Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ReadingZucchini posted:

someone is about to involuntarily become ISIS's first trans inductee, v progressive.

Ehhhhh shits more complicated than you might think

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...cd54032d8b31122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

How should I challenge my ex girlfriends brother to a boxing duel? I have pride and respect. I want to restore honor between us.

A page taken from the Uwe Boll school of dispute handling

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rubellavator posted:

A page taken from the Uwe Boll school of dispute handling

Only if he refuses to accept the challenge if it turns out the other guy is bigger than him/has any fighting experience whatsoever

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My (32/M) girlfriend (31/F) still says "I love you" to her ex.

quote:

Hey Reddit.

I'm in a monogamous relationship with a woman I'm crazy about. Before we officially became a couple, she was having trouble getting past her feelings about an ex boyfriend. To the point where she practically hid our relationship from everyone. It took her months to finally call me her boyfriend.

In that between time, and even after we declared our relationship to be monogamous, there were a lot of instances involving her ex that left me uneasy and shaken that still bother me to this day.

Things like calling me by his name in bed, hanging a picture of him up in our bedroom (and putting it over mine), and the thing that bothered me most - saying "I love you" to him. Through text, email, and over the phone. It made me really uncomfortable. I communicated this to her months ago.

Fast forward six months. They still hang out on occasion. Usually meeting for breakfast. Last night, they went to a concert together at a venue that she loves. The thought of them being there together drummed up those old feelings in my mind. I asked her afterward if they still say "I love you" to each other. She said yes.

I'm pretty upset about this. I understand that the word "love" has many different meanings. I love my friends and my pets. I love my family. However, I'd never tell an ex that I loved her, out of respect for my current relationship.

My partner said she would stop, but not before saying she wishes I would just trust that the relationship between her and the ex is platonic.

I don't think she would cheat on me. I do trust her. That being said, everything that has happened between them in the past has made me jealous and insecure. And it's just not getting better.

Am I out of line for feeling this way, and asking her to stop treating him like a boyfriend?

Has this happened to anyone else? How can we get over this and begin to heal? Every other aspect of our relationship is incredible and I don't want to lose it.

Talk to me, Reddit.

tl;dr - girlfriend still says I love you to ex

I want to believe.

EDIT: Same poster, 5 months earlier

I (32/M) need help getting over my girlfriend's (31/F) relationship with her ex.

quote:

Hey Reddit.

I'm in a 6 month old relationship with a woman I'm honestly crazy about. Everything is really great, but we consistently have one hang up - her ex boyfriend is very much in the picture.

They're practically best friends, which is fine. The problem I keep having is that she treats him (at least in my eyes) like she would a boyfriend.

I've never actually met him. I trust her when she says that she has no romantic feelings left for him. But there have been several things throughout the course of our relationship that have happened, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I can handle the nature of their relationship while still being as loving and caring as possible.

Some examples of the things that have made me uncomfortable:

*I found a naked picture he sent to her on her computer. It was of her, not of him. Weird. In response to him, she asked "Do you still think I'm that attractive?" I shouldn't have been snooping in her computer, and I know I was in the wrong. Please save me the lectures, as I'm already wracked with guilt over it.

*She was on the phone with him one day, and before they hung up, they both said "I love you" to each other. They still do this.

*She talks very glowingly of him, and every once in a while will bring up something they've done together in the past. She says things like "he was my first true love, and we've known each other for a very long time, and he's always been there for me."

*They do romantic things together. This weekend, they're going to see a play together. They've gone sailing in the past, she goes to his house to watch movies together.

*Very recently, last week, we were in her bed sharing a really tender loving moment, when she looked up at me and called me by his name.

*Last night, I went to her place and discovered she recently put a picture of him up on her dresser, where she keeps her sentimental things. She covered up a stupid poem I wrote for her a couple months ago with this picture. This picture is right in my line of sight, and also in the same room where we sleep together and have sex.

I told her that it hurt my feelings. She called me a jealous person, which I completely admit to, but I also feel there is a difference between being jealous and being really uncomfortable with the current boundaries.

