Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

God I wish I didn't miss this. I'm at like 40-1 and the 1 loss was a gimmick lance designed specifically to counter me by a friend and it was still razor close and more on me.

Dang, sucks you missed the chance to be super good in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Eej posted:

Is it possible to mod in an AC20 that shoots a stream of 10 AC2 rounds

extremely easy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

someone posted this on reddit. 210 punch damage, v. nice.

Good lord. That's got to be more damage than a DFA.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ravenfood posted:

Good lord. That's got to be more damage than a DFA.

it is 30 less, I think, but comes with the advantage of not ruining your legs

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I juuuuust started playing this. Are any of the talent choices/trees trap options? With only 3 per pilot and no respecs, I don't want to get stuck with terrible choices.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

:perfect:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You’re never stuck. Bad pilots die. Then get new ones!

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khizan posted:

I juuuuust started playing this. Are any of the talent choices/trees trap options? With only 3 per pilot and no respecs, I don't want to get stuck with terrible choices.

the guts 2 talent is the only really bad one, although it is ok early/mid game. you probably don't want more than 1-2 pilots with the piloting 1+2 skills.

most everyone should have bulwark, and either gunnery 2 / tactics 2 (i find a mix to be good, others prefer one over the other)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Is there ever a point where you're not just skating by on funds? And how do I get whatshisface to stop telling me we're low on funds?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pattonesque posted:

OnePunchShee

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nasgate posted:

Is there ever a point where you're not just skating by on funds? And how do I get whatshisface to stop telling me we're low on funds?

Change these lines from numbers to 0 should do it.
"NotifLowFundsQtrRemainThreshold": 2,
"NotifDangerLowFundsQtrRemainThreshold": 1,

You shouldn't really have much of a money problem unless you're just tooling around doing salvage heavy contracts before getting the Argo at all. Story missions pay a ton, and usually 2-3 max money missions will give you a quite large buffer.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I want to do the same but with a Grasshopper

Side note, I haven't seen a single Banshee all campaign. I'm sure that will change soon enough

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Nasgate posted:

Max out your payments instead of salvage and watch yourself cry when you headshot that heavy or assault you wanted and can't 3/3 salvage it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tarezax posted:

I want to do the same but with a Grasshopper

Side note, I haven't seen a single Banshee all campaign. I'm sure that will change soon enough

you see a shitload of them after a while

I saw exactly zero Victors until the postgame, weirdly enough

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

And yet i can't help but think what if they did this to a grasshopper instead.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

main missions pay a shitload, especially at the start of the game
and if you NEED money you need money. you never NEED salvage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khizan posted:

The only skill almost everyone agrees with is not good is Guts #8, Juggernaut. Punching somebody pushes back them back into a lower initiative phase, but it is explicitly not allowed to push things lower than 1... The assault mech phase.

So it's a big investment for the only skill with no apparent application when fighting enemy assault mechs, because you can't reduce something's initiative below 1 :v:

That said, has anyone that's taken Juggernaut tried it on assaults? Does it bump them down the list of who goes next within a phase at least?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Never scrap mechs, only sell them to planets as they scrap out for less.

This is kinda bullshit in the tyranny of clicks/UI flow way but its easy to change the sell and scrap ratios both.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Section Z posted:

The only skill almost everyone agrees with is not good is Guts #8, Juggernaut. Punching somebody pushes back them back into a lower initiative phase, but it is explicitly not allowed to push things lower than 1... The assault mech phase.

So it's a big investment for the only skill with no apparent application when fighting enemy assault mechs, because you can't reduce something's initiative below 1 :v:

That said, has anyone that's taken Juggernaut tried it on assaults? Does it bump them down the list of who goes next within a phase at least?

I've used Juggernaut on assaults and I don't think it does anything. Who goes when within a given phase is a choice and while it's hard to tell, I don't think Juggernaut tells the AI "Don't activate this guy". The closest I could get to a real test was using it on a downed mech, since the AI will always activate knocked down guys first. Didn't change anything.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 4, 2018

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I did some of the modding to the file that affects the time delay between actions, and now all my actions have like a 10 second delay at the end.

Anyone know what/where the variable I have to change is?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
there's a couple of fields in combatgameconstants.json which might be interesting to think about in terms of sensor lock buffs:

"SensorLockCountersGuarded": false,
"SensorLockCountersEvasive": false,

trading one pilot's attack round to remove guarded from someone? could be worth it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd like to speed up the animation on ac rounds a smidge and speed up PPC and gauss projectiles by like 2x or 3x.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

virgin for Jesus posted:

I did some of the modding to the file that affects the time delay between actions, and now all my actions have like a 10 second delay at the end.

Anyone know what/where the variable I have to change is?

Probably

"AttackAfterFireDelay" : 0,
"AttackAfterFireDuration" : 0,

one of those two in audioConstants, I would think.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Exposure posted:

Been digging through the script files now that I got more of a handle on how C# works and the harmony modloader becoming more of a thing, would there be any interest in a mod that would allow injured pilots to still be selected for missions?

Actually I guess you could take this as a general "willing to take requests" post, I've been playing Battletech a lot ever since I bought it, but I'm still not quite as familiar with its mechanics as I am with FiraxCOM's: Aside from basic stuff like "wow evasion blows later in the game", I'm still not sure what would be a neat idea and what would just be dumb.

Probably beyond the scope of modding but a map editor would be swell.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does the story eventually take you to the different faction territories or do you just need to grind reputation points doing missions for them in the starting zone?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, I think I've found my niche.

