Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

In Manitoba if you get caught not yielding to a crosswalk 3 times in a 2 year period your yearly license renewal will cost you about $2000

Yes, that's the problem. Rich people can absorb that, poor people cannot. Either you are able to drive safely, or you aren't. If you demonstrate a pattern of driving dangerously, with disregard for the safety of others, it should not matter how much money you do or do not have, you should have your right to drive taken away -- temporarily at first, and later permanently if you just don't learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Wistful of Dollars posted:

To the surprise of no one, Alberta is full of morons.

Ah yes, the infamous "I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal", which really means "I only care about poo poo that matters to me personally and gently caress the rest".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

In Manitoba if you get caught not yielding to a crosswalk 3 times in a 2 year period your yearly license renewal will cost you about $2000

In Manitoba crosswalks are a hosed up situation all together because drivers either don't stop at all, stop in the middle, or slam on their brakes before the lights even start flashing.

Pedestrians on the other hand quite often mash the button and step out into traffic without even braking stride to make sure people are stopping.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

In Manitoba crosswalks are a hosed up situation all together because drivers either don't stop at all, stop in the middle, or slam on their brakes before the lights even start flashing.

Pedestrians on the other hand quite often mash the button and step out into traffic without even braking stride to make sure people are stopping.

If there's a pedestrian at the crosswalk and they're about to push the button, you should still stop just as if there were a crosswalk with no lights on it and a pedestrian about to cross.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
And this is how you get people just standing there on their phones, or waiting for a friend, or loving with their purse, or having a cig causing people to stop for no reason.

When I lived in Ontario those lighted crosswalks were treated the same way as a yellow traffic control light. Don't stop until the actual light comes on, when the light comes on stop unless unsafe to do so, and if you're a pedestrian hitting the light make sure you check to make sure people are stopping before you step your dumb rear end out into traffic.

I absolutely hate how society has prioritized vehicles over pedestrians but the prairie method of mashing the light and immediately stepping off is dumb as all hell.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Every time I try to use the crosswalk by my house I mentally prepare myself to die

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

And this is how you get people just standing there on their phones, or waiting for a friend, or loving with their purse, or having a cig causing people to stop for no reason.

When I lived in Ontario those lighted crosswalks were treated the same way as a yellow traffic control light. Don't stop until the actual light comes on, when the light comes on stop unless unsafe to do so, and if you're a pedestrian hitting the light make sure you check to make sure people are stopping before you step your dumb rear end out into traffic.

I absolutely hate how society has prioritized vehicles over pedestrians but the prairie method of mashing the light and immediately stepping off is dumb as all hell.

Oh yeah, but at the same time, if there's a pedestrian near the crosswalk, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that the lights will come on any second so you're able to stop. If you're watching them press the button, you know what comes next.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

The problem with simply making the rich pay more is that it still doesn't get them off the road, and it makes it even more attractive to rely on traffic tickets as a source of revenue, which is bad. Whatever system exists should, to the maximum extent possible, remove that motivation altogether. It's not about fairness per se, it's about getting dangerous drivers off the road.

I agree

When I meant punishment being proportional to the means, I was not only referring to financial costs. You've said it: the purpose should be public safety.

I for one would find it hilarious for the cops to start targeting luxury vehicles :classiclol:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I agree

When I meant punishment being proportional to the means, I was not only referring to financial costs. You've said it: the purpose should be public safety.

I for one would find it hilarious for the cops to start targeting luxury vehicles :classiclol:

That's fair, but at a certain point we have to recognize that because our society is built around car use, and anything which interferes with an individual's ability to use a car is going to disproportionately affect people with fewer other options. Yet if we want dangerous drivers off the road, we must, by definition, interfere with their ability to drive a car at some point.

The ideal solution for this, like so many things, is to make public transit better.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

The only free speech stalwart on Wilfrid Laurier University’s free expression task force has temporarily resigned.

Liberal arts associate professor David Haskell stepped aside Thursday after learning that the university is demanding $5,473 for unspecified “security costs” for a Lindsay Shepherd-organized free-speech event.
But Wednesday, the LSOI sponsoring faculty member, economics prof Will McNally, was told two things within three minutes — first that Laurier’s new booking policy is to charge “all additional costs” to the sponsoring club or faculty member and second, that the Widdowson event would require “a fee of $5,473” for security.