I really love my girlfriend, but I can't seem to get over this hangup. She swears up and down that there is nothing romantic left between them, but the red flags are practically screaming in my face. I don't want them to be there, but they are. And they keep growing.

What do I do? How do I get past this? I'm not the controlling type. I refuse to suggest she can't see people she's close to. I want her to be happy, to see the people that she loves. I want to have a very long term relationship with her, but I can't get rid of this nagging feeling.

Help.
TL;DR

Hung up over Girlfriend's relationship with her ex.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 4, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am continually astounded by how much blatant poo poo people manage to get away with every day by just kinda not acting like they're doing anything wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Me [23m] disclosing bisexuality and kinks to I'm dating [22f/21f]
u/retiringslut

quote:

tldr: I'm bi and like to crossdress, get dominated, tie people up or get tied up, engage in impact play, and have group sex. I've been on a few dates with girls who don't know this, and I'm wondering how to bring this up with them.

As stated in my tldr, I'm a bi male who likes to crossdress. I'm passable as a cute girl, so it's very easy for me to hook up. I've been averaging 4-5 partners a week (male and female), but more recently I've slowed down since I've met these girls that I'm interested in getting in a relationship with one of them.

The problem is I get the sense they're looking for something serious and don't know what I've been up to. I've been having threesomes every weekend, going to sex parties, and attending bdsm parties. I've hooked up with people within 30 minutes of meeting them at parties, and I don't know the names of most of my partners.

When I'm with these people I have a romantic interest in, I present myself as being a vanilla individual. I get the sense they're looking for a serious relationship. I'm wondering how do I bring this topic up, when would it be most appropriate to mention, and how open do I need to be about it?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Doggles posted:

I want to believe.

I (32/M) need help getting over my girlfriend's (31/F) relationship with her ex.

It's like that "signs you're the sidechick" stuff but so so much worse.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Girl [18] asked me [M18] are we exclusive and I said yes. Is there no going back?

quote:

Basically, long story short me and a girl (both 18) have been hanging out, we’ve been out on five separate occasions and on the most recent one she asked me if we were exclusive. I asked if she meant “boyfriend and girlfriend” and she said “no, just are we exclusive” so I said well in that case then yes.

The more I think about it after though, I’m not sure I want that to be the case. I think it is more logical in our position for both of us to be able to see other people and to just enjoy each other without all the expectations. She posed the question almost as an offer but I was too scared she’d freak out with a negative answer (she is a fairly anxious person and has been hurt emotionally by guys before) so I viewed it more as a test and therefore played it safe by saying yes to exclusivity.

I would like to know how likely it is that she is actually willing for it to be more of an open situation (what indicators should I look for?) and how I should go about bringing the topic back up again if I am to explain to her what I really feel. What should I be careful with? Etc etc. thanks for any and all help and ask any questions needed.

(To be clear, I do really like her and am willing to be exclusive however I am just anxious about taking that route because I already feel certain that I don’t want the relationship to last super long e.g. years. I feel like being less exclusive takes away that pressure. Perhaps that is overthinking things. Let me know.)

TLDR: how do I discuss with the girl I’m dating that I’m not sure if my answer of ‘yes’ to being exclusive was the right one?

"Are we exclusive?"

Normal Brain: "Yes."

Expanding Brain: "No, let's have an open relationship."

Galaxy Brain: "Yes, assuming this is a test and you're secretly asking to open the relationship."

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Accusing your partner of being jealous when they have an issue with you dating your ex is apparently a masterstroke maneuver.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Doggles posted:

I want to believe.

loquacius posted:

I am continually astounded by how much blatant poo poo people manage to get away with every day by just kinda not acting like they're doing anything wrong
It's pretty incredible. From what that guy posted, she's basically still dating her ex. They do everything people that were dating would do, but have sex (lol they probably do that too).

