Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
SD's success or lack thereof seems to mostly depend on how much of their policy and rhetoric is appropriated by M. If M continues their slide towards populism and nationalism, they might siphon a lot of SD voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Y think S will have the same effect? 🌞

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Y think S will have the same effect? 🌞

Given their latest rhetorics and SDs strength among LO members, they sure are aiming for it.
Too bad reality is kinda in the way given their behavior in 2015 and the latest deal with MP with regards to the Afghans. Politics is a confidence area, and the established parties have some catching up to the confidence SD have in certain issues.

On election chat, apparently S have targeted twitter as one of their major propaganda platforms for the election.
To my mind that doesn’t seem like that smart, but I am happily proven wrong.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Beeswax posted:

SD's success or lack thereof seems to mostly depend on how much of their policy and rhetoric is appropriated by M. If M continues their slide towards populism and nationalism, they might siphon a lot of SD voters.

In Denmark this worked the opposite, as Danish Peoples Party just kept being a little more 'hard on immigration' (and a little more overtly racist). That is, because they are basically ur-facists (even if most do not identify as such), there was basically no limit to how far they'd go, once they'd dragged others in their direction. Which has now culminated in a disgusting competition about who can be the absolutely worst assholes, with DPP obviously coming out the big winners. It happened sorta gradually, as the media and political debates became more and more focused on it. Despite it's objectively marginal influence on danish society, it came to play a larger and larger role, meaning more and more people became convinced that immigration was/is one of the biggest problems in society, and biggest 'threats' to Denmark, in a sorta perpetual, autopoietic, hate/fear/feces system.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Bizarre as it may sound - I don't think your average Swede voter will go back to M. Maybe it's just my filter bubble, but I get the feeling that there actually is a serious miasmic hangover from neoliberalism. Outside of a few pals in finance, nobody I know is looking back the Reinfeldt-years in a rosy manner. SDs pivot to suckings näringslivets dick is just not obvious enough for people to recognize that it is the same snake oil.

I think SD could stand to gain a lot from peddling that "Folkhemsnostalgi", of course with deported migrants as the sole currency for acquiring that Ordning & Reda

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Given their latest rhetorics and SDs strength among LO members, they sure are aiming for it.
Too bad reality is kinda in the way given their behavior in 2015 and the latest deal with MP with regards to the Afghans. Politics is a confidence area, and the established parties have some catching up to the confidence SD have in certain issues.

On election chat, apparently S have targeted twitter as one of their major propaganda platforms for the election.
To my mind that doesn’t seem like that smart, but I am happily proven wrong.

Yeah thats what im saying. It probably won’t work

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Funny how an organised white supremacist expelled from a school can threaten to return to kill his teachers and fellow students because they're "sandniggers", resulting in massive police presence at the school with snipers and poo poo, and the story barely makes a blip in the news. His father, who shares his politics, previously threatened Uffe Elbæk's life. He's being represented by Rasmus Paludan of the party Stram Kurs.

Imagine the news cycle if that guy had been an islamist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: Västlänken is back with a vengeance.

Retarded Goatee posted:

SD is going to score 20-25%, if they fail to do so I will record myself reading a choice selection of Heinz Hynkel posts and post it here.

Is that a toxx?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 18, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Retarded Goatee posted:

Bizarre as it may sound - I don't think your average Swede voter will go back to M. Maybe it's just my filter bubble, but I get the feeling that there actually is a serious miasmic hangover from neoliberalism. Outside of a few pals in finance, nobody I know is looking back the Reinfeldt-years in a rosy manner. SDs pivot to suckings näringslivets dick is just not obvious enough for people to recognize that it is the same snake oil.

I think SD could stand to gain a lot from peddling that "Folkhemsnostalgi", of course with deported migrants as the sole currency for acquiring that Ordning & Reda

I would say there is a massive distrust among old S&M voters who turned to SD that stops them from going back. Not surprising given the last 4 years.
They both used to contain a fair amount of people critical to immigration and these have now found a better party for them. Remember, conservative voters are not always that happy about neoliberalism.

For my part, I am guessing Uppdrag Gransknings reportage about homeless retired people is one of those things that will have a significant impact, although not so in media. Retired people is our largest voting group and traditionally s have a lot of voters here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

S & M both carry the legacy of having lovely governments in recent memory which is going to make it really difficult for dismayed voters to go back to them. I mean especially when we look at Gothenburg, Stockholm and Malmö the only clear trends is that V, C and 'alternatives' (insert SD, F! and your local party here) is the new hotness.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lol for Fi.
They had their chance last election.

