Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trem_two posted:

PSG beat Monaco 7-1 to clinch the league title

:effort:

they waited all the way until week 33 to clinch the title with a +80 goal differential, now that's competitive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A third-tier team has made it to the Coupe de France final, so that's another easy trophy for Paris Saint-Germain

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jason Sextro posted:

A third-tier team has made it to the Coupe de France final, so that's another easy trophy for Paris Saint-Germain

That owns though, who did they beat to get there?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

They collected some decent scalps - Chambly in the semis, RC Lens in the quarters, AJ Auxerre in the Round of 16, and lower-tier teams up until that point.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but if teams from two tiers apart play each other, the higher-tier team has to play at the lower-tier team's pitch, which actually leads to a lot of upsets. Lower-tier teams almost never win the Coupe, of course, but they make it to the finals surprisingly often. The last one was EA Guingamp, who were playing in Ligue 2 in 2009 when they won.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jason Sextro posted:

They collected some decent scalps - Chambly in the semis, RC Lens in the quarters, AJ Auxerre in the Round of 16, and lower-tier teams up until that point.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but if teams from two tiers apart play each other, the higher-tier team has to play at the lower-tier team's pitch, which actually leads to a lot of upsets. Lower-tier teams almost never win the Coupe, of course, but they make it to the finals surprisingly often. The last one was EA Guingamp, who were playing in Ligue 2 in 2009 when they won.

That's a cool rule. In most countries its a random draw to determine the home side or a two legged tie (Spain)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jason Sextro posted:

This rules except for the part where PSG will win.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

This rules except for the part where PSG will win.

In one sentence you've summed up my opinion of French football in its entirety

But really, giving lower-tier teams a better sporting chance actually creates more excitement and makes the Coupe more interesting to follow (except, again, for the part where PSG will win).

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Monaco are broken after the 7-1 and could have lost to the mighty Amiens today. Amiens ftw

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Monaco are broken after the 7-1 and could have lost to the mighty Amiens today. Amiens ftw

this is what GFFN says about Monaco at the moment:

"RMC report this week that the Monaco dressing room is in an increasing state of disarray at present, with groups of players not putting in the effort required to secure 2nd place in Ligue 1 for multiple reasons.

Certain individuals are playing as if they are thinking about the club they will be joining in the summer, others are taking less risks so as in order to be fit for their national team’s exploits in the upcoming World Cup.

The contract extension announcement of midfielder João Moutinho has made some of his team-mates upset because they themselves have seen their contract extension negotiations put on hold at the expense of the Portuguese international’s shining new deal."

If Marseille wins tomorrow, Monaco's slipping to fourth and (at least for now) out of the Champions League, lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Good, I'm glad Monaco is getting hosed.

I haven't heard much about Big Balo lately, did he manage to get himself frozen out of the squad or has he just been quiet?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Good, I'm glad Monaco is getting hosed.

I haven't heard much about Big Balo lately, did he manage to get himself frozen out of the squad or has he just been quiet?

He's been quiet - nobody's sure if he's staying, but from what I'm hearing he's loved in the city and Lucien Favre likes him too. So it's pretty drama-free.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is nobody talking about Amiens mauling PSG 2-2 and confirming their status as one of France’s top clubs?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Why is nobody talking about Amiens mauling PSG 2-2 and confirming their status as one of France’s top clubs?

I think UEFA should give them a spot in next year's Europa League Group Stage, imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jason Sextro posted:

I think UEFA should give them a spot in next year's Europa League Group Stage, imo

Agreed OP, the EL theme playing on a Thursday night at la Licorne....shaking it to pieces. Mmmm

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
good goal by Balotelli

https://streamable.com/lcj12

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
this thread should now just be Balotelli goal clips

https://streamable.com/si9ln

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

this thread should now just be Balotelli goal clips

https://streamable.com/si9ln

If Mancini the clown idiot bitch moron doesn't call up Balotelli I'm gonna be mad as hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tuchel is the next psg manager to get sacked for failing in the champions league quarter finals

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ranieri is out at Nantes, but lol at this story

quote:

Claudio Ranieri will leave Nantes at the end of the season, announced club owner Waldemar Kita this evening. “There is no anger.” Kita made the comments during a sponsorship event this evening.

“We can’t hide anything. We had a meeting with the sponsors, he thanked everyone. He has to be thanked for all the work he has done. It has not always been easy, there are regrets, but this is life and there is no anger.”

The rapport between the men had been increasingly tense, with Kita publicly criticising his choices and Ranieri replying in interviews that a dismissal was an option if he wasn’t satisfied.

Ranieri then didn’t attend the club’s anniversary dinner because he “couldn’t find a parking space” and so flew to London instead to check on a leaky ceiling.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wtf

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jose posted:

tuchel is the next psg manager to get sacked for failing in the champions league quarter finals

and then PSG will sign another self-absorbed attacker and continue to wonder why copying Real Madrid's Galactico policy when they also underachieved isn't getting results

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ligue 1 is implementing VAR this season. Good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol neymar going to have his worst professional season

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

lol neymar going to have his worst professional season

It'll be glorious.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The meltdowns will be fantastic. He's already been having a cry about how rough the Ligue 1 is, lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh my god the world cup anime has reached ligue 1

https://twitter.com/GoalJP_Official/status/1027843243977789445?s=19

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Severe lack of Balotelli.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can’t wait for Amiens SC to push on and qualify for Europe now. Not getting relegated is also fine.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Can’t wait for Amiens SC to push on and qualify for Europe now. Not getting relegated is also fine.

They had a top 5 defense last year, Amiens in the Europa League would be awesome. Angers has managed to perform very well in the last few years, so I suspect Amiens can do it as well.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The new OM kit is terrible, they should've stuck with Adidas

Also, it's good to see Payet back

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

OM without Adidas is just too hard to wrap my head around, honestly. I wonder why they went to Puma instead, those new kits are indeed terrible.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jason Sextro posted:

OM without Adidas is just too hard to wrap my head around, honestly. I wonder why they went to Puma instead, those new kits are indeed terrible.

Milan did the same and the home isn't bad. The away is a travesty, though.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Milan did the same and the home isn't bad. The away is a travesty, though.

The home and the third are ok. That away one, though... all you need is just black with that sky-blue crest, you wouldn't think that would be hosed up, and yet?

Still, though, Robert Louis-Dreyfus bought OM when he was CEO of Adidas in the 90s, so to me it always felt like a sort-of connection to a period of time when Marseille was actually successful, god knows that isn't now.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Newly-promoted Ligue 2 champions Reims beat Lyon and Nice 1-0 to start out the season. They have no players left from when they were relegated in 2016.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Jason Sextro posted:

Newly-promoted Ligue 2 champions Reims beat Lyon and Nice 1-0 to start out the season. They have no players left from when they were relegated in 2016.

Next year they'll finally win la Coupe d'Europe des Clubs Champions! :getin:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lebron posted on IG with Big Mar and Mbappe. 1 photo with Neymar. 2 with Mbappe.

cased closed

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

These stats must be really fuckin advanced

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1036925790540247040

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Typical PSG, OptaJean isn't enough I guess

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN