Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

A clever bit of advice I heard is that if you are women and you are attached a night: shout 'Fire!'

It seems that more people will respond to that than if you called for the police or a generic 'help!'

And the worst case scenario is that someone calls the fire service and 12 big, strong men will turn up who probably have equally strong views on people who attack women.

Don't you run away from a fire?

Grem posted:

Also don't try to fight firemen. I've responded as a cop to a few D&Ds where the fire or EMS got there first and a dude decides that getting beat to gently caress by 12 firefighters who spend all day working out and eating is a good option. I mean maybe they're right it is a better option than trusting us not to shoot them but it didn't look pleasant.

Leave, now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

spog posted:

Was their mission : 'Be a dick to the greatest number of people possible. Difficulty level: no airstrikes, no guns'?

More like "get through this road full of traffic as quickly as possible, without stopping, because we are a big fat loving target and can't stop for even a moment"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xtal posted:

Don't you run away from a fire?

At the time I heard it, it relied on the basic nosiness of people.

These days, you'd have to beat the rush of people trying to take cool selfies in front of a fire.

Mind you, they'd probably just take a photo in front of the assault and be more concerned about putting it on twitter than doing anything to help.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Deteriorata posted:

No, their mission was not to stop for anything ever, because if they did someone would try to blow them up.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Their conclusion was "carbon tetrachloride burns" (which I don't think is even an ingredient)

yeah, nah, I'm pretty sure carbon tetrachloride was the poo poo that used to be in old-timey fire extinguishers before people figured out that exposure to it was actually not much better for your health than being on fire.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

My senior year science fair wasn't quite the horror show, but we did have a guy with a big container of liquid nitrogen that would freeze just about anything for fun.

We sent somebody on a lunch run and then tried frozen taco bell and frozen jr bacon cheeseburgers. Surprisingly okay.

The year before was my "Rave Room," where apparently small children kept daring each other to see who could successfully stare into the lasers. Had to shut that poo poo down early.

Didn't your class end up making siege engines on the football practice field?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I can't remember details because it was a few years ago but at least half of science fair experiments at my kids' school could be boiled down to "does this poison taste bad?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Walmart parking lot in Ventura was the only place where I saw people parking against the flow of traffic, including in the fire lanes. And onto the sidewalk in front of the store too come to think of it. I don't know why that only happened there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

The Walmart parking lot in Ventura was the only place where I saw people parking against the flow of traffic, including in the fire lanes. And onto the sidewalk in front of the store too come to think of it. I don't know why that only happened there.

Because Walmart.

If you want to lose any last shred of faith you have in humanity work at Walmart for more than a week.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The year before was my "Rave Room," where apparently small children kept daring each other to see who could successfully stare into the lasers. Had to shut that poo poo down early.

Didn't your class end up making siege engines on the football practice field?

Two!

The morning Physics classes built a 10 or 12 foot arm trebuchet out if 2x4s mounted in the back of somebody's old pickup.

The afternoon class had a couple guys show up and immediately leave for the welding shop every day for a couple weeks. Somebody's dad pirched in a couple hundred bucks for materials. They ended up building one out of steel bracing with a 16 foot arm that could be disassembled. They also build attachable wheels for easy movement. It wasn't bad to store aside from the arm.

We shot bowling balls on the football firld until the coach yelled at us for leaving divots. The pickup one was surprisingly competitive, but since all the ballast was in the front the back of the pickup lifted up 4 or so feet when fired with a full load. It got over the 50 yard line a few times.

The steel one we got up to 70 yards or so, but even after stealing all the weights out of the gym we only hit 2/3rds of the max weight load. It was still getting pulled out at least 10 years after graduation from what I've heard.

They weren't the safest machines... but they sure weren't exposed black mold.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

At the time I heard it, it relied on the basic nosiness of people.

These days, you'd have to beat the rush of people trying to take cool selfies in front of a fire.

