Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The valkyrie side punch is the biggest load of horse poo poo in the game. Everything else about them is great, but that move is so goddamn cheap and spammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So about the ending: Kratos is stuck in another revenge plot against a Pantheon of Gods, only now it's Feyes, isn't he? She set him up right from the word go to get back at Odin and his crew for what they did to her and the rest of the Giants.

Yep that's my take but there's a bit more fuzzy feelings in there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

poptart_fairy posted:

The valkyrie side punch is the biggest load of horse poo poo in the game. Everything else about them is great, but that move is so goddamn cheap and spammy.

They generally only do it if you guard too much so you can bait it and counter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They'll always do that little duck to the side before lunging at you so you'll know it's coming. It's the hardest of their unblockables to react to and if you're unsure you can use charge of the white bear + spartan charge to pass right through it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

when does kratos teach the boy how to double jump

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't notice it much in my first run but gently caress that kid does some smooth moves. The leap off the back Legolas arrow... Nice one boy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've nailed 5 of the Valks, hurr, but that move just seemed more irritating than anything - felt I was fighting the camera with it half the time. Game is loving fantastic despite some blips like this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So about the ending: Kratos is stuck in another revenge plot against a Pantheon of Gods, only now it's Feyes, isn't he? She set him up right from the word go to get back at Odin and his crew for what they did to her and the rest of the Giants.

I thought is was more We have to protect Atreus from Odin because he is basically the last giant and the combination of Giant and Greek God blood is probably scary enough to terrify Odin/Ra/Dag'dha. Loki/Atreus will likely become one of the most powerful Gods due to his heritage and that's the kind of thing that really freaks out a paranoid sociopath like Odin (plus all the family drama of killing everyone's kids)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought is was more We have to protect Atreus from Odin because he is basically the last giant and the combination of Giant and Greek God blood is probably scary enough to terrify Odin/Ra/Dag'dha. Loki/Atreus will likely become one of the most powerful Gods due to his heritage and that's the kind of thing that really freaks out a paranoid sociopath like Odin (plus all the family drama of killing everyone's kids)

Little bit of A, little bit of B, I think.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fedule posted:

I don't know how I feel about this game.

Okay, that's a loving lie. I know pretty well how I feel about this game, but it's like six different ways at once, and it's weird.

The biggest problem with this game, really, is the reviews. I don't know why my usual cynicism failed me this time around but god help me, I bought into the hype just a little. And that probably made me resent the game a whole lot more for what failings it has than I might have otherwise. It's a pretty good game, really. I'd say it's even a great game. It is not a fawning 10/10. It is not GOTY. It is not even the best uncompromisingly challenging game with an unexpectedly emotionally engaging story about coming to terms with yourself and climbing a mountain that came out in 2018. I hate that I got caught up in these expectations because I don't really think anything about GoW that I didn't also think about Horizon Zero Dawn, except now I can't stop wondering why more people aren't complaining about the piles of needless loadout cruft, the pointless obsession with stats and skill trees and upgrades, all the small failings of the combat that don't matter 99% of the time but are thrown into sharp relief during challenges in which the game starts demanding something approaching mastery.

I feel like I could bitch and moan for hours about the combat, both specific mechanic and encounters and general stuff, all totally justifiably, despite the fact that I broadly really love the game and will probably play it again someday? I think? Is that weird? Like, I think it's exhilarating, and revelatory, and fun, but also utterly infuriating at times, and built on a few very stupid decisions, and I don't think the people who most deeply understand the system and the people who decided what the game would demand of players are the same people.

I feel like I could write an enormous itemised post of extremely specific things I don't like, and it would be cathartic, and it would teach me about myself. I'm probably not going to, though.

The thing with games like God of War is that people have grown with this game. Many of the people that have played GoW has teens now have kids.

Theres no real separation between the game and their lives. GoW is part of their life. Kratos growing from some "dumb" teenager angry dude into somebody with a gray palette ethic. That kind of speak to them, from inside. Is a stroke of genius. And the game have other strokes of genius. Some of these stroke are so fortunate that is probably more luck than skill.

The game kind of overflow of good ideas and is somewhat chaotic at utilizing them well. I think is going to be a better game when the next one release.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I played the first God of War when I was almost thirty and love this game so this game's appeal has nothing to do with "growing up" with Kratos.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly I think some people just miss Kratos from 1-3 (Forgive me if I trip over myself trying to explain my thoughts. I'm really bad at putting stuff down)

Everyone talks about him being a problematic shithead and like, it's true. But also his actual gameplay was satisfying in it's own right and God of War as a whole loses a lot of it's identity just to squeeze into the gruff dad genre. It's as if Dante from the DMC series mellowed the hell out, lost 80% of his weapons, slowed down tremendously, lost a handful of combos and Ebony and Ivory was traded in for a kid.

Maybe that game would be cool. Watching once high-octane demon hunter mellow out and try to teach a kid the ropes while making bad dad jokes but uh, you'd also be taking away a lot of what people enjoyed from his series to do it.

I think a really easy solution around the problem would of been to just recast Kratos or just have him be a side character or something. I mean wasn't the original pitch that the god of war would be a different one based on the different pantheons?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It was a bold move changing directions but a necessary one too. God of War was getting tired after Ascension (it is very very telling that 1-3 is mentioned extremely often in this thread but Ascension maybe only once or twice, with many posters forgetting GoW2018 is actually the fifth mainline God of War). This was the best possible way to carry on.

Resident Evil was the same, after 6 the series was in mortal danger of fading away. 7 was the best thing Capcom could have done, they knew they couldn't keep chasing the RE4 dragon so they worked to their greatest strengths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really have any allegiance to the previous God of War games but I also think it would have been cowardly to completely change protagonists, because a lot of people really did have problems with the character of Kratos and the particular type of hyperviolent masculinity he came to represent. The narrative of this game was made richer for addressing them and now it feels like the series can move on in a fresh new direction.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

This was my first God of War game. I read a summary of what happened in the previous games. It probably skewed the impact of some things, but I think I understood enough to get what was going on at least. I still enjoyed the heck out of the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did like 5 Valkyries in a night they're incredibly easy if you remember a few key things:

-Get the loving enchantment that enhances your dodge like holy poo poo
-Immediately push in with your runic attacks the second they start unfolding their wings
-Rage mode heals you
-Spam BOY
-Getting your gear up to par is a huge make or break deal. I struggled with a couple that I came back to a few hours of loving around later and stomped them pretty easily using the above tips.

The Polygon guide is pretty handy in this regard, honestly. Crossing the barrier from "this is loving bullshit" to wiping the floor with them is a genuinely satisfying moment.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I only played the three numbered games before this, and when played in order you clearly see the guy get more unhinged even when you think he peaked. It would be stupid to push it even further. It's good that they calmed him the gently caress down. It's the most sensible direction.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really thought this game was going to stink before it came out. I'm shocked at how much the little loving details have blown me away, as someone who was precisely the target demographic of a angry young teen when the first God of War came out over a decade ago, loved it a great deal without sticking through 2 and 3, and as someone who has had ten years to go through a lot and grow with that, that loving moment in the opening where Kratos fiddles with the bandages on his arm, really shook me. Like... it's really hard to explain, but they told the entire story between 3 and now with that moment alone. I was really blown away by the sheer restraint they showed in moving that character forward into something less toxic and over the top. You watch this story unfold and Kratos is a man who feels shame for the things he's done, knows how he has to change as that shame begins to hurt those around him, and later on actually starts sharing things from his past that he's proud of with his son. I'm a little exhausted by the repetitiveness of the side content and the more puzzle-y stuff, but I really do love the story and how the combat progresses and opens up, I think it's a huge... step forward, I guess, for people that enjoyed that original God of War trilogy.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dumb question: when I complete the different achievements in the journal (kill 50 enemies with heavy cleave, kill 50 draugr, etc.) do I automatically get those XP bonuses, or do I have to somehow go to the journal and "claim" the reward by pressing something? I don't think I've seen any pop-ups saying "Yay, you did a thing! Here's 250XP!" but it seems to be listed as complete in the journal.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I spent a good chunk of time beating last night beating Valkyries. I've killed all of them but one now. As the night went on I went from seriously struggling, to beating the 6th and 7th one on my first try. While all of them are ultimately unique they ultimately all take moves from the same pool with only a few exceptions. The biggest thing I learned while fighting them is how incredibly good runic attacks are. I got really good at draining 1/4th to 1/3rd of a health bar by basically hitting them with R1 to see if I would get a stagger, then continuing with a full combo of Runic attacks from both weapons.

