Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steakandchips posted:

gently caress em.

I'd have left after fifteen minutes.

They were probably sadly at a bar across the street betting how long he'd stay :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

potato of destiny posted:

Things pissing me off:
- certificates
- renewing certificates
- having four different enterprise CAs because people don't understand certificates
- people changing certificates on storefront without telling me
- provisioning certificates on thin devices that need a reboot to get a new config
- provisioning two different sets of certificates because they "don't know which one they'll use so they're trying both"
- doing changes in the middle of the god drat night

gently caress certificates.

I'm glad I don't really have to mess with them...

We have one self signed wildcard cert that is auto trusted by any domain joined device. Used only for our remote desktop farm, which is only accessible internally.

We have a website... but it's a informational website only. Not seen any reason to bother setting up SSL on what is effectively a brochure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One time this guy quit where I worked, he was kind of a weirdo so nobody really talked to him or anything. His last day was a Tuesday or Wednesday or some day that we all went to the bar across from the office anyway, so we invited him out. He ended up being pretty cool and we all had fun and were kind of sad that he left :smith:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like not showing up for poo poo like that when you said you would is a complete dick move. And it's burning a bridge unnecessarily.

I try to make a point of showing up for going away happy hours even if it's someone I didn't know very well, if only because it's going to be their last impression of you, and you never know if they'll have some decision-making power over your next job.

Even if they're not in the same department, they're clearly in the same industry. And if their main impression of you is "oh, yeah, that nice coworker I had who I didn't know very well, but bought me a drink and wished me luck when I left," all the better.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

skooma512 posted:

It’s bullshit y’all have to even do this.

It sucks but it’s why I answer with “no thanks, not interested” and don’t let it go further. My FB is private so if they wanna try creeping after work they either can’t find me or get blocked if they do. Don’t care if I look like an rear end in a top hat, I made my point clear so they can gently caress off.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It sucks but it’s why I answer with “no thanks, not interested” and don’t let it go further. My FB is private so if they wanna try creeping after work they either can’t find me or get blocked if they do. Don’t care if I look like an rear end in a top hat, I made my point clear so they can gently caress off.
You're never going to find a husband to take care of all your frail womanly needs with that attitude, missy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanatosian posted:

I try to make a point of showing up for happy hours

Ftfy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like not showing up for poo poo like that when you said you would is a complete dick move. And it's burning a bridge unnecessarily.

I try to make a point of showing up for going away happy hours even if it's someone I didn't know very well, if only because it's going to be their last impression of you, and you never know if they'll have some decision-making power over your next job.

Even if they're not in the same department, they're clearly in the same industry. And if their main impression of you is "oh, yeah, that nice coworker I had who I didn't know very well, but bought me a drink and wished me luck when I left," all the better.

This - I've gotten so many good jobs or out of bad jobs and into acceptable jobs because I made friends with folks through out IT departments. Also i've found that even if someone is a poo poo coworker - if I learn that they are cool people out side of work it somehow makes it more tolerable.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're never going to find a husband to take care of all your frail womanly needs with that attitude, missy.

Sad thing is I'd make a pretty gnarly looking woman, being a bald dude with a beard and all :v: guess some people just like 'em rougher than usual

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not pissing me off: got let go by the client from hell. They changed their mind every day and made every decision a five alarm fire. Disappointed to not finish the job, but not sad to leave.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Sad thing is I'd make a pretty gnarly looking woman, being a bald dude with a beard and all :v: guess some people just like 'em rougher than usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5T89jfJoA

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

This, also our social club puts on free food and drink.
I stay long enough to have a beer, listen to the speeches and then shake their hand and wish them well before politely heading away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo pissing me off, I just got chewed out for spending an extra two minutes at the coffee machine talking (first coffee of the day and its the small cups, so i was going to down the first and take down a second).

Motherfucker I have fixed your entire network (set up by a polish immigrant who'd googled it as he'd never done IT before, granted he did a fairly good job, all things considered) and done out of hours support (granted, no more than 10 minutes at a time) without asking about overtime. Do not piss me off over 2 minutes of coffee.

RE: Creepy dude news, i've actually been on the opposite end of the spectrum where I kept getting hit on by women aged 30-40 who didn't really care that I had a girlfriend. It got to the point where I didn't want to support certain users.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 4, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think it's a bad omen if the 1st thing that happens as I walk in the office is that a printer has jammed.

Not pissing me off: happy hour is at 16:00 PM today.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Me to HR: "Hey, do I send this form to you or direct to security? The guidance isn't clear"

(2 days pass)

HR: "Please send it direct to security and CC us"

*sends direct to security and CCs*

Security: "Sorry we can't accept applications directly, they must be forwarded to HR for them to forward to us"

loving GET YOUR poo poo STRAIGhT PEOPLE IT IS YOUR JOBS

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Environmental naming conventions and why management must all have a thesaurus on their desks.

UAT
Dev
Development
Test
Production
Lab
QA
Shadow
Preview
Scratch

And then they complain there are no standards and we don't know what the environments are really used for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

Environmental naming conventions and why management must all have a thesaurus on their desks.

UAT
Dev
Development
Test
Production
Lab
QA
Shadow
Preview
Scratch

And then they complain there are no standards and we don't know what the environments are really used for.

You're missing "integration" and "staging".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, Performance and Demo.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Ah yes you're right. We have all of those too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that doesn’t piss me off: boss is out today, I have nothing to do, so I’m gonna go for a nice long trail run at lunch. It rained a lot yesterday so it’s gonna be super muddy, good thing there’s a shower in the corporate office!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're missing "integration" and "staging".

Sandbox and POC. (Our naming conventions are god awful)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wow, just because it’s about integration they call it POC? That’s racist.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

dogstile posted:

RE: Creepy dude news, i've actually been on the opposite end of the spectrum where I kept getting hit on by women aged 30-40 who didn't really care that I had a girlfriend. It got to the point where I didn't want to support certain users.

Dude at an old job like a decade ago used to have that happen but it was always old ladies that were 50-55+ hitting on him. And not just the "oh you're so handsome" type, it got to the point of them grabbing his rear end or leering any time he'd stop by to help out. I get that old ladies can be sweet sometimes and it's nice to get an occasional compliment (or food, sometimes they'd bake stuff for our IT staff), but groping people is way over the line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately I look like a cave troll so no one hits on me. Ever. In my life.

:smith:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

Fortunately I look like a cave troll so no one hits on me. Ever. In my life.

:smith:

Even Cave Trolls need love.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Tailored Sauce posted:

What, no "Non-Production?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Macaroni posted:

Have you ever seen management consider something to NOT affect production? :v:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Macaroni posted:

Oh you mean the servers that went live because it was crunch time... three years ago?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tailored Sauce posted:

UAT
Dev
Development
Test
Production
Lab
QA
Shadow
Preview
Scratch

Server, The

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ConfusedUs posted:

This is a fight I keep having at work.

Me: Hey guys, this isn't behaving correctly, evidenced by X, Y, and Z.
Product: It's working as designed. Fixing this is a feature request (aka lowest priority) not a defect.
Me: Then the original design is so flawed as to be literally less than useless. It's not just useless. It's actively harmful. So is that really a feature request?

For example: One of our things has a reporting function that reports on usage. The numbers it spits out are not the same as the numbers that show up on invoices which are based on usage. This is, apparently, by design, as the reporting function was designed only to show SOME kinds of usage instead of all.

But there's no function to display all usage. The only thing available to users is "usage report," which doesn't correspond to actual usage. Thus we have angry people all the time wondering why they're being invoiced more than their usage report says they should.

Holy poo poo! This brings back a memory of the first data warehouse I ever built. An analyst wanted estimates of the cost of a transaction by user, so he had me put in a calculated field that took the total revenue and divided it by the total number of transactions and multiplied by the number of transactions for a particular user.