That led directly to Haskell resigning.

The task force had just had a meeting, where, Haskell said, “I’ve removed myself … It’s incomprehensible I could move forward knowing this is a masturbatory exercise.

What concerns Haskell and McNally – and others – is that because most campus protests and “disruptions” as they are sometimes called, come from left-leaning faculty and students, charging costs back to speakers and organizers means right-leaning organizations are essentially being taxed.

As Haskell put it, “The policy is clearly prejudicial to clubs, faculty and associations that want to bring right-leaning speakers on campus. Now there’s a fee, but it’s not a fee left-leaning groups will ever pay.”

It'd be way more fair to just charge an admission to protesters.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So is there any news on what this Erin Weir guy did or is he just guilty of being an autist?

Doesn't seem like a good news item for the NDP either way. Seems like a good sounding horn for idiots. "SEE? ME TOO HAS GONE TOO FAR"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It'd be way more fair to just charge an admission to protesters.

Seems like there's an easy solution which is to organize right-wing protesters to left-wing speakers though? Or would that be too much work for this dude?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

This just gets more and more ridiculous. I bet WLU doesn't charge $5K+ in security fees for every transgender intersectional feminist guest lecturer that speaks on campus, but of course if the lecturer goes against the narrative, then they need to raise security because the left-wing students might get violent. No logic here.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Seems like there's an easy solution which is to organize right-wing protesters to left-wing speakers though? Or would that be too much work for this dude?

Okay, free speech group, the easy solution to your problem is to go protest the speech of other people. Make Joseph Heller proud.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

The problem is just that Winnipeg is just big enough to actually have regular pedestrians in busier areas but small enough that people have the rural mentality where seeing an actual person walking around isn't something you have to account for (*).

The whole "just big enough to have problem A" but "small enough that people don't think about problem A" is a common one in Winnipeg. Growing pains.

(*) exacerbated by suburban sprawl where many people rarely actually go to densely populated areas so they don't think about pedestrian traffic as a thing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Okay, free speech group, the easy solution to your problem is to go protest the speech of other people. Make Joseph Heller proud.

It's pretty easy to frame that as "you have the right to speak, and we also have the right to speak by publicly displaying our disapproval of the content of your speech."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey Canada thread. I am arguing on Facebook right now with some BC libertarian about why the private sector is better than the government in providing social services for everyone and I feel like I have to drink a gallon of leaded paint just to understand this. I didn't even know BC had libertarians but since the NDP dared to propose a .2% property tax raise to property worth more than 3 million to pay for education and school seismic upgrades they have crawled out of the woodwork. I think someone unironically said taxation is akin to slavery and someone said education is a waste of money anyway.
That is my story. I weep now.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Madkal posted:

I am arguing on Facebook right now with some BC libertarian

You should do something more satisfying and likely to succeed such as discussing poetry with a rock or discussing your favourite album with a bag of sand.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
What am I missing about the Erin Weir story?

from the cbc article

"What, exactly, did Weir do in the first place? Again, that is unclear. Singh said the investigation "found that Mr. Weir failed to read non-verbal cues in social settings and that his behaviour resulted in significant negative impacts to the complainants." It also noted that Weir stopped his advances when he was told they were unwanted.

Weir's office has characterized these encounters as completely innocuous: "The investigator made a general finding of 'sexual harassment' that Weir had probably sat or stood too close to people at social events and engaged them in conversation more than they wished to speak with him."

Fired for standing close to people and talking to them for too long?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

The problem is just that Winnipeg is just big enough to actually have regular pedestrians in busier areas but small enough that people have the rural mentality where seeing an actual person walking around isn't something you have to account for (*).

The whole "just big enough to have problem A" but "small enough that people don't think about problem A" is a common one in Winnipeg. Growing pains.

(*) exacerbated by suburban sprawl where many people rarely actually go to densely populated areas so they don't think about pedestrian traffic as a thing

Counter-point, Brandon only has one or two actual pedestrian corridors and almost every driver will slam on their brakes just to let you cross wherever you feel here, it is amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I hate it when I'm trying to cross the street without a signal or crosswalk and people stop for me. Take your right of way, I'm already assuming you will and taking that into account!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

It's pretty easy to frame that as "you have the right to speak, and we also have the right to speak by publicly displaying our disapproval of the content of your speech."

