Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

A toss up between that and Panther’s reason that “everyone else would just try to weaponize it” (Which actually did happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude couldn't even licence out unstable molecules without a company trying to weaponizing it and almost causing a grey goo apocalypse in the process.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zaodai posted:

They had to have some answer for "Why doesn't Mister Fantastic actually fix anything if he's so smart?". So he constantly needs money and somehow gets more money by suppressing the stuff that would help humanity than actually turning it into a marketable product.

Planetary almost writes itself, doesn't it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaodai posted:

They had to have some answer for "Why doesn't Mister Fantastic actually fix anything if he's so smart?". So he constantly needs money and somehow gets more money by suppressing the stuff that would help humanity than actually turning it into a marketable product.

This only occurs because comic book writers don't understand how businesses work.

Which isn't a surprise given that they wound up as comic book writers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Random Stranger posted:

This only occurs because comic book writers don't understand how businesses work.

Which isn't a surprise given that they wound up as comic book writers.
I hate capitalism as much as the next goon but sometimes it is weird how on the one hand quarterly profits are destroying everything, and on the other hand big companies are far-sighted enough to collaborate to suppress cures in the specific case (burying the super-cures) as opposed to the passive generic case (not spending money to research them).

I figure the problem is implementation in most cases, but it would be cool if comics low-key portrayed things as being significantly if not unrealistically a bit in advance of where we are now and just being like, "Oh yeah the airport taxi here is automatic. Anyway how was your flight, Gambit? Did you vape?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I figure the problem is implementation in most cases, but it would be cool if comics low-key portrayed things as being significantly if not unrealistically a bit in advance of where we are now and just being like, "Oh yeah the airport taxi here is automatic. Anyway how was your flight, Gambit? Did you vape?"

One kinda nice thing is that in the MCU (albiet mostly in the TV shows), prosthetic technology even for civilians is much more advanced, thank you Stark and others.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nessus posted:

I hate capitalism as much as the next goon but sometimes it is weird how on the one hand quarterly profits are destroying everything, and on the other hand big companies are far-sighted enough to collaborate to suppress cures in the specific case (burying the super-cures) as opposed to the passive generic case (not spending money to research them).

Classic conspiracy theory logic, our Enemy is all powerful and controlling everything from the shadows, and simultaneously pathetic subhuman fools who can't be trusted to run things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The reason you don't see super-scientists doing stuff like curing diseases or building power plants is because when you start going down that rabbit hole you end up with a superhero universe that doesn't look anything like ours.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

muscles like this! posted:

The reason you don't see super-scientists doing stuff like curing diseases or building power plants is because when you start going down that rabbit hole you end up with a superhero universe that doesn't look anything like ours.

Really though, none of the super hero universes looks like ours.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Pastry of the Year posted:

what in god's name is with this art? it's like Joe Matt and Frank Quitely had an astoundingly ugly baby

Ramon Villalobos has a unique style that's pretty weird, but I dig it now and then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with that is a universe with superheroes shouldn't be anything like ours. There isn't an aspect of life that wouldn't be significantly impacted by the things we see happen regularly in superhero comics. It's best just to accept that whatever happens is pretty much "our world just with some guys who can do magic things" as a concession to the genre. When you draw attention to these problems by trying to explore them, it just makes a mess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure what the dilemma you're having is here, but suppressing cures means you can bleed the sick dry by keeping chronic care in check through pills you make them buy for decades

SilverSupernova posted:

A toss up between that and Panther’s reason that “everyone else would just try to weaponize it” (Which actually did happen).

Wakanda not giving out the cure for cancer gave us Jane Thor I guess

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think if anybody wrote a comic that examined the effect of superheros on our real world politics and technology it'd probably be one of the best selling graphic novels of all time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

I think if anybody wrote a comic that examined the effect of superheros on our real world politics and technology it'd probably be one of the best selling graphic novels of all time

BORING gimmie for dudes in tights and capes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

When did Beast become a surly jerk?

Having your hair braided when you don't need it to be means sitting around for almost an hour while people tug at your hair for no reason. And that you're the one that has to unbraid it afterwards.

When your entire body is covered in hair, well... I would not want that either.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Are the any super geniuses in comics who restrict themselves to low societal impact quality of life sales?

Like, designing the perfect toilet paper. Shoes that are always comfortable. Street signs you can always read clearly in any weather.

