Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I love the RP templates as every workout leaves me a trembling aching mess, but it also kind of sucks to go "was that really 3/fail? Too hard? Too easy? TELL ME THE TRUTH DAMMIT!" after like every set. Oh well, shut up, eat, sleep, lift, and so on and so forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

UnfurledSails posted:

I love the RP templates as every workout leaves me a trembling aching mess, but it also kind of sucks to go "was that really 3/fail? Too hard? Too easy? TELL ME THE TRUTH DAMMIT!" after like every set. Oh well, shut up, eat, sleep, lift, and so on and so forth

I also enjoy debating whether to rate an exercise as a 1 or 0.

"Well, was I sore and tight, or just tight? And was the tightness really from the last time I worked this muscle, or just from general Old Man syndrome?"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yesterday i bailed forward during a back squat right after the instructor finished explaining how to bail backwards and i was filled with shame but fortunately i didn't injure myself

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have those "took a week off squatting and then I squatted" DOMS going on

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I roasted my legs mountain biking on Saturday, then had an 80% for 8+ reps squat day on Monday. I got 4.

I'm also cutting weight, so I'm gonna chalk it up to mitigating circumstances in addition to me being a gigantic pussy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I missed the left pin trying to rerack the bar on the squat rack and hoo buddy. Dude next to me checked on me and said not to worry, it's apparently common.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Vargatron posted:

I missed the left pin trying to rerack the bar on the squat rack and hoo buddy. Dude next to me checked on me and said not to worry, it's apparently common.

It's not, he was just trying to make you feel good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It happens to people who set the pins too high at my gym all the time.

They have to tiptoe to unrack and then wonder why they need their spotter to help at the end of the set.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have mine set pretty low, I just somehow lost where the pin was.

feelix posted:

It's not, he was just trying to make you feel good

Yeah, but it made me feel bad

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

sassassin posted:

It happens to people who set the pins too high at my gym all the time.

They have to tiptoe to unrack and then wonder why they need their spotter to help at the end of the set.

Manlets, when will they learn?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Kettlebells own

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

Kettlebells own

I use the little 5lbs ones upside down to do pushups but i cant tell if its dumb or good

its definitely harder so...:shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So I've read like 3 books in a row that say Sleep is incredibly important for recovery, 7 hours non negotiable and 8-9 even better, and the people who say "I'm fine with 5 hours brah" are scientifically proven idiots

One book practically compares sleep with steroids (the Recovery book from the RP guys) and another says even one hour of missed sleep can lower your athletic performance by up to 30%, and doubles your risk of cancer (Why We Sleep), and the oldest one (A flat Stomach ASAP) basically says "when you can't figure out why you're not losing weight, sleep more"

... And of course after reading that, today I only managed 5 hours of sleep, but that's because I got a migraine :(

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chinatown posted:

I use the little 5lbs ones upside down to do pushups but i cant tell if its dumb or good

its definitely harder so...:shrug:

Kettlebell swings, my friend

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
after i started sleeping more, eating whole foods, and lifting the heaviest things i can i basically have no maladies anymore i dunno whats wrong with the rest of you

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

barkbell posted:

after i started sleeping more, eating whole foods, and lifting the heaviest things i can i basically have no maladies anymore i dunno whats wrong with the rest of you

Lots of years of abuse and neglect to undo.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i’ve been regularly sleeping 9 hours recently and im making novice style gains again

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

barkbell posted:

I think I caught something from your mom.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

barkbell posted:

High school and college in the 80s and early 90s = more booze and drugs than I care to remember

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So I've read like 3 books in a row that say Sleep is incredibly important for recovery, 7 hours non negotiable and 8-9 even better, and the people who say "I'm fine with 5 hours brah" are scientifically proven idiots

One book practically compares sleep with steroids (the Recovery book from the RP guys) and another says even one hour of missed sleep can lower your athletic performance by up to 30%, and doubles your risk of cancer (Why We Sleep), and the oldest one (A flat Stomach ASAP) basically says "when you can't figure out why you're not losing weight, sleep more"

... And of course after reading that, today I only managed 5 hours of sleep, but that's because I got a migraine :(

Sleep is really important.

