Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

I feel Iike this could be solved with planetary mini-campaigns that are 3-5 battles all in a row with no breaks allowed.

I really like this idea too.

Currently doing a playthrough with the restriction that if a priority mission comes up I must do it right away and I'm not allowed to let the clock run in between missions, and it's forced me to actually hire some extra pilots and go with weaker compositions. (Three mechs out of commission after Smithon and not enough bodies? Slot in the newly salvaged stock Griffin, hire two recruits, and go again right away.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's an unfortunate typo for Zeon lmao

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the clans have a place in the future of battletech but they occupy the unenviable position of being a flaming sack of garbage thematically, narratively, and mechanically

adds up pretty quickly to being filed under Future Me's Problem

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That's an unfortunate typo for Zeon lmao

ahahahah jesus, no poo poo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do enemy pilots take damage if you overheat them into shutdown?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I really want to see an "operation map" system for bigger missions where you're given a number of possible objectives to hit and a limited amount of drop capacity to split between the objectives you decide to take. like you could be given the ability to hit your actual objective, an artillery park, an ammunition dump, and a communications tower, with 650 tons or whatever split between then. for bigger campaigns you could have this happen in multiple drops with objectives being added or unlocked based on what you did in the previous drop.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Do enemy pilots take damage if you overheat them into shutdown?

no, which would annoy me more were an overheated robot not at least one free round of target practice

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The clans are bad, but they aren't the Republic of the Sphere or Word of Blake bad.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jack2142 posted:

The clans are bad, but they aren't the Republic of the Sphere or Word of Blake bad.

What's their deal?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
from osmosis from MWO goons, i think they're from way, way further on in the timeline than this game is set in?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Trip report:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927056706499324183/205E836D76617CB7127B32415DCF0FCB7B86454E/

TOTALLY WORKS.

Only downside is that you get Stability damage with each DFA. Otherwise, you can just Chain Stomp enemies nonstop.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trip report:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927056706499324183/205E836D76617CB7127B32415DCF0FCB7B86454E/

TOTALLY WORKS.

Only downside is that you get Stability damage with each DFA. Otherwise, you can just Chain Stomp enemies nonstop.

Use the morale ability that gives you defense + removes stability. You should probably be gaining enough morale from killing mechs to keep it up.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My dude, that's what vigilance is for.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

from osmosis from MWO goons, i think they're from way, way further on in the timeline than this game is set in?

you know how the Star Wars EU had Our Heroes running into a new threat... even worse than the empire??? every other goddamned week

you are best off thinking along those lines

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Trip report:

TOTALLY WORKS.

huh, finally a good use for the Dragon

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's their deal?

The Word of Blake is if Comcast ran the world, and was also ALL ABOUT the Pope.

But hey, not everyone in Comcast is religious right? So they eventually say money matters more then the Pope, we can make more if we stop the Pope stuff.

Then the people all about the Pope declare Jihad ( literally, they declare a Jihad in the games lore. It's called the Jihad ) and conquer a whole bunch of worlds and force people to care about the Pope.

Needless to say all the Successor States are suddenly drawn into a war with this crazy religious army.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Saddest Robot posted:

Use the morale ability that gives you defense + removes stability. You should probably be gaining enough morale from killing mechs to keep it up.

It's cool. I got knocked over, and all the enemy lance gathered around my dude to try to kick his teeth in.

Packing that much armor meant he shrugged all their attacks off as negligible, got back up, and restomplaunched.

There's basically no downside here.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's their deal?

Word of Blake is space ISIS and the republic of the sphere is Star Leauge 3.0.

They were a clumsy attempt at a setting reset that failed terribly.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao what

I gotta wiki this. That makes clan stuff seem cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
poo poo, now I'm sad my dual -30 DFA grasshopper can't get down to 0 DFA damage.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rookersh posted:

The Word of Blake is if Comcast ran the world, and was also ALL ABOUT the Pope.

But hey, not everyone in Comcast is religious right? So they eventually say money matters more then the Pope, we can make more if we stop the Pope stuff.

Then the people all about the Pope declare Jihad ( literally, they declare a Jihad in the games lore. It's called the Jihad ) and conquer a whole bunch of worlds and force people to care about the Pope.

Needless to say all the Successor States are suddenly drawn into a war with this crazy religious army.

The other stupid thing was that their pope was the "real" heir of one of the Successor States the FWL and that state once it finally stopped being the Waluigi of Battletech was run by a secret body double all along and then imploded.

Also the Jihad included with lots of nukes, genocide etc. trying to turn back the clock to 3025... Then someone's Mechwarrior character Devlin Stone who was more a Mary sue than any that came before in the goofy lore saved the day and everyone decided to give up their Battlemechs and disarm.

Then let him reform the Terran Hegemony and steal half their planets in Star League v3.0

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 4, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's their deal?

The clans society is ruled by loving idiots who are obsessed with honor and competition with the other clans, which made their invasion of the Inner Sphere end in a hugely embarrassing defeat that permanently crippled several clans and caused their already poorly structured society to implode from their obsessive rivalries.

Imagine combining a neo-Nazi with a frat boy with a weeboo with a football player. That's everyone in the clans. Everyone. Except clan wolf who were actually good and smart people.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Trip report:

TOTALLY WORKS.