C have already had their high as the polls show.

V is hardly a new hotness, but interestingly they have been very stable poll wise. Ie the implementation of their politics this term haven’t gained them more voters but they haven’t lost any. They are the clear winners of this term.

As for SD, a party that have been in riksdagen for 8 years isn’t really a new hotness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

V is hardly a new hotness, but interestingly they have been very stable poll wise. Ie the implementation of their politics this term haven’t gained them more voters but they haven’t lost any. They are the clear winners of this term.

Talking the big cities. Traditionally S voting districts have rapidly been shifting to V in these last 4 years, irregardless of whether V is in a ruling coalition or in opposition.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Revelation 2-13 posted:

In Denmark this worked the opposite, as Danish Peoples Party just kept being a little more 'hard on immigration' (and a little more overtly racist). That is, because they are basically ur-facists (even if most do not identify as such), there was basically no limit to how far they'd go, once they'd dragged others in their direction. Which has now culminated in a disgusting competition about who can be the absolutely worst assholes, with DPP obviously coming out the big winners. It happened sorta gradually, as the media and political debates became more and more focused on it. Despite it's objectively marginal influence on danish society, it came to play a larger and larger role, meaning more and more people became convinced that immigration was/is one of the biggest problems in society, and biggest 'threats' to Denmark, in a sorta perpetual, autopoietic, hate/fear/feces system.

There are a few things to keep in mind when trying to make some sense about the alt-right/identitarian/etnonationalist/etc groups.

1. They don't particularly believe in PC speak. They don't particularly care about not offending anyone. That's seen as the kind of thing leftists care about; they don't feel obligated to use softer words for what they're trying to say. For many that's a liberating and attractive attribute of these movements. Groups that use legalese and (semi-)respectable language like "we would like to implement more careful vetting and focus on finding highly skilled multitalented immigrants" are actually seen with more suspicion, compared to if they just said "no blacks".

2. There's an unwritten rule saying "don't punch the guy to your right" that's unobvious for a bystander, but critical to keep in mind. It means that if another alt-right person has more extreme views than they themselves have, then the unwritten rule is not to criticise them, even if they don't agree with them. Each one of them has plenty of critics as is. In other words they're not picky about who they consider allies, as long as they are to the right of their own position on the spectrum. On one hand that's supposed to reduce infighting, ease making alliances and so forth. On the other hand, "normies" have a helluva time understanding what the extent of someone's radical views actually are; how deep the rabbithole actually goes.

For an accurate picture then, it's better to focus on what someone actually says/believes their views are, and not so much on who they associate with or what words they use.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Talking the big cities. Traditionally S voting districts have rapidly been shifting to V in these last 4 years, irregardless of whether V is in a ruling coalition or in opposition.

Sounds interesting, got any statistics for it? V got that thing about being a collectivist party full of independents (VBK quote) nailed down, which I guess fits bigger cities.

S are also fighting a losing battle against SD in the smaller cities, traditionally one of their strongholds.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm pleasently surprised that the labor dispute in Denmark ended with a bloodless victory for labor. Maybe it happened precisely because there's at most 13 months until the next election?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yes, a "victory" where teachers get hosed once more, because 18,000 of them quitting their jobs again will be sustainable in the long run.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I too remember the musketeer oath of one for all, all for LO

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, outside Dennis showing everyone that solidarity is something the weak cling to when they are unable to get their own results, and the unsatisfying commission for the teachers, it ended ok.

In other news, Denmark got a complete douche-bag - mostly known for being a reality tv-star - as minister of science and education. He, of course, don't think the Danish universities are 'elitarian' enough. It's like they're actively trying to kill the few remaining things in the university sector they haven't turbo-hosed yet. No-one, except the absolutely worst people in management and economics, think this would be a good idea.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nah, it's pretty crap and the model is stone loving dead, but they probably read that Marx bit about capital being dead labour and wanted in on the action.

Anyway, speaking of worthless leftists, Enhedslisten is putting their position to good use in Copenhagen. Multiplying parking fees by literally a hundred without income differentation is a much better social policy than ensuring terminally ill people aren't abused to death.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SplitSoul posted:

Nah, it's pretty crap and the model is stone loving dead, but they probably read that Marx bit about capital being dead labour and wanted in on the action.

