Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I used to always put my hands at about 10 & 2 because my steering wheel had like extra large grips there, the wheel was thicker to better fjt your hands. These days my steering wheel lacks that feature so I put my hands fairly close to the steering wheel buttons (gotta be able to make an emergency call, for safety) which puts my hands just slightly below 9 & 3. I could not imagine liking 4 & 8, but push pull turning is a technique I used to practice when I drove for a living, I think I still do it in my personal car but I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
One elbow at 9 because its hard to hit those excellent curve balls and gym spins with one hand

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Brain fart. I'll hand in my englishman card.

Your penance is 1 week delivering post in Milton Keynes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Well to be honest someone from a country used to round-abouts would recognize it as one, but from what I read they're rare in the US so it does need signs and markings. Would it be hard to even add some road paint, like dashed lines?

Actually Massachusetts has quite a few rotaries (we even have our own name for them), and most of them have been around quite a while, but people are just stupid.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Actually Massachusetts has quite a few rotaries (we even have our own name for them), and most of them have been around quite a while, but people are just stupid.

No poo poo. Ask me about growing up on Cape Cod, and now commuting from Plymouth to the Cape for work. People just don't know how to do them. Unfortunately, for work, I have to utilize the Bourne Rotary area. I've learned the ways around to avoid actually using the rotary but from Memorial Day to Labor Day the entire area is just a giant traffic jam with a circle in the middle of it. At least at the Sagamore bridge they smartened up and just took the rotary out with that flyover project. The only unfortunate part is that they are still cramming more lanes of traffic into fewer lanes of traffic so the bridge still backs up every weekend without fail. So they spent 10's of millions of dollars to reduce traffic only to still have traffic it's just merge traffic instead of not knowing how, when, or why to yield, go, or which lane of the rotary to be in. At least it is easy to use during the non-peak season so call it a 40/60 success?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

These are the truckers you share the road with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCPE2gKnz58

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Honestly though after watching that Mythbusters episode back in...2004? about the airbags ripping people's thumbs off, I've always driven at 9 and 3, with my thumbs up on the wheel. Before that it was my left hand at 10 and my right hand on the crossbar, but that's a recipe for punching yourself in the face when an airbag deploys.

My boss' daughter actually did get a broken arm from her airbag. She was blowing the horn to try to wake up some dipshit that did a no-look backup at high speed into the front of her 96ish (it was a new car, at the time) Cavalier at her college. Triggered the airbag, broke her right forearm. Luckily, witnesses verified that she was hard on the brakes, and had nowhere to go and no time to do anything else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah airbags don't gently caress around. I got bruised ribs when it pushed my arm into my chest.

I wonder how many teeth have been lost from airbags launching cell phones down people's throats.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

xzzy posted:

Yeah airbags don't gently caress around. I got bruised ribs when it pushed my arm into my chest.

I wonder how many teeth have been lost from airbags launching cell phones down people's throats.

Not enough, for my taste. I am thinking about starting a Youtube channel from my helmet/dash cam vids. I would call it, "Drunk, Or Phone?". I passed a guy on the way home from work about half an hour ago that I nearly regretted passing. As I sat at the light, surrounded by cars, I saw him barrelling toward me. had I noticed he had changed lanes, I would have been in a different one. He did stop in time, though. This time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Not enough, for my taste. I am thinking about starting a Youtube channel from my helmet/dash cam vids. I would call it, "Drunk, Or Phone?".
SMIDSY vs squid-sy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Real pro tip: I was chatting with some firemen and they say the first place to look to determine the cause of the accident is see who has their cellphone on the dash up against the windscreen.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

InitialDave posted:

SMIDSY vs squid-sy?

You are hired as my Urban Dictionary poet. Don't get excited, it does not pay well.

xzzy posted:

Real pro tip: I was chatting with some firemen and they say the first place to look to determine the cause of the accident is see who has their cellphone on the dash up against the windscreen.

I have heard similar things, and was thinking that I hope phone records are looked at when the clown ahead of me causes the inevitable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If your steering wheel isn't a pair of vise grips clamped to the steering column then you're doing it wrong.

Get a load of Mister Moneybags here with two vise grips. :jerkbag:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I learned thumbs out from driving my old Toyota 4x4 with no power steering on the trail.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Это люди, с которыми вы делитесь

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Это люди, с которыми вы делитесь

The number of times I've wanted to do that...

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Following a driver with out-of-state numberplate this morning, about to pass a small T junction - both roads have one lane of traffic each way, and there are tiny... I don't know the proper term? Shortcuts on both sides of the T for people turning who don't have to cross traffic.

