Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's some pro-parenting. "ENJOY DIALUP YOU LITTLE poo poo"

I wish this were feasible; I think, "By restricting it to 100 kbps or so, my child will consume more text, as I did when I was young." Reality: modern websites loving blow. Your kid is gonna spend 2 minutes staring at a blank screen because the text won't render until the webfonts have downloaded and all the javascript is finished loading. Then the server will time out and give up because who, WHO in this modern world has a < 1 Mbps internet connection? And they'll be left staring at a blank page.

My personal website uses no javascript and just some minimal CSS while still looking good and re-flowing text properly on pretty much any device, but that's a single drop of clean water in a giant pool of sewage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wish this were feasible; I think, "By restricting it to 100 kbps or so, my child will consume more text, as I did when I was young." Reality: modern websites loving blow. Your kid is gonna spend 2 minutes staring at a blank screen because the text won't render until the webfonts have downloaded and all the javascript is finished loading. Then the server will time out and give up because who, WHO in this modern world has a < 1 Mbps internet connection? And they'll be left staring at a blank page.

kids don't surf the web in tyool 2018. they stream; twitch, youtube, mixer, etc. it doesn't take much disruption in QoS to effectively kill a stream.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 4, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

kids don't surf the web in tyool 2018. they stream; twitch, youtube, mixer, etc

The kid subnet should have that poo poo blackholed, gently caress 'em.

I removed the SA app from my phone a couple weeks ago and my life is a hell of a lot better. Now I only shitpost from my desktop, and I've been reading again. Also spent a lot more time working on the Volvo getting it ready to sell.

Because my wireless setup is pretty loving flexible I've thought about putting up trolling / honeypot open networks, but then I wondered: if I make an open network that redirects all traffic to goatse, and a kid connects to that network, am I going to go to jail? Of course, as you point out, no kid will ever actually see goatse because they'll open Youtube, Snapchat, Whatsapp, etc. and none of them will work, they'll shrug and disconnect from the network.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On the one hand, I'm actually kind of glad that I grew up before the internet was really A Thing, so this stuff was never a factor, and more time spent doing real-world things and actual, ink-on-paper reading was probably "better for me" in a sense. Some of my parents' opinions on what elements of pop culture were a bad influence were flat-out wrong, but broadly, ehhh.

On the other, it's going to be some serious schadenfreude watching people who are my contemporaries in age terms get their asses kicked by primary school kids in a war of attrition over IT admin. :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

if I make an open network that redirects all traffic to goatse

I did this with some .htaccess files once (YEARS ago) when I found a bunch of people hotlinking poo poo off of my server and full on copying forum posts (wtf).

Time for some painx.jpg!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
despite the challenges its a much better situation now. it's a magical thing watching my kid get on skype with his buddies and crack out a school project. im still not a fan of the amount of homework kids are still getting these days but at least the school digitized everything and all he has to do is log in to the school portal when he gets home and do his worksheets etc. No backpack, books or that other garbage that destroy children's spines.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well the graduation ceremony was yesterday, better check the online page and make sure I actually passed all my-

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
show off :v:

grats!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Enourmo posted:

Well the graduation ceremony was yesterday, better check the online page and make sure I actually passed all my-

:hfive:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enourmo posted:

Get a job! :bahgawd:

Have had this credit card for 2 months (brand new number) and already found some suspicious charges on it. :allears: Nothing is secure.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm the Analy Mac Components

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DSGN is the new BDSM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

petition to change enourmo's name to IOwnThermodynamics

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

petition to change enourmo's name to Analy Mac

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

petition to change enourmo's name to IOwnThermodynamics

between you, me and Adiabatic there would be a bit of a theme going on here

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Congratulations!

Now forget 80% of it and just reference the relevant standard as required when people ask you to answer questions.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

InitialDave posted:

Congratulations!

Now forget 80% of it and just reference the relevant standard as required when people ask you to answer questions.

Not an emptyquote. But congrats!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Congratulations!

Now forget 80% 99.99999999999999% of it and just reference the relevant standard as required google that poo poo when people ask you to answer questions.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Congrats! :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You know... he's right. Grats anyway, Enourmo!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

Congratulations dude that is one hell of an achievement.

You an engineer now!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

between you, me and Adiabatic there would be a bit of a theme going on here

It's part of the SA Support Robot's algorithm on finding new mods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yay for good grades!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tide posted:

I have decided that over the last year or so of being in the 'singles scene' and whatnot that women are out of their goddamned mind.

Also would y’all call out ex wife for stalking work and home trying to see what im doing or just tell lawyer?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

everdave posted:

Also would y’all call out ex wife for stalking work and home trying to see what im doing or just tell lawyer?

Holy poo poo. Call the loving cops

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lawyer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AND lawyer

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

This is what restraining orders are for.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Document, with witnesses, call lawyer. Be polite and nice; wave. But she's trying to get dirt or elicit a reaction to use against you..

edit: way to go, enourmo

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 4, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Lol jesus. Call the cops, stalking is a crime in most places. Then call your lawyer and get a restraining order.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Facts: I work for myself so last night I went out of town to go to the mountains. Apparently she must be spying I see on cameras she has Driven by house 4 times and work twice she is losing it wondering where I Am I didn’t do anything wrong I have meeting with lawyer Wednesday

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Facts: I work for myself so last night I went out of town to go to the mountains. Apparently she must be spying I see on cameras she has Driven by house 4 times and work twice she is losing it wondering where I Am I didn’t do anything wrong I have meeting with lawyer Wednesday

Oh yeah, lawyer, document. She sounds super stable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CALL THE POLICE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I removed the SA app from my phone a couple weeks ago and my life is a hell of a lot better. Now I only shitpost from my desktop, and I've been reading again.

I still have it on my phone, but really only use it when I'm waiting in line or pooping.

Enourmo posted:

Fuckin' A, dude. Rock on!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, the MS6 is making stupid noises. I hate car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, the MS6 is making stupid noises. I hate car.

Since I've made reliability the first priority on my last two cars things have been great no significant issues

*knocks on wood*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also at my graduation ceremony there were a few dozen people who did the Wakanda salute from Black Panther after walking, all black. Pretty cool imo.

There were also some people who dabbed, and Every Single One of them was white as the winter snow.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
loving seagulls.

They start cawing at 5 in the loving morning, then they drop plate - sized shits all over my car that I physically have to chip off with an ice-scraper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Since I've made reliability the first priority on my last two cars things have been great no significant issues

*knocks on wood*

It's been solid for way too long so it was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

everdave posted:

Jesus dude. Was she always like that or just since you split?

• Locked thread