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

He's like the boyfriend of the week in the second season of a sitcom.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
He's the "villain" in a romantic comedy who we're supposed to hate because...?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

He's too dumb to be the snooty villain in most romcoms

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Like, the perfectly good guy Rachel dates after she broke up with Ross, who she still spends a lot of time with because she's still in love with him. Or the perfectly good guy Elliot dates after breaking up with JD, who she still spends a lot of time with because she's still in love with him.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
it's awesome, how we have this whole genre of media wherein the whole message boils down to "a big whacko gesture should cause you to throw stability/companionship in the fuckingg garbage where it belongs lmao"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

He's too dumb to be the snooty villain in most romcoms

He's not a rich douchebag villain, he's a boring whitebread set-piece boyfriend who is bad because he symbolically represents the humdrum routine of everyday life, not because there is anything wrong with him at all

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
REMEMWBRR- if every single instant of your life isn't a thrill ride so intese that yourr n the verge of death at all times ur a loving loserfuck poo poo pwrson and wveryone is always laughing at yuo when you tyrn away '!!!!!'

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I remember telling a person who really liked romcoms that characters from romantic comedies that date a 'boring' dude while still being in love with someone else are pieces of poo poo, and they started going on about how romcoms are no different than action movies in that they're a fantasy about doing crazy loving things constantly

They got annoyed when I told them that a lot of action movie protagonists are also really awful people

Also, tangential point, but action movies which have sold the idea that somehow you, a man that has never been in a fight, by yourself, will be able to murder like a trillion bad dudes at once are as retarded as the romcom thing, and vice versa

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

how romcoms are no different than action movies in that they're a fantasy about doing crazy loving things constantly

lol that anyone would think this came off as a defense of romcoms rather than an indictment of both romcoms and action movies

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Doggles posted:

I want to believe.

u are the side dick

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

REMEMWBRR- if every single instant of your life isn't a thrill ride so intese that yourr n the verge of death at all times ur a loving loserfuck poo poo pwrson and wveryone is always laughing at yuo when you tyrn away '!!!!!'

Pretty sure thats a legitimate mental disorder.

My [22F] engagement ring is just not what I expected, [28 M]
u/ringquestions122

quote:

Let me preface this with I’m really not a materialistic person. I’ve never cared about stuff like this.

My fiancé and I got engaged last July so it’s been almost a year of engagement. We are currently not planning any wedding stuff since we are building a house and my parents helped a lot with a portion of the down payment. We’re either going to have a courthouse wedding and renew vows down the road/have a big celebration or have a wedding, just not anytime soon.

Before we got engaged, we did talk about getting married but there was never any mention of the ring in terms of styles I liked, size, any kind of questions or hints. I’m not saying this is a bad thing either.

When my fiancé proposed I was over the moon. He went to a small mom and pop type jewelry store that made jewelry for his parents. He mentioned in passing that he went with the size and style because I never wear jewelry. Which is true! It’s just completely not what I imagined to have. I am very grateful and appreciative for it and I’ve worn it proudly. I guess lately I’ve just come to terms that it’s not what I wanted and I’ve compared myself to other people’s rings (that are family or friends), not feeling entirely happy with it.

I’ve never mentioned anything like this to my fiancé and I don’t know how he would take it if I did. I don’t know how to feel or go about it!

TLDR: engagement ring is not what I expected and I am just now coming to terms with it.

De Beers claims another victim.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Doggles posted:

Girl [18] asked me [M18] are we exclusive and I said yes. Is there no going back?

"Are we exclusive?"

Normal Brain: "Yes."

Expanding Brain: "No, let's have an open relationship."

