Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tardcore posted:

Wait am I not supposed to read Reading as reading?

Reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CaptainViolence posted:

right??? that's why i eventually bailed and got into making educational videos. reality tv as a whole has not aged well, i don't think.

other than joe schmoe show, i mean.

I personally think Whale Wars is the greatest television ever made.

Just not for the reasons they intended.

Never before in history has there been a bigger shipwreck not involving any of the literal ships which got literally wrecked on that show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tardcore posted:

Wait am I not supposed to read Reading as reading?

No it’s pronounced “reading”.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The "Read" part rhymes with "lead", if that helps.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

fruit on the bottom posted:

No it’s pronounced “reading”.

Well I feel foolish.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's pronounced "sword"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
well that was the best post I ever made and now it's on the previous page so there it goes

:negative:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

littlebluellama posted:

Cillian Murphy is Irish and has the most Irish name ever (spelled the traditional Gaelic way with no letter K)??

edit: am I the :thejoke: ?

There is a dumb joke about Poland sending a rocket ship to the sun ... at night, which is in the dumbest loosest way the premise of the movie. My joke had little to do with Cillian Murphy specifically other than the fact that he stars in that weird movie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that movie is pretty cool until about 3/4 in, then it turns into some schlock

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's pronounced "gif"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The "Read" part rhymes with "lead", if that helps.

Reading Pennsylvania is pronounced “Redding”

Edit: wait I read that post as saying lead as in leading. Wtf English

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 00:20 on May 5, 2018

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
For beds in Reading, the place to be heading is Reading bedding

That's one of those slogans that I can't decide if it stuck because I heard it in my formative childhood years, or because they're still using it twenty years later.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Aesop Poprock posted:

No it's lead as in ledding.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ahaha dying right now

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No it's lead as in ledding.

Like one of my favorite bands - Lead Zeppelin.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Technocrat posted:

That's one of those slogans that I can't decide if it stuck because I heard it in my formative childhood years, or because they're still using it twenty years later.

I'd long forgotten that drat jingle.

So thanks, I guess.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

You’re all forgetting Otis Reading

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Humongous Pear posted:

You’re all forgetting Otis Reading

What's Otis reading?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My friend Herb disagrees that Polish is the only one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, what the hell was the deal with the Great Gazoo?

The show's ratings were starting to drop for a variety of reasons. So they decided to try something new to get people watching again. So they made Gazoo.

...it ended badly. He was in like 12 episodes and the show ended production not long after.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My friend Herb disagrees that Polish is the only one.

Depends where Herb lives.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
God loving dammit I already said

Unkempt posted:

Nice job.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

CommonShore posted:

There is a dumb joke about Poland sending a rocket ship to the sun ... at night, which is in the dumbest loosest way the premise of the movie. My joke had little to do with Cillian Murphy specifically other than the fact that he stars in that weird movie.

ah, got it. I was racking my brain, "does the charecter's name end in -ski or something?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Technocrat posted:

To not be misleading, that's advice I'll be heeding.

Also august and ares both change pronunciation with a capital. It was a round on Only Connect, which will age fantastically well, because pretentious wankery never goes out of style.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Volcott posted:

We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange.

And...!

Um...

Err...

Door...hinge...?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dexie posted:

And...!

Um...

Err...

Door...hinge...?

No, no…

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I saw an episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 the other day and I have to say, putting putty on a white guy's face to make him look Japanese is definitely not something I ever expected to see outside of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hearing a white guy read Japanese phonetically was also something else. Was it really so hard to find an actual Japanese actor in Hawaii back then? Like I currently live a few miles from where the studio was on Oahu and it's still pretty Japanese out here.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don Gato posted:

... putting putty on a white guy's face to make him look Japanese is definitely not something I ever expected to see outside of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

You Only Live Twice?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don Gato posted:

I saw an episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 the other day and I have to say, putting putty on a white guy's face to make him look Japanese is definitely not something I ever expected to see outside of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hearing a white guy read Japanese phonetically was also something else. Was it really so hard to find an actual Japanese actor in Hawaii back then? Like I currently live a few miles from where the studio was on Oahu and it's still pretty Japanese out here.

In Cameron Crowe's movie Aloha (2015), Emma Stone plays a half Asian girl named Allison Ng.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

In Cameron Crowe's movie Aloha (2015), Emma Stone plays a half Asian girl named Allison Ng.

Emma Stone is the most Asian looking White actress they could have used. Which is actually worse than if they just cast Scarlett Johansson because they got as close to Asian as they could without actually hiring one.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Emma Stone is the most Asian looking White actress they could have used.

Huh?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

It's subjective of course, but while she doesn't look Asian, if I found out she was a quarter Asian or something I'd look at her facial structure and be like, "yeah, I guess I can see that."

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I guess I really just don't see it. You know what Asians look like right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Oh dear what is this.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
They've been influenced by the anime and plastic surgery successes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I guess I really just don't see it. You know what Asians look like right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just because she was in sleeping dogs does not mean Emma Stone is asian

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Genuine question, a lot of people were upset about that movie a couple years back that had a white guy play Michael Jackson. What was the correct solution for that one? A black actor in white face? Seemed kind of like a lose/lose situation there.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamhand posted:

Genuine question, a lot of people were upset about that movie a couple years back that had a white guy play Michael Jackson. What was the correct solution for that one? A black actor in white face? Seemed kind of like a lose/lose situation there.

Well considering the solid fact that Michael Jackson was a black man who lightened his skin a black actor in white face seems like the logical and appropriate solution. It's not lose/lose because the color of his face has no bearing on the fact that he was black and a white person should not play him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bamhand posted:

Like considering the reality of the human being in question, yeah, that's what they should have done.

Unless they wanted to get weird and have a few different actors play MJ, I guess, which might be better or worse or just as bad, I really don't know. But the reality is that the most popular entertainer in the world, the King of Pop, was a black man, whatever he ended up looking like in the latter part of his life, and it's really not hard to see why people are salty about that getting literally whitewashed away.