Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait...what? I meant the features of the new update.

https://changewindows.org/build/redstone4/17134/pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting. After resetting Windows, I've reinstalled the regular Spotify version instead of the Project Centennial one for Windows Store. I always figured the lower framerate motion when dragging the window around was due to some fuckery from hiding the title bar, but the regular version moves supersmooth across the screen (144hz displays). So wrapping Win32 crap up into an AppX container has side effects?
Yeah it's going to have side effects due to the fact that Win32 programs aren't designed to be isolated from system access and automated processes aren't going to be infallible in detecting their requirements. Desktop Bridge is only intended to be a stop-gap measure to writing a native UWP app.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did tabbed explorer windows not make it in?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Did tabbed explorer windows not make it in?

Nope.

e: Oh my god, case sensitivity works in Explorer! Well, sort of. It’s a bit glitchy, but it gets the job done. Never thought I’d see the day.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 1, 2018

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
drat, I'd really hoped to stop using Clover.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Fun prank: Make somebody’s desktop case-sensitive, then put a bunch of files named every variation of AUX, CON, NUL, and PRN there with WSL. See how long it takes them to figure out how to get rid of them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it just me or does Edge get progressively worse with each update?

A year or two ago it was actually faster than Chrome but it’s becoming slow and crash prone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not really, I mean at release it couldn't handle more than ten tabs without performance immediately falling off a cliff, but now I have no need or desire to switch to another browser, especially on tablet where it is easily the best choice.

If it's causing problems, try repairing or resetting it under Apps & Features; I did once have it crash to a grinding halt after an Overwolf update, so maybe see if anything is causing a weird conflict.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

Is it just me or does Edge get progressively worse with each update?

A year or two ago it was actually faster than Chrome but it’s becoming slow and crash prone.

After the last few updates I've had to just clear all my browsing data and then it's happy. Seems fine still after this update.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Ah that fresh OS smell, don't forget to disable Fast Startup and delete that Hibernate File! Alright bye.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Im_Special posted:

Ah that fresh OS smell, don't forget to disable Fast Startup and delete that Hibernate File! Alright bye.

Supposedly, they'll stop doing this poo poo with all the updates after this one, so this should be the last time we have to do this poo poo.

Should be.

Also, remember to manually turn on logging for the diagnostic data in the Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback, and download the Windows Store app that actually let's you read the file. Which is still in a nigh-incomprehensible raw JSON format. Technically transparent, just in a way that's functionally meaningless to anyone who's not a current Microsoft engineer!

I especially like how they explicitly strongly urge you to turn the logging off after a few days, on the flimsy pretense it could take up to one whole gigabyte of space, oh nooooo.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently the key combo Win+Ctrl+Shift+B restarts your graphics driver. Didn't know that. Seems a handy one.

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah it's going to have side effects due to the fact that Win32 programs aren't designed to be isolated from system access and automated processes aren't going to be infallible in detecting their requirements. Desktop Bridge is only intended to be a stop-gap measure to writing a native UWP app.
In case of Spotify, I don't get why they didn't do the effort to make it a WinRT app. There's a HTML+JS runtime. I suppose the varying restrictions to native UWP apps are probably one reason, e.g. when apps are minimized and such.

Microsoft should give up and make the AppContainer optional. Seems like companies don't really want to use UWP, and I figure that one is a reason.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I find that the win32 Spotify app is really pretty nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's a Chromium app already, so porting it to WinRT.JS, or whatever it is called properly, isn't that wild of an idea.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I can't get 1803 to install on my HTPC.

It's a 1st gen Core i7-920 on an Asus P6T deluxe V2 (X58 chipset), so I suspect it may have something to do with the lack of spectre/meltdown update, but it gives.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation.

setuperr.log contains:
code:
2018-05-03 23:02:25, Error                 DU     DU::CDUSession::Search: Failed to set WU internal configuration property for targeted scans. hr = 0x80070057
2018-05-03 23:02:53, Error                 CONX   0xd0000034 Failed to add user mode driver [%SystemRoot%\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\uicciso.dll]

