Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Good job on the egg, love the colour in the sides too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Raikiri posted:

Made scotch eggs:

Those colours, wow. That plate is a work of art!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No fancy plating, sorry:

Masoor dal with spinach

Aloo gajar

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Ranter posted:

getting the right consistency of yolk in a scotch egg is not easy, and that looks loving brilliant.

Stangg posted:

Good job on the egg, love the colour in the sides too.

paraquat posted:

Those colours, wow. That plate is a work of art!

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be making them again, the pickled red onion (super simple) was pretty nice as a side too.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No fancy plating, sorry:

Masoor dal with spinach

Masoor Dal is delicious, did you follow a specific recipe?

Edit: I also made pan seared salmon, samphire and a honey, butter and lemon dressing:

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raikiri posted:

Masoor Dal is delicious, did you follow a specific recipe?
Nope. Just cooked up some dal, fried up some spices, then some onions, ginger, and garlic, and mixed it all together with some spinach.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Huge portion of spicy lamb kofta, salad and pickled red onion, cabbage and chillis.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I used up some random dough I'd made for gozleme and a steak from the freezer to make a calzone because I'm drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iajanus posted:

I used up some random dough I'd made for gozleme and a steak from the freezer to make a calzone because I'm drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

You have chosen....wisely.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
thai red curry shrimp & veg over brown rice

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Salad.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Super good local beef, griddled onions, brown tomatoes, sauerkraut-flavored cucumber pickles, and smoked provolone on a homemade bun with French dressing and remoulade.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Some of the latest dinner things

Homemade chicken, mushroom and romano tortellini in chicken broth.

Had some vegetarians over for dinner: tomato and goats cheese galette

Shiitake and halloumi fritters with Escalavida (which was a new thing for me to try and it was very very delicious), my first time trying to deep fry things, the mixture wasn't dry enough to quenelle so it was very hard to make the fritters and not overcook the edges :(

Back to meat, pork fillet stuffed with mushrooms, walnuts and cheese (Quark because id never used it before, going for a firmer cheese next time), jersey royals sauteed with lemon thyme, spinach and red onion with balsamic vinegar. This was my own recipe, I was attempting a roulade but clearly didn't get the pork thin enough, and yes its been pointed out that I inadvertently made it look like a teddy bear.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Stangg posted:

yes its been pointed out that I inadvertently made it look like a teddy bear.

Thank gently caress it wasn't just me who saw that

That all looks incredibly delicious!

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

iajanus posted:

This looks like something unbelievably delicious I'd get from a food truck at 3am while trashed and then never be able to find that truck again

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Catfishenfuego posted:

This looks like something unbelievably delicious I'd get from a food truck at 3am while trashed and then never be able to find that truck again

It was very tasty, with tomato pesto sauce and like four random cheeses I found in the fridge. Also the steak was a very nice eye fillet cooked in a butter baste to medium rare before being sliced and added to the drunken mess. Add in some chilli slices from the Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate tree in the garden and it was a wonderful experiment.

I always love having some leftover dough balls in the freezer for random pizza/calzone nights.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I did a thing.

Sous vide is meat magic. I do wish I could get my griddle hotter, though. The flame on a gas grill isn't close enough to the griddle to get it into the offensively-hot region it needs to be to really sear the gently caress out of a steak.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Excellent crust my friend. That there is a proper sear.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
drat son. I really need to get a sous vide thing that looks great. I'd go a little more rare but drat.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Croatoan posted:

drat son. I really need to get a sous vide thing that looks great. I'd go a little more rare but drat.

Here's some more motivation to get with the sous vide program. I made this a few days ago in the magic water bath, I wish the pics were better, but you get the point. Also, making a good crust is a smoky business folks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Croatoan posted:

My dinner guests were a bit skittish about that, so I bumped two degrees up from where I like my steak. It was about halfway between where we like our steaks, so a good compromise. They agreed to try it at my temperature next time, because they liked it so much.

Also, I asked the butcher for “slightly” thicker than their standard display cut, and he made me 28oz monster-steaks. They were ridiculous.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BBQ over coals Chicken Shawarma...came out great.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that looks awesome.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Gatts posted:

BBQ over coals Chicken Shawarma...came out great.

That looks gorgeous

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's really simple to make too, it's all in the yogurt marinade which I did for 6+ hours. The cook time went a little longer than I thought, 15+ minutes, and I used tenderloins instead of full breast or thighs.