Anyway, speaking of worthless leftists, Enhedslisten is putting their position to good use in Copenhagen. Multiplying parking fees by literally a hundred without income differentation is a much better social policy than ensuring terminally ill people aren't abused to death.

I'm already paying 1001 DKK/må for parking in Ørestad.

Ah I see, no more cheap street parking. I'm already paying the higher price anyhow. Shrug.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 4, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Things are starting to feel pretty drat danish this election. :sigh:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Things are starting to feel pretty drat danish this election. :sigh:

Imo we are roughly 10 years behind Denmark with respect to politics.
The race to the bottom in terms of immigration politics is running this election as evidenced by the proposals of S, M and SD, who are together gathering 60-70% of the voters. This happened in Denmark like 10-15 years ago. The immigration friendly vote is like 20% given V, MP and C s polls.

The continuing decline of S is also a part of it (S loses 1% of the vote each election due to voters literally dying off) but more of a European trend. The left will continue to gain 10-15% of the voters but if you are not connected to mainstream politics through S I have a hard time seeing them having much input.

Ideological purity is not something you gain voters on as evidenced by V not rapidly picking up lost S voters and SD shedding their old extremists.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think that remains to be seen in the next election. We're heading for the motherload of Swedish recessions, full-on 90's hysteria, and it's going to be really bad for both S & M. But yeah as for this election it's increasingly looking like we'll get:

20% Liberal Value Pull (V, C and potentially L) *Increasing
46% Triangulation Euphoria (M & S) *Decreasing
18% Conservative Value Pull (SD) *Increasing
14% The 'Oh no our parties are dying' Bloc (KD, MP and L) *Rapidly decreasing
2% No Chancers (FI) *Somehow still in this

To me this election feels a lot like the 2015 UK election on repeat, just with S running in opposition to its own government which would have been a little too 4th dimensional chess for even Cameron to pull off. I was meeting with a few S activists and politicians yesterday and morale is at an all-time low. Like there's not even an attempt to internally justify what the government is doing anymore, just a lot of sighing.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 5, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

S being in opposition to themselves is the normal thing as seen in history.

Something missed by all the theoreticians with respect to the election is that a middle coalition with S, C and L is highly unlikely due to the massive amounts of broken promises that would entail.
Immigration, labor law, schools, taxes and so on, especially given the rhetorics of this term. Also, what happened to MP should give pause for thought.

I am just happy that Annie Lööf is going to be in a world of poo poo after this election, basically regardless of the outcome.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Scandinavian Politics: Just a lot of sighing

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Enhedslisten golden boy Pelle Dragsted celebrated Marx' 200th birthday by more or less claiming that he invented the welfare state. Welcome to left populism.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Edit felpost

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

Edit felpost

New thread title

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good name for a fictional writer of complaint letters

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Genius election strategy there guys. :discourse::tif:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 18, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The government wants to force children as young 1 year old into special ghetto daycare where they'll be kept awake as much as possible and forced to learn about Constitution Day, Christmas, Easter, etc. There's always more and it's always worse.

https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/ECE10615797/laekket-notat-afsloerer-detaljer-om-tvangsvuggestuer/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Genius election strategy there guys. :discourse::tif:

Losing voters to both V and SD is quite an achievement.
But not surprising, given the spread of political opinion within S.
Seems like classic S method of opposing your own politics and have the base follow doesn't work as well nowadays.
It is also a consequence of S disparate political messages this term.

Interestingly there is a drop for C as well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A political commentator noted that the last time a party leader presided over this kind of fall was AKB and Juholt.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

SD will get over 20% for sure.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

A political commentator noted that the last time a party leader presided over this kind of fall was AKB and Juholt.

VBK noted that it was probably not so good from a strategic point of view for S to have their ideological debate with regards to immigration 4 months before the election.

Wild Horses posted:

SD will get over 20% for sure.

Which is kinda irrelevant, since it doesn't change anything with regards to the political situation.
The possibility of S collapsing is a much, much bigger thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: Västlänken is back with a vengeance.

Is that a toxx?

I cannot believe that I missed this but yes, :toxx:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

I cannot believe that I missed this but yes, :toxx:

Whoa I know what party I'm voting for.

Not SD obviously come on guys

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hi, I'm the V voter sitting and cursing up a storm over our bigger brother's insane flip-flapping.

Seriously, gently caress SD. That's all I feel I need to say in any context they're brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well at this pace little brother will be big brother before we know it.