Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the worst thing they could do is make brain herbert's poo poo canon to lay audiences. if they don't do that, i think a limited run wouldn't be too bad.

I don't think they'd adapt past book three, tops.

book four is too loving weird for a season of content, and is ironically something that'd work as a movie that should probably be more like My Dinner With Andre, but Moneo is wally to Leto's andre.

and I think the last two books are too problematic for the wokebase they've cultivated from the internet. It's almost too problematic for me and i love frank herbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
some stories just aren't made to be told in a television/cinema format. I'll always enjoy the original dune movie for its weirdness as well as the lightwave3d adventure of the scifi series

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
how the heck do you pronounce combine honnete ober advancer mercantiles?

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Angela Lansburial posted:

Going to take a stab with

Com-been-eh on-ette ober ad-van-ser mer-can-teel-lehs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

the worst thing they could do is make brain herbert's poo poo canon to lay audiences. if they don't do that, i think a limited run wouldn't be too bad.

I don't think they'd adapt past book three, tops.

book four is too loving weird for a season of content, and is ironically something that'd work as a movie that should probably be more like My Dinner With Andre, but Moneo is wally to Leto's andre.

and I think the last two books are too problematic for the wokebase they've cultivated from the internet. It's almost too problematic for me and i love frank herbert.

Wtf are you on about. All of hbos most popular shows use rape or borderline rape as an excuse to get more nudity onto the screen. There's nothing woke about their approach to television. Sex ninja nuns are perfect for them. And if not HBO then Showtime would definitely do it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

Wtf are you on about. All of hbos most popular shows use rape or borderline rape as an excuse to get more nudity onto the screen. There's nothing woke about their approach to television. Sex ninja nuns are perfect for them. And if not HBO then Showtime would definitely do it.

They have toned down GoT in response to internet fan backlash, even though it's still very bad. Westworld has everything to say about everything that happens to the hosts.

Actually i think it's mostly been a positive thing, as GoT was uncomfortable to watch sometimes in a bad way, but i think it's really there in some form.

I really don't think HBO's more rabid consumers would tolerate heretics or chapterhouse content. Maybe the way i described them was dumb, and thats a fine conclusion to arrive at, but i still stand by my notion that hbo fans would loving hate everything about those last books.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

They have toned down GoT in response to internet fan backlash, even though it's still very bad. Westworld has everything to say about everything that happens to the hosts.

Actually i think it's mostly been a positive thing, as GoT was uncomfortable to watch sometimes in a bad way, but i think it's really there in some form.

I really don't think HBO's more rabid consumers would tolerate heretics or chapterhouse content. Maybe the way i described them was dumb, and thats a fine conclusion to arrive at, but i still stand by my notion that hbo fans would loving hate everything about those last books.

Maybe, but it wasn't that long ago that Cathouse and Taxi Cab Confessions were big shows for them (and are still happily listed in their on demand). Like, maybe they'd lose some people but they'd pick up others.

I think the primary challenge for adapting the last two is that they're really serious tonal whiplash from God Emperor and it wouldn't feel like the same show which could confuse people. Because HBO viewers are dumb.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

exmachina posted:

Duncan held a door against a squad or 2 of Sardukar ALONE and killed about a dozen.

And that's why Leto walked into the trap of Arrakis, and why the Emperor sent the Sardaukar: Leto believed, perhaps correctly, that the Fremen were an undiscovered force of Duncan-equivalent warriors, an anti-Sardaukar force in the making. Leto wanted that force, and the Emperor wanted to deny him that force (and the Baron discounted that force entirely, which was why he got the Sardaukar instead of some other, less loathsome house that didn't like the Atredies.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
sardaukar is such a great word

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

dune's filled with words that are just fun to say. sardaukar. atreides. harkonnen. feyd. maud'dib.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

rndmnmbr posted:

And that's why Leto walked into the trap of Arrakis, and why the Emperor sent the Sardaukar: Leto believed, perhaps correctly, that the Fremen were an undiscovered force of Duncan-equivalent warriors, an anti-Sardaukar force in the making. Leto wanted that force, and the Emperor wanted to deny him that force (and the Baron discounted that force entirely, which was why he got the Sardaukar instead of some other, less loathsome house that didn't like the Atredies.)