Mind you, they'd probably just take a photo in front of the assault and be more concerned about putting it on twitter than doing anything to help.

That’s why you’re supposed to yell Worldstar when you’re being assaulted now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Guy is lucky that he didn't lose a lot of skin. Aircraft carrier deck is smeared with nonskid coating, at the beginning of a voyage it's like walking on new lava. Over the period of a cruise, it gets worn down to the metal plates and has to be scraped off and relaid. Nasty stuff to slide on.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

More like "get through this road full of traffic as quickly as possible, without stopping, because we are a big fat loving target and can't stop for even a moment"

Imagine volunteering (and they are all volunteers) to join or stay in an army with active foreign occupation forces, then justifying ramming a bunch of civilian vehicles overseas because the choices you made have left you in fear for your safety. It's like every cop that escalates a situation then murders some kid because he was "afraid for his life" in the situation he created.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Guy is lucky that he didn't lose a lot of skin. Aircraft carrier deck is smeared with nonskid coating, at the beginning of a voyage it's like walking on new lava. Over the period of a cruise, it gets worn down to the metal plates and has to be scraped off and relaid. Nasty stuff to slide on.

Interesting, did not know that. I mean, I woulda figured it's nonskid but not that extreme.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Imagine volunteering (and they are all volunteers) to join or stay in an army with active foreign occupation forces, then justifying ramming a bunch of civilian vehicles overseas because the choices you made have left you in fear for your safety. It's like every cop that escalates a situation then murders some kid because he was "afraid for his life" in the situation he created.

Kind of, except the soldiers themselves aren't the ones who created that situation.

And I don't have to imagine :/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

When I watched that video I thought they were giant dicks but getting suicide bombed is probably a legit enough concern I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but regardless I think your post is bullshit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Kind of, except the soldiers themselves aren't the ones who created that situation.

Sure, but by 2007 pretty much everyone there knew there would be sand on their shoes when they signed up/re-signed. The people who put the soldiers on that crowded street, and the people who put those foreign soldiers in that country in the first place are the real shits, definitely, but those dudes could entirely on their own not have been on that road having to face the choice of being jackasses to half a city or risk being blown up.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure, but by 2007 pretty much everyone there knew there would be sand on their shoes when they signed up/re-signed. The people who put the soldiers on that crowded street, and the people who put those foreign soldiers in that country in the first place are the real shits, definitely, but those dudes could entirely on their own not have been on that road having to face the choice of being jackasses to half a city or risk being blown up.

Or those guys could've decided that their choices are to sign up or be stuck in a lovely life with few prospects for the future, and taken what they perceive to be the less bad option.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bunch of people ready and willing to voluneteer for the army makes the army more powerful, and feeds back into what those that direct them do with them.

So, stop signing up for the armed forces basically.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/PSRtKp5.mp4

The guy survived with a broken leg, there were a few other broken legs and arms. If an escalator is out of order, don't walk down the loving thing.

I know a guy who works for a company doing elevator and escalator maintenance and he swears every escalator he has ever had to look at regardless of age is an under maintained death trap waiting to eat sweet, sweet human flesh. Elevators are no worry to him because of many mandatory redundant safety systems. So I guess even in the US just take the stairs or elevator if you can.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

Bunch of people ready and willing to voluneteer for the army makes the army more powerful, and feeds back into what those that direct them do with them.

Yeah the military was a lot of people's ticket out of poo poo holes much like the ones we invaded, so I don't really give a gently caress what you think about ethical killing under capitalism.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

remember that during iraq 2 the army was heavily using stop loss so you didn't really have a choice unless you wanted to do something to get yourself dishonorably discharged or locked up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy

quote:

During August 2007, Iraq Veterans Against the War, an activist organization of former and current service members, announced a national "Stop the Stop-Loss" campaign at a press conference where they were holding a week-long vigil in a tower erected on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Other anti-Stop-Loss vigils have occurred in Bellingham, Washington, and Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

KoRMaK posted:

Totally the right thread, dude! The "people doing unsafe poo poo, usually at work" thread is the absolute best place to spread your rear end cheeks and void your bowels, depositing your steaming moral judgement on poor and undereducated people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah the military was a lot of people's ticket out of poo poo holes much like the ones we invaded, so I don't really give a gently caress what you think about ethical killing under capitalism.