2018-05-03 23:02:54, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::WicaApplicationInventory::AddItemProperty (514):   App Inventory returned duplicate file c:\program files (x86)\kodi\kodi.exe.[gle=0x8007000d]
2018-05-03 23:02:55, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::AssetUtils::GetProgramNameAndRegistryPathFromFile (624):   App should have registry path, swallowing error.[gle=0x8007139f]
2018-05-03 23:03:14, Error                        ConX::Compatibility::CActionT<4,struct ConX::Compatibility::NoParameters>::Invoke: Successfully persist data.
2018-05-03 23:05:08, Error                 SP     pSPRemoveUpgradeRegTree: failed to delete reg tree HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade[gle=0x00000005]
2018-05-03 23:05:27, Error      [0x080831] MIG    CSIAgent: Invalid xml format: FormatException: Component with display name: Plugin/{52776FBF-403C-49cc-b7cb-dd557f36096A} already loaded __cdecl Mig::CMXEMigrationXml::CMXEMigrationXml(class Mig::CPlatform *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::XmlDocument *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::String *)
2018-05-03 23:08:04, Error      [0x0808fe] MIG    Plugin {526D451C-721A-4b97-AD34-DCE5D8CD22C5}: [shmig] Failed to get preferred homegroup with hr=0x80070490
2018-05-03 23:08:26, Error                        CSetupAutomation::Resurrect: File not found: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\automation.dat[gle=0x00000002]
2018-05-03 23:08:26, Error                 SP     CSetupPlatform::ResurrectAutomation: Failed to resurrect automation: 0x80070002[gle=0x00000002]
&#65279;2018-05-03 23:09:45, Error                 MOUPG  Finalize: Error reading narrator reg key: [0x80070002]
2018-05-03 23:09:48, Error                 SP     CFinalizeCriticalBoundary::DoExecute: Cannot create hardlink betweeen C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SetupPlatform.exe and C:\WINDOWS\System32\OOBE\SetupPlatform\SetupPlatform.exe. Error: 0x000000b7[gle=0x000000b7]
2018-05-03 23:09:48, Error                 SP     CFinalizeCriticalBoundary::DoExecute: Rollback in system context will not be registered.[gle=0x000000b7]

Lum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 4, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been able to fix that kind of failure by deleting C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\ entirely. Worth a try.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So i pulled a Dell 2 in 1 fresh out of the box. Booted up, created the user account, got to the desktop, went into Windows Updates and clicked GO. I wasn't really paying attention but it said go ahead and reboot to finish updates, so I did that and whoa, Windows downloaded a UEFI bios update for this Dell laptop and installed it by itself on that reboot. Mind blown.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redeyes posted:

So i pulled a Dell 2 in 1 fresh out of the box. Booted up, created the user account, got to the desktop, went into Windows Updates and clicked GO. I wasn't really paying attention but it said go ahead and reboot to finish updates, so I did that and whoa, Windows downloaded a UEFI bios update for this Dell laptop and installed it by itself on that reboot. Mind blown.

My HP laptops have been doing that too. It's pretty slick.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

I've been able to fix that kind of failure by deleting C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\ entirely. Worth a try.

Didn't work, even booting off USB doesn't work.

It seems a lot of X58 users are having this problem with 1803. Guess I'm sticking with the old version indefinitely?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Your HD is broken. Im dead serious. I see ths all the time, look at the transfer rate while the drive is completely maxed out!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that response time is hosed too even for a spinning disk.

I've seen this poo poo on the regular in win 8 days, on laptops with SSDs installed. I think it mostly stopped happening after windows 10. Or maybe users just learned to live with it.

I've never found a fix either.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ah, I see my old pal ms-resource:AppDisplayName is back in my Start menu after the 1803 update.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'm basically convinced at this point that anyone who actually likes Windows 10 is deluded/has stockholm syndrome.

No, Microsoft, no amount of shovelling poo poo down my throat will make me like it.

Just finish it. Fix as many bugs as is practical, polish all the control panels, and release a proper version of Windows that you'll then support with security updates for a decade.

(OK, you could think I'm referring to LTSB, but even that's not finished).

I guess it's just easier to distracted by "the shiny", but really, an OS should just step to one side and let the programmes do the work, whilst providing efficient APIs...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 4, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I'm basically convinced at this point that anyone who actually likes Windows 10 is deluded/has stockholm syndrome.

If you use a computer with windows software you are using Windows 10. No choice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

If you use a computer with windows software you are using Windows 10. No choice.

I didn't say one should not use Windows 10, just that it's not necessary to like it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's possible to like some parts of Windows and dislike others. There's a lot of half-baked stuff going on, but there's a lot of useful additions too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I prefer not to attach my emotional well being to the functionality of a computer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

I prefer not to attach my emotional well being to the functionality of a computer.

Thanks for this post. I agree.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why does nobody ever ask if the computer likes Windows 10? Surely that's the most important thing

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why does skype keep coming back like herpes, this is the third time i've had to uninstall it since updating to 1803

And yes, I do have the silent app install registry entry set to 0.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

why does skype keep coming back like herpes, this is the third time i've had to uninstall it since updating to 1803

And yes, I do have the silent app install registry entry set to 0.

Before you uninstall it again, check what its status is showing in windows store. I've read if an app is in an update state there and you uninstall it'll just do what you're seeing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I'm having a hell of a time getting the April update to take on my mum's laptop. Thing downloads and installs fine, but it'll then restart, get to the spinny-thing stage where it's finishing-off and always gets stuck at 53%.

There's enough space and I've already had a crack with the update troubleshooter. I'm giving DISM and sfc a bash now, but if nothing comes of that, any suggestions?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Eregos posted:

I've been trying to google this problem off and on for months and haven't pinned down what the problem is for me. Explorer.exe on my Windows 10 install randomly spikes to Extremely high CPU usage, at least 80% and often very near to 100% for several seconds, repeating every few minutes. This actually was also somewhat of a problem on Windows 7, but it's even worse on my 10 install. It might not be as bad when I'm gaming/compiling/whatever CPU maxing activity, as whatever bullshit explorer is doing might take a lower priority. But it still feels like it's impacting my gaming performance a little bit and thus the issue must be sussed out. I'm running a slightly overclocked i7-6700k and Win10 Pro N (legacy of past MSDN key maximization), can provide more specs if relevant. I tried searching the thread but found no relevant results.

When I installed windows 10 I did follow a few guides for reducing 10's numerous spyware and adware services, and did so in a rather ad hoc manner that I suspect might be leading some of those processes, which maybe piggieback off explorer.exe, to waste CPU time trying to activate cousin services/processes that I disabled. But this is purely a guess. I also tried enabling/disabling automatic file indexing for my fraps folder, which changed nothing. Since few other people seem to have these random Explorer.exe spikes, I've thought the cause is probably some kind of customization I've made.

CPU utilization graph from Processhacker.exe (a nicer alternative to Task Manager, has the option to disable process killing confirmations. Also makes nice graphs for sussing out this Explorer.exe issue)

In the months since, I didn't solve the problem but I did make a discovery I'll share since it was a difficult thing to search for. Using Task Manager to set affinity of Explorer.exe to one CPU core does limit its utilization, but does limit desktop performance noticeably. In most circumstances its not too bad, in my case when it gets bad I more normally set it to 2/8 cores.

But some processes, such as Mass Effect 3, older game true, clearly piggyback off Explorer.exe somehow (difficult issue to search for, maybe someone here can illuminate) as limiting explorer.exe to one core but keeping Mass Effect the same absolutely crippled my normally 150fps g-sync framerate. If one is suspicious that other processes are suffering degraded performance because they are piggybacking off Explorer.exe which has been CPU limited, limiting it to 1/X cores instead of 2/X cores may be advisable as any performance downgrade will be easier to identify.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

phosdex posted:

Before you uninstall it again, check what its status is showing in windows store. I've read if an app is in an update state there and you uninstall it'll just do what you're seeing.

The Windows 10 app podge(because its built on the existing application registry system) is confusing and really bad, I still don't fully understand it and feel I probably never will. Windows 10 went too far in the direction of trying to be smarter than the user and this ends up wasting a lot of my time. I find the answer is usually to use older menu systems, which have been made harder to access but that's what god mode (All Control Panel Tasks) is for. Maybe I'll search the thread for a guide on what a real user needs to know about the stupid app system's intricacies later.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Eregos posted:

In the months since, I didn't solve the problem but I did make a discovery I'll share since it was a difficult thing to search for. Using Task Manager to set affinity of Explorer.exe to one CPU core does limit its utilization, but does limit desktop performance noticeably. In most circumstances its not too bad, in my case when it gets bad I more normally set it to 2/8 cores.

But some processes, such as Mass Effect 3, older game true, clearly piggyback off Explorer.exe somehow (difficult issue to search for, maybe someone here can illuminate) as limiting explorer.exe to one core but keeping Mass Effect the same absolutely crippled my normally 150fps g-sync framerate. If one is suspicious that other processes are suffering degraded performance because they are piggybacking off Explorer.exe which has been CPU limited, limiting it to 1/X cores instead of 2/X cores may be advisable as any performance downgrade will be easier to identify.

Do you have the media feature pack installed?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

astral posted:

Do you have the media feature pack installed?

I installed every damned one of those I needed for legacy applications, so yes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Eregos posted:

I installed every damned one of those I needed for legacy applications, so yes.

Then I'd wager you're right that one of the things you did "for reducing 10's numerous spyware and adware services" adversely affected your system. May want to consider doing a clean install or reset type thing when it comes time for the next big build upgrade.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

astral posted:

Then I'd wager you're right that one of the things you did "for reducing 10's numerous spyware and adware services" adversely affected your system. May want to consider doing a clean install or reset type thing when it comes time for the next big build upgrade.

Seconding this. Clean install all the way. 1803 has just been released so maybe now is a good time.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

1803 update installed last night, all good except for system restore being disabled / greyed out... Wtf?

I restarted it via GPEDIT.MSC, is this happening to other people too?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 6, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

1803 update installed last night, all good except for system restore being disabled / greyed out... Wtf?

I restarted it via GPEDIT.MSC, is this happening to other people too?

I decided to check mine and wtf, it was set to use my entire drive and had eaten 80GB. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ouch. :tipshat:

With these reinstall updates, how does it handle the registry? Does it use any intelligence and rebuild it based only on what's installed, or does it just copy over the old registry file?

This is just idle curiosity really.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 6, 2018