Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

buglord posted:

I read that AMD's iGPU solution with the 2200G/2400G blew intel's iGPU offerings out of the water, as far as graphics performance is concerned. Are there any indications of where this is going in the future? Even though I have a GTX 1070, it's really cool to see that you can actually game without a GPU and without relegating yourself to Flash-like steam games.

e: I mean yeah it seems like the 2400G is comparable to a discrete 1030GT which isnt much. But I bet I could play New Vegas or something on it.

It's going to be tough to go any farther using system memory, there just isn't a lot of bandwidth there to play with (and getting significant gains from delta compression is hard). AMD is apparently developing their own equivalent to Kaby Lake-G called Fenghuang, which is a 28-CU APU with HBM2 (probably for embedded, not socketed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Embedded being like, baked in and not something you can swap in/out?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's looking like a BGA socket, package, so factory soldered to a board. 2GB HBM2.

Could be interesting in a tiny game box. Maybe a NUC with a glowing monster truck.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I mean, quadchannel is a thing but the additional die space for the IMC, additional traces, and thus added expense don't really add up to a product that properly targets it's market segment anymore, and iGPU will at best only ever tickle the underside of midrange dGPUs. It's why AMD is researching "Near Memory" basically low power, easy to add in HBM for CPUs/APUs that will alleviate the bottleneck cheaply. Even 1GB of oldschool HBM would have been like , +30% performance, +/-5%, for Ravens iGPU. Which means Vega 8 would consistently beat the GT 1030 by about 10-15%, and Vega 11 would probably overtake the RX460 with an overclock.

It's more also that Near Memory probably solves Zens biggest weakness, it's absolute hunger for high bandwidth, low latency memory. Again, even 1GB of old school HBM as L4 would probably fix it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMDs plans leaked:

TR+ in August, whatever the hell Z490 chipset is (integrated wifi? rebranding to keep up with the joneses and Z390?) in Summer.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12711/german-it-distributor-publishes-amd-intel-roadmaps-z490-z390-8core-cfl-in-q4

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
4 months for them to harvest up all the best 12nm dies. 32 threads @ 4.3-4.4 along with the latency improvements should OWN HARD.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Someone needs to jail the necromancer who demands 760G around. Like why even the gently caress dude, upgrade already goddamn.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FaustianQ posted:

Someone needs to jail the necromancer who demands 760G around. Like why even the gently caress dude, upgrade already goddamn.

I bet there's a lot of unsold AM3(+) inventory for some reason :haw:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

AM3: A decade of garbage.

It's going to be a literal decade because it launched in 2009 and it looks like the socket will stick around until well into 2019 at a minimum.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 3, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not cool dudes, no complaining about long-lived backward/forward compatibility please. Take it to the Intel thread.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

It's really too bad AM3+ never really got a last hurrah in like, 2015. But 760G is some ancient poo poo, and so is whatever you can stick in AM3/+. Like, if you wanted to continue to support that old platform at this point why not just make a new chipset so they're full and properly featured? Most 760G boards lack the VRMs necessary to push Phenoms and Visheras properly, so gently caress why?

And then it's just wasted money anyway, just let them die, reprocess them or something. Make a deal for some low end NUClikes with Kaveri or Carizzo as they still have potential but lmao Bulldozer is dead even the lowest end SKU of Ryzen absolutely crushes it on performance and price.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I really want to know what the roadmap is for a Zen based successor to the G-series embedded SoCs is like, myself.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eight new security vulnerabilities affecting Intel chips found. Details are currently under a 90 day embargo, ending May 7th. In case you were wondering, AMD processors do not appear to be affected by these exploits, (hi paul) but they have found some ARM chips that are vulnerable.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-intel/next-generation-flaws-found-on-computer-processors-magazine-idUSKBN1I42BZ

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bloody Antlers posted:

AMD processors do not appear to be affected by these exploits

So why did you post here

EDIT: In more relevant news, AMD is going to release their patches soon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dual channel memory 2700U laptop review, something I know some folks were waitin for:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12709/the-acer-swift-3-sf31541-review-ryzen-meets-laptop

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

So why did you post here
Laughing at Intel is 100% relevant to this thread

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

So why did you post here

Because I beat him to the Intel thread :colbert:

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

So why did you post here

cool, AMD finally took a minute to deal with that super serious big deal problem, where you could totally pwn an AMD system after convincing the owner to flash their BIOS with a third party crafted malicious image. Oh, also they are patching that other thing where if you have physical access to the system, you could in theory do some bad stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bloody Antlers posted:

cool, AMD finally took a minute to deal with that super serious big deal problem, where you could totally pwn an AMD system after convincing the owner to flash their BIOS with a third party crafted malicious image. Oh, also they are patching that other thing where if you have physical access to the system, you could in theory do some bad stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

It's pretty cool pr for AMD tbh. It's all good.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I really want to know what the roadmap is for a Zen based successor to the G-series embedded SoCs is like, myself.