I guess my major tips would be:

1. Block block block, and block some more, then dodge when you need to. It took trial and lots of error but eventually I just got used to sitting behind my shield and knowing when I needed to dodge.
2. Whether or not attempting to parry is a good idea is entirely dependent on which valkyrie you're fighting. Some of them have highly telegraphed parryable attacks which you should 100% parry because a parry is a guaranteed stagger. Others have almost no telegraphed parryable attacks and instead use almost all unblockables.
3. Some Valkyries have interruptible attacks. These attacks usually have large wind ups and failing to interrupt them usually leads to a screen wide unblockable. Make sure you have your axe handy. This particular tip was probably the biggest thing I had to learn because the Valkyries that have these attacks are *really* hard to beat if you're not interrupting them.
4. Although most unblockables can just be sidestepped there is at least one attack that is designed to punish a sidestep dash and it's a doozy. The ones that have this were a particular issue for me.

In any case, when I got to the point where I stomped a pair of Valkyries on my first try felt really good. So I would suggest to anyone not to give up on these fights. They're ultimately worth it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taintrunner posted:

I really thought this game was going to stink before it came out. I'm shocked at how much the little loving details have blown me away, as someone who was precisely the target demographic of a angry young teen when the first God of War came out over a decade ago, loved it a great deal without sticking through 2 and 3, and as someone who has had ten years to go through a lot and grow with that, that loving moment in the opening where Kratos fiddles with the bandages on his arm, really shook me. Like... it's really hard to explain, but they told the entire story between 3 and now with that moment alone. I was really blown away by the sheer restraint they showed in moving that character forward into something less toxic and over the top. You watch this story unfold and Kratos is a man who feels shame for the things he's done, knows how he has to change as that shame begins to hurt those around him, and later on actually starts sharing things from his past that he's proud of with his son. I'm a little exhausted by the repetitiveness of the side content and the more puzzle-y stuff, but I really do love the story and how the combat progresses and opens up, I think it's a huge... step forward, I guess, for people that enjoyed that original God of War trilogy.

Definitely with you on this one. A huge part of the game's draw for me was seeing an older Kratos 14 years after the first time. I was a kid back then, today not so much. The missus is talking about kids of her own. Guys who were young, brash & angry back then who are now older & more grounded in reality today is a pretty large demographic. It's no surprise the game got such a good reception.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kratos developed into the best straight man of a duo, and that's just perfect.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Dumb question: when I complete the different achievements in the journal (kill 50 enemies with heavy cleave, kill 50 draugr, etc.) do I automatically get those XP bonuses, or do I have to somehow go to the journal and "claim" the reward by pressing something? I don't think I've seen any pop-ups saying "Yay, you did a thing! Here's 250XP!" but it seems to be listed as complete in the journal.

As far as I can tell you just get it. You probably are getting the popups, but they're generally coming up /during combat and down in the corner or something so you're just not seeing them. I know I saw a couple happen during combat but I missed most of them and still got the XP as far as I know.