Not entirely. The Baron remarks to Count Fenring that he was considering using the Fremen as shock troops, which was later pointed out to be one of the Baron's main blunders: he tipped his hand that he wanted to put a Harkonnen on the throne but instead of realizing he was just going to do it with craft they figured he was going to harness the Fremen somehow. That's why Hawat laughs at him when the Baron recounts the story and goes "You loving idiot".

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Angela Lansburial posted:

Chome

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

basic hitler posted:

I already won't even watch GoT or Westworld, so I really hope any Dune adaptation keeps it a little less graphic.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

dune's filled with words that are just fun to say. sardaukar. atreides. harkonnen. feyd. maud'dib.

yeah, he's almost as good with words as gibson.

cyberspace, geodesics, ono-sendai, zion cluster, villa straylight, slitscan, simstim etc.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It takes the right kind of person to come up with fancy sci-fi words that don't sound like total bullshit.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

So true.
Herbert must have been aware his skill in this on some level, with the whole "my name is a killing word"
guns that used words to fire.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah, he's almost as good with words as gibson.

geodesics

Geodesic is a real word. Its used in differential geometry (I was a math major), but in physics the term is also used in general relativity.

Ono-Sendai is a weird one cause those are both cities that are nowhere near each other. On their own though they are words, ono being axe.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 4, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Right, well its good enough to be a gibson original!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spinster posted:

So true.
Herbert must have been aware his skill in this on some level, with the whole "my name is a killing word"
guns that used words to fire.

Were the 'weirding modules' not a wholesale invention for the Lynch film?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dune 2: Hyperdune

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Correct

Mussel With Muscles
Apr 18, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah in the first book, Paul and Jessica train the Fremen using some techniques of Bene Gesserit kung fu (prana-bindu)- this is the training that lets a BG slow her heartbeat and all kinds of fine tune bodily control, as well as making them all hyper-ninjas.

Lynch looked at this and saw what a pain in the rear end it would be to explain in movie form - you'd need to talk all about the history, use, what it does, then show it somehow in action much earlier so the audience would be like "ohhhh that thing", really spend a lot of time to make the simple practical statement of "Paul and Jessica make the Fremen better at fighting." Remember movie language is all about efficiency - you need to get to the point and make it understandable. Every little thing you show has to advance the story.

So he just gave them a new fancy gun to explain the power upgrade. And they did it in a pretty clever way that fits in with the story (it's a "weird gun" and it makes cool sounds and poo poo), and then also used it to make another important thematic point, just in a more literal sense - the bit where one of the trainees says "maud'dib" and the gun goes off. "My name is a killing word!" Well, yeah it is, just not in quite this way. Some pretty efficient film-making, and an elegant solution to a problem of translating a complicated idea from a novel into movie form.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh gently caress. poo poo. Embarrassing. I rewatched movie just a few months ago due to this very thread. Read Dune ? 10 times probably but not in a few years, still hosed that up.

I guess my sietch will take my water now

Goodbye

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spinster posted:

Oh gently caress. poo poo. Embarrassing. I rewatched movie just a few months ago due to this very thread. Read Dune ? 10 times probably but not in a few years, still hosed that up.

I guess my sietch will take my water now

Goodbye

May thy knife chip and shatter!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I would have loved to see a Lynch directed 80s wire kung fu fight scene

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

May thy knife chip and shatter!

:negative:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rndmnmbr posted:

10 legions of SARDAUKAR!!!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They also adopted the idea of sound-based weapons being the "Atreides thing" to the videogames, probably for the same reason.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Milky Moor posted:

Kull wahad!
Which in Arabic actually means "it’s all one" or "Whatever."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Now that I think of it, I think that the Lynch Dune was a sort-of-LOTR for the franchise. Very impressive visualization of the novel and its concepts, but worse at actually telling the story.

LOTR trilogy also cut out most of the story-harming and excessive poo poo from the source materials, and made the story itself more accessible to the audience. However, it is easier to stay somewhat coherent with the story by releasing 3*3h movies instead of cramming the entire thing into one 2h piece.

Having read the book, I actually liked the Lynch movie. But I definitely see why it bombed at the box office.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

They also adopted the idea of sound-based weapons being the "Atreides thing" to the videogames, probably for the same reason.

In Emperor, I think they may have been Fremen only, but I haven’t played that game in a decade.

I would love a strategy game like that either set before Dune (not PrequelDune, just before it. poo poo, you could do like 1000 years earlier to really divorce it from the prequel crap), or during the post-Dune Jihad.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Paul "Borat" Atreides

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Emperor, I think they may have been Fremen only, but I haven’t played that game in a decade.

I would love a strategy game like that either set before Dune (not PrequelDune, just before it. poo poo, you could do like 1000 years earlier to really divorce it from the prequel crap), or during the post-Dune Jihad.

Emperor has sonic tanks for the atreides that iirc are near unusable thanks to their tenednecy to cause friendly fire.

They fedaykin fighters you can make stealth and have weirding modules too, however.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you pronounce it feh DIE kin or fed eye Keen

second one sounds more like fedayeen right

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I want a game like CKII but it's Dune.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

i was introduced to dune via dune 2 and so much of my mind is wired to atreides color being blue

but they're green. they're always described as green in the novel. why did they change them to blue and make house ordos green? this bothers me more than it should!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

gently caress, wasn't there something like this back in the DOS era? You could look at different planets and they were divided into hex grids with various buildings and forces? You could build your house and personal traits from scratch?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mussel With Muscles posted:

Yeah in the first book, Paul and Jessica train the Fremen using some techniques of Bene Gesserit kung fu (prana-bindu)- this is the training that lets a BG slow her heartbeat and all kinds of fine tune bodily control, as well as making them all hyper-ninjas.

Lynch looked at this and saw what a pain in the rear end it would be to explain in movie form - you'd need to talk all about the history, use, what it does, then show it somehow in action much earlier so the audience would be like "ohhhh that thing", really spend a lot of time to make the simple practical statement of "Paul and Jessica make the Fremen better at fighting." Remember movie language is all about efficiency - you need to get to the point and make it understandable. Every little thing you show has to advance the story.

So he just gave them a new fancy gun to explain the power upgrade. And they did it in a pretty clever way that fits in with the story (it's a "weird gun" and it makes cool sounds and poo poo), and then also used it to make another important thematic point, just in a more literal sense - the bit where one of the trainees says "maud'dib" and the gun goes off. "My name is a killing word!" Well, yeah it is, just not in quite this way. Some pretty efficient film-making, and an elegant solution to a problem of translating a complicated idea from a novel into movie form.

Not really. I think the weirding modules are one of the biggest betrayals of Dune's themes and ideas in the film, and also an unnecessary one. 'The weirding way is a martial art.' There you go. Done. No need to get into the history and stuff. If they wanted to make it literally a killing word; go with something like that, then. Make it some lethal derivation of the Voice that uses sound to kill.
But making it a gun/technology completely misses the point of why it had to be Paul and Jessica, and moreover, the fundamental themes of Dune that humans and human skills are superior to technology and machines.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Is there not a Dune mod for CK2? I'm shocked.

EDIT:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress, wasn't there something like this back in the DOS era? You could look at different planets and they were divided into hex grids with various buildings and forces? You could build your house and personal traits from scratch?

Never played it myself, but isn't that kind of like Emperor of the Fading Suns? That setting always struck me as Dune with some bits of 40k tosses in. Which is of course funny since 40k in its first edition was basically the lovechild of Dune and Judge Dredd/2000 AD.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Probably. The only things I remember were what I said, plus advisors who looked like creeps, and I think you had to become the emperor and stay there for some timeframe to win, and most importantly: it was completely impossible to figure out how to play if you didn't have the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Probably. The only things I remember were what I said, plus advisors who looked like creeps, and I think you had to become the emperor and stay there for some timeframe to win, and most importantly: it was completely impossible to figure out how to play if you didn't have the manual.

It was exactly Emperor of the Fading Suns which was...a deeply flawed game. On the surface it was fantastic but it was full of features that literally weren't finished and had bugs on release that made it effectively unplayable. This was in the 90's so there was no guarantee you could get the patch.

I really, really want to see somebody actually make a game like that properly but considering that EFS didn't sell well it may never happen.