So, just in case: I assume the second Piloting ability does not allow you to punch and jump/DFA in the same turn?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I heard they were making a mechwarrior 5, but the preview videos look pretty ugly. I hope they improve it before it releases. I miss mechwarrior offline.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sure did end up with a lot of bulwark/multi-target/breaching shot mechwarriors. One sensor lock ace pilot and one meleeman too. Turns out ignoring cover and shooting everyone over and over is good. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

So, just in case: I assume the second Piloting ability does not allow you to punch and jump/DFA in the same turn?
It does not. Both melee and DFA use your movement ability and end your turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Rewriting lore to make it better is almost always a good thing, yes. This isn't some epic masterpiece, it's 30-year-old schlocky backstory for a nerd strategy game. What benefit is there in retaining unaltered something which can be improved, other than some fans' rediculously unhealthy irrational attachment to the original?

I don't particularly disagree with you, but modern day rewrites are mostly being done by fans. You know, the same types that produce some of the utter poo poo people are mentioning for Kickstarter self-insert pilot backgrounds?

Or, to give a more specific example...

Eej posted:

Clan Widowmaker planted a nuke in Clan Wolverine's capital city and got Wolverine blamed for it. Heck, Clan Widowmaker basically got Wolverine deleted from the history books because they didn't like their nascent Marxism.

This "Wolverine did nothing wrong" garbage was a rewrite within the last few years, because someone apparently has a hard-on for their special snowflake Clan and thus they can't have been morally ambiguous at all. As per original lore, the Wolverines detonated two nukes on their way out - one in their capital to deny it to their enemies, and one in the capital of another Clan they had currently been in conflict with. Now the Widowmakers being behind the one nuke could almost be believable (if you ignore that previously the Watch was said to have been directly created in response to IS intelligence organizations), but the explanation behind the other not really being them is so utterly goddamn stupid that one should just ignore the whole thing.

Let's not forget that the idiotic novel this crap is from (Betrayal of Ideals) is also the one that ends with it turning out some sibko of Ghost Bear is actually tainted with Wolverine DNA, so it has to be purged, and said sibko - to a child - willingly shoots themselves rather than take any other option. Because apparently Wolverines are just that honorable or something. I'm also not remotely remembering anything particularly Marxist about them at all, so no clue where the hell Eej is getting that from.

And yes, the caveat to this is that you do also get incredibly well-written additions/rewrites by fans as well - PTN's AU being a good example of this. But let's not pretend that just because it's a rewrite of a 30-year old schlocky game innately makes it good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is there like a single person actually attached to the Jihad or the Dark Age? It feels like they could more or less follow the timeline up to the Great Refusal and then go off into their own timeline cause, you know, Weisman is there.

The Skeleton King posted:

The clans society is ruled by loving idiots who are obsessed with honor and competition with the other clans, which made their invasion of the Inner Sphere end in a hugely embarrassing defeat that permanently crippled several clans and caused their already poorly structured society to implode from their obsessive rivalries.

Imagine combining a neo-Nazi with a frat boy with a weeboo with a football player. That's everyone in the clans. Everyone. Except clan wolf who were actually good and smart people.

Don't forget Clan Ghost Bear who just wanna envelope everyone in a big bear hug, with the grip tightening if they misbehave

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord Koth posted:

I'm also not remotely remembering anything particularly Marxist about them at all, so no clue where the hell Eej is getting that from.

It's a joke because their transgression was to increase the size of their Labourer class

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
So, can anyone tell me what getting critted does to a weapon? I don't think it destroys it, so is it just less accurate?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I'll try it and let you know
I've been using junky pilots to test

edit: nevermind apparently it doesnt, sad

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Eej posted:

Is there like a single person actually attached to the Jihad or the Dark Age? It feels like they could more or less follow the timeline up to the Great Refusal and then go off into their own timeline cause, you know, Weisman is there.

Don't forget Clan Ghost Bear who just wanna envelope everyone in a big bear hug, with the grip tightening if they misbehave

I think the Jihad has some fans, and Catalyst has made the Dark Ages a bit less stupid than when Wiz Kids was pushing their clip stuff.

I kinda agree, maybe push it up to the start of the Fedcom civil war.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

School Nickname posted:

So, can anyone tell me what getting critted does to a weapon? I don't think it destroys it, so is it just less accurate?

Yep, if it gets crit it becomes less accurate and if it gets crit again it gets destroyed. Of course, if you lose the entire section it skips straight to destroyed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How do you all go about deciding how to fit new-to-you 'Mechs?

I kind of had a discussion last night in the Discord about this, about comparing armor and speed and available tonnage, but it's still not sitting very well in my head. Makes me feel like I'm doing it consistently wrong, even if I'm not.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lord Koth posted:

I don't particularly disagree with you, but modern day rewrites are mostly being done by fans. You know, the same types that produce some of the utter poo poo people are mentioning for Kickstarter self-insert pilot backgrounds?

Since we're talking about the HBS game I'm assuming any rewriting will be done by them and not by dumb fans but point taken.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Think my game might be a bit broken ish, applied the milestone change, did the second Smithson mission, now every planet is one or less skulls?

Is this by design, or have I turbo hosed my game?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I like that General Motors is still around in the 32nd century.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ciaphas posted:

How do you all go about deciding how to fit new-to-you 'Mechs?

I kind of had a discussion last night in the Discord about this, about comparing armor and speed and available tonnage, but it's still not sitting very well in my head. Makes me feel like I'm doing it consistently wrong, even if I'm not.

Stop worrying about efficiency and just use what you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Eej posted:

Everything past 3048 is a mistake.