I am sitting on some comical amount of XP right now, 80k+ or something, after beating the game. XP is plentiful.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tei posted:

The thing with games like God of War is that people have grown with this game. Many of the people that have played GoW has teens now have kids.

Theres no real separation between the game and their lives. GoW is part of their life. Kratos growing from some "dumb" teenager angry dude into somebody with a gray palette ethic. That kind of speak to them, from inside. Is a stroke of genius. And the game have other strokes of genius. Some of these stroke are so fortunate that is probably more luck than skill.

The game kind of overflow of good ideas and is somewhat chaotic at utilizing them well. I think is going to be a better game when the next one release.

yeah i think they went overboard on crafting. Enchantments i think should have been more limited instead of the kind of randomly generated thing there is now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All of the valkyries are "tough but fair" except Sigrun, that fight is terrible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fedule posted:

I don't know how I feel about this game.

Okay, that's a loving lie. I know pretty well how I feel about this game, but it's like six different ways at once, and it's weird.

The biggest problem with this game, really, is the reviews. I don't know why my usual cynicism failed me this time around but god help me, I bought into the hype just a little. And that probably made me resent the game a whole lot more for what failings it has than I might have otherwise. It's a pretty good game, really. I'd say it's even a great game. It is not a fawning 10/10. It is not GOTY. It is not even the best uncompromisingly challenging game with an unexpectedly emotionally engaging story about coming to terms with yourself and climbing a mountain that came out in 2018. I hate that I got caught up in these expectations because I don't really think anything about GoW that I didn't also think about Horizon Zero Dawn, except now I can't stop wondering why more people aren't complaining about the piles of needless loadout cruft, the pointless obsession with stats and skill trees and upgrades, all the small failings of the combat that don't matter 99% of the time but are thrown into sharp relief during challenges in which the game starts demanding something approaching mastery.

I feel like I could bitch and moan for hours about the combat, both specific mechanic and encounters and general stuff, all totally justifiably, despite the fact that I broadly really love the game and will probably play it again someday? I think? Is that weird? Like, I think it's exhilarating, and revelatory, and fun, but also utterly infuriating at times, and built on a few very stupid decisions, and I don't think the people who most deeply understand the system and the people who decided what the game would demand of players are the same people.

I feel like I could write an enormous itemised post of extremely specific things I don't like, and it would be cathartic, and it would teach me about myself. I'm probably not going to, though.
Yeah I agree with all of this 100%. This game seems pretty great so far but "pretty great" doesn't usually translate to "buy on launch" to me and I'm feeling a little sheepish that I got fooled like that.

Meanwhile, Celeste I would have happily paid $100 for - clearly the emotional mountain game of the year 2018.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So everyone is choosing Sindri's Armor over Brok's, right? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I have a dumb theory that's probably been brought up. Mimir is Odin in disguise. He traveled with Kratos/Atreus to learn more about them and discover the location to Jotunheim, there's probably some lore reason he can't enter it himself, hence why he told them he'd stay behind during the ending. He probably knows Kratos/Atreus figure into Ragnarok prophecy somehow.

I feel like this'll be revealed in subsequent games, but I just got this strong feeling that as a twist this one makes sense. There's also some random dialogue throughout the game where he keeps info from you and Atreus/Kratos calls him on it, and he's like "whoops I dunno why I kept that from you."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

qbert posted:

So I have a dumb theory that's probably been brought up. Mimir is Odin in disguise. He traveled with Kratos/Atreus to learn more about them and discover the location to Jotunheim, there's probably some lore reason he can't enter it himself, hence why he told them he'd stay behind during the ending. He probably knows Kratos/Atreus figure into Ragnarok prophecy somehow.

I feel like this'll be revealed in subsequent games, but I just got this strong feeling that as a twist this one makes sense. There's also some random dialogue throughout the game where he keeps info from you and Atreus/Kratos calls him on it, and he's like "whoops I dunno why I kept that from you."

Freya would probably have figured this out

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

qbert posted:

Yeah, I kept waiting for some sort of betrayal by Mimir and was pleased that it didn't go that way. Could still see it happening later on as you're speculating

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

qbert posted:

There's also some random dialogue throughout the game where he keeps info from you and Atreus/Kratos calls him on it, and he's like "whoops I dunno why I kept that from you."[/spoiler]

There's also dialogue that says he's ensorcelled and can't thing/talk about certain things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

All of the valkyries are "tough but fair" except Sigrun, that fight is terrible.

I was bitching about the other ones the other night but they all pale in comparison to the BS that is Sigrun. I can't even beat her.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I got the goal to get the magic chisel. What should be a good stat spread around these levels? Say I focus on Defense and Attack. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but I think it's despite the combat. It's just not gelling with me. Enemies are just damage sponges, and outside the runic attacks it's just using the same boring combo over and over again. I made the mistake of starting on the 3rd difficulty, which allows you to take two hits and it takes about seventeen thousand to take down a normal draugr. It's just not fun, even when playing well it's just a tedious grind of whittling down these enemies.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's also dialogue that says he's ensorcelled and can't thing/talk about certain things.

Yeah, that mainly related to stuff about Baldur and his weaknesses. But there's other stuff, like Freya being the queen of the Valkyries, that Kratos asks him about not mentioning and he has no good excuse.

Jimbot posted:

So I got the goal to get the magic chisel. What should be a good stat spread around these levels? Say I focus on Defense and Attack. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but I think it's despite the combat. It's just not gelling with me. Enemies are just damage sponges, and outside the runic attacks it's just using the same boring combo over and over again. I made the mistake of starting on the 3rd difficulty, which allows you to take two hits and it takes about seventeen thousand to take down a normal draugr. It's just not fun, even when playing well it's just a tedious grind of whittling down these enemies.

The secret that the game doesn't do a good job of explaining is that your character level is way more important than your individual stats. Like being level 4 is a huge improvement over level 3 in terms of dealing damage, taking damage, parrying attacks, etc. You should basically just equip the gear/enchantments with the highest levels, then swap out what you want as long as it doesn't take you down a level.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 4, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

qbert posted:

The secret that the game doesn't do a good job of explaining is that your character level is way more important than your individual stats. Like being level 4 is a huge improvement over level 3 in terms of dealing damage, taking damage, parrying attacks, etc. You should basically just equip the gear/enchantments with the highest levels, then swap out what you want as long as it doesn't take you down a level.

I figured it was important but wasn't that important. I'll give it a shot. I think for the next game, they shouldn't design by committee and lock the "RPG stats and level" guy out of the designer's room. It's just a terrible loving thing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

qbert posted:

I thought the reason Mimir kept stuff from you was because Freya placed a curse on him to completely forget what Baldur's weakness is. Also this twist sorta flies in the face of the giants trusting mimir with those eyes. That said, the idea Mimir can't actually enter Jotunheim at all could make for some kind of interesting checkov's gun.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DaveKap posted:

I thought the reason Mimir kept stuff from you was because Freya placed a curse on him to completely forget what Baldur's weakness is. Also this twist sorta flies in the face of the giants trusting mimir with those eyes. That said, the idea Mimir can't actually enter Jotunheim at all could make for some kind of interesting checkov's gun.

I think Mimir not being able to enter Jotunheim is a bit of a stretch, he said he didn't want to come along because it was a personal moment for Kratos and Atreus. And it seemed pretty honest (and made sense) to me.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 4, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sure, I didn't actually take it to mean anything at the time and really don't still. I'm just saying it would make for a good twist down the line.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Ah, I misunderstood. Also I missed; that this isn't the spoiler thread, I'll put in tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Finished the main story last night, GoW deserved every bit of hype it got. I'm gonna put it down and play other stuff until I have an appetite for valkyries and mist dungeons and hopefully NG+ gets patched in, but I'm definitely coming back to it at some point. The combat is so good