Their ticket out of their shithole was to go to another shithole much like it and kill the people in their situation

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

boner confessor posted:

remember that during iraq 2 the army was heavily using stop loss so you didn't really have a choice unless you wanted to do something to get yourself dishonorably discharged or locked up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy

For a minority of those there, this is true.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-04-21-stoploss_N.htm

quote:

In all, 58,300 soldiers have been affected by stop loss since 2002, according to the Army. That's about 1% of active duty, Reserve and National Guard troops. For the 3rd Infantry Division, which is responsible for a portion of Iraq south of Baghdad, about 1,500 of its 22,500 soldiers is serving under stop loss, according to Maj. Alayne Conway.

Bunni-kat posted:

Totally the right thread, dude! The "people doing unsafe poo poo, usually at work" thread is the absolute best place to spread your rear end cheeks and void your bowels, depositing your steaming moral judgement on poor and undereducated people.

Where do you draw the line for "workplace safety" when a job involves interacting with other people? 0 injury/0 death policies are great inside a factory or other controlled environments, less so for law enforcement, military, etc. Tapping some cars on the road isn't that line (just shows off how indifferent they are) but there has to be a point where the safety of the invaded civilians around them preempts that of the soldiers doing the invading.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tapping cars is likely the safest thing for everyone. If they don't get attacked civilians don't get caught in the crossfire. It's still an rear end in a top hat thing to do and nobody has much a choice. War is the ultimate OSHA and an endless rabbit hole while potentially interesting, I think everything pertain has been said about the video and we should move on before it gets nasty regardless of intentions.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

:rolleyes:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m trying to find the full video because about 20 seconds after that video ended a huge IED goes off right in front of them. They just floor it while yelling at the driver to hurry up and people start shooting at them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Deteriorata posted:

No, their mission was not to stop for anything ever, because if they did someone would try to blow them up.

A self fulfilling prophecy.

Welcomed as liberators!

/break into house in middle of night, gang rape 12 year old girl, murder whole family including 6 year old sister.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also firefighters really loving hate people who block hydrants and they take an ENORMOUS amount of joy in being able to legally smash the gently caress out of their poo poo:

In a lot of states, the fact that the hoses were touching bits of broken out glass means they need to be replaced and they bill the owner of the car for a new set of 4" hoses.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bunni-kat posted:

yeah its always the right thread to remind people that signing up to murder people in another country is bad, even if it is to improve your economic situation.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 5, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No MRE's tonight boys!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
One of these pictures is not like the others. Must have been a firefighter's car.
Third row, far right.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

veiled boner fuel posted:

When I watched that video I thought they were giant dicks but getting suicide bombed is probably a legit enough concern I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but regardless I think your post is bullshit.
Put it this way: what purpose does an urban patrol serve when the entire time a vehicle is out of the wire its occupants fear attack and antagonize the local population. It’s literally risking your life to make the situation worse.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Brussels emergency vehicle operators would probably love to have the option to smash into some dumbfucks in traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTyMwO5JAoI&t=275s

7:40 when a fireman gets out to shout at people to make way way for the GIANT BLARING SIRENS.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fabulousity posted:

he swears every escalator he has ever had to look at regardless of age is an under maintained death trap waiting to eat sweet, sweet human flesh.

tell him to PM me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

Put it this way: what purpose does an urban patrol serve when the entire time a vehicle is out of the wire its occupants fear attack and antagonize the local population. It’s literally risking your life to make the situation worse.

I don't know but I do know this isn't the the thread about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

"They're rated at 200 pounds, should be plenty"