Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Sungard is the worst. They just shot me a support email using a non-white background with comic sans font. It's like it was sent from a Pentium 3 using lotus notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Sepist posted:

Sungard is the worst.

Yep.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Ironblood posted:

App passwords are randomly generated by users and admins can delete them and force them to regenerate if necessary. As it stands they're also a billion times better passwords than what your average user would create, and deleting them logs the user out of whatever device is using the app password. You only really need them for apps that can't handle the 2FA prompts.

Right, well, our userbase is way too stupid to handle app passwords and a lot are work from home... it would just be way too much disruption when they get confused. I need to research it more to see if I can use just 2FA and skip app passwords and still get most of the security.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Zero VGS posted:

Right, well, our userbase is way too stupid to handle app passwords and a lot are work from home... it would just be way too much disruption when they get confused. I need to research it more to see if I can use just 2FA and skip app passwords and still get most of the security.

App passwords will be for stuff like Outlook that doesn't know how to deal with MFA. They aren't so bad once you sit down with users for 5mins and provide them a quick little document on the process.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

App passwords will be for stuff like Outlook that doesn't know how to deal with MFA. They aren't so bad once you sit down with users for 5mins and provide them a quick little document on the process.

App passwords are only necessary for applications that don’t support modern authentication, and outlook and every other office application does that now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ah, I stand corrected.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Even powershell supports modern authentication it owns

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Not Outlook for Mac!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How old is your Mac Outlook?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

96 Port Hub posted:

Not Outlook for Mac!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2015/11/19/updated-office-365-modern-authentication-public-preview/

mewse
May 2, 2006

I feel like I might need some advice very soon. :yotj:?

I've just hit the 5yr mark at a relatively cushy pseudo-government position, but I've been a desktop support technician the whole time and I feel like I've plateaued. They've finally started paying for training and certs but it feels like too little too late. I should have my microsoft MTA cert in a month or two. Already have a B.Sc. and been in the industry for 12 years.

Current job, pros: salary matches union rates despite being non-union, customary merit increase yearly, generous pension matching (5% for my 4%), many free lunches, overtime relatively rare, basically no on-call

Current job, cons: non-technical managers (including CTO). Server/network admins deliberately withhold knowledge and expect us lowly desktop techs to mind our place, opportunities for advancement seem slim, promotions have been hinted but not given. Dept growth is spoken about often, but there's been zero staff growth in the 5 years I've been here. I've taken on many additional responsibilities without reward (VoIP admin, sole admin for an external agency, etc)

I think the gist is that I want to advance my career and it's not happening here.

I spoke to a friendly contact at a vendor who I trust and he referred me to the owner of a MSP who I've now spoken to on the phone and seems similarly amiable. I have never worked for a MSP. Reading everything about "never work for a MSP" here, I am worried I am being crazy considering jumping ship for a MSP.

So I need help understanding what red flags I need to look out for before I do a job interview with this guy. This MSP is small, like 4 or 5 people and doesn't have an office because it's all remote or on-site work for clients. I feel like myself and the MSP owner are both considering working together because our mutual friend has vouched for both of us. If the money+benefits isn't an increase I think that's a deal breaker.

Help me goons :shobon:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I can only speak to chef, but it’s... pretty ok on Windows? It’s still fundamentally a Linux-born, file-based tool whereas Windows tends to be managed via APIs and the registry. There are things it’s just not the right tool for and you’ll still want group policy or a mountain of PowerShell scripts to fall back on. But it does the stuff config management tools do well like modifying files and running arbitrary commands just fine on Windows.

The nice thing though is it has first class support for PowerShell and DSC. So if you’ve invested in those technologies you can use Chef to execute them for you using the familiar Chef DSL. This is cool when you have a mixed Linux and Windows environment as you can manage everything with the same toolchain (with the above caveats).

If I had a pure MS environment I don’t think Chef is where I’d go. But it’s nice when you’re primarily a Linux shop and also have some random Windows poo poo you have to manage for whatever reason, but not the expertise or scale or budget to justify shelling out for SCCM or something.