They'd already been doing maybe 2/3rds of the speed limit so something was suspicious. The driver indicates and drifts calmly into the incoming lane, maybe thinking it's a turning lane, then swerves back when they realise. Having gone just past the junction at this point, they come to a stop anyway, indicate, wait for a clear spot and take a sharp turn into the shortcut meant for traffic coming the other way, just managing to squeeze around in one go.

Even for "rush hour" here it was hardly an inconvenience, but at least it was more creative than the typical bad driver who is tolerable unless you want to get past them. I wish I'd fixed my dash cam though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When can we replace flashing-light crosswalks with actual red signals? Because apparently people aren't getting the seriousness of crosswalks. If I have time to recognize that the crosswalk is active, stop, and then judge that you're a moron who's going to blow through the crosswalk from behind me, YOU HAD PLENTY OF GODDAMN TIME TO STOP.

You don't get to play fast and loose with pedestrians' lives. This guy actually even did the right thing and got off his bicycle, and here your dumb rear end is just cruising down the street fat, dumb and happy, not paying attention to a goddamn thing. Luckily the pedestrian anticipated fuckbrain's stupidity, and opted to not cross the street until he saw all traffic had come to a complete stop.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm not too bad with road rage anymore but I've slammed my fist down on many a car hood/trunk in my time. Pedestrians in a crosswalk have the right of way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

xzzy posted:

My worry is about my glasses being blown into my face as glass shrapnel.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Glasses are more likely to go flying off your face instead of being smashed into it if the airbag is doing its job. They are generally not aimed directly your head to avoid breaking your neck.

E: Unless you're this dummy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9aCwR6zVY

EE: This is the crash test human you share a road with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YB6sPVJHj0

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 4, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Hopefully there's one less prick that will stop road hogging the passing lane in future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXntedEErmo

Still, stupid cop that wants to bring the passing lane to a stop while he yells out the slow prick. Crash investigation unit :lol: It's one way to keep employed, start a crash on the highway by parking up in the fast lane.
The guy shouldn't have pulled over on that side of the road but the cop should have just kept going and pulled him over on the left side when safe to do so.
Every time I have to come to a sudden stop on the freeway or highway I get really worried and expect to be smashed up the rear pretty hard. If I was dash cam guy I would be making GBS threads myself.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 4, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PenisMonkey posted:

Oh we talking about ignoring yield signs? Sorry for the loudness and a very bad word.

https://youtu.be/OaBuL0eOV6Q

Is that the Shallowford Rd to I-85 South interchange near Chamblee/North Druid Hills? Because that has happened to me there many, many, many times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Glasses are more likely to go flying off your face instead of being smashed into it if the airbag is doing its job. They are generally not aimed directly your head to avoid breaking your neck.

Yep, my glasses ended up on the dash. Which is a weird experience, you just got your poo poo rocked, doing a systems check to see if your body still works and you realize you can't see poo poo. So then you flail around trying to find your glasses.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I'm not too bad with road rage anymore but I've slammed my fist down on many a car hood/trunk in my time. Pedestrians in a crosswalk have the right of way.

Absolutely. I don't understand why people will corner at 5 km/h, take forever to accelerate, and go 10 under the limit, but where pedestrians are concerned IT'S ABSOLUTELY VITAL I SAVE THESE TEN SECONDS RIGHT GODDAMN NOW GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Ripoff posted:

Is that the Shallowford Rd to I-85 South interchange near Chamblee/North Druid Hills? Because that has happened to me there many, many, many times.

Yup.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

Absolutely. I don't understand why people will corner at 5 km/h, take forever to accelerate, and go 10 under the limit, but where pedestrians are concerned IT'S ABSOLUTELY VITAL I SAVE THESE TEN SECONDS RIGHT GODDAMN NOW GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY!

I've had the opposite where some people will randomly just walk themselves across a busy road with no crosswalk, without looking, and expect people to stop. Or idiots that walk out from blind spots (like between parked cars) without looking and then act all shocked that they almost got flattened by a truck. Both sides suck and the only solutions are either (a) putting retractable bollards around every crosswalk or (b) making it legal to paste jaywalkers and charge their family with negligence for raising a retard.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I've had the opposite where some people will randomly just walk themselves across a busy road with no crosswalk, without looking, and expect people to stop. Or idiots that walk out from blind spots (like between parked cars) without looking and then act all shocked that they almost got flattened by a truck. Both sides suck and the only solutions are either (a) putting retractable bollards around every crosswalk or (b) making it legal to paste jaywalkers and charge their family with negligence for raising a retard.

