Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody try Wild Turkey Longbranch? The promo of it with Matthew McConaughey is a little silly. But I am a definite wild turkey fan. I understand it have additional notes of mesquite/mesquite smoke? Connecting it with Texas in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Demon_Corsair posted:

Nah, thats Alberta Pure. Alberta Premium has been in glass bottles for a few years now. And its a little rough to drink straight but it makes a fantastic manhatten. Their dark horse is good straight up.

Yeah, Alberta Premium is a mixin' rye. Good to know on Dark Horse, I've been meaning to check it out.

I'll actually defend Canadian whisky insofar as you go for something higher than the base offerings (like Wiser's Small Batch and up). They usually don't wow me, but I always enjoy the rich sweetness with spice. Plus they're way cheaper at the LCBO than other whiskies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Grabbed a bottle of Bakers which used to be my favorite bourbon but haven't had any for years, still delicious.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I dunno guys, the only time I ever see Alberta Premium is in plastic mickeys, usually on public transit or in someone's coat pocket at a show. I bought some out of curiosity not too long ago, and I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

As a proud Canadian, I can say that Canadian whisky is pretty much crap. I'll take a cheap bourbon over most Canadian stuff, and once you get into mid-grade bourbons and scotches there's absolutely no comparison.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a shame really because there's not many places making a 100% rye whisk(e)y. If Alberta did a properly aged version done in quality casks they might have gold. As it stands 90% of Canadian whisky is just awful. Shame.

Didn't a Crown Royal rye win an award a year or two back though?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

spankmeister posted:

It's a shame really because there's not many places making a 100% rye whisk(e)y. If Alberta did a properly aged version done in quality casks they might have gold. As it stands 90% of Canadian whisky is just awful. Shame.

The crown Royal northern harvest rye got a lot of attention

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

gwrtheyrn posted:

There was a frenzy over it in Canada. Meanwhile here in the US nobody really bought any bottles.

spankmeister posted:

Well, uh, Whistle Pig and Jefferson Straight Rye in various age statements both come from Alberta Distillers. You're simply not going to see very many ryes more than a few years old though. Way too spicy already, then add charred white American Oak? Yikes I don't think I'm ready for an 18-year-old rye...10-year-old is already pushing it.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 1, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spankmeister posted:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Northern Harvest isn't bad, but I don't love it. Oddly enough, Canadian Club's 100% rye isn't bad for what it is.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't love bourbon nearly that much because of its light flavour.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Crown Northern Harvest seemed to sell briskly here. They had it on an end isle and it was always mostly gone. I remember liking it. It's not bourbon though.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Lot no. 40 is really good,.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Crown Northern Harvest seemed to sell briskly here. They had it on an end isle and it was always mostly gone. I remember liking it. It's not bourbon though.

Yeah, it actually got a lot of attention in the US. The price is certainly right for a 90% rye, but the flavor profile is super gentle. Tastes nothing like American 90%+ ryes. I always wonder whether there might be additives, as they don't need to disclose them in Canada (or in the US, for that matter, unless it's a "straight rye.")

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody try Wild Turkey Longbranch? The promo of it with Matthew McConaughey is a little silly. But I am a definite wild turkey fan. I understand it have additional notes of mesquite/mesquite smoke? Connecting it with Texas in theory.

Hard pass. It's watered down Turkey sold at a big mark-up in a fancy bottle with a celebrity tie-in. I haven't tried it but the reviews I've read aren't promising.

Also, extra charcoal filtration mostly functions to remove flavor rather than add any. The eight-year age statement is something but WT101 is currently 6+ years old already (unless Bruce Russel is openly lying to people).

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 2, 2018

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It got attention because of Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible, but I also remember seeing it languish in K&L’s real-time inventory over a period of weeks. That’s a far cry from Canada where shops were holding lotteries or dealing with lines.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last time I was at WT, Jimmy Russell told us that 101 was a mix of 6,8, and 10 year barrels. But WT has old school warehouses so age statements that close mean less than a place like BT which is climate controlled. But that's why WT needs highly experienced people like Jimmy and Eddie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What are the best American rye whiskeys? I've only had a couple. They have a whole section now at the local store but most I've never heard of.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rittenhouse bottled in bond.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Anything sorta similar to Nikka Coffey Malt? I'm pretty new to whisky but I looked around and settled on picking up a bottle of this, and it really impressed me with the rich, smooth, and sweet package it delivers. Price point kinda pushes it a little for me. Only other tries I've had (in a non-mixed bar drink) were From the Barrel and... Bulleit? Bourbon. The latter were enjoyable but not quuuite to what I'm looking for in a drink.

e: Might want to add I'm fine with leaning towards any one of those three aspects if whatever whisky hits it well. Not just looking to get the same bottle again, tho I can see it may read that way.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2018

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I honestly like Woodford Reserve for that sort of thing (being a bourbon and not a whisky, aside) - it leans smooth and sweet but is a lot easier to find and significantly cheaper than the Nikka Coffey grain stuff. (Which I buy anyway because omg it's my jam.)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

How different is rye from bourbon, especially something high rye like 4R Single Barrel?