Vulture Culture posted:

In either one you're basically just going to be wrapping PowerShell DSC resources to do anything real. Ansible is better at orchestrating multi-step workflows and changes that involve multiple servers. Chef is good at composing things into higher-level primitives (something DSC can do anyway) and reusing community code (again, see previous note). Do you like Ruby, or do you like YAML with some Python in it?

I think I'm going to start experimenting with using Terraform to bootstrap DSC directly for my windows servers and chef for my linux servers.

The general idea being Terraform creates the VMs, runs a git pull remotely to get the configuration files, then starts dsc/chef.

Is there a better way to do this, or am I on the right track?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MSP are a great place to ramp up your knowledge on a million different subjects in record time.

The down side is you’re on a shoestring budget and it’s probably stressy as hell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah that concerns me. I’ve been having problems with stress and CTO heard my concerns and basically said “we’re all stressed”

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just had this exchange more or less verbatim with a coworker today. Again. It is always DNS.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

Just had this exchange more or less verbatim with a coworker today. Again. It is always DNS.

Always blaming DNS is a lack of creativity of how things can go wrong.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Docjowles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Same, but the network.

"Oh, two VM's connected to the same switch and on the same VLAN can't connect and you think it's a network routing problem?"

It's an application process. It's always an application process.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

other stuff can break
it's not always DNS
but this time it is

At work we're on the cusp of fixing problem with our DNS and I couldn't be happier.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Methanar posted:

The sentiment stems from "it's the network until proven otherwise." If it's not DNS, it's the server not being up. These are things that do not require a network engineer to figure out, and wading uphill through a stream of denials is the icing on the cake.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Same, but the network.

"Oh, two VM's connected to the same switch and on the same VLAN can't connect and you think it's a network routing problem?"

It's an application process. It's always an application process.

:respek:

Contingency fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 4, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've literally had this happen before and have it be a networking problem.

Basically: ESXi is bad like all other software and standard vswitches will silently drop any packets that have DSCP flags set. Instead of, you know, ignoring the value and not taking any particular action based on the flags, ESXi will just throw away the whole packet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Basically: ESXi is bad like all other software and standard vswitches will silently drop any packets that have DSCP flags set. Instead of, you know, ignoring the value and not taking any particular action based on the flags, ESXi will just throw away the whole packet.

And that's when you get real quiet on the conference call and act like you're as surprised as anyone that the issue just cleared up on its own.

Because otherwise they'll use that poo poo against you from that point on and will never even look at their servers until you've completed a full network health check.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Same, but the network.

s/network/database/g

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

Yeah but those are the exceptions that prove the rule that it's always DNS :argh:

Methanar posted:

We recently hit a bug in our Arista switches where their VXLAN implementation didn't honor gratuitous ARPs. That was cool to discover when we tried to fail over a bunch of HA services that use ARP to claim the VIP on the new master. And then those VIPs stopped pinging until we flipped them back or cleared ARP on the switch. But at least that was fun to dig into because it was not, for once, DNS.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I am at 9 years, 0 certs, no degree. I am(was, I def don't support them anymore) the nephew who is good with computers. I can never believe how it all worked out so good. I have worked myself out of job four times so far. I end up leaving once I see there are no more cool projects for me, I figure I have 5 years at my current job before I run out of fun stuff to learn and do.

No certs OR education but I'm rebuilding a network. I am also not specifically a network guy. What's your pucker factor?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

The thing I didn't mention is that most of those wirings on the 66 block weren't in use anymore, but a few random ones on there were. And most of the ones still in use were lazily sliced off at random points before they'd actually run out to the rest of the building so there were bursts of sliced cabling on the ceiling and along one of the walls - but I couldn't take good pictures of that because there was labeling there that'd be a bit too sensitive to show.

And no, that terminal monitor isn't actually connected to anything, though there appeared to be some things it might once have been connected to scattered about the space. There was a lot of stuff partially connected all about the place.

don;t stop im almost there

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
3.5 years of education (dropped out my senior year like an idiot), no certs, 15 years experience with most of it at the same place that I just left. I’ve had very few issues with getting interviews. A couple places required degrees, including one that wanted a masters for a data analyst I position, not senior or anything like that. Currently I am a Technical Support Engineer at a company that seems to appreciate their employees and it is great.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My current place basically requires a master's or PhD for management positions but that just goes to show you that you don't want a management position to begin with. I actually got this job specifically to get out of management and back into a technical role

Also academic inflatio is hella dumb.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Biopharma is good because the scientists can act like spoiled babies then I just tell em to shut up and follow the process properly. "But we just paid this technician to fly out from Japan to install a $300,000 instrument with a PC and he's only here for 4 hours waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" And I see they made the purchase in the PO system 2 weeks ago. So now I'm working with Finance to implement additional metadata on PO requests to drive a workflow that will copy me when the PO is submitted.

