Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Locator posted:

Have a link to the story on this? Seems like the three people walking into that hallway almost had to get run down.

"Prosecutors said that Johnson became enraged when police told him to turn down his car music in January 2008 and said he would crash into City Hall."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Then why are there already two cops with guns drawn chasing it?

They're American police- drawn guns are appropriate for dislodging kittens from trees.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

CIGNX posted:

EDIT: Or head over to the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI and find gems like this

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/document.cfm?docID=462889&docketID=61112&mkey=95528

I think it is time to retire CLUSTER-gently caress :v:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

But I thought climate change has opened the northern passage?

That's exactly why you need more icebreakers. If it was frozen solid like it was before recently there's nothing you can do, but now that it's warmer up there the ice is thin enough to break through.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hahaha...

quote:

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) -- A man has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for driving his car through Wichita's City Hall. Marcus Johnson, 33, also was ordered Wednesday to pay $142,000 in restitution.

I wonder when our justice system is going to start paying inmates a reasonable wage so they can start paying their restitution orders after we toss them in the pokey for a decade over property damage...

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

CIGNX posted:

Here is an explanation of the Air France 4590 Concorde crash by a British Airways Concorde pilot. It's pretty comprehensive and has loads of stuff I had never known about this incident, like the fact that this flight was almost 3 tons over its weight limits and missed a 747 that had the French president onboard by about 20 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqOcYhzWUZY

EDIT: Or head over to the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI and find gems like this

Thank you for this! That John Hutchinson guy is the most British person in the world.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nurse Fanny posted:

gotta play the blues brothers theme to this gif my dude
https://gifsound.com/?gifv=B81cPCS&v=VnG0JjzF7HY&s=10

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good luck dude

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

They found the bike but never caught the rider

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/motorcycle-involved-in-stunt-like-police-chase-through-b-c-mall-seized-1.2425938

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

HardDiskD posted:

I then read page 2:

https://www.wsoctv.com/www.wsoctv.com/news/local/small-aircraft-crashes-in-lincoln-county/742630301

quote:

"If I had a helicopter I wouldn't fly it into a tree myself, but he chose to and I respect his rights for his property," Aubery said.

I have to admit, I laughed.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Fastest response time EVER.

Related, I saw somebody in a Lexus cut off an ambulance with full sirens and lights on my way to work this morning.

The co-pilot of the ambulance got off a nice double bird and then appeared to be looking for pen and paper.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

I wonder when our justice system is going to start paying inmates a reasonable wage so they can start paying their restitution orders after we toss them in the pokey for a decade over property damage...

It’s not like he had any way of knowing their was no one in his path before playing through the building.

He could have hit someone working after hours.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://i.imgur.com/YrPLQBW.mp4

this seems like the kind of thing thats perfectly safe right up until it all of a sudden isnt

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted in here before, but after all the helicopter and plane chat I was reminded of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

quite stretched out posted:

this seems like the kind of thing thats perfectly safe right up until it all of a sudden isnt

Lawnmower Man reboot looking pretty good.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5324002/victims-of-delacombe-trench-collapse-to-be-farewelled-friday/

what a poo poo way to go

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Proper shoring ain't no loving joke.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MF_James posted:

Honestly, some times your best option is to either coast at your current speed or speed up. I avoided one of the dumbest accidents I've ever seen by not doing anything and driving straight, some jerk off going about 90 flew past me on the left, tried to do a double lane change and clipped car which caused both of them to go spinning in different directions, hitting other cars, had i moved left or right I would have been involved, had I slammed on the brakes I would have been rear ended, so I coasted right through the middle of the carnage.
A valid tactic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsX0nRdAj9M

Restrictor-plate races are OSHA as gently caress, it's a big thing when they don't have a "the big one" at Daytona or Talladega.