I really like high rye bourbon, but I haven't really tried rye. Stores near me don't have samples, and bars don't really stock it so I can try before dropping$40-$50 on a bottle.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Anyone have opinions on colonel eh taylor straight rye? I noticed costco had it the last time I went but didn't really want to go in for a $95 bottle without knowing anything about it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Changing topics off rye for a second, if you can get your hands on Stranahan's new Sherry Cask, it is amazing.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, it actually got a lot of attention in the US. The price is certainly right for a 90% rye, but the flavor profile is super gentle. Tastes nothing like American 90%+ ryes. I always wonder whether there might be additives, as they don't need to disclose them in Canada (or in the US, for that matter, unless it's a "straight rye.")

From the marketing blurb on the back I realized that it's crown royal blended with a 90% rye not that it's actually a proper rye. The amount of rye is actually in it is up for debate. Having tried some I'm guessing not much. Who knows, maybe it's like the Vermouth in a churchhill martini and was just waved in front of the kegs.

Unless I'm mistaking it for something else doesn't whistle pig go for almost $100 a bottle? For that price I'm going with high west.

And I don't think I've seen the Jefferson rye. The Jefferson estates bourbon is fantastic though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Whistle Pig 10 is $72 here, Jefferson’s Straight Rye 10yr was $35, but seemingly discontinued. Masterson’s 10yr is a good substitute for $50.

As for American ryes...most of it is that 95% MGP distillate and tastes perfectly fine to me. Just depends if you want something 2-3 years old, 8 years old or 10 years old.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Good American ryes for the price: Rittenhouse Rye @ ~$20, Sazerac @ ~$25, Pikesville @ ~$40 (Rittenhouse but 6 years old at 110 proof), Rendezvous Rye @ ~$55 (95% rye, decently-aged sourced MGP distillate mixed with a small amount of older rye). Russell's Reserve Rye is pretty solid, too, and I believe Bulliet Rye is a decent option for a younger, sourced MGP 95%er.

I also had a very good Knob Creek Rye barrel pick (bottled at 115 proof, NAS, ~$50) but your mileage will vary on those.

80% of the ryes you'll see on the shelf are cheap, sourced garbage (or even worse: poorly-made craft garbage aged 18 mos) with fancy, misleading marketing and enormous markups.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 3, 2018

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I think the Willett Family Estate Rye is super tasty in ~$40-$50 range

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I think Rittenhouse is one of the best values in whiskey, let alone rye.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Bandit posted:

Yeah it's pretty solid for a young rye, super flavorful (though you can definitely taste the youth). I can get it for around $36 here, which is a decent value. Really looking forward to them putting out a regular release of 4 or 5 year-old product.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Vox Nihili posted:

Good American ryes for the price: Rittenhouse Rye @ ~$20, Sazerac @ ~$25, Pikesville @ ~$40 (Rittenhouse but 6 years old at 110 proof), Rendezvous Rye @ ~$55 (95% rye, decently-aged sourced MGP distillate mixed with a small amount of older rye). Russell's Reserve Rye is pretty solid, too, and I believe Bulliet Rye is a decent option for a younger, sourced MGP 95%er.

I also had a very good Knob Creek Rye barrel pick (bottled at 115 proof, NAS, ~$50) but your mileage will vary on those.

80% of the ryes you'll see on the shelf are cheap, sourced garbage (or even worse: poorly-made craft garbage aged 18 mos) with fancy, misleading marketing and enormous markups.

I wish I could get Rye that cheap. Sazerac here in Canada is going for 57$ and Rittenhouse is
52. Even crown royal which I consider trash is 31.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I've always liked Old Overholt, and while it doesn't compete with the heavy hitters, I think it swings above it's (typically very cheap) price.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

I've always liked Old Overholt, and while it doesn't compete with the heavy hitters, I think it swings above it's (typically very cheap) price.

I miss the old Pikesville Supreme, basically the Heaven Hill version of OO that had limited distribution.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Overholt is like, $12 for a 750ml so yeah, it’s kinda hard to beat at that price point.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

The Bandit posted:

Yes x1000. Templeton 6 yr is also very nice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Isn't Templeton just the usual mgp stuff?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

silvergoose posted:

Isn't Templeton just the usual mgp stuff?

The usual MGP stuff is good.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

TobinHatesYou posted:

Yes to all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hauki posted:

Overholt is like, $12 for a 750ml so yeah, it’s kinda hard to beat at that price point.
Yeah and then Rittenhouse is my other favorite value buy.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I know Bulleit Rye isn't fancy but gently caress if it isn't super balanced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

Well yeah! But then it doesn't matter much which one you get. It's tasty!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So the liquor store didn't have hardly any of the ryes you guys mentioned so I ended up buying Old Forester 100, which is a 4 year bourbon and lets you know it. It's a bit unruly and sweet, but there hints of flavors lingering on the edge. I think 2 more years in the barrel and this would be well worth the $25 price, $10 cheaper and it would be a bargain. Give me some time with it, my first impressions are rarely lasting ones.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah and then Rittenhouse is my other favorite value buy.

I know Bulleit Rye isn't fancy but gently caress if it isn't super balanced.

Yeah I like Rittenhouse a lot at that price point, but I haven't seen it around here lately. Wild turkey rye 101 also used to be ~$20 and one of my go-tos, but I can't remember the last time I saw it anywhere at all. Or the 101 bourbon for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm replenishing my liquor stocks tomorrow. I kinda want to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels because I realized I've never actually drank one of the most famous whiskeys straight, even if it's kinda crappy.

Is Old Crow as good as its reputation for a cheap good whiskey?