"BEHOLD! An Eco-friendly take out bag that still won't have grease stains seep through and onto your car seat! Coming soon. A lovely paper cup of coffee that won't burn your hands to hold all on it's own"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 4, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'd be ok reading a comic universe where AIDS and cancer are eradicated

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Oh you mean Marvelman?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unmature posted:

I'd be ok reading a comic universe where AIDS and cancer are eradicated

It's not like (barring a few exceptions like the aforementioned Jane Foster Thor) their presence has any major plot effects outside of when it's time for an author to raise awareness by trying to crowbar them in as ham handedly as possible.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

purple death ray posted:

You might enjoy Astro City

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ignite Memories posted:

More like Astrowns City. Because it owns.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TwoPair posted:

All-New Wolverine #26: Laura just found her presumed-dead mother

Beast would look sick as gently caress with braids. He'd look kinda like Battle Beast in Invincible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

purple death ray posted:

Sometimes people kinda do that, but not deep enough(Peace on Earth and such)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I got your reference purple death ray.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ignite Memories posted:

Everyone should enjoy Astro City because it is universally awesome.

I think my favorite superhero meta moment in Astro City was the lawyer who made the "how did you know a doppelganger didn't do it" defense, which someone can probably post here. Everyone's favorite Astro City moment is obviously the Nearness of You, though, which isn't funny.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Strange Aeon posted:

I got your reference purple death ray.

Thank you, drat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Reed Richards: So I made a takeout coffee cup that maintains a comfortable temperature regardless of the heat of the coffee inside.
Coffee Company: Excellent, we'll buy i-
Reed Richards: However the process also automatically creates reuseable coffee beans at the base of the cup that never lose their flavor or strength. Ever.
Coffee Company: Godda-
Doom: I have also produced a temperature controlled coffee cup. However it will shoot poison-spikes into the mouth of drinkers at random, unpredictable intervals.
Coffee Company: And you can't prevent that from happening?
Doom: I can. I won't. :doom:

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
That was an impressive amount of people who had death ray's joke fly right over their head huh.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

site posted:

Wakanda not giving out the cure for cancer gave us Jane Thor I guess

Well when they DID try sharing it, the government promptly used it to make anti-Deadpool bullets.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

That was an impressive amount of people who had death ray's joke fly right over their head huh.

You also might enjoy Astro City

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Reed Richards: So I made a takeout coffee cup that maintains a comfortable temperature regardless of the heat of the coffee inside.
Coffee Company: Excellent, we'll buy i-
Reed Richards: However the process also automatically creates reuseable coffee beans at the base of the cup that never lose their flavor or strength. Ever.
Coffee Company: Godda-

The coffee company won't buy it. The coffee cup manufacturers, OTOH, will give Reed all the money for it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Maybe something that would show how historical events would play out differently too. Oh well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's nothing about comic book super-science not creating utopias that can't be explained by sliding timelines. All their stories take place in the present day, so all of the world-changing ramifications of the industrial-scale development of Reed Richards' inventions are still in the future.

If you're hung up on cancer specifically, just remember that there are over a hundred kinds of cancer, and the kind that your favorite character just died of was a different kind than the kind that he just farted out a cure for.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Every time someone cures a strain of cancer someone else creates a new one, problem solved

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Every time someone cures a strain of cancer someone else creates a new one, problem solved

"Someone" being "Reed Richards" and "Dr. Doom" respectively. Except for that weird situation where it was Dr. Doom and Reed Richards instead.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
There's a lot of options, Reed cures one type of cancer, Pym creates another, McCoy brings back polio, Strange summons demonic bacteria, Stark creates Grey Goo, Banner mixes up a Gamma Migraine and so on

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Well when they DID try sharing it, the government promptly used it to make anti-Deadpool bullets.

That seems like a good use of it, though?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Unmature posted:

Doesn't he also cure aids and stuff and gets paid by big pharma to not release them or something? I remember reading that somewhere in the early 2000s and it really annoying me and seeming un-superhero-y

IIRC it was only a cure for acne that he was paid to suppress. Also most of Reed's inventions are either too ridiculously expensive to mass-produce or too dangerous. Like during Waid's FF run, something as "simple" as clothes made from unstable molecules almost destroyed the world when a clothing company tried to copy Johnny's wallet and Reed's iPad made a villainous math program because Franklin pressed a few buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I know Valiant went harder into making their universe have a clear split where it just straight became a gonzo alternate timeline starting from WW2 and going batshit in the mid 2000's. Like, the first big obvious divergence was the Syrian conflict being ended super early because Assad was assassinated by psychics. Then time travelers conquered Romania, Mexico City was nuked out of existence, a psychic dictator conquered Somalia...