MultiTarget/Bulwark/Breaching Shot for 1-2 Mechs who carry my biggest guns. gently caress up their entire team at once with a single spread, and stand in sight while doing it.

MultiTarget/Evasive Maneuvers/Ace Pilot for the other 2-3 Mechs who are my basic line. Watching an Assault hit 6 Evasion through Jumpjets, land, Bulwark up, next turn fire another shot then Jumpjet away for another 6 Evasion is hilarious. Nothing ever hits my Heavies/Assaults as they gracefully hop around the battlefield like dumbass frogs while my big gun dudes just stand in place and gently caress EVERYONE UP with Breaching Shots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still in the very beginning since time problems, but what do I do with the Light mech since all it can carry is basically the lasers. Do I just beeline the story missions, and how far until I get story equipment?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is probably a dumb question but how do I get Steam to sync the local saves to the cloud instead of the other way around? I keep deleting the old saves locally to help with load times and Steam keeps putting them back. I'd rather leave the cloud sync on though.

e: Also the Wolverine variant with the large laser is working way better for me than the AC variant. I gave it gyros, a LL+, and jumpjets at the cost of 100 missiles (seriously when will I ever fire 200 srms off in one mission with it) and it's cleaning house. I have two Wolvies, 3 Hawks, and I'm constantly rotating lights and mediums into the trash. I could probably do Smithn easy now but eh

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 4, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm still in the very beginning since time problems, but what do I do with the Light mech since all it can carry is basically the lasers. Do I just beeline the story missions, and how far until I get story equipment?

Do story missions when they're available until you complete Prison Break, then slow it down because the difficulty begins to ramp up and you'll want better mechs, which you'll need to get through salvage. The Spider mech isn't going to be terribly useful but it is fast and it can stomp on vehicles as well as any other mech. The Locust variant you start with is probably the worst mech in the battletech universe and is definitely the worst in the game, so you won't get much use out of it.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

The Spider has the farthest jump range in the game so you can make good use of it early on by flanking. I'm getting a surprising number of kills with it by reserving it to move last in most fights so it can pick the most vulnerable enemy, shoot it while it's downed or jump to hit the rear armor / exposed sides, then get out in the next initiative phase. It's also pretty good at taking out building/generator objectives for story missions (even if it fails to destroy the target you'll have it sighted for LRMs).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Do story missions when they're available until you complete Prison Break, then slow it down because the difficulty begins to ramp up and you'll want better mechs, which you'll need to get through salvage. The Spider mech isn't going to be terribly useful but it is fast and it can stomp on vehicles as well as any other mech. The Locust variant you start with is probably the worst mech in the battletech universe and is definitely the worst in the game, so you won't get much use out of it.

Yeah. That locust is a deathtrap. The Spider's incredible movement (use those jump jets) can be pretty drat useful, but it's not the easiest thing to get the most out of, especially when you're new. Reserving it down so you can move it twice in a row, great. Jumping to flank and build up a ton of evasion pips so it lives, great. Spotting for an LRM boat, great. Trying a standup fight, baaaaaaaaaad.

I think you'll need to do about three story missions until you're not stuck with the Leopard, then do anything you want at any pace you want. Doing story missions raises the global modifier so things get a bit tougher, just know that and do those when you want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah main reason why I've been avoiding even my first story mission so far is to build up some cash reserve so I can max out my morale early via extra monthly payment.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RBA Starblade posted:

This is probably a dumb question but how do I get Steam to sync the local saves to the cloud instead of the other way around? I keep deleting the old saves locally to help with load times and Steam keeps putting them back. I'd rather leave the cloud sync on though.

I read that if you start the game up and then delete the saves it will stick but I haven't tried it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I have a highlander now. I suspect I dont have many story missions left so Im probably going to blaze through them and then wait a year while this game turns into something epic

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any reliable tips on how to headshot a 'mech? And how are to-hit chances calculated? If I have a 95% chance of hitting a dude with a called shot to the head, and the game shows me as having a 16% chance to hit the head, how does that work out? 95% chance to hit the mech and 16% for those shots to hit the head?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

Any reliable tips on how to headshot a 'mech? And how are to-hit chances calculated? If I have a 95% chance of hitting a dude with a called shot to the head, and the game shows me as having a 16% chance to hit the head, how does that work out? 95% chance to hit the mech and 16% for those shots to hit the head?
Pretty much. Called shot chances are your chance of hitting that exact location specifically. So 95% chance to hit in the first place, 16% chance it will be a sweet headshot. If I recall right, it also changes the odds of hitting nearby sections, which is why multiple hit chances on the called shot pop-up change when you move around. A called shot to the left arm can still wildly spiral off to hit the right arm, but you are much more likely to hit sections next to it.

Improve the odds of headshot by x5 for every time it's some random armless enemy mech kicking you in the shins from the bottom of a hill.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 4, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

you want to take a lot of 16% called shots to the head with the gauss rifle or AC/20s because about 1 in 6 times it's like, hey, free mech

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ulmont posted:

I read that if you start the game up and then delete the saves it will stick but I haven't tried it.

This works, just alt-tab out of the game while it is running and delete the old saves, then close the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you have a firestarter with master called shot mastery you can also just jump in and mince the pilot with machine guns, I think its like 70% chance that each MG hits the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This reinforcements poo poo so you have to fight double to triple your lance weight at the same time is stupid as gently caress and the game is getting unplayable.

Is there a mod that fixes it yet?