Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Apparently, the current rule is that you can in fact cast Squee, the Immortal from under an Ixalan’s Binding due to some technicality relating to Bestow or something. :psyduck:

The reasoning is apparently that "you can't cast" restrictions aren't checked until a spell is on the stack. By the time that happens, Squee is no longer under Ixalan's Binding.

This already doesn’t work in Arena because they intended to fix it so you can’t cast Squee but hadn’t figured out how.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Seems like the easy fix would be to make spells and abilities get placed on the stack as the last part of casting/activating them. This complicates things when you're casting a Panglacial Wurm that's the top card of your library and you want to use a Chromatic Sphere to cast it, but that's not really a huge loss.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Power level errata: Panglacial Wurm is no longer a card.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 4, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lets change the rules over squee, a card that nobody is happy to hit with ixalans binding anyway even if the rules were changed to make it work.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Apparently, the current rule is that you can in fact cast Squee, the Immortal from under an Ixalan’s Binding due to some technicality relating to Bestow or something. :psyduck:

The reasoning is apparently that "you can't cast" restrictions aren't checked until a spell is on the stack. By the time that happens, Squee is no longer under Ixalan's Binding.

I would love to read a technical write-up about this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

I would love to read a technical write-up about this.

The first step in casting a spell is to move it from the zone it's in to the stack. Only when all steps of a spell are done (announce and move to stack, choose modes, choose targets, choose how it'll affect those targets, determine the total cost, activate mana abilities, pay the costs for the spell in any order) is the spell actually "cast". How they'll fix this I have no idea, I don't do any Magic rules article writing or heavy judging anymore so that part of my brain has atrophied.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There is this bit in the rules, though:

601.2 posted:

To cast a spell is to take it from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Casting a spell includes proposal of the spell (rules 601.2a-d) and determination and payment of costs (rules 601.2f-h). To cast a spell, a player follows the steps listed below, in order. A player must be legally allowed to cast the spell to begin this process (see rule 601.3), ignoring any effect that would prohibit that spell from being cast based on information determined during that spell's proposal. (Such effects are considered during the check detailed in rule 601.2e.) If, at any point during the casting of a spell, a player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the casting of the spell is illegal; the game returns to the moment before the casting of that spell was proposed (see rule 721, "Handling Illegal Actions").

The fact that Squee isn't going to be under Ixalan's Binding by the time you get to 601.2e isn't actually "information determined during that spell's proposal" by a strict reading, so you'd think that it'd prevent you from even starting to cast Squee, right?

I think the twist there is split cards. Because of split cards, the name of the spell you're casting counts as "information determined during that spell's proposal". If they cleaned up the rules there a little, that could probably solve the problem in a much less intrusive way.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
cool sequence of plays to make in modern:

starting with the same amount of lands as your opponent

activate ghost quarter on an opponents land -> hold priority -> activate weathered wayfarer, searching up another ghost quarter -> vial in a leonin arbiter -> let ghost quarter resolve -> play second ghost quarter, blow up another land

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is a decent bid at a Lich's Mastery draft. The removal suite is insane and I think there is enough secondary life gain to justify.

I have a healing grace and a billion navigator's compasses in the board but I didn't want to play cards that are only good on that one condition.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is a decent bid at a Lich's Mastery draft. The removal suite is insane and I think there is enough secondary life gain to justify.

I have a healing grace and a billion navigator's compasses in the board but I didn't want to play cards that are only good on that one condition.

And of course I get rolled by hexproof turtle.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean obviously I just didn’t see it when I looked at it. I still wouldn’t play Mimic. It’s way too low impact - if you get the deck going you don’t need it at all when you have Song and Tendershoot and a bunch of the creatures are already not Saprolings.

I don’t think 21 lands is enough either. Llanowar Elves dies too much and you’re banking too hard on it if you play too few lands.

Hm, good points. What do you think I should do, just drop the Mimics and put lands in their place?