Well yeah but if they actually only do that, the left wouldn't need to spend any security money right? The incentive is now there for the right to break windows, pull fire alarms, wear masks and engage in the type of lowbrow behaviour that requires increased spending on security. Luckily, it doesn't seem like they have much of an appetite for that.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Hold your event privately if you don’t want to pay the costs associated with renting a space? Why should the university (and thus tax payers) have to pay the cost of security so you can peddle your hate speech?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I hate it when I'm trying to cross the street without a signal or crosswalk and people stop for me. Take your right of way, I'm already assuming you will and taking that into account!

Also a pet peeve of mine. Please just go, you got to the intersection first and have the right of way. Especially since it's often hard or impossible to see whatever waving/hand gestures the driver is making due to angle or glare or reflections off their windshield.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't understand why we absolutely need Faith Goldy to go around spewing literal white nationalist views on campuses. Why can't they invite some moderate right-wing speakers? Where are all the invites for the leadership of the CPC-ML party?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Well yeah but if they actually only do that, the left wouldn't need to spend any security money right? The incentive is now there for the right to break windows, pull fire alarms, wear masks and engage in the type of lowbrow behaviour that requires increased spending on security. Luckily, it doesn't seem like they have much of an appetite for that.

why are you handwringing about literal white nationalists being shutdown by "lowbrow behaviour"

if these scum had the numbers they wish they had they would absolutely do it to feminist speakers, indigenous activists, transpeople. they already gang up and harass people off social media just for speaking out against them

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 4, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why we absolutely need Faith Goldy to go around spewing literal white nationalist views on campuses. Why can't they invite some moderate right-wing speakers? Where are all the invites for the leadership of the CPC-ML party?

The alt-right loves playing the oppression Olympics and pretending to be victims while crying crocodile tears about the evils of the intolerant left who for some reason just wont let them make their arguments for systemic discrimination and ethnic cleansing without protesting. For example see all of Postess’ stupid rear end takes in this thread

THC posted:

why are you handwringing about literal white nationalists being shutdown by "lowbrow behaviour"

Why would the guy constantly talking about Jordan Peterson and the alt-lite in a favourable fashion have a problem with people protesting a literal white nationalist. hmmmh real mystery here

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 4, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yes

Because they're hypocritical cowards that cry persecution whenever their proud boy initiation beat-down is disturbed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Man I'm still voting NDP but why do they make it so hard

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Yes

Because they're hypocritical cowards that cry persecution whenever their proud boy initiation beat-down is disturbed.
They have no real response for even the most basic criticisms of their ideology so they exhaust opponents with pedantry and other cheap debate team tricks, and then when people get fed up and tell them to gently caress off they cry about how persecuted they are and how unreasonable everyone is being. Everything revolves around and ultimately leads back to their cries of victimhood.

Meanwhile if you’re an indigenous woman academic who just says “yo these literal Nazis constantly trying to organize at my workplace are kinda making me feel unsafe” they call you a professional victim and sic their online fans on you until you private all your accounts and move back in with your parents, who will also be harassed by online men from Ohio with names like James or Alex or whatever

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 4, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 25, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

flashy_mcflash posted:

Man I'm still voting NDP but why do they make it so hard

"May the 4th" bullshit aside, if they're supposed to be the good guys, why is she holding a red lightsaber? Only the bad guys use a red one!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

mojo1701a posted:

"May the 4th" bullshit aside, if they're supposed to be the good guys, why is she holding a red lightsaber? Only the bad guys use a red one!

I think it's supposed to be orange. The conservative one was cringier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHXvLfi12m0

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

mojo1701a posted:

it's orange

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Is it? poo poo, must be the colour balance on my work monitor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I think it's supposed to be orange. The conservative one was cringier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHXvLfi12m0

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just lol if your immediate idea for a Conservative Star Wars day doesn't involve Hutts, now that a Ford is back in the mix. Granted, most Hutts are probably slimmer, more pleasant to deal with and slightly less likely to be involved with organized crime, but :shrug:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
welp

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm sure Yoda was pro pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I so want John Oliver to do a And Now This segment on baffling star Wars related ads for Canadian politicians.