Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I hope the guy is doing well. Wonder how his suit is coming along :smuggo:

Will you be attending tonight’s whale feeding event, MoMA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The point isn't that there is an abundance of idiot nerds it's that CIG quadrupled the size of their 2017 convention which seemed odd. I don't think interest in the game has grown at all.

It isn't because they are in the US this year either because their past conventions in California at the height of the autistic fervor for spaceships weren't half this big.

Maybe it's just what venues are available at each location each year but I'll throw out the baseless speculation that they need to increase the amount of marks to scam in person. You get nerds whipped into a frenzy because they are meeting their hero and with an excited crowd so they are probably more likely to buy the spaceships you are going to be advertising to them with literal commercials during the presentation.

I don't think anyone keeps track but I'd be curious to see how MLM scams evolve and if they also would expand the quantity of potential marks to address cash flow issues.

By definition an MLM has to keep expanding the number of marks for each tier.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The point isn't that there is an abundance of idiot nerds it's that CIG quadrupled the size of their 2017 convention which seemed odd. I don't think interest in the game has grown at all.

It isn't because they are in the US this year either because their past conventions in California at the height of the autistic fervor for spaceships weren't half this big.

Maybe it's just what venues are available at each location each year but I'll throw out the baseless speculation that they need to increase the amount of marks to scam in person. You get nerds whipped into a frenzy because they are meeting their hero and with an excited crowd so they are probably more likely to buy the spaceships you are going to be advertising to them with literal commercials during the presentation.

I don't think anyone keeps track but I'd be curious to see how MLM scams evolve and if they also would expand the quantity of potential marks to address cash flow issues.

I find it easier to believe they actuality fell for their own hype and, after selling the tickets for the previous convention in seconds, overestimated the demand.

They have a few thousand whales (based on how fast limited expensive ships sell) so perhaps they are expecting a large percentage to attend.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ManofManyAliases posted:

Somewhere behind the scenes there is a secret MoMA who improves on the current ones in every way. We await his reveal...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Much like Star Citizen, we have yet to enter the Discovery phase.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
How many times have they announced changes to their release/development cycle or method? And how many times has it not changed anything?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I dunno what i was trying to do,ehh feel free to do something with this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pixelate posted:

Somewhere behind the scenes there is a secret MoMA who improves on the current ones in every way. We await his reveal...

He's too busy eating up cold lunch and hot air imo.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Which MLM would your cousin (yes, that cousin, we all have one) be more likely to suckered in by? The one in the local Best Western meeting room at 12:30, hosted by a balding guy that drives a 2004 Honda Accord, or the 3-day Scamstravaganza filled with 500 people* whooping their heads off and run by a guy starting off showing off his new oceanfront mansion**? There's a reason "fake it til you make it." works--it's easier to convince people you're successful if you look the part.

This is to:
assure whales that the wheels haven't fallen off,
reinforce that it's completely reasonable to give people thousands of dollars for a video game despite what friends, family, and the Internet are saying,
provide a pretext for CR and family to spend ridiculous amounts of backer money on accommodations for the music festivals, but it's totally ok because of "dual use." Besides, the backers will never know.

*Attractive ladies and participants strongly enthusiastic about the product are not obligated to disclose their position as paid promoters.
**it's a rental.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: just how more do we have to bear?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizer: Bear With Us

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Contingency posted:

Which MLM would your cousin (yes, that cousin, we all have one) be more likely to suckered in by? The one in the local Best Western meeting room at 12:30, hosted by a balding guy that drives a 2004 Honda Accord, or the 3-day Scamstravaganza filled with 500 people* whooping their heads off and run by a guy starting off showing off his new oceanfront mansion**? There's a reason "fake it til you make it." works--it's easier to convince people you're successful if you look the part.

This is to:
  • assure whales that the wheels haven't fallen off,
  • reinforce that it's completely reasonable to give people thousands of dollars for a video game despite what friends, family, and the Internet are saying,
  • provide a pretext for CR and family to spend ridiculous amounts of backer money on accommodations for the music festivals, but it's totally ok because of "dual use." Besides, the backers will never know.

*Attractive ladies and participants strongly enthusiastic about the product are not obligated to disclose their position as paid promoters.

**it's a rental.

:five:

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

All the Rules of Acquisition apply to CIG perfectly.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Come on, goons, stop being so derogatory towards MLMs so as to compare them to CIG. MLMs don't deserve that poo poo. I mean, they're still lovely, deceptive scams that prey on gullible marks, but they're no Captain McWavy Paws.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koil posted:

All the Rules of Acquisition apply to CIG perfectly.

FEEEEEEEMMMMAAAAALES?! IN MY SPACE GAME?! ?

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Taintrunner posted:

FEEEEEEEMMMMAAAAALES?! IN MY SPACE GAME?! ?

we are still designing the .. err.. clothing..

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

especially sandwiched between ACL weekends, one of the biggest music festivals in the US

hotel prices are going to be loving insane

:homebrew: :laffo:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Holy poo poo, I don't even think San Francisco/Silicon Valley prices were that bad when I did my trip over US West Coast last year.

