Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is the crisis of the 21st Century Man Child: “I can fix my own poo poo?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Somebody in BFC (I think it was Knyteguy) said he used to have a lovely truck with no defrost so he would light candles on his dashboard to help melt ice off the windshield when it was real cold.

I used to do that with my old landrover

Imagine 4-5 of these:

lined up along the dashboard to defrost the windscreen.

It also had the bonus of slightly raising the cabin temperature...well they were more effective than the heater, anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This is the crisis of the 21st Century Man Child: “I can fix my own poo poo?”

IMO the true crisis is "Can I fix this, or does it just look easy when done by someone else on youtube"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jaded Burnout posted:

IMO the true crisis is "Can I fix this, or does it just look easy when done by someone else on youtube"

Def watched a yt video of a guy removing the interior panel of my car and said “that dudes forearms are like 3x mine” and decided otherwise.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rnr posted:

We here in the old country still use live candles on the x-mas tree to this day. Very common. I thought the US was supposed to be an anti-nanny state?! Maybe it is and its the people that have become nannies. Seriously, led string lights on your x-mas tree? For shame.

I remember seeing this in Switzerland when I lived there. I was a kid at the time, sio I don't know where the Swiss sourced their trees (probably inside the country - seems to be the Swiss way) but I remember them being relatively small, and quite a few table-top size.

I also recall twins from Sweden in my 5th grade class; one of them was hideously burnt from a candled tree catching & falling on him as a young child. He was too young, even at 11, to have work done; I presume he had that corrected in his late teens).

The US has a huge tree industry (search for "Christmas tree farm helicopter" sometime) with cutting commencing in late September or October, so by the time most trees get to a household, they're a couple months gone.

Plus, most people are not the brightest bulbs on the tree (heh) about fire security/protection anyway - the knowledge to prep a candle tree is not widely known beyond, "don't do it" - it takes very careful placement & pruning to set candles on a tree so that they burn (relatively) safely clear of surrounding foliage. Plus, it should only be occasionally lit & be watched at all times. We here like to turn the lights on & leave 'em on until January (slight exaggeration).

All it takes is to watch the video from the one fire department showing a dry tree going up to dissuade people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We used to have a neighborhood bonfire after Christmas and holy poo poo those flames were high and lasted long.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

We used to have a neighborhood bonfire after Christmas and holy poo poo those flames were high and lasted long.

My cousin does one at Easter with as many trees as people are willing to haul to her house at some point. She had the fire department called on her one year because someone saw sparks over the trees and though a house was burning.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Are we still talking about loving candles?

I've never hosed a candle, personally

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
burnt hair does smell dreadful

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I've never hosed a candle, personally

It's hot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wax in

Wax out

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

peanut posted:

Last time I was at Mt. Rainier NP, a park ranger was telling a story that around the turn of the century, people used to light pine trees on fire on 4th of July in lieu of fireworks.

You know, because they popped and crackled and burnt real good.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Double post because fire:

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Back on topic. I built my house out of candles but parked my overheating Ford F250 pickup truck in the built-in garage. Now half the wall has melted. What is the proper way to fix this?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Neutrino posted:

Back on topic. I built my house out of candles but parked my overheating Ford F250 pickup truck in the built-in garage. Now half the wall has melted. What is the proper way to fix this?

repair with motorcycle security pylons

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Candles $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Can someone good with threads please help me:

Concrete: 400 posts
Houses: 100 posts
Candles: 5000 posts
BWM: 50 posts

Help my thread is derailed.

Make a candles thread.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Candles $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my
house is burning

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Crappy construction content

https://i.imgur.com/lhPnD5Q.mp4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Haven’t you seen a hammer drill before?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dad?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Haven’t you seen a hammer drill before?

nailed it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao is there a HOA rule that doesn't allow them to just leave the garage door open?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

lmao is there a HOA rule that doesn't allow them to just leave the garage door open?

What do you mean, open? Haven't you ever seen a garage door decorated with a truck rear end before?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wax in

Wax out

Wax on

Whacks off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

It is open, three quarters of the way,

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

peanut posted:

I would sure hope the HOA also has a rule against doing... whatever the hell you wanna call that thing

It's at the perfect midway point between smart and stupid. No wait, between stupid and really stupid.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If the bed sticks out through the hole how do you open the door.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That bottom half looks like a big dumbass wood panel they prop up against/around the bumper.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ohhhhhhh.
Ok.

That is both obvious in retrospect and deeply disappointing.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Do you think he just does reverse burnouts and "bursts through" his garage door every day? :iamafag:

I know, the top doesn't conform to the cab.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

peanut posted:

That bottom half looks like a big dumbass wood panel they prop up against/around the bumper.

which is of course stored in the garage because the HOA wouldn't let them lean it up on the side of the house all day, so you have to drive up, get out, haul out what is effectively chaps but for a truck, put it to the side, get back in, drive in and park, close your half-door, scoot back outside to put idiot plug in, enter through front door

god i love modern conveniences

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I hope that’s a work truck with lettering on the side they won’t let him park on the street.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rnr posted:

We here in the old country still use live candles on the x-mas tree to this day. Very common. I thought the US was supposed to be an anti-nanny state?! Maybe it is and its the people that have become nannies. Seriously, led string lights on your x-mas tree? For shame.

Because we’re even more anti-burn your loving house to the foundation because you have an open flame on seven feet of conical tinder what the gently caress why would you even.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how on the left side it carefully follows the contours and the rights sides is :effort:.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ruflux posted:

I don't get it, why buy a truck with a lovely gasoline V8 probably originally designed in the 70s with horrible gas mileage and relatively poor torque instead of a modern turbodiesel with lots of torque to spare even at low revs, which is what you actually need for towing?

Oh wait I forgot the US has problems with that concept for some reason

I live in the US and have a nice tacoma with a 4 cylinder diesel engine and yeah they are nice.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

I live in the US and have a nice tacoma with a 4 cylinder diesel engine and yeah they are nice.

diesel tacoma?!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Because we’re even more anti-burn your loving house to the foundation because you have an open flame on seven feet of conical tinder what the gently caress why would you even.
I keep forgetting yours is the country where houses are basically 100% wood all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I keep forgetting yours is the country where houses are basically 100% wood all around.

Not like that is US specific. As someone from Finland, live candles on christmas trees sounds insanely dumb.

And I read a disturbing amount of incidents in a swedsh forum from loving vases of water and similar transparent things working as magnifying glasses for the sun and setting small fires and leaving scorch marks on things such as tables and walls and furniture.