Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I had a busy day at work, so I can't go back to quote all of the relevant posts, but I do want to thank you for your suggestions on Party Games. Sadly, it seems that most of the suggestions I have tried, or get covered by Jackbox. I am inspired to run Deception at a higher player count before I dump it, however.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

discount cathouse posted:

are the expansions (crossroads and dead ends / door to the oniverse) worth getting?

Yes, it funds more Oniverse development.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bottom Liner posted:

Huh, the new Kemet expansion is one vs many. It lets the coop players merge armies and share powers and stuff. Neat.

We came across this info a year ago and my gaming group was immediately excited to gang up on me when they heard about it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Oh nice the Estates kick starter unlocked the final cosmetic stretch goal despite not quite hitting the mark.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/capstonegames/the-estates/updates

Still a day left though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FirstAidKite posted:

A friend really loves Clank! and she's getting Clank! for her birthday.
We're thinking of getting her one of the expansions. Does anyone here have any experience with them and can recommend one? If she only had one of the two expansions, which one should we get for her?

So the water one, you can get it and just jam all the cards together, and it's just like, two new boards to play on and generally 'more' stuff. A few of the cards are expansion specific, but it's easy to just accept them, or deal a new card if they come up, or whatever.

The mummy expansion actually plays pretty differently and has new mechanics and stuff, and you can only really use those cards on that board.

I think the water one is better first, and the mummy one down the line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way to migrate my purchase of the Ticket to Ride Europe iOS app to their new all in one TtR app? Or am I stuck paying $8.99+0.99 to get Europe back again?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jivjov posted:

Is there any way to migrate my purchase of the Ticket to Ride Europe iOS app to their new all in one TtR app? Or am I stuck paying $8.99+0.99 to get Europe back again?

Nope! They did the same thing a long time ago with the universal app - iPhone/iPad split

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
drat...I just want to pay TtR Europe but I don't want to pay for it again when my app is RIGHT THERE :( I should at least get that $3.99 or whatever it was discounted off the new app...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/tfowers/status/992122122821517312

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Wow, so I finally played the copy of Lisboa that I bought at Origins last year (11 months ago). That game is loving great.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

That sounds amazing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That sounds really intriguing. I will admist that I find his games like 90 percent complete, but the concepts and presentation are always aces.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If I already have Ra, is High Society worth getting? Or is the answer Modern Art?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think Modern Art is better if you have Ra, since it adds a sort of player economy aspect to the game. Players immediately know the VP value in Ra and High Society, but the VP values are determined by player actions at the end of the round in Modern Art. If your group really likes auction games, you should look into For Sale. For Sale scales well to six players, and provides a chance for poor auctioneers to come back in the selling phase.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'd get Modern Art, it's different enough for sure. High Society (I have the Einfach Tierisch retheme) has always been a light filler game for me and fine at that, but just that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks! I saw the beautiful art nouveau for the reprint but, like everything else, I could just look at that elsewhere and don't need it in my games. I've been looking at For Sale too, but I think that also clashes with me getting The Estates at some point. I believe Clay will actually release it to the wild and the KS-exclusive sleeve isn't worth the $10-15 difference in cost.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks! I saw the beautiful art nouveau for the reprint but, like everything else, I could just look at that elsewhere and don't need it in my games. I've been looking at For Sale too, but I think that also clashes with me getting The Estates at some point. I believe Clay will actually release it to the wild and the KS-exclusive sleeve isn't worth the $10-15 difference in cost.

I'm curious why you keep saying ordering The Estates from Kickstarter will be more expensive than retail. Is there a retail price announced somewhere? Or are you just going to wait to get it on sale somewhere?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I love Modern Art. It's my favorite Knizia and the new edition is beautiful, for someone who likes auction games I can't think of a better game at that weight/playing time (ok Ponzi Scheme is close but it's a little heavier and a little longer).

FACKER posted:

I'm curious why you keep saying ordering The Estates from Kickstarter will be more expensive than retail. Is there a retail price announced somewhere? Or are you just going to wait to get it on sale somewhere?

MM and the like usually have Capstone games and it's generally a bit cheaper + you can customer hold for free shipping. It's the same with popular games on GMT's p500 although you get them a bit later too of course.

edit: Apparently 1822plus is coming out in a few weeks (expansion to the Heavy Cardboard GotY) per their 18xx mailing list.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 4, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FACKER posted:

Historically, this has been the case. This is why there's a big argument for KS exclusives. Personally, the usual reason why I'd back something on KS is if I don't think it would exist otherwise. The case for my Gentes/Endeavor backing is my love for extremely stupidly overproduced midweight euro poo poo. I also have Orleans. There's a threat of FOMO, but this is Capstone Games and they've always eventually delivered foreign games for US distribution.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of kickstarters, did anything ever happen with Final Attack after the kickstarter failed? Does Broken Loose even still come to this thread?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
A group of children showed Broken Loose that the Fun was in his heart the whole time, so he uttered the forbidden joke and burst into a million pieces. And henceforth people could play games without describing them with useless qualifiers

They made a direct to vhs disney movie about it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fellis posted:

A group of children showed Broken Loose that the Fun was in his heart the whole time, so he uttered the forbidden joke and burst into a million pieces. And henceforth people could play games without describing them with useless qualifiers

Finally! Now I am free to admit how much fun I have playing 18xx! I let out a primal shout of joy when I play these games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On tabletop day I saw someone with this massive rear end box for a game called Heavy Assault(?) that was giant mechs fighting. Never heard of it, looked like a bloated Kickstarter release. Thought it was related to Broken Loose but I guess he got beat to the market.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So a guy on reddit claimed the dice tower was the best review channel because "they weren't like all the other SJWs, and when they didn't like a game based on its theme they were at least unbiased and objective about it". I replied simply "what a manchild" and got banned from the subreddit. :lol:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They didn't like Chaos because it has fake demons. As opposed to the fake demons they believe in.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

So a guy on reddit claimed the dice tower was the best review channel because "they weren't like all the other SJWs, and when they didn't like a game based on its theme they were at least unbiased and objective about it". I replied simply "what a manchild" and got banned from the subreddit. :lol:

That's funny, he's the most manchild of manchildren.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not even a true statement though because Dice Tower as a brand is pretty vocal about the depiction of women in games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Level 99's train game Kickstarter is live. Looks great, haven't some folks here played it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/empyreal-spells-and-steam-a-fantasy-railway-buildi

They also have a TTS module available.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Fellis posted:

I miiss BLs insightful commentary on games, and I wish that Kickstarter had to fruition.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I miiss BLs insightful commentary on games, and I wish that Kickstarter had to fruition.

same :(

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have an early start and a long drive to play a game I've never heard if before called Maria with strangers. I watched that big play through that seems to be the only rules explanation on YouTube. I'm excited!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Fat Turkey posted:

I have an early start and a long drive to play a game I've never heard if before called Maria with strangers. I watched that big play through that seems to be the only rules explanation on YouTube. I'm excited!

Game is good. Enjoy!

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bottom Liner posted:

Level 99's train game Kickstarter is live. Looks great, haven't some folks here played it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/empyreal-spells-and-steam-a-fantasy-railway-buildi

They also have a TTS module available.

Really curious about this one too as Level99s stuff has been mostly good in the past but having been burnt on the general hypetrain for other Kickstarter releases it would be good to hear some anecdotal experience....

They indicate there may not be a retail release too, depending on how the KS goes, although that could be just good old FOMO marketing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Level99 makes good stuff, knows how to get games out the door, and it's the designer from Argent, which is pretty good. Seems pretty promising, overall.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blamestorm posted:

Really curious about this one too as Level99s stuff has been mostly good in the past but having been burnt on the general hypetrain for other Kickstarter releases it would be good to hear some anecdotal experience....

They indicate there may not be a retail release too, depending on how the KS goes, although that could be just good old FOMO marketing.

If you have tabletop simulator, they made an official mod for it that is free to download so you can try out empyreal before you kickstart it :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FACKER posted:

Haha. So I just looked at the estates KS about it funding. About 12 hours ago, when I posted about the estates, it looks like there was a comment straight from Ross:

Clay Ross Creator about 12 hours ago
@Ben: It should be available for retail sales in November

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I found the one game that beats Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant for the longest BGG sidebar title. It's this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/222566/intermission-duel-during-falling-cherry-blossoms-h

Such a magnificent title. :allears:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Yep. He, and the discussion he generated on this forum, really made me analyze games more closely.

Plus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is wants to get an escape room game, but I seem to remember that they're all crap in one way or another. What's the consensus on which ones are best?