I would be ok with both of these. That said, I actually prefer when pedestrians at busy intersections jay-walk in the crosswalk with the lights rather than hitting the walk button. It's generally safe to do so as long as you follow the light cycle and watch for right turns (who are usually required to stop for you anyway). The walk lights take so long, plus a lot of folks hit the walk button, then do what I described above, forcing everyone to wait for 30 seconds for no reason.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 4, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fermented Tinal posted:

Can confirm. When my driver side bags blew in my last WRX, my glasses ended up between my feet in perfect condition. I was already disoriented and that was the last place I’d have expected them to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I would be ok with both of these. That said, I actually prefer when pedestrians at busy intersections jay-walk in the crosswalk with the lights rather than hitting the walk button. It's generally safe to do so as long as you follow the light cycle and watch for right turns (who are usually required to stop for you anyway). The walk lights take so long, plus a lot of folks hit the walk button, then do what I described above, forcing everyone to wait for 30 seconds for no reason.

There's an intersection on my commute where I love when someone hits the crosswalk button because the way it changes the light pattern means I get another 30 seconds in a cycle to make my left.

Seriously fucks everyone else over though.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Welcome to Spokane! I don't see this *every* day... because some days I don't leave the house. :smithicide:

The two biggest catagories of offenders here are 1) hobos (homeless/addicts/mentally ill/entitled assholes/phonezoners/select multiple) and 2) students (see previous secondary choices, but strike "homeless"). After a crossing/near miss, I've overheard quite a few discussing what they thought their payout was going to be when they did get hit. (Mostly hobos, but some students.)

I jaywalk all the time, but I also pay attention to my surroundings, waive my right-of-way about 90% of the time to get vehicles out of my way both for safety and efficiency, make informed judgements about when and where to cross, and actually *cross*, not wander around in the traffic lanes for no discernable reason. (Oddly enough, every time I've come close to being hit? Legit crosswalk/walk signal/traffic signal/signage and motherfuckers not paying attention/being aggressive pricks.)

Law should be "Did you willfully and knowingly place yourself in a dangerous situation? If so, :fuckoff:"

(Final line can above should go for motor vehicles as well. "You tried merging into 65MPH freeway traffic at 30? :byewhore: Next case?")

(Also applies to bikies as well, but with lower overall numbers, and skewed more towards hobos than students. Much more rare to hear payout discussions, as well.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Welcome to Spokane! I don't see this *every* day... because some days I don't leave the house. :smithicide:

Not entirely unrelated, but: what is Spokane's deal and why was it always, ALWAYS on COPS for the weirdest poo poo ever?

We have hobos here, but I've never seen them try to get hit by a car for insurance money. Is there something in the Spokane water supply?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PT6A posted:

Not entirely unrelated, but: what is Spokane's deal and why was it always, ALWAYS on COPS for the weirdest poo poo ever?

We have hobos here, but I've never seen them try to get hit by a car for insurance money. Is there something in the Spokane water supply?

I've never been but everyone I know who has, and everything I've read, just makes it seem like a big city full of the trashiest white people you can imagine.

As far as COPS appearances it's basically the white, west coast Paterson, NJ.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^^ I don't know if I would call spokane a big city. It is the largest city surrounded by a lot of nothing and tiny towns. So lots of rednecks and poverty.

PT6A posted:

Meth.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 4, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

As far as COPS appearances it's basically the white, west coast Paterson, NJ.

It's like someone distributed a book called "Fun New Activities to Try While Nude and On Meth"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

When can we replace flashing-light crosswalks with actual red signals? Because apparently people aren't getting the seriousness of crosswalks. If I have time to recognize that the crosswalk is active, stop, and then judge that you're a moron who's going to blow through the crosswalk from behind me, YOU HAD PLENTY OF GODDAMN TIME TO STOP.

I was in Las Vegas recently and crossed this crosswalk a dozen or so times over the course of the weekend: https://goo.gl/maps/VVULw4rqMTR2

It was great, if traffic was heavy you could get a safe crossing in a reasonable amount of time, and thanks to the clear visibility and center island it was easy to safely jaywalk if traffic was light and you didn't feel like holding anyone up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

wolrah posted:

I was in Las Vegas recently and crossed this crosswalk a dozen or so times over the course of the weekend: https://goo.gl/maps/VVULw4rqMTR2

It was great, if traffic was heavy you could get a safe crossing in a reasonable amount of time, and thanks to the clear visibility and center island it was easy to safely jaywalk if traffic was light and you didn't feel like holding anyone up.

Yes, that's what I want! So this does exist!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slurry_curry posted:

^^^ I don't know if I would call spokane a big city. It is the largest city surrounded by a lot of nothing and tiny towns. So lots of rednecks and poverty.

The surrounding tiny towns are far worse. I lived in Colfax for a while and call the Tri-Cities home now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bunch of twats act like twats at a twat gathering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJAhAlVZfg

gently caress these people.