Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tollymain posted:

isnt the brain-drinking basically his species way of making out

or at least was up until they found out humans were incredibly delicious

Yep, and Ruck (as per last page! "...oh well." for some reason I find that line creepier than anything he said in Juste) in particular gets romantically attached to the people he bites.

too bad his self control is quite bad, although long term exposure to efheby venom might not be healthy for the ol' brainmeats even if the snake is nice enough to not actually eat your memories after tasting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that line is really great, ruck is a hosed up son of a bitch

(ok more like son of a nothing but that doesnt roll off the tongue so easily)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Ruck is fun because the "evilness" in his nature is more fun than Murkoph's. Murkoph is the typical nihilistic hedonist thing borne from seeing behind the veil too much. Ruck is from a species that drinks brains and was originally created to be part of a perfect forever-world that never changed, so he's absolutely fascinated by all the crazy poo poo that these short-lived humans get up to.

he's an otherworldly horror awkwardly trying to fit in to mundane politics and, like, hang out socially with the people he sometimes eats, despite looking like a giant snake monster; Murkoph is basically just an edgelord rapist

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 9, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's like if Steve Bannon was Cthulhu in an ill-fitting suit this is inherently a superior narrative setup to sexy guro-chan uguu~~~

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's like if Steve Bannon was Cthulhu in an ill-fitting suit

So, like Steve Bannon?

(Someone had to say it)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Like actual Cthulhu, instead of a greasy nerd who really really wishes he was Cthulhu. There's no shortage of those guys in the comic either, which makes the monster hanging around meddling with their poo poo who genuinely appreciates humanity on its own terms all the better

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 9, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unsounded update page posted:

No one wants what you’re offering, snakeman Still, it must be terribly frustrating to have experienced for yourself just how happy a person can be relieved of their memories, and yet find everyone you meet so reluctant to give them up. Confounding creatures.

man ruck is a really, really good villain

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:haw:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:stonk:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

y i k e s

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wow he really cares :3:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Anybody catch the fact that the Queen referred to it as "our" plan, in terms of her and Roger?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Anybody catch the fact that the Queen referred to it as "our" plan, in terms of her and Roger?

Also Ruck says she and Roger woke him up.

It's certainly sounding like he volunteered for a creepy, slow, but presumably not particularly painful demise, to... overthrow the Aldish caste system?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

That's what it's looking like. The Queen doesn't care about the memory knife, just about mapping the soul. We know the Aldish khert is all hosed up and the cause of the caste system, and that Alds regard the caste system as a nationalist symbol (as can be seen in the propaganda in Duane's flashback.)

That said, I'm still trying to figure out where the silver eel fits into this plan. Ruck is 100% also biting General Bell, and I'm personally of the opinion that he's doing it at Sonorie's command - Sonorie might be running a total genocide plan on the Alds. Use the silver eel as the on-the-ground distraction, having Bell as a scapegoat for its use while she keeps her hands clean, then finish them off by using the Black Tongue's/Roger's/Ruck's experiment to permanently destroy the caste system of the survivors, shattering their culture.

The fact that the Shartes gave Ruck Chorley and Ruck killed him basically immediately indicates that, while he has his own agenda, he may be somewhat more invested in Sonorie than Jab Beadman thinks he is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He killed Chorley after Chorley had served his purpose of getting him an in with the Black Tongues. Sonorie is pretty transparently in the same boat of Ruck not finding her terribly interesting in her own right, just as an ultimately expendable means of getting access to power and knowledge.

it's tbh less clear exactly what she plans to do with the Khert than what the silver's for. The silver's a magic nuke that'll royally gently caress up wherever it lands; both sides of the coup in Cresce want to royally gently caress up Alderode.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 11, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The fact that the Shartes gave Ruck Chorley and Ruck killed him basically immediately indicates that, while he has his own agenda, he may be somewhat more invested in Sonorie than Jab Beadman thinks he is.
Chorley was boring. Just your average power-hungry bureaucrat, motivated by greed. Sonorie is interesting. She's a conflicted ruler willing to do monstrous things for a cause she believes is just - not only for the "Good" of her own people, but hypothetically (as people have speculated) for the "Good" of her enemy. Considering Ruck's obsession with human emotions and experiences, it's no real surprise who his favorites are (and who's disposable).