Also, everything you know about how cars behave when bad poo poo happens kinda breaks down at 180+mph. A car gets sideways at that speed, it's an aerofoil, that's why a couple in that video flip, and they now have those flaps that pop out of the roof -- before the flaps, they'd really take off. Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE1-C-QCnlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBRgC_btW0&t=81s

Yes, it's the same guy doing it twice within a few months, he just got real unlucky. It's amazing more drivers don't die in NASCAR, but those things are built like tanks, the cage is visible in the second video of Rusty, after the car has shed its skin. Walking away from poo poo like that is routine, and that makes sense -- all that flipping bleeds off the energy slowly. Like parachutists say, "it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end." The only deaths on the track in NASCAR in the modern era (that I know of, and by modern era I mean full-cage cars as opposed to hopped-up street cars) were four guys in 2001-2002 that stuffed it into the wall at 200mph, and their heads popped like Rock-'Em-Sock-'Em Robots (I'm exaggerating a bit, but they all died from internal decapitation or some other neck vertebra coming unhinged.)

I watched Dale Earnhardt die live on TV. It's heartbreaking, not so much because he died (it happens in racing), but because the color commentator for TV was a longtime close friend of his, and listening to him talk about what's going on, and asking if his friend is okay, and his reactions as reports get worse, but powering through it and continuing the chat ... oof. Oh, and also the commentator's little brother won the race just as the crash happened, so he was crying with joy just before everybody realized Dale's wreck was worse than it looked. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. And also a clip of Dale Jr. sprinting toward the infield medical center. Oh, and the winner and #2 finisher worked for the guy that died, so at least there's that.

:nms:[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5v3pFco6xA:nms:

The in-car camera broke off its mount, they didn't exactly have modern gopros yet, but still, it was a pretty lightweight TV camera sending a radio signal.

Relentless posted:

Fastest response time EVER.

Related, I saw somebody in a Lexus cut off an ambulance with full sirens and lights on my way to work this morning.

The co-pilot of the ambulance got off a nice double bird and then appeared to be looking for pen and paper.

You DO NOT gently caress WITH the Fire Department. In NYC, they'll run your rear end over. Elsewhere, they'll write down your license plate and send a cop to your house. That's why cops have derpy electronic sirens and Fire has the Q siren and a horn more suited for a cargo ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vje_M9clbzY&t=9s

Edit: the Q2B is very OSHA in itself -- there have been lawsuits from firefighters deafened by it, and it's banned in NYC ... so most FDNY houses buy one a year because the head office confiscates it when the apparatus goes in for annual inspection.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 4, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chillbro Baggins posted:

You DO NOT gently caress WITH the Fire Department. In NYC, they'll run your rear end over.

They'll even ram cop cars if they're blocking their access
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JRU5JkD0fM

Russian bus drivers have pretty much the same attitude to traffic :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYGwRVMDRE

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I guess I am a Bad American but as far as I am concerned - Everyone involved with nascar needs a Hydrofluoric acid enema. Anything that southerners like that much has got to be bad.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/0mQq08s.gifv

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chillbro Baggins posted:

You DO NOT gently caress WITH the Fire Department.

I took perverse pleasure in smashing the front windows of a car parked in front of a hydrant once, when we were actively trying to fight an apartment fire.

I guess the bright rear end yellow hydrant, the paint on the curb and the huge loving X's painted on the street didn't clue that moron in that they shouldn't be parked there.

Word to the wise: we don't give a gently caress about your poo poo if you're blocking access to a hydrant, or anything else we need access to. We WILL destroy your car, and there's no way to be compensated because you were dumb enough to park there in the first place.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 4, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/f94YEON.gifv

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Vanagoon posted:

I guess I am a Bad American but as far as I am concerned - Everyone involved with nascar needs a Hydrofluoric acid enema. Anything that southerners like that much has got to be bad.

Nascar would be way more watchable if they had more road courses than Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zipperelli. posted:

Word to the wise: we don't give a gently caress about your poo poo if you're blocking access to a hydrant, or anything else we need access to. We WILL destroy your car, and there's no way to be compensated because you were dumb enough to park there in the first place.