Anyhow, tldr biopharma is good *sips a very strong margarita whilst browsing the internet at work*

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 5, 2018

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got denied today for the third year in a row to replace our now 8-year-old virtual hosts :thumbsup:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sheep posted:

My current place basically requires a master's or PhD for management positions but that just goes to show you that you don't want a management position to begin with.
I'm sorry but what does this even mean?

Managers make more than employees, and advanced degrees make more than lesser degrees. I appreciate that IT is the land of the exception, but it's not terribly surprising the two would go hand in hand at some companies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm sorry but what does this even mean?

Managers make more than employees, and advanced degrees make more than lesser degrees. I appreciate that IT is the land of the exception, but it's not terribly surprising the two would go hand in hand at some companies.

To be clear, you can't get a management role here without at least a master's, doesn't matter in what, which in my opinion is fairly dumb and is basically the definition of "arbitrary checkbox for HR". Having a PhD in the mating rituals of south American spotted nematoads doesn't magically make you management material.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 5, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’ve got a ged. For you Canucks, that’s means I didn’t even finish high school. I dropped out.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To require it, even for internal promotion, is just silly. What that kind of policy signals is that the company is unable or unwilling to evaluate employees based on performance and aptitude.

Why pass up on a qualified candidate with that kind of policy? I understand for an outside hire, as you haven't had an opportunity to personally assess them, but for an internal promotion it is very short sighted.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I've finally made my way away from basic low level IT jobs.

It's weird because I don't know what to do with the downtime. I'm so used to someone being at my back to be busy or just look busy. Now the unsaid rule is that as long as I deal with my responsibilities no one cares what else I'm doing. I could be posting here all day as long as the job gets done.

I think I have PTSD from past jobs or something it's going take me a while to get used to this...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm on my first IT job and got handed a program written in basic, which has a time stamp of May 1987 in the program, and was asked to work on it a bit to make sure its compatible with all of their machines and to add some stuff to it. I politely asked if I could just rewrite it in Java or C++, the program itself is a very simple take in a txt file and dump out reports from said text files, then it would work on all the machines in the office.

Now I'm sitting here parsing 900 lines of code with no comment lines, while learning an archaic coding language, and the guy who developed it is either dead or retired in florida. Is this a common thing?

edit: and as far as I can tell there are entire chunks of code that do absolutely nothing :argh:.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm on my first IT job and got handed a program written in basic, which has a time stamp of May 1987 in the program, and was asked to work on it a bit to make sure its compatible with all of their machines and to add some stuff to it. When I politely asked if I could just rewrite it in Java or C++, the program itself is a very simple take in a txt file and dump out reports from said text files, then it would work on all the machines in the office.

Now I'm sitting here parsing 900 lines of code with no comment lines, while learning an archaic coding language, and the guy who developed it is either dead or retired in florida. Is this a common thing?

Haha, what the gently caress? No. No it is not.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm on my first IT job and got handed a program written in basic, which has a time stamp of May 1987 in the program, and was asked to work on it a bit to make sure its compatible with all of their machines and to add some stuff to it. I politely asked if I could just rewrite it in Java or C++, the program itself is a very simple take in a txt file and dump out reports from said text files, then it would work on all the machines in the office.

edit: and as far as I can tell there are entire chunks of code that do absolutely nothing :argh:.

That’s awesome. gently caress anyone that says running basic in 2018 is wrong. Goto 10.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jaegerx posted:

That’s awesome. gently caress anyone that says running basic in 2018 is wrong. Goto 10.

10 Open VisualStudio.exe
20 goodbye

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Defenestrategy posted:

The only time BASIC should be used in a modern IT office is as part of a joke. It's funnier if you say QBASIC though.