Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

logikv9 posted:

what the gently caress I thought crypto was dead

It definitely dropped out of the news when it crashed at least

That is not dead which can eternal lie. in strange eons even death may die. invest in cthonicoin today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I want to live in a world where people get drunk and instead of giving themselves tattoos, they’re like, ‘I’m drunk, I’m going to CRISPR myself.’

e: tbf living in Perdido Street Station might not suck if you had money, but I foresee way more of the "hey I got this drunk person in here, let's CRISPR them into a horrible loving freak lol" outcomes than not in crazy guy's vision

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 14:56 on May 4, 2018

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
biohacker

jesus christ

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i read a comment the other day on the story about how Tesla lost 2bil in market cap due to Musk being a literal mental child in which the commenter was super mad at someone questioning his dear elon because the dude is both a rocket and a car engineer at both companies

like, this level of arrogant stupidity combined with authoritarian celebrity worship is the new normal, this is our future

i have no idea how actual leftist organizers havent given in to hopelessness and despair

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

logikv9 posted:

what the gently caress I thought crypto was dead

It definitely dropped out of the news when it crashed at least

it's never going to die as long as nerds and suckers can be persuaded that they'll live like kings if they get in on the ground floor

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Wheeee posted:

i read a comment the other day on the story about how Tesla lost 2bil in market cap due to Musk being a literal mental child in which the commenter was super mad at someone questioning his dear elon because the dude is both a rocket and a car engineer at both companies

like, this level of arrogant stupidity combined with authoritarian celebrity worship is the new normal, this is our future

i have no idea how actual leftist organizers havent given in to hopelessness and despair

me sitting around having lunch with neuroscience faculty at a top research institute in the bay area

faculty 1: have you been following elon musks new brain machine interface startup

faculty 2: oh yeah its great hes a visionary

me: :smith:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

higher education being gated behind wealth and socioeconomic status rather than intellectual competence is going to kill our species

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i have a vision of unlimited free pizza

now gimme 'da money. i need it to buy wine.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Wheeee posted:

higher education being gated behind wealth and socioeconomic status rather than intellectual competence is going to kill our species

yeah the conversation proceeded to move into how rational the stock market is and how accurately predicting change in stock tickets from gut reactions of random assholes with no knowledge is actually cool and good and tells us that the stock market is good because

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
eg http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-irrational-markets-20140710-story.html

so rather that seeing huge dopamine surges during stock trading like in response to cocaine or something

its just market worship and how we can further exploit our stupid monkey brains

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

bazomatic posted:

I want to live in a world where people get drunk and instead of giving themselves tattoos, they’re like, ‘I’m drunk, I’m going to CRISPR myself.’

e: tbf living in Perdido Street Station might not suck if you had money, but I foresee way more of the "hey I got this drunk person in here, let's CRISPR them into a horrible loving freak lol" outcomes than not in crazy guy's vision

cool guy

quote:

Josiah Zayner, CEO of the biohacking-promoting startup The Odin, held up a syringe. “This will modify my muscle genes to give me bigger muscles,” he told a packed room at a biotech conference in San Francisco in early October.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

with any luck he will help test vaccines:

'Biohacker' Who Injected Himself with DIY Herpes Treatment Found Dead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

injecting myself with homemade research chemicals to own the libs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/992422042325651456?s=19

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Modern cars are amazingly safe, seriously they are engineering marvels.

Also America has like what 350million people or some poo poo? America's actual gun problem is Democrats continuing to throw histrionic fits over them which do nothing but deliver political power to the GOP on a plate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Modern cars are amazingly safe, seriously they are engineering marvels.

Also America has like what 350million people or some poo poo? America's actual gun problem is Democrats continuing to throw histrionic fits over them which do nothing but deliver political power to the GOP on a plate.

nobody actually gives a gently caress, dude

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

he was found dead in a sensory deprivation chamber, which is cyberpunk as gently caress

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I wonder if it was all just like lovely stew in there wouldn’t that much salt do crazy poo poo to your body over a few days?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bazomatic posted:

+1 Body, upgrades melee stun from M to S, and +1 initiative die.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol did car deaths collapse in 2008 becasue of the recession and kids couldnt afford cars or something

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol did car deaths collapse in 2008 becasue of the recession and kids couldnt afford cars or something

i'm going to guess a combination of the gov't bailout placing more strict safety standards on manufacturers in combination with cash for clunkers taking older more dangerous cars off the road but i honestly have no clue

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

people stopped driving in 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

anime was right posted:

people stopped driving in 2008

ah yeah this is probably it tbh. less trade, less trucks on the road, higher unemployment so less people commuting etc

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the recession caused a big drop in vehicle miles traveled, emissions, etc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if the deaths were primarily correlated with miles traveled it definitely would have rebounded by now- we especially would have seen a more dramatic surge when OPEC nuked prices

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Food Boner posted:

eg http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-irrational-markets-20140710-story.html

so rather that seeing huge dopamine surges during stock trading like in response to cocaine or something

That's because trading stocks is how they earn their cocaine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wheeee posted:

probably, if not that then something else... "intellectual competence" how is that defined, and who defines it?

also there are at least 10 different kinds of intelligence and prioritizing them would be horrible for me and the world, and me especially :wink:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

there are ten kinds of intelligence and im retarded in 6.9 of them

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Food Boner posted:

pretty sure this doesnt matter anymore now that the market is driven by perfectly rational algorithms

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Their fancy plane crashed and killed the pilot, iirc

It's funnier than that. A lever that would tear the ship apart and kill everyone on board if switched too early and had no computer override because :shrug: was switched too early. Can't really blame the copilot for being stupid since none of the training or manuals mentioned this kill switch, it was only ever mentioned in one powerpoint years before he was hired.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

large oblate cat posted:

It's funnier than that. A lever that would tear the ship apart and kill everyone on board if switched too early and had no computer override because :shrug: was switched too early. Can't really blame the copilot for being stupid since none of the training or manuals mentioned this kill switch, it was only ever mentioned in one powerpoint years before he was hired.

lol richard branson built a spaceship with a self-destruct switch

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

pretty sure this doesnt matter anymore now that the market is driven by perfectly rational algorithms

That perfectly simulate irrational speculators

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

in a noir cyberpunk novel: "Looks like PsychoYamada finally ran out of quarters"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/993260955760021506?s=19

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Responsible gun ownership begins early!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lol maverick

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In 5 years we'll either all be working for Maverick, or dead by his hand.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

perfectly healthy country

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this kid is better at reloading a gun than stating his age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3