Is this because they were parked illegally in front of the hydrant?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Being in front of the hydrant is inherently illegal.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3D4FN5cdZk

Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

GotLag posted:

Is this because they were parked illegally in front of the hydrant?

Well, the damage to the car would be a consequence of an illegal act (or criminally negligent omission) by the driver, and I'd imagine the fire fighters have emergency power to do whatever they need to to fight the fire, so yeah. Since the driver of the vehicle would be at fault and it's a criminal act as well, don't see why the fire department should compensate them. For that matter, I'm not sure insurance is obligated either, though that would obviously depend a lot on where this is.

Zipperelli. posted:

I took perverse pleasure in smashing the front windows of a car parked in front of a hydrant once, when we were actively trying to fight an apartment fire.

I guess the bright rear end yellow hydrant, the paint on the curb and the huge loving X's painted on the street didn't clue that moron in that they shouldn't be parked there.

Which is exactly how it ought to work. When it comes to the business of saving lives and possibly preventing massive property damage (adjacent buildings etc.) a relatively small amount of personal property damage shouldn't even register. I mean it sucks for whoever, but that's just part of living in society. Libertarians would apparently disagree though:

Because jesus christ how brokebrained do you have to be to be fine with someone flying a helicopter very poorly on the lawn next to your living room.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Nice piece of fish posted:

Because jesus christ how brokebrained do you have to be to be fine with someone flying a helicopter very poorly on the lawn next to your living room.

its funny because actual libertarians like the koch bros would have private security call the cops if someones helicopter was too loud next to their living room

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, the damage to the car would be a consequence of an illegal act (or criminally negligent omission) by the driver, and I'd imagine the fire fighters have emergency power to do whatever they need to to fight the fire, so yeah. Since the driver of the vehicle would be at fault and it's a criminal act as well, don't see why the fire department should compensate them. For that matter, I'm not sure insurance is obligated either, though that would obviously depend a lot on where this is.

Also firefighters really loving hate people who block hydrants and they take an ENORMOUS amount of joy in being able to legally smash the gently caress out of their poo poo:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Also don't try to fight firemen. I've responded as a cop to a few D&Ds where the fire or EMS got there first and a dude decides that getting beat to gently caress by 12 firefighters who spend all day working out and eating is a good option. I mean maybe they're right it is a better option than trusting us not to shoot them but it didn't look pleasant.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grem posted:

Also don't try to fight firemen. I've responded as a cop to a few D&Ds where the fire or EMS got there first and a dude decides that getting beat to gently caress by 12 firefighters who spend all day working out and eating is a good option. I mean maybe they're right it is a better option than trusting us not to shoot them but it didn't look pleasant.

What, you're trying to tell me this guy is supposed to be scary?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Aren't most NASCAR drivers also dependent on having someone on the side of the track to spot where they are in relation to other cars around them because their seats have such big head supports to keep them safe that they can't see whats happening to the side/behind them to an extent? I remember when one of the Australian supercar racers switched to NASCAR they showed the inside of what he was driving and he commented about the spotters which is basically the only way you can tell whats happening. No other motorsport makes cars have flip lesseners cause they don't tend to end up on their roof as often I guess or they build the cage strong enough to make it less of an issue

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Memento posted:

What, you're trying to tell me this guy is supposed to be scary?

Well, DC is better off with him showing up than a cop, but yea, still scary.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

We don't have that many above-ground fire hydrants and the ones we do have are almost never stand-alone posts as is common in the US so a co-worker who's in a volunteer fire brigade (which are a rather important part of fire-fighting around here) told me they once spent minutes searching for the hydrant with everyone shouting "we HAVE the right co-ordinates it's GOT to be here" at each other until someone noticed the fire engine was parked on top of it. Very professional. Very handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grem posted:

A clever bit of advice I heard is that if you are women and you are attached a night: shout 'Fire!'

It seems that more people will respond to that than if you called for the police or a generic 'help!'

And the worst case scenario is that someone calls the fire service and 12 big, strong men will turn up who probably have equally strong views on people who attack women.