He also prefers Bastion, the melodramatic nudist with pangs of conscience, over Darkest Paul, the balding inferiority complex - despite the fact that Bastion's opposed to his plans while Paul's an asset.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
can we appreciate 'Darkest Paul' as a name for a second?

Ok seconds over.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darkest Paul was the perfect mallgoth name and I'm a little sad it's taken now

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
roger appears to be voluntarily involved

why do they need to vampire the knowledge out of him though

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I imagine Ruck can extract things about how Roger's mind works that Roger doesn't consciously know

still not at all clear why the whole song and dance with the marriage and all instead of just mindripping some POWs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he was in a position to hear and see a lot more than a random soldier i assume

also unrelated stuff from tumblr, a hearty lmao:

cope posted:

Murkoph wants out! Murkoph suffers from the same hunger that harasses Duane but Murkoph doesn’t care to try and ignore it. Want to know why he was naked when Sette found him? ‘Cause over the long years of his imprisonment he’d eaten his clothes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

some of the things cope posts on the unsounded q&a tumblr

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They want information about Alderode's Weird-rear end Khert That Causes Its Magically Caste System. Roger is not capable of GIVING this information about this magical caste system and indeed may not actually consciously know it, but is some sort of political rebel who does in fact want them to KNOW it.
Put together, you might very well need both a cooperative subject AND to force it out through memory drinking bullshit.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Assuming the current popular theory that Roger is making a willing sacrifice, consider how big of one it is.

He's of the aldish copper caste, so from the looks of him he probably has another 200-300 years to live, that he won't be seeing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also those memories of his that ruck's eating? they're gone, forever, lost to the khert. its unclear how important that actually is (the khert seems to just record human memories, whatever it does probably doesnt make a difference to the dead) but every culture believes the khert is their afterlife/reincarnation checkpoint. to them, ruck is literally eating their souls

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tollymain posted:

also those memories of his that ruck's eating? they're gone, forever, lost to the khert. its unclear how important that actually is (the khert seems to just record human memories, whatever it does probably doesnt make a difference to the dead) but every culture believes the khert is their afterlife/reincarnation checkpoint. to them, ruck is literally eating their souls

Sort of? They concept is their memories get left in the khert, but their soul moves on in reincarnation.

This is how they get memories to make pymarics and also why reincarnated people don't remember their past lives.

I suppose it is possible that Kasslynians might believe snake-man venom also messes up your soul, but I don't remember reading that.

As far as I can tell, the soul is all that would be left, the mind would be empty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
*polite SLAM* is the greatest thing

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I don't have a specific link on this for Tumblr, but I recall her saying that at the end - when you've finally made it outside the cycle of reincarnation as a Ssaelit or the world is over and everybody's gone to the Twins if you're a Gefendur - you're supposed to get all your memories back from the khert, of all the lives you've lived. (I think it's totally fair to go ahead and assume Roger is a Gefendur.) So even when everything's over and done, Roger's memories will be gone, and of all the lives his soul remembers living, Roger won't be one of them. It's complete self-annihilation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
IIRC people who die at sea are subject to the same fate, since the Khert only applies to the continent the story takes place on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
obviously the trick is to not die at sea and you'll be just fine sailing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
regardless of the nature of the soul etc, roger's looks like he's going through hell already lmao

what is driving that boy

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I hope no one has a fear of holes for these pages.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

regardless of the nature of the soul etc, roger's looks like he's going through hell already lmao

what is driving that boy

He says "women have never stirred me", so... tragic gay romance? Possibly involving forbidden inter-caste fraternizing?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So did he just fuckin disintegrate or is that a representation of his mental state.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Glagha posted:

So did he just fuckin disintegrate or is that a representation of his mental state.

Both, probably, but in the panels from Sonorie's perspective he kind of pops back into more-or-less normalcy with a nasty bite wound

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 16, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hes not desintegrating physically but honestly that seems like itd be a preferable alternative

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tollymain posted:

hes not desintegrating physically but honestly that seems like itd be a preferable alternative

Not to worry. It'll be over soon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

And back to Sette showing her respect for Tirna in the best way she knows how.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Ruffles is adorable, so she's obviously going to die :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Duane might be a rotting zombie, but he's still a dad. :dadjoke: