Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I like people constantly saying May the 4th be with you, because it reminds me that my sister's birthday is coming up. Hers being the only one in my family that I can remember just because of a pop culture reference is a peeve I suppose.

Same. My sister's birthday is May 5th, so the marketing in the week or two prior to May 4th is very useful. Just a shame I don't give a toss about Star Wars anymore, and even more of a shame that I feel I need to add that it's not because I'm a MAGA, woman-hating rear end in a top hat. Just an rear end in a top hat not interested in the new films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

:same: I'm avoiding Facebook today for this reason.

Get on my level son, I've been avoiding facebook for about 4 years.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like pi day because all the pizza places here have special deals.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Master Twig posted:

Double postin because I remembered the thing.

It's automatic car windows. I want to open my window 2 inches to just let a little air in. But then my car decides that means I want to open the window ALL the way. So I stop it and try to get it to go up a bit to where I want. Where it then decides that I must want the window completely closed. Getting the window to be partially open where I want is infuriatingly difficult.

I have scoured my owners manual and can find no way to turn this behavior off.

Guessing an issue with the switch, my last car used to do the same thing. Only way around it was doing teeny little taps on the button to inch it up or down, never got it fixed since the car died. New one doesn't do that though so pretty sure the switch was worn out, car was over 15 years old and never had any work done on the power windows or locks.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Guessing an issue with the switch, my last car used to do the same thing. Only way around it was doing teeny little taps on the button to inch it up or down, never got it fixed since the car died. New one doesn't do that though so pretty sure the switch was worn out, car was over 15 years old and never had any work done on the power windows or locks.

It's a 2017 with fewer than 10,000 miles on it. Been doing it since day one. Pretty sure it's crappy programming to try to be useful.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My wife’s Toyota has a not-really-obvious detent on the window switch, so you have to hit it fairly lightly to not get auto full-travel. Might try checking for that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like my automatic window, since I have to roll it down to show my badge at the gate at my work. I can just tap it once rather than holding the button down for several seconds. The only time it gives me trouble is if I want to lower the driver window by a couple of inches but still leave it mostly shut, which is almost never. But they're probably not all programmed the same...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Stoned to death.

Nah, I'm ok with stoners, some of them make awesome music.

Yeah, without 4/20 when would we have gotten Sleep to surprise release a new album?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is anyone on earth excited about Han Solo origin movie?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is anyone on earth excited about Han Solo origin movie?

I, for one, miss characters being introduced in the narrative, learning about them from dialogue and actions, and then exiting, or dying, or the movie ending.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I feel like I'm the only person who grew up in the 80s for whom Star Wars was just some fun movies that I enjoyed but have no real emotional investment in, and not a way of life.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

docbeard posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who grew up in the 80s for whom Star Wars was just some fun movies that I enjoyed but have no real emotional investment in, and not a way of life.
I grew up in the '80s and have neither seen nor wanted to see any Star Wars film.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

star wars is incredibly boring and i have no idea why everyone loves it so much

pet peeve: hearing about it always

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sorta same. I love the Last Jedi and the reaction of it made talking about Star Wars so boring and made me realize how cyclical this poo poo is. There will always be another movie and will always ruin Star Wars.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you can't appreciate WW2 in space then you're probably dead inside. Also it's for children.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Moon Monster posted:

I like my automatic window, since I have to roll it down to show my badge at the gate at my work. I can just tap it once rather than holding the button down for several seconds. The only time it gives me trouble is if I want to lower the driver window by a couple of inches but still leave it mostly shut, which is almost never. But they're probably not all programmed the same...

I hate my automatic windows because I have replaced the motor for them 3 times and they have died again.

Scratch that. I just hate my loving car. :sigh:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
ww2 is light years more entertaining than star wars

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When I click on a series on HBO, I want to be where I am at, not at the first season and definitely not at the last episode. A friend of mine managed to spoil true detective because he accidentally watched the last episode after the first one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did that with American Vandal, and yet I still didn’t spoil it for myself despite watching half the second to last episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Midig posted:

When I click on a series on HBO, I want to be where I am at, not at the first season and definitely not at the last episode. A friend of mine managed to spoil true detective because he accidentally watched the last episode after the first one.

My parents watched the first season finale of Bloodline first because we didn’t have separate Netflix profiles at the time. It kind of works with that series’ framing device though.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I grew up in the '80s and have neither seen nor wanted to see any Star Wars film.

:same:

I could watch them now but I feel like there's too much baggage, plus it makes a good two-truths-and-a-lie factoid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t like how people think the galactic empire, or Mordor, or whatever = nazis

A scary thing about nazis is that the irl nazis of germany were mostly pretty ordinary and just kinda stumbled along until it was too late.

We treat them like cartoon villains but they weren’t. They were mostly normal rear end people. Nazism and fascism are insidious and take root long before brownshirts are waving swastikas on Main Street.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t like how people think the galactic empire, or Mordor, or whatever = nazis

A scary thing about nazis is that the irl nazis of germany were mostly pretty ordinary and just kinda stumbled along until it was too late.

We treat them like cartoon villains but they weren’t. They were mostly normal rear end people. Nazism and fascism are insidious and take root long before brownshirts are waving swastikas on Main Street.