Well, the 2200GE and 2400GE are coming soon, both 35W SKUs and both basically screaming to be included in a NUClike. Honestly, ASRock just needs to get off their rear end an produce a Mini-STX board for AM4.

I wonder if the upcoming Atari is using the full quad channel capability of Bristol Ridge? My understanding is that the memory controllers between Steamroller and Excavator are very similar, so Kaveri had the option of running 256 bit DDR3 (and supporting up to DDR3 2400Mhz) could improve performance substantially. If such an option exists for Bristol Ridge, could Atari have some kind of custom GDDR5+DDR4 solution? They were saying their Bristol was semi-custom, so this is what I'd assume, it'd allow AMD to just dump all their inventory and the Atari would have just sub Xbox One performance.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wait, wait, wait: Is AMD seriously about to do 7nm with GloFo & IBM before Intel unfucks their 10nm gamble?

Because if so that's pretty LOL worthy.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

Wait, wait, wait: Is AMD seriously about to do 7nm with GloFo & IBM before Intel unfucks their 10nm gamble?

Because if so that's pretty LOL worthy.

Yes, but not GloFo, seems Ryzen 3000 will be TSMC because GloFo is delayed. They'll instead be handling 12nm until mid next year if my understanding is correct.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

Yes, but not GloFo, seems Ryzen 3000 will be TSMC because GloFo is delayed. They'll instead be handling 12nm until mid next year if my understanding is correct.

TSMC and Gloflo are apart of the same research group so their 7nm stuff isn't too different, just gloflo being gloflow here.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

So why did you post here

To get a row out of you I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

TSMC and Gloflo are apart of the same research group so their 7nm stuff isn't too different, just gloflo being gloflow here.

TSMC isn’t a member of IBMs research alliance I don’t think.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cygni posted:

TSMC isn’t a member of IBMs research alliance I don’t think.

Could've sworn they joined.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I remember having an argument with someone on Ars about this back in March, they were defending the scammers with nonsense such as:

quote:

They still have a fair chance of fixing it and having patches ready . The difference is that they have to start fully working from day one thanks to public pressure. Providing a 90 period to disclose anything doesn't make too much sense since you don't know exactly how much is going to take . Those standard periods are just arbitrary . The only reasonable period to provide fixes and mitigations is the shortest one, which could be shorter or longer than the arbitrary 90 days.

Regarding the stock manipulation issue. With the arbitrary 90 period for the vendor, you are giving them the chance to manipulate the stock and take advantage of it for a long time. Plenty of chance for insider trading. . I find it far more dishonest to keep selling flawed and insecure products whiteout telling your customers about it, effectively scaming your customers. I don't see how that situation is any better.

My head still hurts from the mental gymnastics.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Measly Twerp posted:

I remember having an argument with someone on Ars about this back in March, they were defending the scammers with nonsense such as:

My head still hurts from the mental gymnastics.

Started to reply but then the apathy set in, you know exactly how it is.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Started to reply but then the apathy set in, you know exactly how it is.

That feeling when you write most of a reply to someone being dumb and then just delete it. :smith:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.techspot.com/news/74441-tsmc-stacked-wafer-tech-could-double-power-nvidia.html

quote:

The Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, better known as TSMC, is holding its 24th annual Technology Symposium in Santa Clara right now, and it’s just unveiled a process that could spell a revolution for graphics cards: Wafer-on-Wafer (WoW) technology.

As the name suggests, WoW works by stacking layers vertically rather than placing them horizontally across a board, much like how 3D NAND flash memory is stacked in modern solid-state drives. What this means is more powerful GPUs for Nvidia and AMD without the need to increase their physical size or shrink the fabrication process.

Or, ostensibly, also future CPUs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My understanding was that die size itself was a limiting factor because fault rates increased along with die area. Does WoW get around that by mixing and matching layers, or is (probably) my understanding out of whack? For some applications the physical size of the package is an issue, obviously, but not for high end parts really.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Have they figured a way to avoid cooking the bottom die, because that's always been the biggest issue with stacking dies.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unless some additional details were in the presentation that haven't been covered in the articles, I think its use will be strictly-limited to high-yield processes, i.e., 16nm and larger.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Have they figured a way to avoid cooking the bottom die, because that's always been the biggest issue with stacking dies.

:same:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arzachel posted:

The way it looks in the docs, they are proposing essentially spinning off everything low power draw and not super heat sensitive into the lower die (FIVR, I/O, memory controller, L3 cache, special decode engines etc), while the top die becomes the high power stuff (processing cores or shaders or whatever)

Seems like another proposal for dealing with a world where process improvement slows to a crawl, and pretty similar to the original concept docs that lead to HBM.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Moore's Law, he dead

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What if we doubled the cores every 1.5 years? :newlol:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Increasingly desperate workarounds and countermeasures don't make Moore's Law not dead

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm sure the answer is "We don't know", but is there any sense of how much of an improvement Ryzen 2 might be over Ryzen+? The R7 2700X is enticing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rastor posted:

Moore's Law, he dead

Is it 2012?