Welp, glad Crobblers is at least making sure some serious $$$ reaches people who actually do their loving job. Or at least equal to or greater on average per night than the actual loving ticket :lol:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 4, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's ok everyone Clifford is putting the entire team up in his ranch

Clothing optional

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

G0RF posted:

Will you be attending tonight’s whale feeding event, MoMA?

I didn't buy tickets to the Backer's Dinner. Besides, I'm attending a function for work tonight anyway - couldn't get out of it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I didn't buy tickets to the Backer's Dinner. Besides, I'm attending a function for work tonight anyway - couldn't get out of it.

Is the Work Obligation the Backer’s Dinner? If so, I can understand why that would be mandatory.

(I kid I kid...)

“Citizenship must be earned.”

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Burning with curiosity about the goings-on at the Whale Dinner

Crowd breaks into spontaneous applause when the first dinner course comes out: procedurally-generated eggs

One lucky whale wins the door prize - 5 minutes of conversation with an actual female

Fun parlor game - how many whales have to be gathered together before they can clip through the floor of the break room?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shadowlyger posted:

Ever heard of Blizzcon? 35,000 people last year. Tickets tend to sell out in a matter of seconds.

They've had to expand the Anaheim Convention Center several times, just for Blizzcon.

What the world really needs is SmartCon.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder how many bought tickets without giving a thought to the prices of hotel rooms during a giant music festival. I hope there are some good lols coming soon.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

I wonder how many bought tickets without giving a thought to the prices of hotel rooms during a giant music festival. I hope there are some good lols coming soon.

Not to worry, I'm sure CIG will do the right thing and give them refunds

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

new jpeg prices:

C2 (civilian cargo): $300 fresh cash/$360 store credit

M2 (militarized cargo): $400 fresh cash/$480 store credit

A2 (gunship): $600 fresh cash/$700 store credit

As usual, only fresh cash purchases come with LTI and there's a $1500 bundle that includes all three

:laffo: like what does it take for people to go "hang on I think these guys might be loving me"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jason Sextro posted:

Not to worry, I'm sure CIG will do the right thing and give them refunds

Store credit only. Not that citizens would mind that.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

new jpeg prices:

C2 (civilian cargo): $300 fresh cash/$360 store credit

M2 (militarized cargo): $400 fresh cash/$480 store credit

A2 (gunship): $600 fresh cash/$700 store credit

As usual, only fresh cash purchases come with LTI and there's a $1500 bundle that includes all three

:laffo: like what does it take for people to go "hang on I think these guys might be loving me"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8h20k4/ok_this_warbond_thing_is_getting_out_of_hand/

:ohdear:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The whole idea of warbonds is , as usual with Chris Robert's cribbed directly from wwII

And yes it was a way for the government to get money to keep their lines of production going

In fact the only difference is this time its Chris recieving unjust enrichment instead of a pile of congressmen and factory owners

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I'm the $800 value for the low, low price of just $600!

But wait....

There's more.... and it's always worse

If you call now,

They'll throw in a god damned tank. Because, gently caress it.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 4, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/NOOBIFIER1337/status/992493267882147840
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/992496991560232962

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Pre SALE?

sure they mean pre-PROMOTION?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
"$800 value for spending $600"

"value"

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Someone should photoshop crobbers' face onto Stan from Monkey Island 1. It's basically the same guy.

EDIT: It's even got a Grog machine for Derek to beat up

Mangoose fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Pre SALE?

sure they mean pre-PROMOTION?

"No, YOU guys use the word 'sale'..."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Imagine I posted that "I don't want to live on this planet any more" clip from Futurama here.

Like... spend your money however you want but holy poo poo dude.

I don't know why the worst part about his tweet about imaginary spaceships having an imaginary smell in his imaginary hangar is the fact that he spelled 'hangar' wrong, but it is

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Beet Wagon posted:

Imagine I posted that "I don't want to live on this planet any more" clip from Futurama here.

Like... spend your money however you want but holy poo poo dude.

I don't know why the worst part about his tweet about imaginary spaceships having an imaginary smell in his imaginary hangar is the fact that he spelled 'hangar' wrong, but it is

I suspect "hanger" has become a meme among backers by now, because godddamn, some of these guys have well paid jobs.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Quavers posted:

:siren: CitizenCon tickets selling fast! :siren:

Of the 600 Premium tickets, ALL have sold! :toot:

Of the 1800 Standard tickets, 537 have sold! :negative:

Just upgrade 1200 standard tickets to premium class. Voila! Problem solved!

Call me CIG. I gots lotsa good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Krycek posted:

I'm the $800 value for the low, low price of just $600!

But wait....

There's more.... and it's always worse

If you call now,

They'll throw in a god damned tank. Because, gently caress it.

You forgot the MOAB.

gently caress it, why not some self-propelled artillery while we're at it? They can't even get a gods-be-damned space bike to fly straight, but never mind. Why not try to model the entirety of loving ground combat? World of Tanks is a thing, we can throw that into CryEngine with just a few mods, right?

What makes me grind my teeth is how loving proud they are of it. "Look at it! It's so cool and hardcore! See the tanks driving off of it? Here's a picture we ripped off showing all of the poo poo it can carry!"

THERE IS NO GAME IN WHICH TO USE THIS TRIANGULAR HEAP OF poo poo. THERE. IS. NO. loving. GAME.

:argh: