Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

helan går

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

オッス

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
english is clearly the only language worth knowing

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

english is clearly the only language worth knowing

what’s the most communist language

i like the lack of grammatical gender in english but there’s plenty of languages that also don’t have a grammatical gender

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

stone cold posted:

what’s the most communist language

i like the lack of grammatical gender in english but there’s plenty of languages that also don’t have a grammatical gender

Finnish doesn't have grammatical gender AND it doesn't have gendered pronouns. Get learning.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nurge posted:

Finnish doesn't have grammatical gender AND it doesn't have gendered pronouns. Get learning.

Also everyone is referred to as it except for babies, athletes, dogs, cats, husbands, and other simpletons.

e: Oh and God.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
turkish doesn't have gendered pronouns either, and it doesn't sound like elvish bull poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so i got offered a restoration ecologist position, now to crunch the numbers and see if i can actually afford to food and shelter if i take the position

sudo rm -rf posted:

what's this now

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-fo-dr-macro-lager-beer-20180203-htmlstory.html

i'm ambivalent on the trend, especially since la is a large enough market that you're going to find niche beers for whatever you preference maybe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's funny that if i do make this career change i'll go from randler's sworn enemy to avs sworn enemy

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Chinese has gendered pronouns ー but they're only distinguishable in text. All three (male, female, neuter) sound exactly the same when spoken

Also it has no conjugation and no grammatical gender otherwise

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Chinese has gendered pronouns ー but they're only distinguishable in text. All three (male, female, neuter) sound exactly the same when spoken

What you mean to say is Chinese doesn't have gendered pronouns but written Chinese does.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jerry Cotton posted:

What you mean to say is Chinese doesn't have gendered pronouns but written Chinese does.

The 語/文 distinction or whatever you want to call that phenomenon is difficult to make clear in English

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

The 語/文 distinction or whatever you want to call that phenomenon is difficult to make clear in English

verbal/written? spoken/written?

also:

Tarezax posted:

Also it has no conjugation and no grammatical gender otherwise

bit unfair to say chinese when you’re talkin mandarin isn’t it

canto he she and it is the same pronunciation and same character (佢) and you just add a particle to make it they (佢哋)

so in that regard canto has a leg up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It would be better to ask someone else who’s studied in a more academic setting (I think you’ve studied it more formally than I have anyway) but there are times when there’s more of, like, a distinction between the written form of and the various spoken forms than there is with English, right? I would hypothesize that this is because characters are less mutable than words formed from letters (so different Chinese languages might still share the written form) but I’m not a linguist so I’m not sure what the canonical answer is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pirate Radar posted:

It would be better to ask someone else who’s studied in a more academic setting (I think you’ve studied it more formally than I have anyway) but there are times when there’s more of, like, a distinction between the written form of and the various spoken forms than there is with English, right? I would hypothesize that this is because characters are less mutable than words formed from letters (so different Chinese languages might still share the written form) but I’m not a linguist so I’m not sure what the canonical answer is.

you don't think there's a lot of different between how, say, half the place names in england are versus how they're said versus how they're said in the other countries where colonists copied the names but not the modern british pronunciation?

also probably a useful comparison between "standard arabic" written forms and how arabic gets spoken.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

you don't think there's a lot of different between how, say, half the place names in england are versus how they're said versus how they're said in the other countries where colonists copied the names but not the modern british pronunciation?

also probably a useful comparison between "standard arabic" written forms and how arabic gets spoken.

The comparison with English is difficult because British vs. American English (or Canadian, SA, Aus, etc) are mutually intelligible while the different Chinese languages that largely share a written form are not. I know nothing about Arabic so I can’t speak to that comparison.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
squadala

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

merde

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's funny that if i do make this career change i'll go from randler's sworn enemy to avs sworn enemy

As long as there is anime you will always have a special place in my spreadsheets.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why would i be angry at you for returning to the restoration ecology flock

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
all my life i've looked at vanya and i've thought, you are so tiny. how can something so tiny have a soul. but there is undeniably a soul in vanya. and then i look at the quails, which also have clear and present undeniable souls even though they're very simple, and they're so much tinier even than vanya and it blows my mind. how tiny can a soul get? what is the minimum dimension of a soul? could a microscopic organism have a soul?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this broken hill posted:

why would i be angry at you for returning to the restoration ecology flock

i'll probably be the guy following an arbitrary plan to hit percent plant cover metrics come hell or high water because that's how we get paid

but probably with more actual success since california seems to have stricter planning requirements then your neck of the woods

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'll probably be the guy following an arbitrary plan to hit percent plant cover metrics come hell or high water because that's how we get paid
that is fine as long as you go dense. the smaller the remnant, the more layers it should have

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i hope you get this job, tbh it will probably do wonders for your mental health

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

this broken hill posted:

all my life i've looked at vanya and i've thought, you are so tiny. how can something so tiny have a soul. but there is undeniably a soul in vanya. and then i look at the quails, which also have clear and present undeniable souls even though they're very simple, and they're so much tinier even than vanya and it blows my mind. how tiny can a soul get? what is the minimum dimension of a soul? could a microscopic organism have a soul?

We are all one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

stone cold posted:

verbal/written? spoken/written?

also:

bit unfair to say chinese when you’re talkin mandarin isn’t it

canto he she and it is the same pronunciation and same character (佢) and you just add a particle to make it they (佢哋)

so in that regard canto has a leg up

True, I don't know any canto, but it seems like the pronoun behavior is pretty much the same in the spoken form

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this broken hill posted:

my friend, let me whisper to you of monads

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

V. Illych L. posted:

i love it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

turkish doesn't have gendered pronouns either, and it doesn't sound like elvish bull poo poo

turkish sounds like a rooster gagging on a pea otoh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To me, turkish sounds like turkish; am I weird?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

yea also to be fair I guess I’m thinking more of like 話 v 文 than 語 v 文

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Turkish to me sounds like nationalism but that's just because the first two Turkish guys I knew well-ish were guys on my soccer team who were crazy nationalists.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pangstrom posted:

Turkish to me sounds like nationalism but that's just because the first two Turkish guys I knew well-ish were guys on my soccer team who were crazy nationalists.

The last century of Turkish history is probably a factor too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

V. Illych L. posted:

are those like midichlorians?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
accepted the job. i'll be able to make ends meet, but i'll have to stop making any significant contributions to my retirement savings. i'm also moving off to the boonies, but at least it's still in southern california and not the accursed central and northern hinterlands

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
GOJM before you lose all your management black art knowledge: how do you tell someone they smell bad and need to bathe more. Do I just have to say it. Please no.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
tell them that they're in a professional environment and you expect them to maintain proper grooming and hygiene standards. if they're client facing make sure to really tear into them, the dirty gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pangstrom posted:

GOJM before you lose all your management black art knowledge: how do you tell someone they smell bad and need to bathe more. Do I just have to say it. Please no.

tell it straight faced. then tell your hr/legal to modify contract so that it includes expectations of proper hygiene (this btw is perfectly mundane item in latvian employment contracts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
quails don't have souls

also with gojm fallen to the dark side am i the only mid level management left in this accursed thread

• Locked thread