Yeah I never really understood the parallels people were drawing either. Like yeah they are all militaristic societies following the orders of one leader, but beyond that it doesn't really fit. Hitler didn't die because saving the life of his son or because a band of small hairy people threw his ring in the volcano, he died because his empire was falling apart so he shot himself. The only similarities are I guess stylistically, but saying the fake galactic empire or army of fake orcs or whatever are nazis kind of minimizes what happened and implies it is something that usually only happens in fiction, when it could easily happen again in real life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but what's with the Arabs joining the forces of Sauron

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

docbeard posted:

Also Harry Potter. I feel like both properties have a fanmade mythos surrounding them that makes them seem grand and cohesive, unlike the source material.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah I never really understood the parallels people were drawing either. Like yeah they are all militaristic societies following the orders of one leader, but beyond that it doesn't really fit. Hitler didn't die because saving the life of his son or because a band of small hairy people threw his ring in the volcano, he died because his empire was falling apart so he shot himself.
What about a fascist leader gaining office by sweeping aside an ineffective Chancellor, who then goes on to use a false flag and vicious purges attack to consolidate power?

The aesthetic choices shouldn't be cast aside lightly either. When you call the enemy troops stormtroopers and have the officers dress the way they do and shoot long sections of the movie like a WW2 film you are implicitly encouraging the comparison.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Obviously stuff like the empire in Star Wars draws inspiration from nazis.

My issue is how a lot of people expect real life bad guys to be like movie villains.

It applies to everyday horrificness too. A serial rapist is not going to be a greasy creep, usually. A child molester isn’t some Comic Book Guy cruising schools in a plain white van. A racist isn’t a cross burning yokel in a hood. It’s normal seeming people.

In real life, normal rear end people are going to be (and are) the ones doing death squads, not a horde of orcs or a Hitler caricature. We aren’t going to see it coming.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I hate it when deli counters slice their meat or cheese too thin and you can’t peel a slice off from your package in one nice whole piece but instead it crumbles into shards or you end up peeling part of the slice underneath. It makes your sandwiches messy and your remaining meat/cheese messy.

Hate that.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My mom always got the deli to shave it so thin it fell apart, probably so she could stretch it farther. I learned to like that more than the nasty eighth-inch slabs some places default to.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Thinness of meat slices is an argument every loving time my Nanny does a roast. It’s my aunts husbands job to slice the meat (A MANS JOB YOU SEE) and my aunt is never loving happy with how many slices he gets paper thin like they just crumble to dust as soon as you look at them and I hate it. If you don’t like the way he does it then you loving do it and if you dislike the actual texture of meat so much why are you bothering I’ll have your portion sliced so I can actually taste it thanks. Also please stop having this argument or the passive aggressive comments that make it obvious you want to have the argument it’s been literally 20 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bike lanes that cars are allowed to park in. How the gently caress did anyone think that was a good idea?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Bicyclists who whine that they have every right to be on the road (which is true) but don't obey traffic signs. I almost killed a dude at a four way stop because after I stopped and started my turn, the fucker sped along the sidewalk and into the crosswalk because HE'S ON A BIKE HE DOESN'T HAVE TO STOP AND HE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

No, no you loving don't!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Bicyclists who whine that they have every right to be on the road (which is true) but don't obey traffic signs. I almost killed a dude at a four way stop because after I stopped and started my turn, the fucker sped along the sidewalk and into the crosswalk because HE'S ON A BIKE HE DOESN'T HAVE TO STOP AND HE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

No, no you loving don't!

I hate bicyclists who want the best of both worlds - getting to block the roads with their slow rear end and also get the right of way that pedestrians have. Pick one - either you're a pedestrian and get the gently caress off the road, or you're a vehicle and you have to follow the rules that cars do. You can't do both.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grocery stores in my area are phasing in smaller shopping carts. It seems like every person under the age of 97 prefers the smaller ones but the stores have something like 1 of them for every 15 big carts. Actually getting a small one is like winning the lottery.

Also, being in line behind an ancient who has stuffed every square inch of their cart with a few hundred pounds of cans.

teenytinymouse posted:

Thinness of meat slices is an argument every loving time my Nanny does a roast. It’s my aunts husbands job to slice the meat (A MANS JOB YOU SEE) and my aunt is never loving happy with how many slices he gets paper thin like they just crumble to dust as soon as you look at them and I hate it. If you don’t like the way he does it then you loving do it and if you dislike the actual texture of meat so much why are you bothering I’ll have your portion sliced so I can actually taste it thanks. Also please stop having this argument or the passive aggressive comments that make it obvious you want to have the argument it’s been literally 20 years.

Maybe if he had a sharper knife.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I miss stores having shopping baskets. 99% of the time I'm not buying enough poo poo that pushing a cart around the store makes any sense, but 80% of the time I'm buying more poo poo than I can just carry in my bare hands. Reusable shopping bags would solve the problem but there aren't any stores around here that allow them. So every time I shop I get stuck pushing around a giant cart so that I can buy six items that weigh a total of two pounds.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think that since most of these stores are huge super stores now they've phased out the baskets almost entirely in favor of the mini carts. Most people probably don't feel like having to actually carry all their stuff for the 5 miles it takes just to get some milk and eggs.

My one gripe about shopping at aldi is that if I need a cart I have to get a huge one. The store is pretty small too which makes shopping during busy hours even more annoying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I miss stores having shopping baskets. 99% of the time I'm not buying enough poo poo that pushing a cart around the store makes any sense, but 80% of the time I'm buying more poo poo than I can just carry in my bare hands. Reusable shopping bags would solve the problem but there aren't any stores around here that allow them. So every time I shop I get stuck pushing around a giant cart so that I can buy six items that weigh a total of two pounds.

Oh just learn to juggle like I did you baby.. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, there are countries where stores don’t have baskets?

what the gently caress

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just hate when I underestimate how much poo poo I need to buy and end up waddling to the front of the store to dump it into a basket and continue, trying hard not to drop anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Reusable shopping bags would solve the problem but there aren't any stores around here that allow them.

What?