And yeah the more I think about it, the more solid Fungal Infection seems to be, but it's hard to say if it's good maindeck or sideboard. Seems fantastic in matchups against dorks and weenies, but nearly useless in other matchups.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I know everyone in the thread was down on Brawl as a format, but as a newly returning player it seems pretty awesome. Several people locally are posting on Facebook looking for games, and it's as cheap as Pauper with decks averaging around $60. Pretty hype to build Saproling and Pirate decks for it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Does anyone actually play brawl anywhere besides MTGO? It looks sweet Baral aside but I haven't heard a single IRL person say a word about it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BGrifter posted:

I know everyone in the thread was down on Brawl as a format, but as a newly returning player it seems pretty awesome. Several people locally are posting on Facebook looking for games, and it's as cheap as Pauper with decks averaging around $60. Pretty hype to build Saproling and Pirate decks for it.

You misunderstand. Any format can be fun at the kitchen table where every person is playing durdle turtle battlecruiser decks. The complaints about Brawl are that it breaks down as a competitive format, especially 1v1, despite WotC publishing articles claiming the contrary. And those decks can surely go higher than your casual budget. Don't equate your kitchen table to tournament play. It's disingenuous and dismissive of other people's experience.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

suicidesteve posted:

Does anyone actually play brawl anywhere besides MTGO? It looks sweet Baral aside but I haven't heard a single IRL person say a word about it.

I didn't expect anyone local to care about it, but I've seen a half dozen people posting asking for Brawl games at the LGS. More than any other format.

Edit: Those $60 decks were several of the top ten Brawl decks on MTGGoldfish. :shrug:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Also it might be popular now, but it probably won't last. Just look how Frontier turned out.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Brawl has completely taken over my local store, it's almost impossible to get a game in any other format. Glad people are having fun I guess but it's a bit depressing. Tonight they're even doing brawl as fnm, since we only had 4 people show up last time we had modern. At least on saturdays they still have no choice but to play 3 rounds of standard with me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

moush posted:

Also it might be popular now, but it probably won't last. Just look how Frontier turned out.

You will probably be right in the end, but Brawl has the help of being an official format while Frontier isn't.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Went 5-0 in a Friendly Standard League queue this morning with my stompy list :)

It's a pretty regular stompy deck, but maindeck Nissa, one Immortal Sun and two Lifecrafter's Bestiary, since you really need the late game against control.

For game 2-3 against control, also bring in Prowling Serpopard, the second immortal sun and some naturalizes.

Having lots of fun with this list. Considering maindecking two Prowling Serpopard as well instead of Ripjaw Raptor.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Star Man posted:

You will probably be right in the end, but Brawl has the help of being an official format while Frontier isn't.
Verhey's article yesterday was all about assuring people WotC is listening to their feedback and they'll keep supporting Brawl. It might be completely busted as 1v1 competitive format right now, but so was 1v1 Commander and I think people are still playing that?

Funny story tho, my LGS has a casual event on Wednesdays and the people there are actually too casual for a weirdo format like Brawl. I've had to shuffle my commander in to get some games in. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 4, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like UR Wizards with Adeliz has some prowess-y potential with a 5-0.

Didn't watch the entire 2 hour video because honestly there's something about this guy that grates on me (about 20 minutes in all I could think was "please stop talking"), but it looks cool. Don't know if there's any good improvements that can be made on the deck, but I like what I see.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Siivola posted:

Verhey's article yesterday was all about assuring people WotC is listening to their feedback and they'll keep supporting Brawl. It might be completely busted as 1v1 competitive format right now, but so was 1v1 Commander and I think people are still playing that?

Funny story tho, my LGS has a casual event on Wednesdays and the people there are actually too casual for a weirdo format like Brawl. I've had to shuffle my commander in to get some games in. :v:

Nobody plays 1v1 competitive Brawl. If you show up with Baral as your commander your playgroup will just kill you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I mean, I'm totally going to throw the first stone, but on the other hand the format does exist on MTGO and until we figure out Knife Over IP protocols people are gonna play Barawl.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Siivola posted:

I mean, I'm totally going to throw the first stone, but on the other hand the format does exist on MTGO and until we figure out Knife Over IP protocols people are gonna play Barawl.

People will play a lot of things on MTGO if they can grind out rewards for it but Brawl as a general proposition is a casual format (and Verhey pitched it as one). People at my store play it the same way they play EDH, usually 3 or 4, mostly casual stuff like Beckett Brass pirates.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
The biggest reason why I like Brawl. Is that it's Commander Lite with just cards from Standard rotation. You don't need to hunt up 3 or 4 of a card to have a play set. And for those of us with limited funds having to not buy multiples is a good thing. Less cards in your library means it's "easier" to draw your win condition. It really is a good casual format that makes it easier to get newer or returning players such as myself to play.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Matsuri posted:

Looks like UR Wizards with Adeliz has some prowess-y potential with a 5-0.

Didn't watch the entire 2 hour video because honestly there's something about this guy that grates on me (about 20 minutes in all I could think was "please stop talking"), but it looks cool. Don't know if there's any good improvements that can be made on the deck, but I like what I see.

The biggest improvement it can have is the next set giving us another solid wizard or two. Also the manabase is a bit clunky since it has to focus more on red. Besides that, I think it’s surprisingly solid. I was down on Riddleform and Spellweaver Eternal, but they’re good bodies and the former provides wrath protection, and neither of them have good replacements. On the whole, UR Wizards is one to watch.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Brawl also seems cool because I can put a few janky common/uncommon creatures that I like and not be gimping myself. I’m looking at you Colossal Dreadmaw.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IMO the uniqueness rule in Brawl should be based on printings. So you can have two opts and like three dreadmaws as long as they're all different.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

IMO the uniqueness rule in Brawl should be based on printings. So you can have two opts and like three dreadmaws as long as they're all different.

Same but for lands. I have always enjoyed using different art for lands and would welcome any encouragement to have others do the same. :getin:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In other news, I just opened my first physical pack since like, Kaladesh, and wow now I see what everyone was saying about the new pack smell being different. These cards smelled downright putrid.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

The biggest improvement it can have is the next set giving us another solid wizard or two. Also the manabase is a bit clunky since it has to focus more on red. Besides that, I think it’s surprisingly solid. I was down on Riddleform and Spellweaver Eternal, but they’re good bodies and the former provides wrath protection, and neither of them have good replacements. On the whole, UR Wizards is one to watch.

Also probably the most solid budget deck I've seen yet. Soul-Scar Mage seems to be a good answer to the two biggest creature elephants in the room (Steel Leaf Champion and Lyra Dawnbringer) as it nerfs them pretty well when combined with burn spells, and while Riddleform seems janky and probably is, it gives wrath protection and a mana outlet when you have nothing to spend it on. Though part of me is wondering if Enigma Drake or something could be a good late game threat or something.

Jabor posted:

In other news, I just opened my first physical pack since like, Kaladesh, and wow now I see what everyone was saying about the new pack smell being different. These cards smelled downright putrid.

I'm torn, yeah. I like the new feel of the cards quite a bit, but new pack smell is definitely not the joy it once was.

One sensory pleasure traded for another, I guess.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 4, 2018

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I opened some US cards because I bought a Fat Pack (we typically get Belgian cards in Germany but those are always US) and I can confirm that a) I didn't smell anything and b) while there is a minor improvement compared to the KLD-RIX dross, the cards are still garbage compared to ours.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Toshimo posted:

You misunderstand. Any format can be fun at the kitchen table where every person is playing durdle turtle battlecruiser decks.

Don't equate your kitchen table to tournament play. It's disingenuous and dismissive of other people's experience.

wtf is this - be nicer

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Battlebond land cycle

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There it is, y'all. There's the EDH dual lands. Kinda.

Love the art for Luxury Suite. Red/Black always seems to be pushed under "vampires" or "rip your face off and eat it for fun" gore. The notion that it could also indicate lavish decadence and irresponsible spending is kinda cool too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 4, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-modern-constructed-league-2018-05-04

Doesn't prove much, but 2 yung Karn in the MB of an Affinity deck is neat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Matsuri posted:

There it is, y'all. There's the EDH dual lands. Kinda.

Love the art for Luxury Suite. Red/Black always seems to be pushed under "vampires" or "rip your face off and eat it for fun" gore. The notion that it could also indicate lavish decadence and irresponsible spending is kinda cool too.

Not fetchable.

But yeah, they're still pretty good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Not fetchable.

But yeah, they're still pretty good.

That's why I said "kinda". :unsmith:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sports-world continues to sound like an idea that's so silly it wraps back around to being brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tainen posted:

Battlebond land cycle

I completely missed the whole Battlebond reveal or whatever, but in looking it up it seems neat. Also these are kinda nifty. Pretty much only EDH friendly fare, but still cool design.