There's a tzatziki sauce from Costco that I'd recommend, I think it's Hannah's and its very good and fresh tasting.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

It's really simple to make too, it's all in the yogurt marinade which I did for 6+ hours. The cook time went a little longer than I thought, 15+ minutes, and I used tenderloins instead of full breast or thighs.

There's a tzatziki sauce from Costco that I'd recommend, I think it's Hannah's and its very good and fresh tasting.

If you're making a yogurt marinade for the chicken why not just make the tzatziki? It's really simple and much better than that poo poo in a tub.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you're making a yogurt marinade for the chicken why not just make the tzatziki? It's really simple and much better than that poo poo in a tub.

Agreed I should have.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made a scramble for dinner. It had:

Large onion
1lb ground beef
Green pepper
5 potatoes
Half a bag of frozen corn I ran under water for five minutes
Like 8 cloves of garlic, half minced half rough chopped
Salt & pepper
Cayenne
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage

I boiled the potatoes and let them cool in the fridge
I sautéed the onions, stirring constantly, for like five minutes then I added the herbs and garlic for about 2 minutes of stirring.

Then I added the ground beef I let it get on its way to brown and started picking the large bits of herbs out as I stirred them to the top.

Next I added everything else and cooked for a few more minute until everything was nice and hot and crisp.

It was good, but I’d go harder with the spices, it needs more heat. I’d also dial down the size of the green pepper I use and try roasting the potatoes next time, and possibly adding them sooner. They were mushy instead of crispy like I wanted. Maybe pre sear them in the pan and then just warm them up?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Then I added the ground beef I let it get on its way to brown
either your lighting is awful or the ground meat is way undercooked and gray

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Elizabethan Error posted:

either your lighting is awful or the ground meat is way undercooked and gray

I have atrocious lighting in my apartment.

Also, I made strawberry cobbler.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I would heartily gobble yer cobble, me hearties

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have atrocious lighting in my apartment.

Also, I made strawberry cobbler.

Oooh, that looks good. Got a recipe?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Oooh, that looks good. Got a recipe?

http://divascancook.com/fresh-strawberry-cobbler-recipe-easy-dessert/

I used 4 cups of strawberries; I have a shitload. I did everything else the same. I took it out of the over at about 40, but probably should have gone the full 45.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Beautiful. I should give that a try, thanks.

Though I hope I can get some strawberries from a local farmers market this summer. Those are always better than store bought.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Iajwife is almost ready to pop and started having cookie cravings so I tried making them for the first time in my life.

They taste better than they look

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Slow-cooked chuck roast over sauteed mushrooms and chard with garlic, shallots, and white wine vinegar, with gorgonzola polenta and jus. It was amazing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gorgonzola polenta is now on my list of things to cook while my stinky-cheese-averse wife is out of town, thanks!

Kenji's carne asada marinade is :discourse:

Poblano and black bean quesadilla, guac with a couple tomatillos, fruit salad with chile & lime

Forgot the salsa for the photo.

Made everything from scratch, down to the bacon fat tortillas. Took a couple hours Saturday and several hours Sunday but drat worth it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

iajanus posted:

Iajwife is almost ready to pop and started having cookie cravings so I tried making them for the first time in my life.

They taste better than they look

They look tasty! Two things could make them more aesthetic:
- Beat the sugar and the butter for wayyy longer than you think you need to. If you have a stand mixer do it for five full minutes. You want the butter to lighten in color by two shades. By really beating air into the butter, your cookies get a finer, more tender crumb.

- Try resting the dough in the fridge for as long as you can stand - overnight is the absolute best but even an hour will have an impact.
The uneven browning should go away and they should spread more evenly.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Last night the wife and I did sabich (Israeli egg and eggplant pita sandwich). There were enough leftovers today for one more that I made for lunch.

We used sriracha since we didn't have amba, and it was a very nice contribution. I also had some tortillas and decided to try a sabich taco.

Ultimately, the mushiness of the egg and eggplant didn't play that well with the firmness of the tortillas, but it was a worthy try.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Made everything from scratch, down to the bacon fat tortillas. Took a couple hours Saturday and several hours Sunday but drat worth it.

Can I ask what took so long? None of that seems too time consuming unless the tortillas gave you hell.

I have a bunch of herbs and tomato plants so I compulsively make pesto and sauce out of them. My lighting also sucks as much as my photography but the pizzas are drat good.

https://gfycat.com/AnotherBetterArcticseal

Edit: I'd like to point out the contrast between tortillas of the posts adjacent to this one. Warm your tortillas people.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tacos last night

breaded & baked fish, quick pickled red onion, cilantro lime yogurt, tomato, avocado, shaved carrot, more cilantro