Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

Also consider that Fortnite has BR on console practically all to itself. PUBG isn't on PS4, and it runs at N64 framerates even on an Xbox One X. Fortnite meanwhile runs at a stable 60 FPS, even on base PS4 and base XB1.

I've read too many complaints that I doubt it actually runs 60FPS stable. Still lightyears ahead of PUBG though, even if you regularly drop to 50.

Wasn't PUBG running on 20FPS or some poo poo around launch on xbox? Although I suppose Fortnite was exactly the same, but it doesn't take Epic 6 months for a few optimizations at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Seditiar posted:

I've read too many complaints that I doubt it actually runs 60FPS stable. Still lightyears ahead of PUBG though, even if you regularly drop to 50.

Wasn't PUBG running on 20FPS or some poo poo around launch on xbox? Although I suppose Fortnite was exactly the same, but it doesn't take Epic 6 months for a few optimizations at least.

Prior to the 60 FPS update, Fortnite ran at a solid 30 FPS on console. Whatever hitching there is now, it seems to be netcode-related. While Fortnite is helped by the fact that the Unreal Engine team is just down the hall, PUBG's performance is still poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOq2qTbg68M

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

God my eyes hurt just watching that video. I can't even imagine buying that game and finding out that it runs at ~20 fps. I'd be loving pissed. Would be literally unplayable for me.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Godzilla07 posted:

Prior to the 60 FPS update, Fortnite ran at a solid 30 FPS on console. Whatever hitching there is now, it seems to be netcode-related. While Fortnite is helped by the fact that the Unreal Engine team is just down the hall, PUBG's performance is still poo:

Jesus christ a game that runs 10fps ityool 2018. :psyduck:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I never played PUBG because it looked 200% like an early access survival game with janky animations and stuff that weren't the endearing kind of jank. I played Fortnite because when it first released because 1. it was free and 2. it got wild reports of being actually good despite being something the Fortnite folks cranked out in a weekend to poke fun at PUBG or something so I figured I'd see what the hubbub was. I didn't play tons of it then but they've consistently improved on it and added stuff and this latest update is just huge. It's obvious the developers care about a quality product whereas PUBG's developers are over there charging for their game that's still janky as gently caress while they're trying to sue people for making other Battle Royale games and citing their generic rear end frying pan and red bull ripoff drink as iconic elements of their game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cluncho McChunk posted:

It's obvious the developers care about a quality product whereas PUBG's developers are over there charging for their game that's still janky as gently caress while they're trying to sue people for making other Battle Royale games and citing their generic rear end frying pan and red bull ripoff drink as iconic elements of their game.

Their lawyers are better than their programmers, and their lawyers are loving dumb.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Really hoping Dice makes a proper BR, get some actual competition in the market for Fortnite.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Really hoping Dice makes a proper BR, get some actual competition in the market for Fortnite.

I feel they would just drain PUBG playerbase. Fortnite is a rather unique game and I don’t think that it will have a direct competitor any time soon, their poo poo feels like it’s own niche within BR genre.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Godzilla07 posted:

Is that being sold as 'early access' on Xbox? If not that's loving disgraceful.

A game that ugly should run well on a toaster.

Also what mad fuckers actually use voice chat?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I feel they would just drain PUBG playerbase. Fortnite is a rather unique game and I don’t think that it will have a direct competitor any time soon, their poo poo feels like it’s own niche within BR genre.

I meant it more in the sense of having another big BR game to copy good features from. :v: Fortnite is way too unique, none of the other big game companies have anything close to it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I use to be a modder, and a few of my friend modders have ended game developers, but most of them not. Modding and professional developers are two different types of people. I think. Modders are just like hackers, trying things to see how things break. Professional developers are more ..... well... pro.

So is a surprise to nobody that a game build by modders feel like a mod. And I have to asume the skills that make you a good modder don't make you a good manager of your company, so maybe is a poorly run company too. It seems like that, from the outside, maybe we are wrong.

But I am happy PUBG exist, because represent a flavour of Battle Royale that I am not interested in, but other people do like. Once others Battle Royales hit the market we will see how PUBG deal with it, I am sure Fortnite will always have a large population. Epic is killing it with all the upgrades and updates. Too bad bugs are starting to stack on each other and .... Epic has killed other games before.

/rant

Edit:

Even grognards are getting Battle Royales clones

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 4, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wowwww that PUBG video is bad, I'm gonna make fun of my friends who play it now :toot:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't play online games with pubbies with a mic because I don't want to be called a nazi jew peanut lizard by some twelve year old while the sound of his mother being beaten by a drunk screaming man plays in the background.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Y'all know you can mute the small child who's calling you names, right...? Playing with randoms can be pretty fun :shrug: Made a couple of homies, the best is when I am the 4th person in a 3-man squad and they're all buds, that poo poo can be pretty wild.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

All goons are mentally stable and fun to play with at all times, everyone who has ever played lol/dota2 knows this.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Neon Belly posted:

All goons are mentally stable and fun to play with at all times, everyone who has ever played lol/dota2 knows this.

DON'T PLAY WITH TCJIMBO

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao, one of are squad buddies got real mad when he requested one of the other squad members credit card information...

Lol, he's also 9 years old.

Yo we tight man, but not that tight.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Having played both PUBG and Fortnite they’re two completely different flavours of BR. PUBG, while undeniably being janky as gently caress actually has really solid gunplay and shooting mechanics. Fortnite’s shooting is shallower, but that kind of works for it as it makes it more about positioning and building. Fortnite is actually optimised though so you’ve automatically got more people who can play it and you’re not going to flat out haemorrhage people who stop being able to tolerate the jank.

A Battlefield BR will kill PUBG though unless EA somehow ruin the Battle Royale system with microtransactions.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Y'all know you can mute the small child who's calling you names, right...? Playing with randoms can be pretty fun :shrug: Made a couple of homies, the best is when I am the 4th person in a 3-man squad and they're all buds, that poo poo can be pretty wild.

If we're the three man squad my buddies and I always just call the fourth Randy or Phil. Those that roll with it are usually worth friending.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Seditiar posted:

love to pay $120 for a full game

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

prom candy posted:

This is actually a good point. EA believe games should cost 200$ and include micro and macro transactions. How the hell they are going to compete with PUBG or Fortnite with these retarded ideas. I guess they can sell a lot of preorders of a game that will sink in 3 months.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Preem Palver posted:

If we're the three man squad my buddies and I always just call the fourth Randy or Phil. Those that roll with it are usually worth friending.

Haha we were doing the same thing the other day, I think we were calling them Sally.

I think one Sally actually friended me, too, I gotta check on that. If so, definitely a homie.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

prom candy posted:

Epic sold games for a high price as well, recently too. I'm sure most developers won't even bother with a paid BR, it's never going to work anymore.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just can't picture EA choosing a consumer-friendly monetization strategy that favours long-term growth and revenue over charging for the base game, charging for in-game upgrades, charging for DLC that splits the player base, and then letting the game die in 3-6 months. I don't think they have it in them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

I just can't picture EA choosing a consumer-friendly monetization strategy that favours long-term growth and revenue over charging for the base game, charging for in-game upgrades, charging for DLC that splits the player base, and then letting the game die in 3-6 months. I don't think they have it in them.

Their Titanfall 2 strategy was pretty consumer friendly.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Preem Palver posted:

*turns on mic just once during entire match*

RA-RA-RA-RA-RA-RAAAAAAAANNNNDDDDYYYYYYYY

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Fortnite times are fun.

I'm like bro this could take 5 minutes or 45 mins.

I DON'T KNOW!

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Interested to see a replay of one of your 45 minute games.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I was just throwing a number out there. Lol.

Once you get to the last 15 I've lost all sense of time and space.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I booted up PUBG the other day and it was way better than the video suggests. Probably 45fps, they put out a patch about twice a month.

It's still a hideous game with no auto-aim on consoles, but they make some pretty solid improvements every few weeks.

I wish I could drop it out of 4k and turn off HDR to get a little bit more oompf out of it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

A Man and his dog posted:

Fortnite times are fun.

I'm like bro this could take 5 minutes or 45 mins.

I DON'T KNOW!

5 minutes is a very successful game for me

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is there any ETA on when the PvE mode is supposed to go f2p? I want to mess around with it but $40 is way too steep an entry price. I don't understand why there isn't a $10-20ish barebones buy-in

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just got an email from Epic saying there was a series of unsuccessful logins for my account. Changed my password and popped that 2 factor.

Protect ya neck, people.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there any ETA on when the PvE mode is supposed to go f2p? I want to mess around with it but $40 is way too steep an entry price. I don't understand why there isn't a $10-20ish barebones buy-in

They have 50% sales every once in a while.. but still don't know if it's worth it with F2P on the way.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kelp Plankton posted:

Ask if any goons or friends who shelled out cash for it have freebie/friend codes for the pve mode. I think a bunch of tiers of the founders packs came with a few.
It's better now than it was a few months ago, but yeah I agree it's not worth a 40 buck price tag yet, and ironically EPIC kinda realizes it's too incomplete to release as f2p, since there's not really anything worth spending v-bucks on in the pve mode although the recent price reduction for loot boxes at least makes it less silly.

I actually enjoy most of the gameplay loop in the pve mode a bit more, like having classes and abilities, and I like fighting off hordes, but having to grind materials to build traps, weapons, and forts and not really getting much back for running missions is less fun, especially since it feels like building a cool fort tends to eat up a full stock of materials (if only 1 or 2 people are building)
I kinda feel like missions should partially refund you building materials, as a way of encouraging actually deploying your traps or building and repairing stuff. Especially when you lose. As is, a loss is particularly demoralizing and encourages you not to struggle if things go south, since you'll just be throwing good resources after bad, and there aren't really any rewards for near misses or comebacks, only acing content.

Though, the new "enemies drop materials" mechanic does seem to alleviate that a bit, and gets more people actually contributing rather than just loving off to do side quests and gather during the objectives. I really wanna see the survival mode come back with the enemy resource drops, since my only complaint about that mode is it felt like there just wasn't quite enough free resources. Like I understand and appreciate that you're supposed to ration stuff somewhat, and it creates a cycle of running out and gathering/building between day and night cycles, but the game doesn't need another "Go farm mats, then burn them all here" mission type.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Horde Bash was the best event, it needs to get the "modern" Fortnite features/iteration and I'd play it all day.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Beastie posted:

I just got an email from Epic saying there was a series of unsuccessful logins for my account. Changed my password and popped that 2 factor.

Protect ya neck, people.

I got the same thing, changed to a new longer password. Fortunately already have 2 factor enabled.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems they increased the required exp to level up this season. It seems the real struggle won't be getting a lvl100 battlepass, but instead reaching season level 85 to unlock all the Omega cosmetics. :(

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Azran posted:

It seems they increased the required exp to level up this season. It seems the real struggle won't be getting a lvl100 battlepass, but instead reaching season level 85 to unlock all the Omega cosmetics. :(

good news is that you'll probbo hit level 100 in the battle pass around tier 60 for season level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yes, considering how slowly you get exp, I think I'll only barely make it to 85. Are double exp weekends a thing in this game?