I've averaged maybe 4 hours a night for the past week.
Yep. Sleep is necessary.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Anyone else take ZMA nightly?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yes sleep is really important but according to Greg Nuckols there are, in fact, a small percentage of incredibly lucky "fast sleepers" who are physiologically built to function with less sleep

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
With my daughter teething I’m averaging about five-to-seven hours of broken sleep and it is playing hell with my recovery.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I tried out front squats yesterday, very light just to try to keep an eye on my form.

Really liked them, especially how I felt they engaged my low back and really freed up my hips compared to a back squat. I think I'm gonna alternate days front/back now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Defiant Sally posted:

Anyone else take ZMA nightly?

I used to for about a year or so and I remember liking it and the dreams it gave me.

Don't know why I stopped but both times I've tried it since then I've woken up with a massive headache.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I ask my girlfriend to choke me out until I go to sleep to ensure maximum sleep engagement in the fastest and most optimal way

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I deadlifted the most I have since college 10+ years ago yesterday.

:feelsgood:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I deadlifted the most I have since college 10+ years ago yesterday.

:feelsgood:

how much was it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

Kettlebell swings, my friend

enough about my balls

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Hit the gym after a 2 week break (sick and then vacation). Did some squats and deadlifts and now I am on my 3rd poo poo of the afternoon

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Sunday is a gym day on this week's rotation. Time to go lift heavy and semi heavy things(gently caress you shoulder for being weak) and make some major post workout poops.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I don’t understand how you guys can lift hard knowing there’s a poo in you that could come out at any moment of maximal exertion...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I don’t understand how you guys can lift hard knowing there’s a poo in you that could come out at any moment of maximal exertion...

Your preworkout routine is missing an important step.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I take a big ol dump pre workout as is correct. But post workout I usually have one in the tank as well :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys all like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8qtPtIfJs

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

feelix posted:

Yes sleep is really important but according to Greg Nuckols there are, in fact, a small percentage of incredibly lucky "fast sleepers" who are physiologically built to function with less sleep

I am likely one of those as I typically only sleep about five and a half hours in an evening and I recover well and always feel alert and fresh if I sleep more than that I end up getting lethargic

I also poop too much

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I am likely one of those as I typically only sleep about five and a half hours in an evening and I recover well and always feel alert and fresh if I sleep more than that I end up getting lethargic

I also poop too much

Friends, hear me: if we eat this one, perhaps we shall gain their power.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I saw a dude benching with wrist straps today. Is that a thing? I was going to ask him but he was benching more than me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've seen it before. It's a great way to take forever with the bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Everyone peep this hot take on lifting from someone in the D&D Trump thread during a derail:

[quote="Sneakster” post="483851598"]
Gym culture is the most mind numbing toxic bullshit imaginable. Its basically all caveman act, steroid ads and pitchman throwing out absurd exercises, and an unending parade of MLM type bullshit.

Trump is an idiot, but exercise IS* bad for you.

*Unless you're a competitive athlete, the only functional purpose of exercise is to induce muscle growth to maximize your lean mass. Beyond the lowest effective volume to achieve this is largely unnecessary wear and tear. The benefits of exercise are a subset of the benefits of resistance training. Things like yoga aren't good for you in any real sense, since "flexibility" is merely going beyond a comfortable range of motion that isn't in and of itself a good thing for long term health.

Find the cheapest gym, work out major muscle groups roughly once a week with one set to failure. Anyone saying to do more than that is selling something or probably wrong. Machines are fine, avoid injuries with slow controlled form, and keep a record of weight lifted since you can't memorize it. There are some guidelines to realistic expectations in terms of best case results, but you'll likely max out progress within 2 years, and from then on its a matter of trying to slowly make marginal improvements over the long term. Anyone encouraging you to do exercise beyond a point that risks injury is probably an idiot.

Speaking of MLM type bullshit: whatever this guy is talking about that has "legions of people calling it a pyramid scheme" is probably a pyramid scheme. See, its very very unpleasant, ergo not doing it would be too easy.

That's mostly genetics.”
[/quote]