Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nice!

Speaking of blowing through stopsigns, does it actually help to call the cops if you see someone run a stopsign and manage to get their plate number? I see plenty of that poo poo but I've never known if it's even worth the trouble of reporting it.

Depends. When I was in Vermont (so, slow boring area) I pulled out onto the main road and was immediately passed by a dude doing 90+ in a 35. I always checked my mirror when making that turn, since it's kind of a blind hill, I needed to know if I had to floor it or not (because people usually speed on that road, and I didn't want to get rear ended at speed). I saw four headlights - two in each lane. I got the car's make, model, and plate, and called the local PD when I got to work. I told them I knew there wasn't anything they could do that day, but it's not really a "one off drive" kind of road. For the next week or so, I saw a cop cruising around when I was going to work, so they were clearly hoping for a repeat performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I'm renting an upholstery cleaner today. There's no reason it shouldn't work on the carpets in my car, right?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Okay, it has been confirmed: having someone deliver your tires to you and also mount the tires, balance them, and dispose of the old tires is a-okay.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Okay, it has been confirmed: having someone deliver your tires to you and also mount the tires, balance them, and dispose of the old tires is a-okay.

Where and how much, right now my plan is for tire rack to deliver to the local NTB for a mounting fee.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My week of bitching about car stuff continues.

I'd like to extend a hearty "gently caress YOU" to the last tech that worked on the Escalade and put both the front caliper brackets and the front caliper rotors on as hard as he loving could with an impact gun. That's great work there, guy. :rolleyes:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

epic bird guy posted:

I'm renting an upholstery cleaner today. There's no reason it shouldn't work on the carpets in my car, right?
Nope, it'll work great. Give them a quick vacuum before hand. We rent at least once a year to do rugs drat dogs and I'll do car carpets, seats, etc while we have it.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That would be nice. I thought I was getting off easy leaving a set of wheels at discount tire to have them mount when they had time. I'll have to go back out but was planning on that anyway.

New wheels and tires are going on the F100 today. Pretty standard d-window wheels in silver finish. I may have to toss a coat of white plastidip on them to see how it looks. Ignoring the wheels on there...white wheels for baby blue truck?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
gently caress UPS. They are demanding $100.51 in "customs and import fees" and holding my package (seatbelts for the FJ45) hostage in loving Windsor until I pay while refusing to send me the invoice so I can't self-clear through the CBSA instead of using their brokerage.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

the spyder posted:

He's 10 and definitely at the hour in-hour out phase. We have to spend an hour to get an hour. I was just thinking last week I was going to find him out there sooner or later. We've been pretty strict with electronics, but he's always found ways to get around it. Waking up at 5AM to watch TV, grabbing my old kindle and downloading youtube, and just last week finding the only unlocked laptop in the house + staying up all night watching youtube. I'm torn between finding a schedule that works (the smart idea) or just blocking all devices on our firewall.

Whichever route you take is the right answer because both are rough. Mine turns 18 and graduates this year (yay we did it) and yeah, from about 10 to now it was always a cat and mouse game on how to regulate what and how much content he consumed. The decision on when and what kind of phone they get is the roughest one by far. Best of luck on that one, its the loving worst.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mr-Spain posted:

Where and how much, right now my plan is for tire rack to deliver to the local NTB for a mounting fee.

ASAP. For some tires but not all, it's a Tire Rack delivery option. It's a hundred bucks but they drop the usual shipping fee (which was about thirty for four teensy 185/55/16 tires for a Honda Fit). I honestly don't remember what it cost the last time I took the car to a shop for new tires, but having someone show up at my house not only on time but forty-five minutes early because he had a cancellation was beautiful. It took maybe half hour, forty five minutes. When ASAP sent me an e-mail to schedule it there was a twenty dollar service fee that hadn't been mentioned, but the dude today said that the service charge is in fact dropped for Tire Rack customers. I gave him twenty bucks in case his boss told him he was short at the end of the day, but otherwise keep it.

That said, he just BRAPBRAPPED the lug nuts back on, so I had to spend thirty seconds with a torque wrench to get things right. I'm sure the pressures are a bit off too, but same thing happens when I go to a shop. (poo poo, when I took the Forester to the dealer for routine maintenance and forgot to tell them not to rotate the tires, they loving ended up putting directional tires on backwards in the front.) So long as the tires are balanced well, it was totally worth it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

gently caress UPS. They are demanding $100.51 in "customs and import fees" and holding my package (seatbelts for the FJ45) hostage in loving Windsor until I pay while refusing to send me the invoice so I can't self-clear through the CBSA instead of using their brokerage.

I got into an argument with a UPS driver because he wouldnt release a package without paying the import fees. Except I had already paid it over the phone. Kept insisting that he needed an authorization number which was fine, since I had the email confirmation indicating I paid and a release authorization number. Except he wouldnt read it, and just said the number had to be given to him by his dispatch.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I got hit with that before, it's even more of a pain in the rear end because UPS won't take cash or card so I had to go to bank to get a money order for the exact amount...which they gave me wrong the first time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys need any car stuff from Ebay?

15% off your Ebay purchase using the code PMAY4TH
$50 min purchase, expires at 4 pacific time.
Max $100 discount I think.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nope, it'll work great. Give them a quick vacuum before hand. We rent at least once a year to do rugs drat dogs and I'll do car carpets, seats, etc while we have it.

Fantastic. Now I just have to wait and see if I'm sick of it after getting the stains out of this drat couch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Is fortnite worth playing as a very casual gamer? Gotta admit, the free to play thing is kind of enticing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

iwentdoodie posted:

Is fortnite worth playing as a very casual gamer? Gotta admit, the free to play thing is kind of enticing.

I personally hate the game's pace and its meta, but the rounds I played with my buddies weren't bad. And it's free, so it's worth a look if you can get a few friends to play in a squad

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How old is your son? Getting my 10yr old to do homework is like pulling teeth, the homework requirements these days for kids is loving ridiculous.

This. My daughter is currently 16, and mildly Spergie. She doesn't do the work in class, so homework is doubly painful. And teachers won't follow the goddamned ARD in place for her. This is at a Charter School, even.
Can't blame them. Administration are buttholes. My cousin just quit teaching. Didn't make it two or three years, I think. Just no support from admin, no defense from rabid parents, and the ever-present not enough funding (yet we all pay school taxes and Texas has a state lottery that supposedly benefits Texas schools.)

the spyder posted:

He's 10 and definitely at the hour in-hour out phase. We have to spend an hour to get an hour. I was just thinking last week I was going to find him out there sooner or later. We've been pretty strict with electronics, but he's always found ways to get around it. Waking up at 5AM to watch TV, grabbing my old kindle and downloading youtube, and just last week finding the only unlocked laptop in the house + staying up all night watching youtube. I'm torn between finding a schedule that works (the smart idea) or just blocking all devices on our firewall.

I use Norton Family on all our devices. Works pretty good. Difficult to police YouTube videos, though, because YouTube refuses to offer any useful parental controls or ratings.
I swear, if I hear another loving screaming idiot from a video my daughter is watching. Why is that even a thing? Literal screaming, overdriving the mic.

The Locator posted:

I had legit tears from laughter when it got to the high heels, that's fantastic.

Not emptyquoting.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would be nice. I thought I was getting off easy leaving a set of wheels at discount tire to have them mount when they had time. I'll have to go back out but was planning on that anyway.

New wheels and tires are going on the F100 today. Pretty standard d-window wheels in silver finish. I may have to toss a coat of white plastidip on them to see how it looks. Ignoring the wheels on there...white wheels for baby blue truck?

Black. Also, I love your truck.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

I use Norton Family on all our devices. Works pretty good. Difficult to police YouTube videos, though, because YouTube refuses to offer any useful parental controls or ratings.
I swear, if I hear another loving screaming idiot from a video my daughter is watching. Why is that even a thing? Literal screaming, overdriving the mic.

Who the gently caress knows, but it influenced my fiance's brother's behavior and he started screaming like that over minor poo poo in video games. Whenever I hear it, I just want to take the controller out of his hands and noogie him until he never does it again

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

If you're talking about Fortnite: Battle Royale (Fortnite, the base game is different, and not free), just be aware that there are a lot of folks on there who play nothing else or are otherwise pretty loving good and will gently caress you up in solo play, which can be frustrating. Also realize that the building mechanic is an integral part of gameplay. Makes it a lot different from PUBG, despite having the same basic gameplay nominally.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iwentdoodie posted:

the skill curve is pretty rough if you're solo. i mean you'll get used to it eventually but be prepared for a couple days of just getting absolutely destroyed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Can't blame them. Administration are buttholes. My cousin just quit teaching. Didn't make it two or three years, I think. Just no support from admin, no defense from rabid parents, and the ever-present not enough funding (yet we all pay school taxes and Texas has a state lottery that supposedly benefits Texas schools.)

Where exactly does the money go, anyway? Are we paying a lower percentage of GDP to schools than we were in 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950? Legit question, although if your answer is just REPUBLICANS!!!!, well, I've heard that one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Who the gently caress knows, but it influenced my fiance's brother's behavior and he started screaming like that over minor poo poo in video games. Whenever I hear it, I just want to take the controller out of his hands and noogie him until he never does it again

Oh, good, then it's not just me and my kid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where exactly does the money go, anyway? Are we paying a lower percentage of GDP to schools than we were in 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950? Legit question, although if your answer is just REPUBLICANS!!!!, well, I've heard that one.

well it certainly doesnt help that charter schools are a loving sham

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Oh, good, then it's not just me and my kid.

Nope. Welcome to kids watching youtube. Everything he watches is just non stop screaming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just lock it down so they can only watch car videos.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

You guys need any car stuff from Ebay?

15% off your Ebay purchase using the code PMAY4TH
$50 min purchase, expires at 4 pacific time.
Max $100 discount I think.

Eyyyyy, thanks for this.

Finally was able to round out my collection of mini-Staub pots! :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not a bloody clue, and I would generalize to POLITICIANS!!!, personally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Eyyyyy, thanks for this.

Finally was able to round out my collection of mini-Staub pots! :v:

I love these codes, they do them several times a month these days.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

Just lock it down so they can only watch car videos.

I do metered time with the kid's internet access and whitelist MAC addy's at the router. Turn his devices off and on from LAN at my whim. If he's on approved time and I hear ridiculous screaming from whatever dumb poo poo youtube he's watching I drop the QoS of his devices to "3rd world country" and he gets to spend his internet time watching the buffering icon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Any UK guys going to Japfest on Sunday?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I do metered time with the kid's internet access and whitelist MAC addy's at the router. Turn his devices off and on from LAN at my whim. If he's on approved time and I hear ridiculous screaming from whatever dumb poo poo youtube he's watching I drop the QoS of his devices to "3rd world country" and he gets to spend his internet time watching the buffering icon.

You're a monster.

Bravo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

well it certainly doesnt help that charter schools are a loving sham

Beginning to believe that.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nope. Welcome to kids watching youtube. Everything he watches is just non stop screaming.

Ugh. Why.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Beauty. Mine knows that I can blacklist her devices, so generally she doesn't try to cheat when she's grounded.
I may need to put time-of-day limits on her access, since she tends to sleep all day and get up in the middle of the night and make noise giggling at videos.

sdit: I never thought of making her connection crap rather than killing it entirely, though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's a bit more complex than that, but yeah, we are funneling less money into schools in general. A lot of it has to do with the way that school funding is structured, and especially things like the No Child Left Behind act/
Where does the money go instead? No idea. Given the current administration though I guessing to lawyers and hush money :chaostrump:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

I may need to put time-of-day limits on her access, since she tends to sleep all day and get up in the middle of the night and make noise giggling at videos.

I suggest you do. I axe my kid's device access at night. Go to sleep you little poo poo.

Or stare at the wall at 3 am silently yelling into the void like a true adult. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

It's a bit more complex than that, but yeah, we are funneling less money into schools in general. A lot of it has to do with the way that school funding is structured, and especially things like the No Child Left Behind act/
Where does the money go instead? No idea. Given the current administration though I guessing to lawyers and hush money :chaostrump:

NCLB was replaced by ESSA actually,

https://www.ed.gov/essa?src=ft

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've GOT to figure out how to do this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It'll be a proud day when he learns how to sniff MAC addresses and spoofs his device. Wireshark skills are valuable these days.

I wonder what the tech situation is going to be like when I'm a parent. Right now, I could easily set up a second SSID for the kids, DNS blacklist poo poo I don't want, turn it off after 9, whatever. Thanks to my job I've got software that would let me aggregate and analyze terabytes of netflow, dns logs, hotspot association logs; I could build dashboards to show me who was using the network last night and what sites they hit. In 10 years, though, will free municipal wireless become a thing? Will we even be using wifi any more, or will there be some new home networking standard that you *can't* run on a little FreeBSD box?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tide posted:

I've GOT to figure out how to do this.
MAC filtering for network access is pretty self explanatory in most routers (some might even label it Parental Controls). QoS by router varies wildly and you're gonna be doing some research.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It'll be a proud day when he learns how to sniff MAC addresses and spoofs his device. Wireshark skills are valuable these days.
I was initially worried about this as a new parent but at the end of the day you still need just need to be a parent. Yeah I can automate the internet side like an rear end in a top hat and metering gives the kid a visible goal to achieve while at home but basic stuff still gets the job done. Getting out the house, "you're coming with me while I run errands", eating meals together, etc. If you're spending the afternoon/evening doing meaningful stuff and killing internet/tv at night there's just less time to be wasted on listening to screaming youtube fuckwits.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 4, 2018

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wonder what the tech situation is going to be like when I'm a parent. Right now, I could easily set up a second SSID for the kids, DNS blacklist poo poo I don't want, turn it off after 9, whatever. Thanks to my job I've got software that would let me aggregate and analyze terabytes of netflow, dns logs, hotspot association logs; I could build dashboards to show me who was using the network last night and what sites they hit. In 10 years, though, will free municipal wireless become a thing? Will we even be using wifi any more, or will there be some new home networking standard that you *can't* run on a little FreeBSD box?

I have been thinking about the same thing. My wife is due in August, and one of her biggest worries is about how do we manage our future daughters internet usage/what content she sees. I am less worried since I know how to manage networks and have nice enough equipment to let me easily control it, and honestly, if she can out smart me and get around my filters/security I would be proud. At least now companys are coming out with kid specific devices that have curated content and remote control functionality, so you can shut down their access remotely. Its gonna be interesting to say the least, but at this point I am more focused on making sure I can keep her alive for the first couple years....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's some pro-parenting. "ENJOY DIALUP YOU LITTLE poo poo"

Mine is still young enough that she doesn't have any of her own devices that she has otherwise unrestricted access to. I've also never let her on Youtube by herself.

In "today I feel old because" news... I saw a Viper with historic plates on it.

• Locked thread