Galaxy Brain: "Yes, assuming this is a test and you're secretly asking to open the relationship."

this idiot is going to wind up married at 20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

u/ringquestions122

what the gently caress, she didn't say what the ring looks like v:mad:v

OR what she wanted

I need to know if this is a "but I wanted it BIGGER and SHINIER so all my friends go OOOH" scenario or a "he got a 0.2-carat chocolate diamond and still managed to pay $4000 for it" scenario

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

u/ringquestions122

iirc she posted a picture of the ring later and it was legitimately hideous. Like it was a big gaudy heart made out of amber.

edit: I was actually remembering a different engagement ring post. In penance, here is a picture of the ugly ring:

girl pants fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I usually don't wear jewelry, and I don't really think of myself as a superficial person, but, my fiance bought me a plastic toe-ring that emits an electronic fart sound every two minutes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

girl pants posted:

iirc she posted a picture of the ring later and it was legitimately hideous. Like it was a big gaudy heart made out of amber.

ok, so yeah he's a dumbass

If you're getting jewelry for someone who doesn't wear jewelry you want to err on the side of simplicity, not go gaudy as hell

but the good news is her grievance is something other than "I want a bigger more expensive status symbol" and he doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo either so she can just sort of suggest they trade it in for something more lowkey and if she's gentle enough about it hopefully he can handle that idea

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

girl pants posted:

That may have been a different one, this one doesn’t seem to have posted any pictures or links, at least not under this username.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

loquacius posted:

ok, so yeah he's a dumbass

If you're getting jewelry for someone who doesn't wear jewelry you want to err on the side of simplicity, not go gaudy as hell

but the good news is her grievance is something other than "I want a bigger more expensive status symbol" and he doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo either so she can just sort of suggest they trade it in for something more lowkey and if she's gentle enough about it hopefully he can handle that idea

Turns out I was misremembering anyway so she could still be dumb!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

yes, and it turns out overuse of social media and modern media in general causes you to mimic its symptoms!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

girl pants posted:

edit: I was actually remembering a different engagement ring post. In penance, here is a picture of the ugly ring:

Oh wow that’s terrible.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Oh wow that’s terrible.

haha this one ruled bc every reddit poster was making GBS threads on her hard, and then she posted the ring and everyone was like "oh, okay you have a legitimate complaint here, sorry for assuming" lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tbf that's the kind of ring my grandma would wear

just

y'know

not every day of her life

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

girl pants posted:

The world's most expensive ring pop

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I'm gonna propose with either a ring pop or one of those plastic Green Lantern rings, need help deciding which

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
I didn't even realize you keep wearing the engagement ring after marriage until a few months ago, so all this time I've been reading these stories thinking what does it matter it's just going in a box after a while anyway then you wear the wedding band.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

loquacius posted:

Tbf that's the kind of ring my grandma would wear

just

y'know

not every day of her life

amber is so soft too. If you wore that ring every day it would be scratched and cracked to poo poo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m thinking it may be an another hideous ring situation because she sounds cool with eloping and building a house together instead of dropping mid five figures on ~my dream wedding~

On the other hand she carefully tiptoes around any discussion of how much the ring cost

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

u/ringquestions122

This is why you talk about poo poo beforehand! I mean it sounds like the guy did the best guesswork he could, but this is why you talk about it.

Anyways, she either has to suck it up or she could propose getting a larger stone (if it's that simple) when they renew their vows or whatever. People find occasions to upgrade their ring all the time and that seems like a solid one. She can just explain that he did a great job, but after wearing one for a while she figured out she'd prefer something bigger. There's obviously some things she should ask herself about WHY she wants a bigger ring, but if she's not holding it against him and it's just a preference thing then it's kind of whatever in the grand scheme of things.

We have a local shop where I live that will give you what you paid + 10% on any diamond if you want to upgrade to a bigger/better stone which I always thought was a decent deal for stuff like this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

I’m thinking it may be an another hideous ring situation because she sounds cool with eloping and building a house together instead of dropping mid five figures on ~my dream wedding~

On the other hand she carefully tiptoes around any discussion of how much the ring cost

The part where she says she compared to other people's rings may or may not be a red flag

because on the one hand you really shouldn't be thinking about this kind of thing in terms of other people, but on the other hand maybe she's going "I can't help but notice that other people's rings aren't hideous pieces of poo poo 🤔"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Maybe she's mad because it's a hideous ring that he spent $10k on and doesn't want to look like a jerk.