The problem is that a transaction was billed according to various criteria so it was possible for one user with few transactions to generate more revenue than a user with many.

I pushed back hard on the addition of these fields but lost the fight.

The problem was that people would see the “estimated revenue by month” field in the database and use it for all sorts of calculations which always always always came up incorrect.

Yeah, “having this column in the table instead of a calculated field in your spreadsheet is literally more harmful than not having it at all.” Especially because it was, “Agrikk your system is not working. We can’t trust it.” not “Agrikk these columns that analyst wanted added are hosed.”

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

UAT
Dev
Development
Test
Production
Lab
QA
Shadow
Preview
Scratch

+ PPE
+ Canary

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sent a message from an unmonitored mailbox to Everyone@ (only C-levels and this mailbox can send to Everyone@) about the twitter password bug ( Official Tweet if you missed it)

A bunch of replies so far (It's fun to check, for betting reasons). They are all "Thanks" and "I don't have a twitter account why did you send this to me?!".

The email is short (2 lines) 1 of which is "If you do not have Twitter please ignore this email" (it google translated better than please disregard)

We've had 4 people forward it as a virus (there are no links, no attachments, and no request for information). Also 3 replies where they sent it to whoever in IT they could think of.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh you mean the servers that went live because it was crunch time... three years ago?
Our vendor calls our QA/DEV environment "Non-Production." Which I guess technically makes sense--it's just a separate instance in a SAAS/hosted environment that our other systems don't actually point to--but nobody else in the universe calls such an environment "Non-Production." I've actually had squabbles with the vendor's newer techs where they say "We see no server listed that is called DEV so we are closing your ticket for lack of information." Upon my enraged reopening of said ticket, they reply "Oh, you meant NP server. We will now do the needful." :mad:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Another day, another example of it's me pissing me off.

I'm cleaning out some old backup sets because I discovered the retention policy was broken and not running properly. During this process I deleted a bunch of backups, for the wrong client; drat I really needed those.

Why do I have to make my own life so stressful sometimes?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
^^^ Well, at least rather than untested backups which you think will work, at least you know those backups don't work. Because you deleted them.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

+ PPE
+ Canary
What are PPE and Canary? I feel left out, I need more environments!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

^^^ Well, at least rather than untested backups which you think will work, at least you know those backups don't work. Because you deleted them.

What are PPE and Canary? I feel left out, I need more environments!

PPE: Pre Production Environment. Used for running advanced test batteries and simulated customer workloads against release candidates before rollout to production
Canary: The first environment you roll out to in a multi-region deployment so that failures are caught there instead of in a production region.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I deleted a bunch of backups, for the wrong client; drat I really needed those.

Do you have backups?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Truth. It's like anti-testing.

CrazyLittle posted:

Do you have backups?

Hilariously, I did. I had insisted to my boss that it was a good idea in case somebody deleted the wrong offsite folder when offboarding a client or something. NOT LIKE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN OR ANYTHING.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Power went out because of crazy winds. Sorta went out. And what I mean by that is about half of our building has power and the other half doesn’t. Our building is just a jerry rigged pile of poo poo, it’s been hacked on by every construction and electrical company in town and the owner has always done poo poo the cheapest way possible. So we have three power feeds and only two work. The cubicle I am in doesn’t have power but the lights in the ceiling do. All the power outlets in the “server room” have power except two. Accounting department is totally blacked out but the lights work in customer service and sales, but no cubicle lights.

iTunes everything off and left at 3. They can take phone calls but have to write info down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress’s sake I was supposed to be gone 15 minutes ago but someone is dragging their feet on responding to a ticket where they can’t enter their timesheet, and timesheet entry is getting cracked down on hard. He said he would call me in 5 minutes 10 minutes ago after I told him I had to leave very soon. I’m going to be late to dinner with my in-laws for this poo poo.