have a serious need to run 4x of single ships, you should be fine with one conversion per faction. I had one of everything up until about a year and a half ago, and I'll be glad to only buy the things I want to soon. That alone will save me way more than 2.0 will cost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Wapole Languray posted:

I'm really interested in how they're going to do the "faction differences" they tout in the announcement.

I'm hoping that it means that Rebel pilots are relatively individually durable, and include ways to mutually support each other; and where Imperial pilots are relatively fragile and cheap, and are rewarded for setting up situations in which multiple ships in close proximity to each other taking similar actions are rewarded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like seriously, 2.0 launch and future is going to be significantly cheaper for anyone that isn't a completionist whore. A lot of people spent more each wave than 2.0 is going to cost them. Did it bother you that people spent more to have full sets of every faction and duplicates of each ship in 1.0?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That isn't what's happening so we're fine.

You people were literally making fun of a guy who was saying he couldn't afford to keep playing like a page ago.

The Gate posted:

It's cool that worked out for you, but I'd have needed to buy tons of poo poo to make my DA force legal and effective in 8th, so. Not everyone had your experience there.

The cost of entry for 2.0 is about as low as it could possibly be, and unless you have a serious need to run 4x of single ships, you should be fine with one conversion per faction. I had one of everything up until about a year and a half ago, and I'll be glad to only buy the things I want to soon. That alone will save me way more than 2.0 will cost.

And I understand that. I'm just looking at it as an unfortunate necessity instead of 'WOO LET'S ALL GET HYPED TO SPEND A TON OF CASH' (also I do run 4 Y-Wings a lot and want to be able to use my multitudes of A-Wings and B-Wings so I do happen to be in that particular boat).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You people were literally making fun of a guy who was saying he couldn't afford to keep playing like a page ago.

And I understand that. I'm just looking at it as an unfortunate necessity instead of 'WOO LET'S ALL GET HYPED TO SPEND A TON OF CASH' (also I do run 4 Y-Wings a lot and want to be able to use my multitudes of A-Wings and B-Wings so I do happen to be in that particular boat).

No one is saying that, everyone here is saying "WOO LET'S ALL GET HYPED BECAUSE 2.0 LOOKS AMAZING AND THEY'RE ROLLING IT OUT IN A VERY EASY AND AFFORDABLE MANNER AS OPPOSED TO WIPING 1.0 OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH LIKE PREVIOUS GAMES"

And maybe you should be more creative with your lists

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Could you point that out to me?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is it weird that I'm thinking of trying to find a Rebel Aces box for the alt paint job ships? Since they already said they won't make them in 2.0 and A-Wings might not suck, I kinda want them now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Guns for Hire lets you make a an actual Tier 2 list from that group. Something like Thweek, Talonbane, Serissu wouldn't be awful.
Yeah. I was sure I had picked it up when I was getting the newer Scum ships but somehow... didn't. I'll probably be boring and roll with a rebel pancake plus wingman as usual in the end.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Could you point that out to me?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:allears: Please, tell us more of the evils of GW and how it's even remotely similar to this.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

ClC you used to be a cool poster, don't be like this. Yes, expansions went up. You don't need to buy two expansions to fill the same amount of points as the previous edition.

If you don't like it that's fine, don't go accusing posters of sucking the FFG dick like GW whales did.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah. I was sure I had picked it up when I was getting the newer Scum ships but somehow... didn't. I'll probably be boring and roll with a rebel pancake plus wingman as usual in the end.

Alright, so none of that involves making fun of someone for not being able to afford to play the game. You're being disingenuous and no one cares about this argument, so let's just give it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Having played 600+ games of first edition, and about a half dozen of 2nd, I am so psyched. 2nd does literally every thing I had day dreamed about to fix the game. I am obviously biased, I'll admit, but I know I'm dusting off my minis! A lot of the X-wing old guard here in the Twin Cities share my sentiments.